Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Deeming, Frederick: Deeming - A closer look - by JeffHamm 26 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by Wickerman 36 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by Wickerman 1 hour ago.
Pub Talk: President Joe Biden Drops Out of 2024 Presidential Race - by Lewis C 1 hour ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by Svensson 3 hours ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Deeming, Frederick: Deeming - A closer look - (19 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Evidence of innocence - (15 posts)
Other Mysteries: Bible John: A New Suspect by Jill Bavin-Mizzi - (11 posts)
Pub Talk: Election - (8 posts)
Pub Talk: President Joe Biden Drops Out of 2024 Presidential Race - (5 posts)
Pub Talk: Trump Shooting - (2 posts)

Morning Advertiser (London)
3 October 1888

Charles Ludwig was charged on remand at the Thames Police Court yesterday with having threatened to stab a woman named Burns and a man named Finlay, in Whitechapel. Yesterday fortnight a policeman on duty in the Minories heard a woman screaming, and on going into a court he found the prisoner and the woman Burns. He sent the prisoner away, and walked with the woman to the end of his beat, and she then made a statement to the effect that the accused had threatened her with a knife. The prisoner was subsequently arrested for having attempted to stab Finlay, with whom he quarrelled at a coffee-stall. It was stated in the course of the case that the prisoner had satisfactorily accounted for his movements on the nights the women Chapman and Nichols were murdered in Whitechapel. The accused was discharged.

The inquest on the woman murdered on Sunday morning in Berner-street was resumed by Mr. Wynne Baxter yesterday, and again adjourned. The evidence of the deceased woman's sister proved that the name of the victim was really Watts, and that she had long been living a dissolute life. No clue of any value has, so far, been obtained to the identity or whereabouts of the murderer. The body of the woman who was murdered and mutilated in Mitre-square remains unrecognised.

At Gateshead yesterday Waddle, the man charged with the Gateshead murder and mutilation, was brought before the magistrates. In answer to the charge he simply said "Yes," and a remand for eight days was granted.


Another ghastly discovery was made in London yesterday afternoon. About twenty minutes past three o'clock a carpenter, named Frederick Wildborn, employed by Messrs. J. Grover and Sons, builders, of Pimlico, who are the contractors for the new metropolitan police headquarters on the Thames Embankment, was working on the foundation, when he came across a neatly done up parcel which was secreted in one of the cellars. Wildborn was in search of timber when he found the parcel, which was tied up in paper, and measured about two and a half feet long by about two feet in width. It was opened, and the body of a woman, very much decomposed, was found carefully wrapped in a piece of cloth, which is supposed to be black petticoat. The trunk was minus the head, both arms, and both legs, and presented a ghastly spectacle. The officials of the works were immediately apprised of the discovery and the police were fetched. Dr. Bond, the divisional surgeon of the A division, and several other medical gentlemen were communicated with, and subsequently examined the remains, which were handed over to the care of some police officers, who were told off to see that they were not disturbed. The conclusion has been arrived at by the medical men that the trunk is that of a woman whose arms were recently discovered in two different parts of the metropolis. Dr. Nevill, who examined the arm of a woman found a few weeks ago in the Thames, off Ebury-bridge, said on that occasion that he did not think that it had been skillfully taken from the body, and this fact would appear to favour the theory that the arm, together with the one found in the grounds of the Blind Asylum, in the Lambeth-road, last week, belong to the trunk discovered yesterday, for it is stated that the limbs appear to have been taken from the body found yesterday in anything but a skilful manner.

The building which is in course of erection is the new police depot for London, the present scattered headquarters of the metropolitan police force and the Criminal Investigation Department in Great Scotland-yard and Whitehall-place having been found too small for the requirements of our police system. The builders have been working on the site for some considerable time now, but have only just completed the foundation. It was originally the site for the National Opera-house, and extends from the Thames Embankment to Cannon-row, Parliament-street, at the back of the St. Stephen's Club and the Westminster-bridge station on the District Railway. The prevailing opinion is that to place the body where it was found the person conveying it must have scaled the eight feet hoarding which encloses the works and, carefully avoiding the watchmen who do duty by night, must have dropped it where it was found. There appears to be little doubt that the parcel had been in the cellar for some considerable time.

A man employed upon the works, who was one of the first to see the remains, made the following statement to a representative of the Press:- "I went down into one of the cellars, which is about 20ft. by 15ft. in size, to look round, when I saw a parcel lying in a corner as though it had been thrown there carelessly. I might say that the cellar is really a part of the half-finished basement of what are to be the new police offices. The parcel was a paper one, which could be easily carried under the arm. When the parcel was opened, I saw that it contained the trunk of a woman, wrapped up in a coarse cloth. In cutting off the legs a portion of the abdomen had been cut away. The head and arms had been cut off close to the trunk. The police have been digging up rubbish in any place in which it seemed likely that more remains could be hidden, but I don't think they have found anything more. The contents of the parcel were very much decomposed, and looked to me as though they had been in the place where they were found for three weeks or a month. My opinion is that the person putting the parcel where it was found must have got over the hoarding in Cannon-row, and then thrown the bundle down."

Another workman says that the parcel was discovered by a man whom he only knows by the name of "George," who went down to get some timber. In his opinion the parcel had been there for quite three weeks, as it was terribly decomposed.

A third workman, who has a thorough knowledge of the facts connected with the finding of the remains, has made the following statement:- "As one of our carpenters was putting away his tools, at about five o'clock on Monday night, in one of the vaults which are to form the foundation of the main building of the new police offices, he saw what seemed to be a heap of paper. His passing thought being that it was merely a bundle of canvas which was being used on the works, he mentioned the matter to no one, and went home, thinking no more about it. Yesterday morning, however, when he went to fetch his tools, he noticed a very peculiar smell proceeding from the dark corner, but at the time he made no attempt to ascertain the cause. The matter, however, had taken possession of his mind, and later in the day he mentioned the circumstance to one or two of his fellow workmen. They at once decided to tell the foreman. This was done, and the foreman, accompanied by some of the men, proceeded to the spot. One of the labourers was called to shift the parcel. It was then opened, and the onlookers were horrified to find that it contained a human body. The legs, arms, and head were missing, and the body presented a most sickening spectacle. It had evidently been dead for many days, as decomposition was far advanced. 'I never saw such a dreadful sight in my life' - said the man - 'and the smell was dreadful.' After we had got over the first surprise and nausea we sent for the police, and a doctor was also sent for. We could see that the body was that of a full-grown woman, and when the doctor came he said the same thing. Almost immediately after that Dr. Bond, of the Westminster Hospital, came and saw the body. He found that it was very brown, and I believe he said that it was the body from which the arms found in the Thames a few days ago had been cut. The body was wrapped in what looked like part of an old black dress of very common material, and it is a strange thing that other parts of the same dress have been found in other parts of the yard. The police took possession of the remains, and gave orders that no stranger was to be admitted to the enclosure. The body could not have been where we found it above two or three days, because men are frequently passing the spot. The place is very dark, and it is possible that it might have escaped notice on that account; but, now I come to think of it, I know for a fact that it was not there last Friday, because we had occasion to do something at that very spot." Asked for his opinion as to how the parcel got into such a curious place, the workman said that the person who put the bundle there could not very well have got into the enclosure from the Embankment side, as not only would the risk of detection be very great, but he would stand a good chance of breaking his neck. He further stated that the parcel must have been got in from the Cannon-row side - a very dark and lonely spot, although within twenty yards of the main thoroughfare, through which passes all the traffic going southwest from London - but he could not imagine how the person could get past the watchman. When the discovery became known some 50 or 60 people assembled round the hoarding which encloses the new works, and at half-past seven o'clock, when the police arrived with an ambulance, large crowds were on the spot, and followed the remains to the mortuary. Dr. Bond did not make an examination of the body last night. On being asked by a reporter his opinion as to whether the arms above referred to belonged to the body recently discovered, the doctor said that it was impossible for him to make any definite statement until after he had made a careful examination. There was, however, a possibility of the limbs and trunk being those of the same person - a fact which is eagerly anticipated by the police authorities who are prosecuting inquiries in the case now known as the Pimlico mystery.

