Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

UK Conference October 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Annual Conferences on Jack the Ripper » UK Conference October 2005 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 22, 2005Howard Brown50 8-22-05  4:54 pm
Archive through October 01, 2005Judith A. Stock50 10-01-05  11:38 pm
Archive through October 11, 2005Suzi Hanney50 10-11-05  3:57 pm
Archive through October 14, 2005Baron von Zipper50 10-14-05  12:55 pm
Archive through October 21, 2005Alan Hunt50 10-21-05  10:10 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Baron von Zipper
Inspector
Username: Baron

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like Dublin. No smoking is a good thing. Galway would be better. Good music, proximity to the Aran Islands, less dirty, less expensive Guinness, and Aaron Kosminski spent his summers there.

Cheers
Mike

"La madre degli idioti è sempre incinta"

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 7:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

As appropriate as holding the convention in the great metropolis, I believe London is being ruled out, unfortunately, because of the high charges of a hotel that could host a convention. Prices in the "provinces" are much more conducive to provide a suitable venue for such an event.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 7:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
Nats what an interesting if slightly disturbing idea..all those years in the Guides may have scarred me I suppose!

No Smoking?!!!!!!!!!!....another good reason for the anti Dublin thingy

Adam
So glad theres been no decision made as yet keep em going tho chaps..

LOVED the D'Onston article Andy!!! Theres a TV prog in this I feel!(Like Nats am still ploughing through it all)

Suzi
Never trust a man,who if left alone in a room with a tea-cosy would be able to resist the temptation of trying it on!

Steve Swift
Sergeant
Username: Swift

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay I've stopped laughing at Leicester & Gary Lineker long enough to be able to type :P

It really really has to be the East End - surely!
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2515
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,
Just for the record I was never in the Girl Guides -pleeeeese!
Steve,Chris et al
The East End does have some cheap Hotels.All I was meaning is that there are various festivals each Summer in London where various parts of parks and Commons in London are "For Hire".
There is for example a big Jazz Festival in Ealing each Summer which is followed by a Fair and it all takes place in a Central Ealing Park.
There are small Catering companies which set up food stalls,a beer tent selling real ale, a main Marquee, portacabin"s,etc etc

It doesnt cost a huge amount from what I can gather and there are certainly similar venues in the East End.I know they have a big fair in Whitechapel each Summer too,mainly round Christchurch and Spitalfields Market.
Its only an idea about how costs might be reduced.
I just thought that if such open spaces are for hire by the local coucils we might be able to work out a way of reducing overall costs.Those who would much rather stay in a hotel could do so
but there are other options such as camping,Bed and Breakfast,some people in London may be able to put others up etc .
Natalie

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2213
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 6:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nats,

You won't catch me camping... urgh I can hardly bear to type the c word. I was never in the girl guides either and the t word - tent - is even worse! Give me a hotel with luxury en suite any day and I'll pay the going rate.

...maybe those living in London could chip in towards the fares of others...

Does Shirley in Surrey count as London?

If so, I still think Salisbury's a great idea.

Love,

Caz
X

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4174
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 7:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

We all know that London is expensive, but that is not the point. I am sure of, that even in London and maybe East End it would be possible to find a place suitable for venues like this, since it is such a big place, containing a lot of variety. The price factor is a bad argument anyway, since the Brighton area, for example, also is considered extremely pricey, but that still worked out in the end. Same with Bath, where I live; in general the area is just as expensive as London, but on occasion you can find realistic prices anyway, especially if you hire a place for larger venues.

London has several advantages:
- it is THE central city in England, which means that most people who lives far away in the UK or abroad don't have to change transport in London to some destinations (traveling by train or coach you usually have to change in London anyway - I, for example, who travelled from Bath, had to go to London first and change there); the further away from London, the more expensive and complicated it will get for those people, and the less attendance there will be at the convention.
- The enormous possibilities regarding the vast number of Ripper connections (taking Ripper walks, a lot of places to study etc.) makes it an obvious and attractive choice. You can't beat having it all just around the corner to the scene of the crimes.
Those are some points to consider, and which makes it worthwhile to check for places in London within the budget, I believe it would not be impossible. Discarding it altogether just because one 'believes' that it is expensive (without checking it out) is just silly. As I said, Brighton is generally an expensive area as well.

Suzi,
I have no idea why you go on about Cardiff. Cardiff have no known Ripper connections, and I believe that is an important point. I can't see the relevancy. The fact that the area is beautiful and that the location is suitable for some are not reasons enough.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on October 23, 2005)
G. Andersson, writer/historian

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

I am not making an argument against London, if a suitable venue can be found. I am just explaining why, as I see it, London has not been a choice for the conference before now. I think it would be great if a venue, at the right price, could be found in London.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Alan Hunt
Police Constable
Username: Mews

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi all!
it could be held in toynbee hall and we could all stay in tents in itchy park!
could be up to scratch!!!!!!!!!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2528
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 7:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK Alan,I"ll scratch your back if you"ll scratch mine in Itchy park!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3136
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We'll wait eh guys..we'll wait.........time .....sadly in two years..... will tell!

Suzi

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 394
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Do you know I've just realised that one person who doesn't seem to be getting any 'well dones' for this and every other conference is Jeremy Beadle!

So let me start the ball rolling by saying a heartfelt 'Well done' to Jeremy for all the extremely hard work he has put in to all the conferences.

Bob

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I've never been to a conference, but if London is impossible (although ideal), how about Windsor.
It has connections to royal stories on the case, and Annie Chapman lived there for some of her life. And it's only 30 minutes train ride from London, so despite being in Berkshire it could be called a London-ish conference. I would like to bring along at least one of the descendants of the victims, but unless it's either London or near London there's almost no chance of that.
Just a thought.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neal

I like your ideas. Windsor sounds like it could be a good location for the reasons you mention, and it would be fabulous to meet a descendant or descendants of the victims. That would be quite a privilege.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3160
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 4:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob-

Good point!!!Jeremy deserves every accolade!!

Chris-
Windsor eh??????? Not as daft as it sounds is it?.....The Ripper and the Royals!!

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3273
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a subliminal message....................

Suzi

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3200
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 4:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,

saying what?

Jenni

ps five word rule
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my mamma taught me better than that."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.