Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Pub Talk: Election - by caz 4 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: President Joe Biden Drops Out of 2024 Presidential Race - by c.d. 13 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by caz 13 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by caz 24 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by Geddy2112 28 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by Wickerman 30 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by caz 32 minutes ago.
Pub Talk: Election - by Wickerman 36 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Evidence of innocence - (31 posts)
Pub Talk: Election - (24 posts)
Pub Talk: Trump Shooting - (11 posts)
Other Mysteries: The One Similarity of the Bible John Murders - (8 posts)
General Discussion: They All Love Jack- what did you think of this book? - (7 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Policeman - Bucks Row - (7 posts)

Daily News
United Kingdom
9 October 1888


The Central News states that the Metropolitan Police last night made an arrest which was thought to be of importance. The arrest was made through the instrumentality of the manager of a clothes repairing company in Gray’s Inn-road. Last Wednesday afternoon a man called at the shop between twelve and two o’clock in the afternoon with two garments – an overcoat and a pair of trousers to be cleaned. They were both blood-stained. The coat was especially smeared near one of the pockets, and there were large spots of blood on various parts of the trousers. The manager was away at the time, and his wife took charge of the garments. The man said he would call for them on Friday or Saturday. The wife naturally called her husband’s attention to the blood stains on his return, and he communicated with the metropolitan police, who, having examined the clothes, took them to Scotland-yard. Since then, two detectives have been secreted on the premises awaiting the stranger’s return. Friday and Saturday passed by without his calling, but last evening he stepped into the shop a few minutes before closing time. Detective-sergeant George Godley and a companion seized him without much ceremony, and he was taken straight to Leman-street Police-station. Meanwhile the prisoner accounted for the presence of the blood marks by the assertion that he had cut his hand. It is stated, however, that his explanation was not altogether consistent, as in an unguarded moment he spoke of having cut himself last Saturday, and then suddenly recollecting himself stated that he had also cut his hand previously. The prisoner further stated that he had had the garments by him in his lodgings for two or three weeks, but he refused to give his address. A later communication from the Central News says :- The man was liberated after the police had satisfied themselves of his innocence. The apparent inconsistency of his explanation was doubtless due to his embarrassment.

A man was yesterday taken to the Bethnal-green Police-station on a charge of stealing an oil barrel in Baker’s-row. Some disturbance was caused by his resistance to the police, but with assistance the officer secured him. This incident proved sufficient to originate a rumour that the murderer had been secured after a desperate struggle.

Hundreds of persons assembled outside the City mortuary in Golden-lane at one o’clock yesterday to witness the removal of the body of Catherine Eddowes to Ilford for interment. The departure of the funeral cortege was fixed for half-past one- o’clock, and at that hour the road was practically blocked. The coffin was of polished elm, with oak mouldings and black furniture. It was conveyed in an open glass car, drawn by a pair of horses, and was followed by a mourning coach, in which were John Kelly, four of the dead woman’s sisters – Mrs. Eliza Gold, Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher, Mrs. Harriet Jones, and Mrs. Emma Jones – with Mrs. Mary Eddowes and her two daughters, The procession started punctually, but along Old-street and Great Eastern-street it was only able to progress at a very slow rate in consequence of the crowd, although the City police in the first instance, and subsequently the metropolitan constables preserved order admirably. All along Old-street the crowd was specially dense, and at the top of Commercial-street and the end of Whitechapel-road knots of people had congregated; but after leaving Great Rastern-street the hearse and coach quickened their pace, and the spectators were soon left behind. At Ilford Cemetery nearly 500 people had assembled to witness the interment. The service both in the chapel and at the grave was conducted by the Rev. T. Dunscombe, the cemetery chaplain, who made no special reference to the murder. Elizabeth Stride was buried on Saturday in the quietest possible manner, and at the expense of the parish.

