Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through October 11, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Annual Conferences on Jack the Ripper » UK Conference October 2005 » Archive through October 11, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eddie Derrico
Sergeant
Username: Eddie

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, Judy. Thanks Again.

Yours Truly,

Eddie

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 779
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 8:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

SOOOOO MUCH TO SAY!!!

Just got in from Brighton.

My God. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful... and to finally meet all my friends and discover they are even nicer than I had hoped!!!

Everyone's no doubt going to go into detail about the weekend for some time, but for those of you decent sorts who couldn't make it, we were thinking of you. Then, after 2 or 3 seconds, we thought of something else!

Anyway, I have got shedloads of photos and I'll post a lot of them up tomorrow once I have had a proper night's sleep.

For now, I shall just say this...

Robert MacLaughlin's book?

Worth the wait!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the update,Phil. It sounded like a great time...

Now that I know that Caz has a truncheon in her possession...I'll have to watch my step.

Caz Morris...looking fine and carrying a big stick.

P.S. Phil.....Please appeal to my baser instincts,sor and be sure to post pix of Caz first in your anticipated collage of Convention photos..I can't handle suspense anymore...I'm too old dude...

(Message edited by howard on October 09, 2005)
How Brown
Prop.
WWW.JTRForums.com

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 3:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm afraid for the ultimate Caz photos you have to ask Suzi Hanney!

One of the memorable occurences was the gorgeous and charming Lindsey Siviter, belting out 'Cabaret'. Absolutely first class!!

Now for our friends in the resistance:

"Ronnie Barker was right"

You will have to watch 'Porridge' to interpret that!

Bob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3018
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 4:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WELL!!...

Started to post here last night but just fell asleep!!!!

Well what can I say!!!???....a fabulous weekend as predicted!

No voice at all here.some may applaud!!! think this may have been the result of the 12th rendition of Goodbyee!!!.....but there again!.

As to pics.......as usual Im having a resizing problem!!! Oooooooh er missus!!!.which MAY be a good thing!!!! (Help chums!!!!???)

Caz-Eye liner TOTALLY beyond me this morning!

Bob-
As ever the Prophet Barker manages to put his finger on it everytime!!..

"I'll give ya a fiver for it....OK?"

Suzi xxxxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3019
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 4:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 4:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 4:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Better stagger into work will fiddle abt resizing some more choice moments this evening!!! Feel some caption ideas coming on though!!!

Love
Suzi

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 5:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mr. Hinton ! Thanks for the tip...

How Brown
Prop.
WWW.JTRForums.com

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant
Username: Needler

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 5:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our thanks to Andy, Claudia and Adam for yet another job well done. Lovely time, great speakers,terrific venue, good food, brilliant company..lessee....I'm running out of superlatives, but you MUST have gotten the drift by now. And a grand time was had by all.

CHEERS to all!

Judy

Ally
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Ally

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey folks. Triple kudos to Andy, Claudia and Adam for a fantastic job. Kudos to all the presenters I saw who did a fantastic job.

Kudos to the bar staff for putting up with everyone Saturday night. Kudos to Bob and Suzi--who entertained us all with songs of yesteryear and who really need to be imported for the american conventions. Kudos to Lindsay channelling Liza(Minelli); and Liza channeling Lothario. Kudos to the rest of us for the copious amounts of alcohol consumed and for still waking up Sunday morning.

I enjoyed meeting all the faces behind the screen names.

Ciao..

...wait a minute. Caz won my truncheon? Dammit!

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 7:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gang,

The conference was amazing.........didn't sleep or eat for the whole 3 days, but what the heck!

The hotel was superb....despite the reviews there wasn't a rat in sight.... food was good, rooms lovely.......shame about the miserable lot staying there with me, something to do with some ripper bloke. Wierd lot, kept singing dirty songs and playing the spoons....although we did get a fantastic rendering of Danny Boy from some hairy bloke, (sorry Alan) and a really sensational Lindsey, making us shiver with her incredible voice.

The talks were really great......all of them and I have to say Robert Maclaughlin is just the nicest bloke you could wish to meet.......(I did notice you came back for quite a few goodbye cuddles Rob......I just pretended not to notice!)and the book is definitely worth putting on your Christmas prezzie list....great stuff.

It was lovely to meet all of you........and have to say it was about the best weekend I can remember.

Love to everyone........Suzi if you put any pictures up of me.......I'll send Diddles after you!