A later account says that from the way in which the body has been treated it is impossible that it could have been spirited away from a dissecting-room after having answered the purposes of lawful operations. Dr. Bond, the police divisional surgeon, who had the trunk handed over to him, had it conveyed to the mortuary early in the evening. This was not done, however, before a careful examination of the remains had been made by Dr. Bond and Mr. Charles Hebbert. Persons who have seen the trunk describe it as being in a particularly advanced stage of decomposition, so much so that it was pronounced by the medical gentlemen present dangerous for anyone to touch it with the naked hand. One end was quite black, and upon it being taken to the mortuary disinfectants were freely used, and it was then placed in spirit to await a further examination, which will take place early this morning. The lower portion of the trunk, from the ribs downward, has been removed. It is pronounced by the medical gentlemen to have belonged to a remarkably fine young woman, and this favours the theory that it belonged to the body of which the arm found on the 11th ult. in the Thames near Grosvenor-road formed a part. It will be remembered that on that date the right arm of a woman was discovered in the river, and Dr. Neville pronounced it to have belonged to a woman apparently 25 to 30 years of age. This limb had been in the water for about three days, so that if yesterday's discovery is connected with it, the date of the murder would be somewhere about the 8th of September, upon which day the body of Annie Chapman was discovered in Hanbury-street, Whitechapel. A theory that the Pimlico mystery has some connexion with the Whitechapel murders has been built up on the fact that certain portions of the abdomen are missing. There is another theory, that the woman of whose body the trunk and arms have been discovered, has been the victim of an unlawful operation, and that in order to conceal this the miscreant has removed that portion of the body which would have established the fact. The woman to whom the arm first discovered belonged must have been, at any rate, in a different station of life to the Whitechapel victims, the contour of the limb and the delicacy of the hand clearly indicating this. Then there was the discovery of a woman's arm in the grounds of the Blind Asylum, in South London, a few days ago, and about which the police authorities have been so reticent. All the portions found were in a state which would fix the date of the murder as about September the 8th. So far this is practically the chief clue which the police have. The next is that the woman, in all probability, belonged to Pimlico. The decomposed condition of the remains affords but a slight indication of the complexion of the woman, though the hair upon the arm points to her having been a dark woman. No information has yet been received by the police which is likely to be of service in establishing the young woman's identity. Dr. Neville, the divisional police-surgeon for Pimlico, who examined the arm found in the Thames on the 11th September, has not yet been called to see the trunk, nor does he expect to be called. In his opinion the time which Dr. Bond allows for the decease of the mutilated victim would agree with his own conclusions respecting the arm. In answer to inquiries at King-street and Scotland-yard (both the police-office and the Criminal Investigation Department), the police authorities reply that they "know nothing," except that a body has been found.


Two City police-constables yesterday morning supplied what is at present the clearest clue to the identity of one of the women murdered. Having seen at the mortuary in Golden-lane the mutilated body of the woman murdered in Mitre-square, they expressed to their superior officers the opinion that it was that of a woman who had been taken to the station by them a short time ago for drunkenness. Owing to the dreadfully disfigured condition of the face they could not, however, be absolutely certain. The woman to whom the constables refer was not charged with any offence, but when detained at the station she gave the name of Kelly, and said she was living at 6, Fashion-street. It will be remembered that one of the two pawntickets picked up near the scene of the murder stated that Jane Kelly, of 6, Dorset-street, had pawned a pair of boots on the 28th ult. with Mr. Joseph Jones, of Church-street, Spitalfields, for half a crown. The other pawnticket was dated the 31st of August last, and showed that with the same pawnbroker a flannel shirt had been pawned in the name of Emily Burrell, 32, White's-row. It was at once remarked that it was strange the name Kelly should become associated with the murdered woman through such different channels, and the detectives continued their inquiries with the object of ascertaining if anything was known of a woman named Kelly at any of the addresses given. No one in Fashion-street knew anything of such a person, whilst the people living at the addresses in White's-row and Dorset-street were also ignorant of any such names.

Little has transpired to throw any fresh light on the Berner-street murder. Up to Monday nothing was known as to the movements of the unfortunate woman after she left the lodging-house in Flower and Dean-street at seven o'clock on Saturday evening. Information, however, has since been received that the deceased was seen with a man on that same evening prior to the murder, and a description of the person in question has been circulated by the police. He is said to be 28 years of age, about 5ft. 7in. in height, and of dark complexion. He had no whiskers, and wore dark clothes, having on a black felt hat, which was stained. Two men are still detained at the Leman-street police station on suspicion, but so weak is the evidence against them that there can be little doubt that they will be almost immediately discharged. From an early hour yesterday morning a large crowd collected in front of the yard in Berner-street, but the drenching showers which fell in the course of the afternoon soon dispersed the people. Several rumours which were prevalent in the course of the day with reference to the International Club in Berner-street have since been contradicted. One of the reports was that during the previous night shouts of "Murder!" and "Police!" had been heard in the immediate vicinity of the club. The accuracy of the rumour was at once denied by the police, and their refutation has since been supported by the members of the club and the inmates of the clubhouse. Another rumour alleged that the murderer at the same time that he took the life of "Long Liz" also availed himself of the opportunity to write with chalk on the brick wall some words calculated to provoke no small amount of exasperation in a certain quarter. Further, it was stated that Sir Charles Warren, when he saw the writing on the wall early on the Sunday morning after the murder, ordered it to be washed out; and that that direction was implicitly carried out by the police. A careful examination of the wall, however, has revealed the fact that the whole story is a fabrication, for the brickwork does not show any of those marks which would result from such an operation. The police have arrived at the conclusion that on the Sunday morning when the murder of "Long Liz" was committed the perpetrator of the deed must have had a very narrow escape from capture. It is their belief, and also that of many members of the International Club, that when the steward of the club, Mr. Diemschitz, entered the yard in his trap at one o'clock in the morning the miscreant was about to carry out the mutilation of his victim. There is little doubt that the unexpected entry of the vehicle disturbed him in his diabolical work, and compelled him to retire to another part of the yard. The explanation offered as to his escape is that when the alarm was raised and the members of the club rushed pell-mell downstairs into the yard, he mingled amongst them, and succeeded in effecting his escape before the police appeared upon the scene. The reinforcements of police which have since Sunday been drafted into Whitechapel still remain at the posts allotted them. It is not unnatural that, in face of the state of affairs, a feeling of uneasiness should be abroad. The impression, indeed, is rapidly gaining ground, not only amongst the population of the East-end, but also the police themselves, that the six undetected murders will be followed by others equally brutal, and that the murderer, if caught at all, will be caught red-handed.

