Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through October 21, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Annual Conferences on Jack the Ripper » UK Conference October 2005 » Archive through October 21, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3050
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There MUST be some other pics to send to Harry!!!!

Well done chaps!!!! God a week ago tonight eh?

:-) :-) :-) Suzi x

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4137
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi!

Time flies, doesn't it? Feels like yesterday.
I can still smell Bob Hinton's cigars.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/historian

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil:

Brother,I was on a respirator after the "Bombshell of The Beach" photo taken by Alan and on hypertension medicine after seeing Bad Captain Clack snugglin' with her.

This up and down action [ and I don't mean a metaphor what for you may think I am doing ]ain't no good for my blood pressure.

....but keep it up with the photos. They're great.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3051
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 6:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn
You mean you've recovered your sense of smell???? Ah well time may improve..yep doesnt seem like a week ago does it??

Suzi

Harry Mann
Inspector
Username: Harry

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 6:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,
Mail me a few,and I will give it a try.Nothing remarkable improving photos,any good graphic programme will do the job.
Regards,
H.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3052
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

er ok will do but WHERE TOO??

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3053
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got some beauties here.....will wait!

:-)

Suzi

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 4:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

Well now that all that has died down, I think it's a suitable time just to thank all those who had a hand in organising this event and making it such an enjoyable interlude for everyone who attended.

We must not forget of course the staff of the Royal Albion who put up with us incredibly well.

Thanks to all.

Bob

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2963
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,
you mean they put up with you? lol

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my momma taught me better than that."

Adrian Morris
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gang,

Dublin it is, I have heard on the 'grape vine'. Gosh, who would have thought it? The hotel has been sought out and there is now talk of putting together the actual weekend.
Hope to see you all in Dublin in 2007.

ADRIAN.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Firstly my heartfelt apologies to Ally......and my heartfelt thanks to everyone who hepled me here,especially to Bob.
A combination of not realising the stiuation and then not recieving email resulted in a situation which was painfulo all round.
Once again I apologise and hope we can out all this behind us.
Thanks again

Suzi

Alan Hunt
Police Constable
Username: Mews

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hallo Suzi
great weekend at Brighton eh? can i see the pics u have ,especially tj mad road keeper one i took with youe camera!
Alan

Alan Hunt
Police Constable

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian
bet you had an input in that topic eh? anything for a decent pint of Guinness and a night in U2's hotel i bet!!!

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone

Just (Monday evening) got back home to Baltimore after a great trip and a wonderful convention. Thanks to Adam, Andy, Claudia, Jeremy Beadle, and everyone else who helped make the weekend so successful. Enjoyed the pics, Philip and Suzi!

By the way, Jeremy suggested Blackpool as the possible venue for the next convention. I do think it has become de rigeur and part of the fun and value of the weekend to have a strong Ripper connection or several connections to the venue, and I really can't see any links with Blackpool, despite me joking that Jeremy's recitation of "Albert and the Lion [at Blackpool Tower]" at this year's JTR convention constituted a "Ripper" connection. :-)

There may be some merit in Alan Sharp's suggestions to hold the 2007 convention either in Dublin, for the MJK, Tumblety, Phoenix Park, and Ripper letters/newspaper connections, or else Edinburgh, for the connections to Monro, and also Burke and Hare, Robert Louis Stevenson etc. Plenty of Victorian and macabre associations in Edinburgh.

My other thought might be to hold the 2007 event back in Bournemouth, because we never did visit Druitt's haunts in the area in 2001 despite a lot attention being given, rightfully, to Abberline's links to the area. If Bournemouth is to be explored as the 2007 venue I might suggest another hotel other than the Suncliff, where I found the meeting rooms stuffy, the geography between the meeting and guest rooms confusing and difficult to negotiate.

All my best

Chris

(Message edited by Chrisg on October 19, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3063
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!!!

Ive never made it to Dublin yet and am sure it's a gorgeous city ,with all sorts of great places to visit etc....would be particularly interested in the Oscariana and all that but ,its the 'mechanics ' of getting there that worries me,and that's just with my ridiculous amount of luggage I seem to 'need',without getting into the obvious problems that people running book stalls etc would encounter!!..Hauling the lot up to Fishguard (or worse) and then ferrying across the Irish Sea etc is a daunting prospect to say the least!!!.

My vote(for what thats worth) goes to Cardiff!..........plenty of 'connections',hotels,carparking etc and YES lets go WEST this time....... Cardiff isn't quite as far West as Dublin tho!!!!

London I know would be perfect but there are a lot of problems involved with that sadly I think, and Edinburgh??????!!!!!!!. Way TOO far UP!!!

Failing that going to get out the map and a pin!!!!

Cheers

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OR perhaps we should put this to some kind of VOTE............

Just a thought......