Janie

xxxxx

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 781
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the photos then!

I have to stress that I was working Friday night so missed the opening and Frogg's film so I will have to leave that to someone else.

Firstly, here's the hotel - right at the foot of Brighton Pier.

hotel

Now then... Saturday morning. Mr Beadle opens the day's events.

beadle

The laptop goes and blows up and the LEGENDARY Robert McLaughin is left without pictures but within a couple of minutes it doesn't matter - in spite of his subject being just that!

robert

Next we heard that Chris Scott wasn't with us due to illness (get well Chris!) which annoyed me intensely as I wanted to get his book on MJK and have him sign it but Jennifer Pegg had some very interesting news regarding one of the latest crackpot theories which confirms what a lot of us had suspected anyway (I won't say it here, Jenni, just in case you want it staying hush-hush for now).

jenni

After lunch (the caterers clearly hated vegetarians - of which there were actually a few of us!) Don Rumbelow gave a very vivid and engaging account of the Houndsditch Murders and Seige Of Sidney Street.

don

Then in the presence of the Mayor and Mayoress and Chris Copley from Wynne Baxter Ltd, Andy Aliffe, myself and Richard Clarke as a brilliant Wynne Baxter gave a presentation on his life (Baxter, that is, not Richard...)

hutch&andy

baxter

After this we went outside the hotel for the naming of a brand new Brighton bus... ladies and gentlemen, I give you... the Wynne Baxter!

bus

And here's one Don Rumbelow didn't want anyone to see. This was one of the most surreal moments of my life. I had just been one of the speakers in a lecture and seen a bus unveiled and now I was sitting on said bus being given a guided tour at the kindness of the driver of Brighton by the Mayor. Beadle was upstairs and I was flanked by Don and Molly Rumbelow. The Mayor's commentary was largely about Brighton's gay bars and sex shops.

onbus

After a break there was a drinks reception followed by the big banquet.

Finally I got to get a photo of 3 of my best friends on Casebook. I give you Jane Coram (camera shy), Glenn Andersson (posing yet not looking at the camera for said pose - how Swedish is that?!) and Suzi Hanney (who else could it be?!) along with a certain serial killer on a metal rod in the middle of the table.

jc-ga-sh-dids

And here's the banquet in full swing...

banquet

I could have just eaten the potatoes alone and lived on them. Best I ever had in my life.

Next, Loretta Lay gave an special award to a certain Stephen Ryder. I wonder what that could be for?

spry

And then it all went horribly wrong. Some scumbag gave a talk on The Ghosts Of Jack The Ripper. Dunno who he is.

me

I've seldom sweated so much in my life.

Saturday night after this is best not recorded. A great deal of loud singing was heard coming from the banqueting suite. As I said at the time, having heard Bob singing I now know why his book is called FROM HELL. The general intention of the evening was trying to run away from Liza who is insatiable when sober. When drunk no man is safe.

And onto the next morning...

Ivor Edwards began (accompanied by Tee in charge of the transparancies) with a talk on D'Onston and the geometry of the murder sites.

ivor

This was followed by Chris George giving a bit of background on Tumblety and the few new things that have sprung up about him in recent years. What I particularly liked about this was Chris wasn't trying to present him as a suspect - he was just giving information. This is Chris suddenly breaking into a chorus of 'My Way...'

chris

After Chris came the raffle. I don't gamble so I bought tickets and gave them away. Who knows what I may have won? Most of the items I've now got anyway, but I was lusting after an H Division truncheon which was won by our very own Caz. Needless to say, first thing I did when I got in was e-mail Howard Brown with this information!

Here's Adam Wood with Claudia Aliffe and some bloke off the telly doing the honours.

raffle

The final presentation of the Conference was by Richard Patterson, author of the desirable 'Paradox' from 1997 which has now been updated. His talk was extremely thorough and well-researched and was about Francis Thompson. Here's Richard about to launch into the rollercoaster...

richard

I have decided if a film was ever made on Thompson then Lukas Haas would have to play the role. An absolute dead ringer for him in his younger years.

And thus 'twas all over.

Got my picture taken with Beadle so I can show my mum...

me&jeremy

In the foyer the cheeky and very naughty Adam Wood made some alterations to our billing on the welcome board...

crapper

And that night I went to an Early Music Concert in Brighton at St George's Church. The name on the memorial plaque on the wall above my seat was... shall we say... a bit of a coincidence!

anderson

Huge respect and appreciation to Adam, Claudia and Andy. Brilliant. No more need be said.