Mr. Wynne E. Baxter, the coroner for East Middlesex, resumed the inquest in the Vestry Hall, Cable-street, yesterday, into the circumstances attending the murder of the woman, Elizabeth Stride, or Watts, who was found with her throat cut in a yard off Berner-street, Whitechapel, early on Sunday morning.

One of the jurymen failed to appear, but the Coroner said he would not entreat his recognisances, and the inquest proceeded with 17 jurymen.

Police-constable Henry Lamb, 252 H, deposed - About one o'clock on Sunday morning last I was in Commercial-road, between Christian-street and Batty-street. Two men came running to me shouting something. I went towards them. They said, "Come on, there has been another murder." I asked "Where?" As they got to the corner of Berner-street, they pointed down the street. Seeing people moving about some distance down Berner-street I ran, followed by another constable, 436 H. I went into the gateway of No. 40, Berner-street, and I saw something dark lying on the right-hand side, close to the gate. I turned my lamp on and found it was a woman. I observed that her throat was cut, and she appeared to be dead. I at once sent another constable for the nearest doctor. I sent a young man who was standing by to inform the inspector at the station of the occurrence. When I looked round the yard after I arrived, there were about thirty people there. Some of them had followed me in. No one was near the body when I got into the yard and no one was touching the body. As I was examining to see whether there were any other injuries beyond that on the throat, the crowd pressed close in. I begged of them to keep back as they might get blood on their clothes and get themselves into trouble. I put my hand on the face and on the arm. The face was slightly warm. I felt the wrist, but could not feel the pulse. I put my hand on the wrist, but the pulse had ceased to beat. The body was lying on the left side, and her arm was lying under. I did not examine to see if there was anything in the hand. The right arm was lying across the breast. Her face was not more than five or six inches from the wall. Her clothes were not disturbed. No part of her legs was visible, and the boots could scarcely be seen excepting the soles. She looked as if she had lain quietly down. There was no appearance of her having struggled in any way. Her dress was not crumpled. The blood was liquid in some places and in others congealed. It had run close to the door of the club. The congealed blood was that on the ground nearest to her. That farther away was still flowing. I could hardly say whether any blood was flowing from her throat when I first saw the body. If there was it was a very small quantity. Dr. Blackwell was the first doctor to arrive, and he did so in ten or twelve minutes after my arrival. I had no watch with me, and so I only guess the time. I did not hear from those by that anyone had touched the body before my arrival. Dr. Blackwell examined the body and the surrounding ground and wall. Dr. Phillips arrived about 20 minutes after that. Inspector Pinhorn had arrived before that. I had the gate shut before the inspector came, and directly after Dr. Blackwell had finished his examination of the body; in fact, while the examination was going on. The gates were wide open, and though the feet of the deceased came very close to the gate they did not prevent its being closed without disturbing the body. I put a constable at the gate with instructions to let no one either in or out. I then went into the club, and started from the doorway, so that no one should get out before I saw him. I turned my light on to the different parties there. I examined a number of their hands by taking them up and looking at them. I looked at all their hands as they hung by their sides. I also examined their clothes. There were from 15 to 20 persons there. They were in the room on the ground floor. I went into every room, including that in which there is a stage. I saw no traces of blood anywhere. I did not stop the entrance to the front door of the club, as I had not a policeman to put there. I did not see anyone leave the club. I did not try the front door to see whether it was locked, and I did not see the key in it. I went into the yard and looked into the cottages there. The occupants of them were all in bed, except a man who came down half-dressed to let me in. One of the cottages was locked and the other unlocked. All the people in the cottages were undressed. I examined the recess in the yard, and examined the dustbin. I did not look over the wooden partition in the yard. The people in the cottages seemed frightened. They were not many minutes in answering the door. I did not tell them what was the matter. Chief Inspector West and Dr. Phillips had arrived by the time I got back after making this examination.

The Coroner. - Was there anything to prevent a man escaping while you were examining the body? - There was a lot of people inside as well as outside the gate. It was possible for him to get away, but I should think he would have been sure to have been noticed with marks of blood upon him. There was much confusion, and the attention of the people was turned towards the body.

Do you think the person might have escaped before you arrived? - It was quite possible; indeed, more likely before than afterwards.

Detective-inspector Reid. - How long before you were called had you passed the spot?

Witness. - I am not on the Berner-street beat. I am on the Commercial-road. I had passed the end of Berner-street perhaps ten minutes before I was called.

The Coroner. - When you were called in what direction were you going?

Witness. - I was coming towards Berner-street. Police-constable Smith is on the Berner-street beat. There is a constable on fixed-point duty at the corner of Grove-street, Commercial-road, and he came off duty at one a.m. The man on the beat then has to do his duty.

The Coroner. - Some of these fixed-point men are on duty all night?

Detective-inspector Reid. - Very few of them. The object of having fixed point men is to save people the trouble of running all the way to the station if anything happens.

Examination continued. - I saw nothing suspicious at the time I passed Berner-street, before one o'clock. There was the usual number of rows on Saturday night, but nothing was suspicious.

By the Foreman of the Jury. - I should think I could see anyone running along Berner-street from No. 40 from my position in Commercial-road, although not very distinctly. You could see something moving.

The coroner stated that there were four lamps between Commercial-road and 40, Berner-street, a distance of 350ft.

Witness stated that there were three or four lamps. Most of the side streets are dark. Berner-street is lighted about as well as the other side streets in the neighbourhood. A number of fresh lamps have been put up lately in some of the side streets. Berner-street is rather dark. There are no public-house lights in that part of Berner-street; besides, they would have been out at this time.

By the Foreman. - I was engaged in the yard all the night long. Other men went to examine the yards between Berner and Batty-streets. I started to take the body to the mortuary about half-past four in the morning, but I was brought back.