Cheers

Suzi

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 808
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So no one has seriously researched my suggestion of holding the 2007 Conference in Namibia then?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 567
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"There may be some merit in Alan Sharpe's suggestion though to hold the 2007 convention in Dublin, for the MJK, Tumblety, Phoenix Park, and Ripper letters/newspaper connections. "

Seems to me that the only proper choice of venue would be New York City; we could hang out at Tumblety's old haunts....

Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 5:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

If Adrian heard correctly, it's a done Dublin deal.

I don't care really - I'd go to Namibia for it.

But I've heard nothing but good things about Dublin's fair city where the girls are so pretty. So roll on 2007.

Love,

Caz
XXX

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 6:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,
Must admit that Dublin's fair city would be damned good excuse for a song!!!!!!
THAT should make 'em rethink 'eh??? (lol)

Love
Suzi xx

Scott Nelson
Inspector
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why hold a 2007 convention anywhere when there's going to be nothing new to talk about?

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Scott,

Well it's funny but we've been having conferences for a number of years now and still don't seem to run out of intersting speakers.

However as to the location I must urge against Dublin. The heavy additional cost of travel to Dublin would make it even more difficult for people, especially new delegates, to get there.

We must be looking for a more central location.

Bob

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I've just been working out a few figures. I reckon it will cost me about £230 to travel to Dublin. Add to that the cost of the conference say £220, and my loss of earnings for the weekend away (weekends my busiest time) it comes to about £850!

That is just too much!

Bob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3069
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob!!!
It is!!!!!!

Come on ..........lets go for the Cardiff thing eh!!!!!! Come on chaps Namibia may be cheaper than Dublin at this rate!!!!

Scott- Youve obviosly never been to a Conference!!!

OK serious suggestions now..Cardiff...oh God if push comes to shove Blackpool but NOT across the water its toooo much!!!!

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3070
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NOTHING against Dublin..quite the opposite BUT its just too damned difficult and pricey!!!!! Lets keep it on the mainland eh chaps?
Suzi

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi,
Cardiff is a long way away from Brighton, but wherever the conference is held in the UK, I will definetly attend as i have just recently adopted a cat [ no relation to Diddles] that has altered my opinion on tonque in cheek fun.
Sorry for the offense especially to yourself and George, but I shall be the first to open my wallet at the bar at any future event.
Regards Richard.

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4170
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,

I am sure of that Cardiff is a nice place (as the whole area is supposed to be) with a lot of great sceneries an good pubs, and a lot of culture.
But again - where the heck - apart from the very dubious Mary Kelly thing, which we can't even know is true -
is the Ripper connection?

Mind you, for me it would probably be much easier and cheaper going to Cardiff than anywhere else, considering I am living in the West country, but still...
I still vote for London. I believe it wouldn't be impossible to find a place suitable for our needs and within budget, if one look hard enough. And the Ripper connections are obvious. It would be about time! Besides, it would be the easiest solution for all of those that comes from abroad (as well as for most of us in the UK), since they usually have to get to London first anyway.

As I said, I would attend regardless of where it was held, so I don't see this as a crucial issue, but still...
I ask again, apart from the questionable Mary Kelly link, where is Cardiff's connection to the Ripper case???
Or is this point irrelevant? Just asking.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on October 20, 2005)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard

Am so glad you've been adopted by a member of the Feline Party!!

Always remember Dogs have Owners ...Cats have Staff!!!!!! Welcome to the Staff!!!!!You'll learn to know your place pretty soon!!!!!

Drinkies sound good.....don't forget a saucer...for the milk!!!! (hehe)

Suzi

CARDIFF CARDIFF (thats a subliminal message)

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4172
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 5:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

Congratulations to the cat! I envy you. I once took care of a kitten temporarily and it was quite a lot of hard work - like being a single parent to a baby (still think of him every day, though).
So when I finally will get my own it'll be a grown up one!

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on October 20, 2005)

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could always have the conference in Jersey, not many connections, but it saves me the airfare, and I just happen to have a hotel.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 811
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't get what the Ripper connection is to London.

PHILIP

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip

No Ripper connection to New London, Connecticut, as far as I know, nor to London, Ontario. Although I am sure that Dr. Tumblety lived there as he did everywhere else.

Who's for Birmingham? Leicester? Colchester? The latter suggested by the Parlours -- close to Sir William Withey Gull's grave at Thorpe-Le-Soken. Leicester for the Elephant Man. Birmingham for Ripper letters and Black Country Jack.

I fear that Dublin might result in a reduced attendance. How can you hold a UK conference in the Republic of Ireland anyway????

Chris

(Message edited by chrisg on October 20, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 812
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 8:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris - that last bit is a very good point.

The parallel is holding your US Conference in Ontario.

But Dublin is a lovely place. I too thought of the Gull connection, but is Gull all there is for Essex?

PHILIP

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant
Username: Needler

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a thought....what's wrong with the Salisbury connection with Sgt Thicke?? Ask Frogg about THAT one!