Sir Charles Warren, the Chief Commissioner of Police, has, it is officially stated, made arrangements for the employment of bloodhounds to track the murderer in the event of any further crimes being perpetrated under circumstances similar to those which have recently occurred in Whitechapel. An instruction has been issued to the police that they are not to remove the body of the victim, but to send notice immediately to a veterinary surgeon in the South-West district, who holds several trained bloodhounds in readiness to be taken to the spot where the body may be found, and to be at once put on the scent. No details as to the plan which will be followed are given. The plan of operations will to a great extent depend upon the circumstances of any particular case in which the aid of the bloodhounds may be called into requisition. A startling fact has just come to light in reference to the recent Whitechapel murders, which goes somewhat towards clearing up the mystery with which the crimes have been surrounded. After killing Katherine Eddowes in Mitre-square the murderer, it is now known, walked to Goulstone-street, where he threw away the piece of the deceased woman’s apron, upon which he had wiped his bloody hands and knife. Within a few feet of this spot he had written upon the wall, “The Jews shall not be blamed for nothing.” One of the police officers gave orders for this writing to be immediately sponged out, probably with a view of stifling the morbid curiosity which it would certainly have aroused. But in so doing a very important link was destroyed, for had the writing been photographed a certain clue would have been in the hands of the authorities. The witnesses who saw the writing, however, state that it was similar in character to the letters signed “Jack the Ripper;” and though it would have been far better to have clearly demonstrated this by photography, there is now every reason to believe that the writer of the letters (fac-similes of which are now to be seen outside every police-station) is the actual murderer. The police consequently are very anxious that any citizen who can identify the handwriting should without delay communicate with the authorities. The Central News, since the original letter and postcard of “Jack the Ripper” were published, has received from 30 to 40 communications daily signed “Jack the Ripper,” evidently the concoctions of silly notoriety hunters. A third communication, however, has been received from the writer of the original “Jack the Ripper” letter and postcard, which, acting upon official advice, it has been deemed prudent to withhold for the present. It may be stated, however, that although the miscreant avows his intention of committing further crimes shortly, it is only against prostitutes that his threats are directed, his desire being to respect and protect honest women.

A correspondent, writing from Birkenhead, says: There is one point about the Whitechapel murders which has not yet been commented upon – viz., that the murderer must have had light of some kind by which to carry out the ghastly mutilations and at the same time avoid stepping in the blood. At the inquest on Annie Chapman the coroner laid stress upon the fact that the missing organ had been removed with considerable skill and without one unnecessary cut, and the surgical evidence in the case of the Mitre-square victim was to the same effect. Would any surgeon living undertake to perform a like operation in darkness, and with desperate haste?

A meeting was held last evening at the three Nuns, Aldgate, to form an East London Trade and Labourers’ Society’s Vigilance Committee for the apprehension of the Whitechapel murderer. Mr. John Chandler presided. It was stated that 57 patrols had already been arranged for and that it was desired to increase the number to 70.

Notwithstanding the apparently conclusive evidence given at the inquest by Michael Kidney as to the identity of the Berner-street victim, many people believe that the poor creature was really Elizabeth Watts, formerly of Bath. It will be remembered that Mrs. Mary Malcolm, of Red Lion-square, swore positively that the deceased was her sister, Elizabeth Watts, and that she had last seen her on the Thursday preceding the murder. – The Central News state that, as the result of inquiries prosecuted by them, they have succeeded in finding Elizabeth Watts alive and well in the person of Mrs. Stokes, the hard-working respectable wife of a brickyard labourer living at Tottenham.

ANOTHER WOMAN’S BODY FOUND IN THE THAMES. – The body of a woman was found floating in the Thames yesterday afternoon near Waterloo-bridge. It was recovered by the Thames police and removed to the Lambeth mortuary, where it awaits identification. The age of the deceased was apparently about 29. There was nothing found upon the body to lead to identification.