Edward Spooner deposed - I live at 26, Fairclough-street, and I am a horsekeeper at Messrs. Meredith's. On Sunday morning, between half-past twelve and one o'clock, I was standing outside the "Bective," at the corner of Christian-street and Fairclough-street, along with a young woman. We had been in a beershop at the corner of Settles-street, Commercial-road, and remained till closing time. I stood at the top of Christian-street for a few minutes, and then walked down the street. We had been standing there about 25 minutes, I suppose, when two Jews came running along. They ????(hallosed?) out "Murder!" "Police!" They ran as far as Grove-street and turned back. I stopped them, and asked them what was the matter. They said, "There has been a woman murdered in Berner-street." I went with them to the yard adjoining No. 40. I saw a young woman lying just inside the gate. There were about fifteen people in the yard standing round - most of them Jews. They were not touching her. I could see it was a young woman before they struck a light. One of the Jews struck a match and I lifted up the chin. I put my hand under the chin and lifted it. The chin was slightly warm, as if chilled. Blood was still flowing from the throat. I did not feel any other part of the body. I noticed she had a piece of paper doubled up in her right hand, and a red and white flower pinned to her breast. I am sure I did not move the position of her head at all. The body was lying on one side, with the face turned towards the wall. The blood was running down the gutter. I stood by the side of the deceased about five minutes, till Police-constable Lamb came. I did not notice anyone leave while I stood there, and I cannot say whether anyone did or not. I should think, however, no one did, as there were too many people about. I believe it was about 25 minutes to one o'clock when I ran round to the yard. The legs were drawn up. I noticed none of the clothes were disturbed. As soon as Police-constable Lamb arrived I stepped back. I helped him to fasten the gate. Before I left I was examined by Dr. Phillips, and gave my name and address. Directly I got inside the yard I could see there was a woman there.

By a Juryman. - I did not meet anyone as I was hastening to Berner-street, except Mr. Harris, who was coming out of his house in Tiger Bay when he heard the policeman's whistle. He came running after me.

Mary Malcolm, called and examined. - I live at 50, Eagle-street, Red Lion-square, Holborn. I am married. My husband, Andrew Malcolm, who is a tailor, is alive. I have seen the body in the mortuary. I saw it on Sunday, and twice yesterday.

Who is it? - My sister, Elizabeth Watts.

You have no doubt about that? - Not the slightest.

You had some doubt about it? - I had at first, but now I have none whatever.

When did you last see her alive? - Last Thursday, at a quarter before seven o'clock in the evening. She came to me where I work at the tailoring at 59, Red Lion-street, Holborn. I am a trousers maker. She came to me to ask me to give her a little assistance, which I have been in the habit of doing for the last five years. I gave her a shilling, and a little short black jacket. That is not the jacket she was wearing when found. She was only a few moments with me. She did not say where she was going.

Where was she living? - I don't know exactly, but I knew it was somewhere in the neighbourhood of the tailoring Jews, and somewhere at the East-end. I understood she was living in lodging-houses. She never told me where she was living exactly.

Did you know what she was doing for a living?

Witness(sobbing). - I had my doubts.

Was she the worse for drink at the time? - No, she was sober when she came to me.

But sometimes she was the worse for drink? - Unfortunately that was a failing of hers.

How old was she? - Thirty-seven on the 27th of last month.

Was she married? - Yes, to the son of Mr. Watts, a large wine and spirit merchant in Walcot-street, Bath. I believe her husband's name was Edward.

Is he in partnership with his father? - I believe her husband is now in America. His father sent him away.

Had the husband got into trouble? - No.

What did his father send him away for? - On account of my sister.

When did she leave him? - About seven or eight years ago; I cannot say exactly. She had two children, a boy and a girl. Her husband sent her home to my poor mother with the two children. The little girl, I believe, is dead, and the boy is at a boarding-school. I believe Miss Watts, the sister of her husband, has the boy. Her mother died in 1883.

Was your sister, the deceased, subject to epileptic fits? - No, not so far as I know. She was a very excitable woman, and had drunken fits.

Do you know has she ever been before the Thames police magistrates? - Yes, I believe so.

On a charge of drunkenness? - Yes.

Has she not been let off in consequence of its being supposed she was subject to epileptic fits? - Yes, I believe so.

You don't believe she was subject to them? - No, I am certain she was not. The deceased lived with a man. I do not know his name.

Detective-inspector Reid.- Did your sister live with a man who kept a coffee-stall at Poplar? - Yes. His name was not Stride. I think it was Dent. I will try to find out by to-morrow. This man went to sea, and was wrecked on the Isle of St. Paul.

The Coroner. - How long ago was that? - About three and a half years. I can tell you all to-morrow.

Has she lived with anyone since then? - Not to my knowledge, but there is a man who says he has lived with her. I never heard of her getting into any trouble except getting locked up for drunkenness. She always brought her troubles to me. I never heard of any one touching her. She was too good to quarrel. She was a free hearted soul who would give her heart to any one. She never told me she was afraid of anyone. Her nickname was "Long Liz." I never heard the name Stride except in connexion with the man who now says she lived with him. I do not believe she did live with him, or she would have told me. She used to come to me every Saturday, when I always gave her two shillings. She did not come to me last Saturday, and I thought it strange at the time, as for the last three years she never missed coming to me on a Saturday. She always came at four p.m., and met me at the corner of Chancery-lane. Last Saturday I went there at 3.30 and remained until five p.m., but she did not come. On Sunday when I read the paper I thought that as my sister had not turned up on the Saturday it might be her, so I went to Whitechapel to look for her. I described her to a constable, and was directed to St. George's mortuary, where I saw the body. I did not at first recognise it, as I could not see clearly in the gaslight. I had a presentiment that the woman was my sister between Saturday night and Sunday morning. As I was lying in bed about 1.30 on Sunday morning there came a kind of pressure across me, followed by the sound of three distinct kisses. I then felt that something had happened to my sister. When I read about the murder afterwards my presentiments were strengthened, and I determined to make inquiries.

The Coroner (to the jury). - The only reason I allow this evidence is because the witness has been doubtful about the identification.

Witness. - If you will allow me a little time I will write to Bath, and then you can get the body identified by others.

The Coroner. - Did your sister ever break a leg?- Not to my knowledge. She had a small black mark on her right leg, and that mark I saw on the corpse. My husband never saw her but once. He would not see her. I have a brother and a sister, but they have not seen the deceased for years. My sister is a lady, and it would be the death of her to come here. The disgrace would kill her. There may be people at Bath who would identify the deceased. There is no one at the place where I work who could do so, because I kept the fact of her existence from everyone. I had to hide my disgrace. I cannot recognise the clothes on the corpse, because I never noticed what my sister wore. She once left a baby naked outside my door. It was one of her own. I believe the father was a policeman. I kept it until she fetched it away again. It is now dead, I believe.