Cheers,

Judy
http://www.casebook.org/2006/schedule.html

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2973
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 4:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've told you once. if you want a central location come to Leicester!!!
Leicester

Everyones favourite place to have a ripper conference BUT particularly a favourite of lazy people who live in Leicester. Plus it has at least two ripper connections.

You know it makes sense.

Wales sounds good

Jenni

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 5:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Judy, what about Salisbury? That's a cracking idea. Good for those in Wales and the West country too, and not bad for us Londoners.

Can anyone find a ripper connection with Tunbridge Wells? Went there for the day last week, for the first time, and it's a fabulous place. Lots of old book shops, antique shops and lovely old buildings etc. And it's easy to get to from London and Gatwick.

Love,

Caz
X

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 7:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In that case, Caz, it has to be Guildford!

Lewis Carroll is buried at the end of my street and there was an article in the paper here a couple of years ago that a suspect (whose name I've forgotten) once lived in Waterden Road.

The fact I live here is an utter, utter coincidence and I reject the suggestion that it would make my life easier.

PHILIP

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 7:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
Salisbury eh???? Now you're talking!!BUT is it really 'big enough??

Tunbridge Wells could be better but again all things are pointing EAST aren't they?

ALL THINGS considered the more I think about it.....It's GOT to be Cardiff!!!....although Jenni,Leicester is sort of middle-ish I suppose.

AP!!!!!!!!!!!! Jersey NO!!!!!........... Take more water with it!!!!

Suzi x

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

Hull.

Enough said.

Monty

PS The Leicester option is very tempting is it not? Jenn would put you up in her front room and Monty has a shed !

Four candles.....you know, handles for forks ! - The Guv'nor

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think it will have to be your shed then Monty.

Jenni

ps Leicester, it has cheese!

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2976
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did i mention pork pies!!!!

Yes yes i know i am veggie but ummm umm. leicester!

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn,

Pork pies,

Now wheres the connection with Jack?

You're getting confused with Sweeney Todd.

Monty
Four candles.....you know, handles for forks ! - The Guv'nor

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 9:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Gary Linekar.

These arent connections with Jack - these are the great things leicester has to offer vistors.

Of course theres the elephant man and everyones favourite victorian spiritualist and errr

that will do

Leicester, for the sake of lazy students from Leicester pick Leicester (go on Claudia you know you want to!)

lol

Jennifer

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2979
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I' sure I can make a connection between pork pies and jack but i'll spare you!

John Savage
Chief Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 517
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty,

You suggested Hull, but why not Withernsea (it has a JTR connection).

The lack of hotels would be a problem, but it has plenty of caravans!

Rgds.
John

Liza
Sergeant
Username: Liza

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well if we can't get anything cheap enough in London, why not go to Windsor? (Chapman connection) and near enough for a day trip to London.
Near Heathrow as well!
Liza

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know Liza,a couple of years back I went to an art exhibition just up the road from Mile End Tube station.It was just a large hall with long modern floor to ceiling windows and in a large green open space with a couple of cafes and some conservation areas.I know the artists hired the hall very cheaply.I wonder whether, if we had the conference in the Summer-August say,we couldnt just rent some grass,hitch some tents and have a kind of "Summer Camp"----with a beer tent for those who like real ale say, and a big Marquee for lectures etc?
It may sound a bit barking and all that but it could make the whole thing cheaper-maybe those living in London could chip in towards the fares of others and we just have one "flat rate" for all of say £175 for 3 nights?Maybe the Whitechapel Society could all get together for a planning meeting and work something out!
D"Onston stayed just a 10 minute walk away in the London Hospital!BTW Andy Aliffe"s article on him was just brilliant!Congrats to Andy![I am slowly wading through all the literature given out.

Roll on our Summer Camp!

Nats
x

AWood
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Not sure which grapevine you've been listening to Adrian, but the truth is Claudia and myself have not even spoken about 2007 yet! We're still sifting through your very informative feedback forms from Brighton (thanks Adrian, I'm sincerely flattered).

Keep the suggestions coming guys.

Adam

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings All,
Glenn and Natalie have both suggested London but someone (was it Suzie?) hinted at certain problems.
I think London would be a logical place. Because,
one whole day could be spent at the British Newspaper Library at Colindale!
Now that's one unusual conference. But imagine the fresh information that would come out of that.
Oh, and make it a three day conference.
Part of another day: all troop down to Whitechapel for one of Phillip's "Ripper Walks".
The last day to discuss everybody's new discoveries.
And chat about things over a refreshing glass of Dandelion Daquarie.

Alan Hunt
Police Constable

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings all
two more destinations for you:-
1. Gothenburg-the connection with Elizabeth Stride

2. Canterbury-not far from where sir Charles Warren is Buried (in Westbere) and Chatham were he was stationed as a royal Engineer

just a suggestion!

Alan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.