Sir, - Will you kindly allow me in your columns to reply to many correspondents who have desired to be informed of the best way to befriend the poor women in Whitechapel, Spitalfields, and the neighbourhood whose miserable condition has been brought before the public so prominently by the late murders? I was for ten years rector of Spitalfields, and I know full well the circumstances of these poor creatures, and have been constantly among them by day and by night. A night refuge has been proposed, and it was but natural it should suggest itself as a means of benefiting the class. In my judgment it would serve no good end and I earnestly hope nothing of the kind will be attempted. I am sure it would but aggravate the evil. It is not the fact that many of these women are to be found in the streets at night because doors are closed against them. Another night refuge is not required. It would attract more of these miserable women into the neighbourhood and increase the difficulties of the situation. But what is needed is a Home where washing and other work could be done, and where poor women who are really anxious to lead a better life could find employment. There are penitentiaries and there are mission houses into which younger women can be received. The public generally are little aware of how much good work has been done of late among these. But for the older women, many of whom have only taken to their miserable mode of earning a living in sheer despair, and who would gladly renounce it, we have not the Home; and it is of the utmost importance one should be provided. It would in its management differ from the ordinary penitentiary. If entrusted with means to provide such a Home, I would gladly undertake the responsibility of conducting it, in conjunction with the clergy and others who are only too anxious to see it established. It has oftentimes saddened my heart to be unable to assist the older women and to save those who were hopelessly falling into a life of sin. Such a Home would be a fitting addition to the “Court House” the Home for younger penitents at Walthamstow, which bears the name of Mrs. Walsham How, and was founded by her in the time of my predecessor, the present Bishop of Wakefield. If anything is to be done it should be done at once. Two thousand pounds would enable the experiments to be tried, and I have no doubt at all of its being a success. Pray allow me space to say to ladies who have been moved to devote themselves for work in these parts that I shall be delighted to hear from such, and to advise them where their services are most required, and how they can best give effect to their charitable intentions. It is my bounden duty to use my position and experience to turn to the best account the painful interest that has been excited by late events in the East End. – I am, your obedient servant,

Bishop Suffragant for East London.
Stainforth House, Upper Clapton, E., Oct.8.


Sir, - Will you allow me to point out to Mrs. Fenwick Miller that the penalties inflicted on men for assaulting women depend upon the social position of the individual man and woman? There are cases in which the magistrate not only protects the woman, but savagely revenges her. A week or two ago a labourer was convicted of having kissed against her will the daughter of a major; for taking this liberty he was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment with hard labour! If the labourer had kissed a labouring woman against her will, would he have been punished in the same way? Or if a gentleman were to kiss a working woman against her will, would the same sentence be passed on him? Or if a gentleman were to kiss a lady against her will in the public street, would he be sent to prison for six months with hard labour? There can be but one answer to these questions. Our laws are by no means the same for the rich and the poor, as any one who reads the daily papers can see. Mrs. F. Miller seems to think that, in the various cases of brutal assault which she cites, the magistrate – being a man – thought to himself “It does not matter much; the victim is only a woman.” But it is more probable that – being a middle-class man – his thought was “It does not matter much; she is only a working woman.” Class legislation and class administration must always mean injustice. – Yours faithfully,

Oct. 8.

In connection with the East-end murders the the police yesterday affected another arrest. Last week a man left an overcoat and a pair of trousers at a shop in Gray’s-inn-road to be cleaned. It was noticed that both garments were blood-stained. The police were communicated with, officers were secreted on the premises, and on the man calling last night he was taken into custody. At a later hour, however, he was released, the police having satisfied themselves of his innocence. The remains of one of the murdered women, Catherine Eddowes, were interred at Ilford yesterday.

Mr. Troutbeck opened an inquest at Westminster yesterday touching the death of an unidentified woman, a portion of whose body was recently found in the police offices now being erected on the Embankment. Evidence having been given as to the discovery of the remains, Dr. Bond, who had made an examination, expressed the opinion that the body was that of a well-nourished, tall woman, over 24 years of age, and that death took place six weeks or two months ago. The cuts on the body appeared to have been made after death. The inquiry was adjourned for a fortnight.

Shelter for the Homeless.