By a Juryman. - I did not think it strange that she should come to me last Thursday. She came to where I worked and asked me for assistance. I said, "Elizabeth, you are a curse to me," and I gave her a shilling. The two shillings a week which I allowed her regularly was for her lodging money. I have not a shadow of doubt that the deceased is my sister.

Dr. Frederick William Blackwell, of 100, Commercial-road, said: At ten minutes past one o'clock on Sunday morning I was called by a policeman to go to Berner-street. My assistant, Mr. Johnson, went on with him, and I followed as soon as I was dressed. I consulted my watch on my arrival, and it was just 1.16. The woman was lying on her left side, completely across the yard. Her legs were drawn up, and her feet were close against the wall, on the right side of the yard passage. Her head was resting almost in the cart wheel rut, and her feet were about three yards from the gateway. Her neck and chest were quite warm, and the face and legs slightly so. The hands were cold. Her right arm was lying across the chest, and the hand was smeared with blood. The left hand was partly closed, and contained a small packet of cachous wrapped in tissue paper. There were no rings or marks of rings on the hand. The appearance of the face was quite placid. The mouth was slightly open. There was a check silk scarf around the neck, the bow of which was turned to the left side and pulled very tight. There was a long incision in the neck, which exactly corresponded with the lower border of the scarf, which was above the wound. The lower edge of the scarf was slightly frayed, as if by a sharp knife. The incision in the neck commenced on the left side two inches below the angle of the jaw, and almost in a direct line with it. It nearly severed the vessels on that side, cut the windpipe completely in two, and terminated on the opposite side one and a half inches below the angle of the right jaw. The blood was running down the gutter into the drain. There was about one pound of clotted blood close to the neck. There were no spots of blood, but there was a little trodden about near to where the body was lying. There was no blood on the soles of the boots as far as I could see by the light, which was a policeman's lantern. There was no blood on any part of the clothing. A bonnet was lying on the ground a few inches from her head. Her dress was undone at the top. I noticed a bunch of flowers on her breast. It is not possible that the injuries could have been self inflicted. I do not think the deceased could have been dead more than twenty minutes, or at the most half an hour when I saw her. It was a very mild night. She would have bled comparatively slowly on account of the vessels on one side only being severed, and the artery not completely cut through. The body heat would have been retained slightly longer on that account. After the injuries had been inflicted it would be impossible for the deceased to utter a cry. I formed the opinion that the murderer took hold of the scarf which I found tightly pulled round her neck, and pulled the woman backwards, and then cut her throat. I could not say that the scarf was sufficiently tense to have prevented her from crying out.

The inquiry was then adjourned until this afternoon.

Last night Mrs. Mary Malcolm, who was examined at the coroner's inquest yesterday afternoon, made a further important statement. She said she had again seen the body, and she was confident it was that of her sister. Someone else came to look after a lost friend, but he stated he did not know the deceased. She could not answer all the questions put by the coroner because she was so upset, her memory failed her, but they had come into her mind since - she had reasons for not wishing to answer others. She then volunteered the following statement of the deceased's life. Her sister when a young woman entered Mr. Watt's family at Bath as a servant. Her young master, young Mr. Watts, became enamoured of her, and she became enceinte by him. He afterwards married her secretly, and then took her to his father's house and introduced her as his wife. The family at first recognised her, and she had a splendid house and a brougham. She, however, was fond of drink, and then became intimate with the porter. Her husband sent her home to her mother, where she remained till after the birth of a child. When she returned to her husband's house at Bath she found the home had been sold up, and her husband sent away to America by his father. The family discarded her, and she then took up with a policeman in her poverty, by whom she had a child in Holloway workhouse. After that a man at Poplar took up with her. She knew who that man was, but she had reasons for not wanting to say. When she was with this man they kept a coffee-shop at Poplar. Inspector Reid thought it was Stride, and asked her some questions about him, and she had seen Stride, but he was not the man, and the reason she did not answer the questions was because there was an affair she did not want to come out. When reminded that by keeping anything back she might be defeating the ends of justice, she said she did not think she was, but if she thought so she would tell. In reply to another question as to whether the deceased had ever had a quarrel with the man who kept the coffee-shop, or any other man that might have owed her a grudge, Mrs. Malcolm said, "Well, yes. She had a fearful quarrel with the man who kept the coffee-shop, but she was of such a kind disposition that she (Mrs. Malcom) did not think he could owe her (Mrs. Watts) any grudge, as, poor dear, she bore him no malice. But the real fact was that there was a stabbing affair. He either stabbed her, or attempted to stab her, and the police were after him. He was a ship builder by trade, so he took a ship to go to New Zealand. On the voyage out the ship was wrecked off the island of St. Paul, and nearly all were lost. She told the coroner he was wrecked, but she did not tell him all. She stopped there, but the real fact was that he was almost about the only one that was saved, for though he was wrecked on the island of St. Paul, he was picked up by another ship and eventually succeeded in reaching New Zealand. She knew this, because she had another sister living in New Zealand, in a good position, and he went to their house." In answer to further questions, she said it might be possible that he had come back to England, but though her sister had been a curse to several families, she could not bring herself to think that he still bore her any malice. The date of the stabbing affair which caused him to leave the country was about 1882. One of her reasons for not wishing to give his real name to the coroner or to the inspector was because he was very respectably connected at Poplar. He had three brothers there now, and the family are ship builders and ship owners.

Yesterday, at the Thames Police Court, Charles Ludwig, 40, a decently-attired German, who professed not to speak English, was brought up, on remand, charged with threatening to stab Elizabeth Burns, of Flower and Dean-street, Spitalfields, and also with threatening to stab Alexander Finlay, of Leman-street, Whitechapel. - Elizabeth Burns stated that at about half-past three on the morning of Tuesday fortnight she was in the Whitechapel-road. The prisoner accosted her, and they went up Butcher's-row. The prisoner put his leg against a gate and took her inside. He put his arm round her neck, and she saw an open knife in his hand. She screamed, and two policemen walked in. The prisoner did not say anything at the time, but before that he had been talking to her in English. After the police came the witness walked out. She heard him tell the police he was a barber. - The prisoner, through the medium of Mr. Smedje, the interpreter, said, "In the name of all that's good, why should I wish to do it? Why did the police not take me?" - The evidence of Finlay showed that at three o'clock on the morning of Tuesday fortnight he was standing at a coffee-stall in the Whitechapel-road, when Ludwig came up to the spot in a state of intoxication. The person in charge of the stall refused to serve him. Ludwig seemed much annoyed, and said to the witness, "What are you looking at?" He then pulled out a long-bladed knife and threatened to stab witness with it. Ludwig followed the witness round the stall, and made several attempts to stab him, until witness threatened to knock a dish on his head. A constable came up and witness gave the accused into custody. - Constable 221 K said that when he was called to take the prisoner into custody, he found him in a very excited condition. The witness had previously received information that Ludwig was wanted in the City jurisdiction for attempting to cut a woman's throat with a razor. On the way to the station the prisoner dropped a long-bladed knife, which was open, and when he was searched a razor and a long-bladed pair of scissors were found on him. - Constable John Johnson, 866 City, deposed that early on the morning of Tuesday fortnight he was on duty in the Minories, when he heard loud screams of "Murder" proceeding from a dark court. The court in question leads to some railway arches, and is a well-known dangerous locality. Witness went down the court, and found the prisoner with a woman. Witness asked what he was doing there, and he replied "Nothing." The woman, who appeared to be in a very agitated and frightened condition, said, "Oh, policeman, do take me out of this!" She was so frightened that she could then make no further explanation. Witness got her and the accused out of the court, and sent him off. He walked with the woman to the end of his beat, and she said, "Dear me, he frightened me very much when he pulled a big knife out." Witness said, "Why didn't you tell me that at the time?" and she replied, "I was too much frightened." He then went to look for the prisoner, but could not find him, and he warned several other constables and gave a description of the prisoner. - Inspector Pimley, H division, stated that the prisoner had fully accounted for his whereabouts on the nights of the recent murders. - Mr. Saunders, taking into consideration that the prisoner had been in custody a fortnight, now allowed him to be discharged.

At the Guildhall Police Court yesterday August Nochild, 52, described as a tailor, giving an address at Christian-street, Whitechapel, was charged, before Mr. Alderman Stone, with assaulting Sarah M'Farley, an unfortunate, by attempting to strangle her in Holborn-circus. - The prosecutrix stated that she lived with a friend in Upper Rathbone-place. She met the prisoner at about half-past twelve o'clock that (Tuesday) morning in New Oxford-street. He asked he to go to his house in Whitechapel. She refused to go, and he seized her by the throat and said, "I will murder you if you don't. I have murdered the women in Whitechapel, and I would like to do another." She screamed, and a police-sergeant came up. She gave the prisoner into custody. - Sergeant Perry, 77, deposed that he was in Holborn at about one o'clock that morning, when he saw the prisoner speaking to the prosecutrix. He then saw prisoner suddenly seize prosecutrix by the throat, and heard the woman cry out "Murder" and "Police." The witness ran towards them, and seized the accused. The woman charged prisoner with assault, and witness took him into custody. - Mr. Alderman Stone did not think there was any foundation for the charge, and dismissed the case.

At the Hammersmith Police Court yesterday Arthur Williams, whose address was given in Beaconsfield-terrace, Leytonstone, was brought before Mr. Curtis-Bennett on a charge of having been found wandering in High-road, Chiswick, apparently insane. - It appeared that the prisoner went to the Chiswick police-station and referred to the Whitechapel murders, stating that he knew where to find the man. As he appeared strange in his manner, the police detained him. - The prisoner said he did not know what he had done. He made no statement but what he could substantiate. - A written statement was handed up to the magistrate, who read it. The following are extracts: - "I am Williams. Will you send to Whitehall-place and tell them that I am going on to Feltham? It is of no use to employ men unless they are men of education. You will find the ordinary constable smoking his pipe, not looking after the Whitechapel murderer. Why do they not pay them as they do in France..... You will make a good pump if you have a good handle..... Colonel Warren is no use. Monro is the man to look after them. I know the man well, and will find him out. I do not want the reward, but I shall go mad soon if he is not found out. I am off to Hounslow and Feltham at once." - Mr. Curtis-Bennett, after reading the document, said it was very incoherent. The daughter of the prisoner came forward and stated that her father had had a sunstroke. He left home on Sunday. - Mr. Curtis-Bennett accepted the prisoner's recognisances for his good behaviour for six months, his friends expressing their willingness to take him home.

Last night a special meeting of the Vigilance Committee, of which Mr. Lusk is chairman, took place at the committee-rooms, 74, Mile-end-road, to discuss the refusal of the Home Secretary to issue offers of a reward for the conviction of the man wanted, and to receive the expected replies from her Majesty the Queen and the Home Secretary to the petitions presented to them.

Mr. Lusk said that nothing but the extreme urgency of the case, and the knowledge the committee had that other murders of women would probably follow the wholesale massacres going on in East London, could have warranted the committee in sending through him the appeal to the Queen. He knew, as others knew, that the heart of her Majesty was always open to a direct appeal for justice, mercy, and charity, and that if her Ministers offended the people, the people could fearlessly approach her, with a certainty that she would, whilst strictly adhering to the great rules of the Constitution, use her beneficent influence in the interests of her subjects. He believed that the poorer and more forlorn that subject was the more the sympathies of the Queen would be manifested. - (Cheers.) Having, therefore, satisfied themselves that the people of England desired the offer of a reward, and having attempted in vain to move the Home Secretary to a sense of the great necessity existing for such reward, it became a paramount duty of the committee, acting for thousands of the inhabitants of East London, to appeal direct to the throne, and that had been done, and was approved by the Press and the people. The apathy of the Home Secretary and Sir Charles Warren had been utterly scouted by the city of London police authorities, who had offered a reward for the apprehension of the miscreant. - (Cheers.) So far as the system of detection was concerned, the Metropolitan and City sleuthhounds were in perfect accord and on the track of the villain who was raging like a wild tiger in East London. He could only hope that the united efforts of the police would be successful in hunting down the most execrable wretch that had ever disgraced our nineteenth century civilisation. - (Cheers.)

Mr. B. Harris, of the Mile-end-road, said that nothing had struck him so forcibly as the fact that, whereas the Home Office had persistently repudiated the idea of a reward, notwithstanding the dreadful and uninterrupted series of murders in their district, yet the moment the bloodthirsty wretch invaded the territory of the City proper the Commissioner, all honour to him, announced the offer of 500 for the monster's apprehension. There would be no danger, he contended, to any man who tackled the murderer, for the fiend at large was probably a rank coward at heart, and the moment he was tackled he would throw up his hands and cry for mercy.

The Hon. Sec. announced further subscriptions, including sums from the Canterbury and Paragon Music-halls, the manager of the company, &c., and the receipt of many letters containing suggestions as to the elucidation of the mystery.

An intimation at this stage reached the meeting that some private detectives wished to be engaged in the case on behalf of the Vigilance Committee, but Mr. Reeves and Mr. Aarons announced that they had already three detectives at work, and a band of twenty young gentlemen had gathered for the purpose of patrolling one section of the haunted district, with the view of assisting the police in bringing the offender to justice. The services of these gentlemen were therefore declined.

A third letter, sent by the committee to the Home Secretary on Sunday last, asking him to reconsider his decision as to the offer of a reward, was read by the secretary, who announced that no reply had been vouchsafed to that communication. Another letter was read from a firm of solicitors, offering legal advice to the committee gratis, in any steps taken against a possible murderer.

Mr. Aarons said that he regretted very much that the metropolitan police had been forestalled by the City police authorities in the offer of the reward.