LAST night a shelter capable of accommodating three hundred homeless waifs was opened at 39, Mile-end-road, Whitechapel. This is an important addition to the vast system of charitable relief for which the East-end of London is becoming quite as remarkable as for its poverty. The philanthropic effort is, indeed, more striking and impressive to the casual observer than the squalor and distress for which this end of the town has hitherto been notorious. The mission halls, the charitable funds, the refuges and soup kitchens, the free breakfasts and cheap dinners, the coal and blanket supplies, and so forth, are quite bewildering in their multiplicity. Those who know something of what is going on in this way, and get their impression of East London from casually passing through its streets, must be inclined sometimes to doubt whether so much benevolence can possibly be needed. Charitable schemes, however, are for the most part bound to push themselves to the front, while the poverty and wretchedness with which they are coping are ordinarily hidden away. Many a decent-looking little street, paved and lighted and swept at the public expense, hides behind its window blinds an incredible amount of destitution and misery; while as everybody knows there is a large floating population that has nothing to do with any streets at all – mere homeless waifs, picking up a morsel of food and getting a night’s shelter where they can. The experience of the last winter or two has shown that in spite of all that has been done there is the greatest need for places into which these poor wretches may creep at night. There does, however, seem some danger of a waste of effort from the too isolated action of those who are engaged in this “refuge” work. In every instance with which we are acquainted the greatest care is taken to guard against the abuse of charity, but it is hardly possible to do so effectually without some sort of concerted action among those engaged in relief. Whether this new refuge has been started on an entirely isolated footing, or what means are taken through the Charity Organisation Society or in other ways to avoid “overlapping” and other disadvantages, we are not told, but we understand that a Committee is being formed, and an eminent Lombard-street banker has consented to become treasurer. Information may be obtained of Mr. S. HAYWARD, C.E., 212, Devonshire-road, Forest-hill, S.E.



Divine service was performed yesterday morning at the Castle in the presence of the Queen, the Royal Family, and the Royal Household.

The Rev. Professor Story, D.D., of the Glasgow University, one of her Majesty’s Chaplains, officiated.

Their Royal Highnesses the Princess of Wales, Prince Albert Victor, and the Princesses Louise, Victoria, and Maud of Wales, attended by Sir Dighton Probyn and Miss Knollys, drove over from Abergeldie, and attended Divine service at the Castle.

In the afternoon the Queen drove out, accompanied by her Royal Highness Princess Beatrice, and attended by Lady Ampthill, and visited Princess Frederica at Abergeldie Mains.

Viscount Cross, Lord Rowton, and the Rev. Dr. Story had the honour of dining with the Queen and the Royal Family.

THAMES. – A SUPPOSED LUNATIC. – George Sullivan, 30, a man of peculiar appearance, was charged with threatening to stab Mrs. Ellen Jansen, staying with her mother at 42, St. George-street, E. – Prosecutrix said between 10 and 11 o’clock on Saturday night prisoner came into the house – a beerhouse – and asked to be served. He behaved in a suspicious manner and witness would not serve him. Prisoner was walking up and down the bar, and witness told him not to annoy the customers. He had a long knife in his hand, and with it made an upward motion, saying, “Look here. I’ll do this to you.” Prisoner went out, and she followed him : but lost him. She, however, found him again in a public-house, when he said, “You can’t lock me up, I’ve only just come out of Colney Hatch. I was there two years.” Witness gave him into custody. The accused frightened her very much, and she had not got over the fright yet. – Mr. George Stacey, relieving officer, who happened to be in court, said he knew prisoner well. He had been in all the county asylums in Middlesex, and all the asylums in and around London. – Mr. Saunders remanded prisoner for the prison doctor to ascertain the state of his mind.




Mr. John Troutbeck yesterday afternoon opened an inquest, in the Westminster Sessions House, on an unidentified woman, a portion of whose body was found on the 2nd inst. in the new police offices in course of erection on the Embankment. Inspector Marshall represented the public authorities.

Frederick Wildbore, of Clapham Junction, a carpenter, deposed – I am employed on the new police offices. On Monday morning last at 6 o’clock I went into a vault to find my tools, my mate having taken them down there on the previous Saturday. I noticed what I took to be an old coat lying on the ground in a recess. The vault was, as usual, very dark. I did not find my tools as my mate had removed them earlier in the morning. At half-past five on Monday evening I went to the vault once more. I noticed the object again, and drew my mate’s attention to it. We struck a match and looked at it, without forming any idea what it was. I did not report the matter to any one. On the next day at about one o’clock I saw the object again, and spoke about it to Mr. Brown, the assistant foreman. The parcel was not opened in my presence. I had not been to the vault for eight days when I went there on Saturday. During that period I did not hear any one refer to the presence of the parcel. I heard of the discovery about an hour after I spoke to the deputy foreman. I never noticed any smell in the vault. I only place my tools there from Saturdays to Mondays. (A tracing of the architect’s plan of the basement of the building, having been handed to witness, he indicated the situation of the vault.) Any one unacquainted with the building would, I think, have had a difficulty in finding his way to the vault. Questioned by a juror the witness said : On each occasion on which I went to the vault I struck a match.