Mr. Reeves said that the offer of a reward by a Government was an incentive to everyone to hunt down the murderer.

Mr. Aarons said that he was sorry to say that the reward in question was not to be given to any member of a police force, which he thought a pity. Of course the commissioners had a good reason for the reservation in question, but still he had heard his own views expressed by a great many persons.

Mr. Harris said that the reservation extended to a member of any police force throughout the country, which appeared somewhat hard, for there were many hundreds of country police-officers in London every day who might try conclusions at a moment's notice with the murderer, and risk their lives in the struggle.

Several other gentlemen having spoken to the same effect, a vote of thanks to the City Commissioners of Police was passed by acclamation, and the meeting was further adjourned.

At the annual dinner of the Royal East Berks Agricultural Association, held at Maidenhead last evening, Sir George Russell, M.P. for the Wokingham division of East Berks, made reference to the Whitechapel murders. He said the Home Secretary was blamed for not offering a reward for the detection of the murderer, but he reminded his hearers that Mr. Matthews was acting on a resolution adopted by his predecessor, Sir William Harcourt. This step was the result of careful consideration and inquiry. He added an expression of his belief that in no single case had the discovery of a murder followed on the issue of a Government offer of a reward.

The authorities at the chief office of the City police, Old Jewry, had a man detained there some time on suspicion of connexion with the murders, but a representative of the Press Association was informed that the man's explanation was quite satisfactory, and he would be released.

Mr. Sinclair, M.P. for the Ayr burghs, addresses his constituents at Ayr last night, and in course of his remarks referred to the Whitechapel murders. He defended his vote in favour of having the London police put under the control of the ratepayers. He did not venture to say that if they had been under the control of the ratepayers the police would have done much better, but he thought he might venture to say they could not have done much worse.

W. Wess, secretary of the International Club, Berner-street, called at our office at midnight, and stated that, it having come to his knowledge that the man who was seen by Mrs. Mortimer, of 36, Berner-street, passing her house with a black, shiny bag, and walking very fast down the street from the Commercial-road at about the time of the murder, was a member of the club, he persuaded him last night, between ten and eleven o'clock, to accompany him to the Leman-street station, where he made a statement as to his whereabouts on Saturday evening, which was entirely satisfactory. The young man's name is Leon Goldstein, and he is a traveller.


SIR, - I wish to offer a suggestion respecting the recent murders at the East-end of London. Our detectives are principally taken from the police force and adopt the military walk. No matter what clothing they are dressed in, I myself can guess pretty closely as to who is a detective; and the thief, the villain, and the murderer may possibly be sharper in detecting a detective than I am myself. My suggestion is that as those murders occur among women who reside or frequent cheap lodging-houses, all deputies of common lodging-houses should be made detectives; and if they were well paid I think the police might learn something from them which would facilitate the discovery of criminals.

I am, Sir, yours, &c.,


The Country Brewer's Gazette has issued a special supplement containing the following article:-

"We are thoroughly convinced that we can be of great service by calling most serious attention to the attempt by the borough factors to put such a value on choice and good English hops that, if accepted by merchants, will again bring about disastrous consequences to those who have not been fortunate enough to part with their purchases to brewers; and those brewers who are so weak as to be guided by the fallacious arguments of interested holders will again soon see their error, and it will be repetition in a less degree of 1882 and other bad years. We will put this painful question to merchants - How often have you given 11L per. cwt. for choice East Kent Goldings in October, and in the following spring put thousands of pockets on the factors' boards at 7L per. cwt.? Such will be the case again this year as in 1871, 1874, and 1883, if they lend themselves to prices that are now looked upon by brewers as perfectly obsolete, and are not this year justified by the facts of the case. Before merchants decide on fixing the value of each kind of hop, they should take into their calculations the probable quantity of imports, not forgetting that our prices will bring in at an early date an unusually large quantity from the Continent, America, and California. It is obvious, from the foregoing remarks, that we want to put the responsibility on the merchants. We have worked out below an estimate for this season, admitting the annual consumption to be equal to 300,000 old duty, and that brewers hold nine months' consumption from September 1st, although it is well known that many brewers hold twelve months' and some eighteen months' stock of hops, but taken all round there is at least nine months' stock in the hands of brewers.

Nine months' stock held by brewers at 300,000.

  (yearly consumption),equals...............225,000
Borough stock not sold to brewers...........  25,000
1888 growth................................. 110,000
  "  imports, say the same as last year.....  60,000
                               Old duty....  420,000
Yearly consumption not more than...........  300,000
1889 (September 1st) surplus............... 120,000

"we now offer a more reliable and pretty safe calculations. A one-fourteenth part of yearly consumption of malt goes for pale, bitter, and export ales ; one-fourteenth of annual consumption, 300,000 old duty is 21,428 - say 22,000 old duty. All pale and bitter ales for consumption from September 1st to the end of May can be brewed with yearlings, by dry hopping with new hops. The ales required for consumption from June to the end of October will be brewed with new hops. This leads us to think that brewers could easily do with 12,000 to 15,000 old duty of good hops, but the available quantity of good hops suitable for pale, bitter, and export ales will probably be as follows, calculated as old duty:-

    English growth ......................30,000
    Continental growth .................. 20,000
    American and Californian (selected)   20,000
         Total ..........................70,000

"In the first two items we have, we think, gone below the mark, rather than above it. These figures, combined with those we give above, ought to free brewers from all anxiety, as we have, we think, conclusively shown that they occupy a strong and independent position, the market being entirely in their hands. Our readers will remember that we had occasion to expose and break up a combination in the hop trade in 1883, and we trust our present warning to the trade will have the same success. We now leave this most important matter in the hands of merchants and brewers. We must tell the merchants, for their guidance, that great economy must be exercised by the Burton and other large brewers who allow discounts to free houses."


Mary McCarthy, a powerful young woman, well known at this court, was charged, before Mr. Montagu Williams, with stabbing Anne Neason in the face. The prosecutrix said she was deputy at a lodging-house in Spitalfields, and the prisoner was a lodger. - The magistrate: Is it one of the common lodging-houses one hears of? - Witness: Yes, sir. - Mr. Williams: Then tell me this. How many beds do you make up there? - Witness: Twenty-eight singles and twenty-four doubles. - Mr. Williams: By "doubles" you mean for a man and a woman? - Witness: Yes, sir. - Mr. Williams: And the woman can take any man she likes; you don't know if the couple are married or not? - Witness: No, sir, we don't ask them. - Mr. Williams: Precisely what I thought. And the sooner these lodging-houses are put down the better. They are the haunt of the burglar, the home of the pickpocket, and the hotbed of vice. I don't think I can put it stronger than that. It is time the owners of these places, who reap large profits from them, were looked after. - The witness then continued her evidence, and said that because the prisoner had become quarrelsome the "missus" told her (witness) to refuse the prisoner money for the future, and the prisoner out of spite stabbed the witness in the face and neck with a piece of skewer. - Mr. Williams: Who is the "missus" you mention? - Witness: Mrs. Wilmot. - Mr. Williams: Oh, a woman. She is the owner then. But she does not live there? - Witness: No, sir. In Brick-lane. - Mr. Williams: What is she? - Witness: A baker. - Mr. Williams: Has she any more of these common lodging-houses? - Witness: Yes, sir; two in Wentworth-street, close by where I am, in George-yard. - Mr. Williams: And how many beds does she provide there? - The Prisoner: Sixty or 70, sir. - Mr. Williams: What is the price of a bed? - Witness: Fourpence and eightpence. - Mr. Williams: Eightpence for a double. Was she a double or single? - Witness: Double. - Mr. Williams: Is she married? - Witness: No, I don't think so. - Mr. Williams: Then the place is a disorderly house? - The inspector on duty in the court said that the beds were let for the night. - Mr. Williams: That makes no difference. The witness says that any woman can take any man in there, and so long as eightpence is paid no question is asked. What is that but a house carried on for immoral accommodation? - Mr. Enoch Walker, vestry clerk of Shoreditch, Said that he had had a good deal of experience with such places, but they could only be touched by one section of the Criminal Law Amendment Act. - Mr. Williams: Then I hope they will not be exempt from future legislation. They are places where, according to the witness, the thief or the criminal can hide all day for the payment of 4d. or 8d. for a bed each night. As a magistrate I have made it my business to go over some of these places, and I say that the sooner they are put down the better. In my humble judgment they are about as unwholesome and unhealthy and as dangerous to the community as can well be. There are places among them where the police dare not enter, and where the criminal hides all day long. I have seen so much that I hope what I have said will do something to call attention to them. - A police-constable corroborated the evidence of the lodging-house deputy, and the prisoner was sentenced to a month's hard labour. - She left the dock threatening the prosecutrix.

Thomas Mills, 40, a cabinetmaker, of 25, Weybridge-terrace, Hackney-road, was charged with being disorderly in the High-street, Stratford, on the 2nd inst. - Constable Webster, 106 K, stated the facts of the case. - The prisoner said he lost his way, and a number of boys followed him, calling out "Old Leather Apron." He went after some of them, and he supposed he then got a bit wild. - The prisoner was fined 5s., with the alternative of four days' imprisonment.

Related pages:
  Arthur Williams
       Press Reports: Daily News - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 2 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Mountain Democrat - 26 March 1892 
       Witnesses: Arthur Williams 
  August Nochild
       Ripper Media: Jack the Ripper: A Suspect Guide - August Nochild 
  Charles Ludwig
       Message Boards: Charles Ludwig 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 19 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 19 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Decatur Daily Republican - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Advertiser - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 17 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 18 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 18 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 25 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 19 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 19 Sep... 
       Press Reports: Guardian - 19 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 19 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 19 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Penny Illustrated Paper - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 23 September 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 30 September 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 7 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 17 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 18 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 2 October 1888 
       Press Reports: The Two Republics - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 19 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 3 October 1888 
       Ripper Media: Jack the Ripper: A Suspect Guide - Charles Ludwig 
  Elizabeth Stride
       Home: Timeline - Elizabeth Stride 
       Dissertations: Anything But Your Prayers: Victims and Witnesses on the N... 
       Dissertations: Blackwells Testimony – An Estimation of How Stride Was ... 
       Dissertations: Double Trouble: Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes 
       Dissertations: Elisabeth Gustafsdotters Last Stride 
       Dissertations: Elizabeth Stride: Her Killer and Time of Death 
       Dissertations: Piecing it Together - A Possible Scenario of the Death of... 
       Dissertations: Reinvestigating Murder: How Did Long Liz Die? 
       Dissertations: Reinvestigating Murder: The Mystery of the Knife 
       Dissertations: So Long, Liz: Was Elizabeth Stride a True Ripper Victim? 
       Dissertations: The Identification of Liz Stride 
       Message Boards: Elizabeth Stride 
       Official Documents: Berner Street - Census Listings 
       Official Documents: Elizabeth Stride's Inquest 
       Press Reports: Alderley and Wilmslow Advertiser - 26 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Atchison Daily Globe - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: British Daily Whig - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 2 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 24 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 2 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 24 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Advertiser - 13 October 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Advertiser - 27 October 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Advertiser - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Observer - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Eastern Post - 27 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Frederick News - 2 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 1 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 2 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 3 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 4 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 5 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 6 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Illustrated Police News - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 2 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Lloyds Weekly News - 30 September 1888 
       Press Reports: London Evening News - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Macclesfield Courier and Herald - 27 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Macclesfield Courier and Herald - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Manchester Guardian - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Manitoba Daily Free Press - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Montreal Daily Star - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Montreal Daily Star - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 10 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 2 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 24 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Munster News - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: New York Times - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: New York Tribune - 03 October 1888 
       Press Reports: North Eastern Daily Gazette - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: North Eastern Daily Gazette - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 01 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 03 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Penny Illustrated Paper - 27 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Penny Illustrated Paper - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 14 October 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 28 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Police Gazette - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 2 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 24 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Weekly Herald - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Woodford Times - 5 October 1888 
       Ripper Media: Jack the Rippers Tredje Offer 
       Victims: Elizabeth Stride 
       Victorian London: Berner Street 
       Witnesses: Dr. Frederick William Blackwell 
       Witnesses: J. Best and John Gardner 
       Witnesses: James Brown 
       Witnesses: Thomas Bates 
  George Lusk
       Press Reports: Brandon Mail - 8 November 1888 
       Press Reports: British Daily Whig - 22 October 1888 
       Press Reports: City Press - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: City Press - 24 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 15 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Observer - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Eastern Post - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 17 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 15 Oct... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 8 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Manchester Guardian - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Manitoba Daily Free Press - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 13 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 15 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: News of the World - 7 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 15 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 29 April 1891 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Walthamstow and Leyton Guardian - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: West Ham Guardian - 20 October 1888 
       Witnesses: Emily Marsh 
       Press Reports: Echo - 31 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 4 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 5 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 6 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 17 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 3 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 3 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 7 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 7 September 1888 
  Thomas Mills
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 21 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 20 September 1888 
  Whitehall Mystery
       Dissertations: The Thames Torso Murders of 1887-89 
       Message Boards: The Whitehall Mystery 
       Official Documents: Whitehall Mystery Inquest 
       Press Reports: Alderley and Wilmslow Advertiser - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: British Daily Whig - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: British Daily Whig - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 16 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 10 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 15 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 16 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 22 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 30 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 10 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 11 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 17 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 30 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 9 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Illustrated Police News - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 17 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 22 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 31 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Munster News - 17 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Newark Daily Advocate - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 05 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 06 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 08 October 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 4 November 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 10 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 30 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 18 October 1888 
       Victims: The Whitehall Mystery