George Budgen, of 21, Salisbury-buildings, Walworth, a bricklayer’s labourer, said : I was in the vault on Tuesday afternoon, having been sent down by the foreman to inspect the parcel. I found it partially wrapped up in an old cloth. It had three or four strings round it, and I took hold of these strings and dragged it into a lighter vault. I then cut the strings (produced) and removed the wrappers, exposing to view part of a human body. Mr. Cheney, foreman of the bricklayers, was with me at the time. Presently the police arrived and took charge of the remains.

Thomas Hawkins, detective, attached to the A division, deposed : About 20 minutes past three on the 2nd inst. Mr. Brown came to the police-station, and in consequence of a statement he made I was sent to the new police buildings, where, lying in one of the vaults, I found a portion of a human body. It had apparently been wrapped in a piece of dress material (produced), which was lying beside it. I went to a vault in which I was told that the remains had been discovered. Later on I communicated with Detective Inspector Marshall, who came and took charge of the remains. I should think it impossible for any one unacquainted with the building to have found his way to the vault without artificial light. There is a trench in the vault.

Frederick Moore, 86, Great Peter-street, a porter, said : At about a quarter to one on the 11th September I was standing outside the place where I work, 113, Grosvenor-road, when my attention was called to an object lying in the mud of the river, underneath a sluice. With the aid of a ladder I approached the object, and found it was a human arm, which was quite bare. A string was tied tightly round the upper part. I fished the arm up, and put it on some timber, and afterwards examined the mud to ascertain whether there were any more remains about. I did not find any. The tide was going out just at the time of the discovery.

Police-constable Jones, 127B, said – On the 11th September my attention was called by the last witness to an arm that had been found in the mud of the river. For a week subsequently I was engaged in examining the mud of the river in this locality, but did not find any more remains.

Charles William Brown, of 5(6?), Hampton-terrace, Hornsey, an assistant foreman employed on the new police offices, deposed – The works are shut off from the surrounding streets by a hoarding about seven feet high. There are three entrances, two in Cannon-row and one on the Embankment. There are gates at these entrances, and the gates are as high as the hoarding. The vaults have been completed about three months. Nobody is admitted to the works except the workmen and people having business with the clerk of the works. Nobody is kept at the gates, but there is a notice prohibiting strangers from entering. On Saturdays all the gates are locked except a small one in Cannon-row. No watchman remains at the gate, and no watchman remains on the building during the night. The little gate is latched, and there is a trick in opening the latch. From the time the workmen leave on Saturdays until they come again on Mondays the works are deserted. There is not a watchman stationed outside. The vaults are difficult of approach. Carpenters were at work down there in the week preceding the discovery. In order to get to the vault a previous knowledge of the building is required. I first saw the parcel on Tuesday afternoon. I had been in the vault several times on Monday and Tuesday, but I did not notice the parcel, as I had no light with me. I noticed no smell. A man drew my attention to the parcel, and I did not take much notice of it at first. Later I told Mr. Cheney and a labourer that there was a curious parcel in the basement.

By a Juryman – Tools have been stolen during the progress of the works, but this did not suggest the necessity of placing a lock on the little gate in Cannon-row.

Thomas Cheney, foreman of the bricklayers, said : On Tuesday Mr. Brown told me there was a curious parcel in the basement, and I proceeded to inspect it. I had not previously been in the vault for three months. I have nothing to do with the drainage.

Ernest Hedge, a general labourer, said – I was in the vault on Saturday evening at 20 minutes to five. I went there to get a hammer. I passed the spot which has since been pointed out to me as that on which the parcel was found, and there was certainly nothing there then. I might have been in the vault on the Monday, but not on the spot in question. On Tuesday I went into the vault after the body had been found. When I left the vault on Saturday there was a plank over the trench. Men often went into the vault for various reasons. At twenty minutes to five I believe I was alone on the works. I was locking up, I left everything secure. All the workmen know how to open the little gate in Cannon-row. All that is necessary is to pull a piece of string.

Police-constable Ralph, 634A, said – I placed the remains in a shell and saw them conveyed to the mortuary. I also directed the arm to be brought to the mortuary.

Mr. Thomas Bond, of 7, The Sanctuary, Westminster Abbey, deposed – On October 2nd, shortly before four, I was called to the new police buildings, and there shown the decomposed trunk of a woman. It was then lying in the basement and partially unwrapped. I visited the vault where it was found, and saw that the wall against which it had lain was stained black. I should imagine the parcel must have been in the vault more than three days. At the mortuary I superintended the placing of the remains in spirits. On the following morning I made an examination, assisted by Dr. Hibberd. The sixth cervical vertebra had been sawn through in removing the head from the trunk. The lower limbs and pelvis had been removed, and the four lumbar vertebrae had been sawn through by a series of long, sweeping cuts. The length of the trunk was 17 inches, and the circumference of the chest 35 ½ inches. The circumference of the waist was 28 ½ inches. The trunk was very much decomposed. I examined the skin thoroughly, but did not detect any marks of wounds. In the neighbourhood of the cut surfaces decomposition was especially advanced. The skin was light. Both arms had been removed at the shoulder joints by several incisions. The cuts had apparently been made obliquely from above downwards, and then round the arms. Disarticulation had been effected straight through the joints. Over the body were clearly-defined marks, where the strings had been tied. The body appeared to have been wrapped up in a very skilful manner. The neck had been divided by several jagged incisions at the bottom of the larynx, which had been sawn through. On opening the chest we found that the left lung was healthy, but that the right lung was firmly adherent to the chest wall of the diaphragm, showing that at some time the woman had suffered from severe pleurisy. The rib cartilages were not ossified. In connection with the heart there were indications that convinced me that the woman did not die of suffocation or drowning. The liver was normal, and the stomach contained about an ounce of partly digested food. Portions of the body were missing. Appearances of the collar-bones indicated that the woman was of mature development – undoubtedly over 24 or 25 years of age. It appeared that she was full fleshed, well nourished, with a fair skin and dark hair. The appearances went to prove that deceased had never borne, or at any rate had never suckled, a child. The date of death as far as could be judged, was from six weeks to two months before the examination. The body had not been in the water. I examined an arm that was brought to the mortuary, and I found that it accurately fitted the trunk.The hand was long and appeared to be very well shaped. Apparently it was the hand of a person not used to manual labour. All the cuts on the trunk seemed to have been made after death. There was nothing to indicate the cause of death, though as the inside of the heart was pale and free from clots, it probably arose from haemorrhage or fainting. From a series of measurements we took we came to the conclusion that the woman was about 5ft. height.

Dr. C.A. Hibberd, of 18, Great College-street, Middlesex-lane, deposed : I saw and examined the arm on 16th September. It measured 31 inches in length, and the hand measured 7 ½ inches. There were no scars or marks of violence upon it, and it had apparently been separated after death. I thought the arm had been severed by a person who knew what he was about. It does not of course follow that he had any dissecting-room experience, but he evidently knew where the joints could be reached readily. The six or seven cuts round the joint had evidently been done by a very sharp knife. I examined a piece of newspaper (produced) which was handed to me, and I ascertained that it was stained with blood. It was mammal blood, but I cannot say whether it was human blood. There were no marks of rings on the fingers.

Inspector Marshall, of the Criminal Investigation Department, and attached to the A division, deposed : At about five o’clock on the 2nd inst. I went to the new police buildings on the Embankment and saw the woman’s trunk. In the vault where it had been found I discovered the piece of newspaper referred to by the last witness, a piece of string, and two pieces of some dress material. With other officers I made a thorough search in the vaults in the vicinity, but we found nothing more of a suspicious nature. The piece of paper was part of an Echo, dated the 24th August last. Other pieces of paper were handed to me, and these I found to be pieces of the Chronicle. I cannot yet say what date the paper bore, but on examining a file, I have ascertained that it was not a date in the present year. The dress was made of broche satin cloth of Bradford manufacture. I have ascertained that it is an old pattern – probably three years old. It is rather a common material, and probably cost about sixpenny halfpenny a yard when new. There was a flounce to the dress six inches deep. I have examined the hoarding round the new police buildings. A person might easily scale it, but I did not discover any indication that it had been scaled. From appearances, I should have imagined the parcel containing the trunk must have lain many days on the spot where it was found.

Ernest Hedge, recalled, said – I did not remove the tools of the first witness on the Monday morning. One of the carpenter’s labourers did so. I am positive that when I visited the vault on the Saturday the parcel was not there. I stood with a lighted match in my hand on the very spot where it was afterwards found.

Inspector Marshall – I ought to mention that on the preceding Friday two gentlemen were in the vault taking measurements. I thought they would have been here to give evidence, but they have not come.

The Coroner – We must adjourn the inquest in order to obtain the evidence of these gentlemen. Do you think any other important evidence is likely to transpire, inspector?

Inspector Marshall – Our investigations may lead to important evidence, but I cannot say.

The Coroner – I will adjourn the inquest until this day fortnight, at 3 o’clock.

Related pages:
  George Sullivan
       Press Reports: Daily News - 16 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 16 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 8 October 1888 
  Prince Albert Victor
       Dissertations: Tea, Scandal and the Rippers Shadow 
       Message Boards: Clarence: Was He Jack the Ripper? 
       Message Boards: Prince Albert Victor 
       Press Reports: Burlington Daily Times News - 9 December 1970 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 1 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 10 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 12 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 13 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 2 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 22 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 24 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 27 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 28 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 29 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 30 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 6 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 8 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 8 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 8 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Northwestern - 26 May 1890 
       Press Reports: Echo - 21 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 6 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 7 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 7 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 17 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 19 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 21 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 30 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 8 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 8 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 9 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Lima Daily Democratic Times - 29 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Lloyds Weekly News - 9 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Macclesfield Courier and Herald - 27 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 2 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 22 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 6 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 8 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Ogden Standard - 3 January 1890 
       Press Reports: Southern Guardian - 22 December 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 7 August 1888 
       Press Reports: Times - 14 November 1970 
       Press Reports: Times - 4 November 1970 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 15 January 1892 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 25 February 1886 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 8 January 1885 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 9 November 1970 
       Ripper Media: Clarence: Was He Jack the Ripper? 
       Ripper Media: Jack the Ripper: A Suspect Guide - Albert Victor Edward D... 
       Ripper Media: Murder and Madness: The Secret Life of Jack the Ripper 
       Ripper Media: Prince Jack: The True Story of Jack the Ripper 
       Ripper Media: The Last Victim of the Bloody Tower 
       Ripper Media: The Prince, His Tutor and the Ripper 
       Suspects: Prince Albert Victor 
  Whitehall Mystery
       Dissertations: The Thames Torso Murders of 1887-89 
       Message Boards: The Whitehall Mystery 
       Official Documents: Whitehall Mystery Inquest 
       Press Reports: Alderley and Wilmslow Advertiser - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: British Daily Whig - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: British Daily Whig - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 10 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 15 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 16 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 17 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 22 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 30 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 10 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 11 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 17 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 30 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 3 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 4 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 6 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 9 Octo... 
       Press Reports: Illustrated Police News - 20 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Manchester Guardian - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 17 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 31 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Munster News - 17 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Newark Daily Advocate - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: North Eastern Daily Gazette - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 03 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 05 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 06 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 08 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Penny Illustrated Paper - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 14 October 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 28 October 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 4 November 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 7 October 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 6 October 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 8 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 10 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 3 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 30 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 4 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 5 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 9 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 18 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 19 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 23 October 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 9 October 1888 
       Victims: The Whitehall Mystery