PHILIP

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,who needs a truncheon when you can top it all with those all glitter cartwheels you can do ? ...anyway I never saw Caz with any truncheon-it was just Caz as always-smiling so sweetly and looking so angelic while being quite,quite wicked and delightfully wacky!
Jane you are so right about Robert McLaughlin!
...and Alan"s "Danny Boy".Heck I can still feel a "shiver" as I can from Lindsey"s wonderful Cabaret-!
I loved Phil"s talk too and Jane"s superb Art work and Rob£s photos that accompanied it.
And all the fabulous fun from Lisa and Suzi and Bob and Andrew --et al!
Thanks Ofcourse to Andy,Claudia and Adam and the others too who made it all possible-
-- and especially to those who made presentations-fascinating stuff-all of it!
It was lovely meeting so many of you for the first time- Jane,Glenn,Chris George and his wife---too many to name here but all such great folk!
and ofcourse to Jenny for that groundbreaking research work!
And there were some we missed.....a lot actually.Never mind possibly next time!
Natalie
Ps----- and Ally and Stephen are just the sweetest,loveliest pair you could ever wish to meet!

Ally
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Ally

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ooh I have to chime in here again. Alan did an amazing Danny Boy, wish we could have coaxed a few more tunes out him. Not to mention a military chorus line performed by an inebriated American gent and a chatroom frequenter who shall not be named to protect the shameless....those boys got no rhythm.

In case anyone was wondering what's the primary difference between the American and British conferences, I can now state with authority--vast, vast amounts of alcohol.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

er.......... ok!!!!!

Money must change hands to prevent the rest being posted here!!!!! God its taking me ages to resize here!!¬!!!! Probably a good thing!!!!

Love Suzi xxxx

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi - are you saying every person in these pictures is drunk?

I know the Mayor and Mayoress were streaking along the pier screaming "Come and see our Ripper!" but I don't even drink alcohol.

Which makes my charming picture with Herr Diddles all the more alarming.

PHILIP

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Ally,

Are you saying that they consume more alcohol on the American conferences ? Sounds like a challenge to me!

I totally agree about Alan singing Danny boy - that was a cracker too.

I often wonder if to round off the conference evening after dinner we should have some sort of light hearted entertainment provided by the delegates. Perhaps something along the lines of the Good Old Days.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3023
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A SERIOUS challenge mi old loves!!!!!! Oddly I seem to have recorded that on Video on my phone!!!! What I can do with that I havent a clue!!!! sounds fabulous though!

Good Old Days Bob!!!!?? Hey if we get the free trip to appear at the next US it'll have to be announced.'For you Defecation and Delight...here we have tonight...........etc etc he he! '

Suz x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FORGET Blackpool chaps!!!!!! this could do it!!!!!

Failing that, my I suggest Cardiff......well at least there's a connection!(So to speak!)

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3025
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gone quiet here probably for the best! MUST get some zzzzzs. Now OK keep postin dem pics!!!!!....well MOST of em!

It WAS good wasnt it!!!!!!

Hugs Ally!!!!

Oh, and of course Caz(hows the truncheon?),Liza and Jane (Good Luck!!! send me your email again!)
and Nats :-) you!!! hug!.......
and all the rest who made it a lot of fun!!!!

Philip-Who cares about the vegetarians!!!! I was -after the lamb!!!!! Anyway....sadly we're now back to what passes for normality!!!!!!!

Bummer eh!

Love
Suzi

All together now! Goodbyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee OH and Caz...the song goes

Our house is the first house
And then comes Mr Water'ouses house
After Waterhouse's house is our house,
Then comes Waterhouse's daughters house,
And after Waterhouse's daughters house,
its the picture house,
the public house,
the slaughter house
and in case you want to know....
The last house in the row........
Is everybody's house
'Cos its the workhouse!

LOL All together now!!!

Suzi x

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3026
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OH.......... and any references to Chewbacca!!!!!!!!Don't even go there!!!!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er was going to bed but WHATS that?????

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3028
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi - not ONE of you was singing 'Only A Violet I Plucked From Mother's Grave'.

As to whose head that is in the bottom of the group shot - I don't know, but you should as you were sitting opposite him (presuming it is a him!)

What is making me most afeared is the fact you took a photo of a spoon. But then maybe we should accept that as a typical Suzi moment by now.

I would like to suggest the next Conference at Crossinghams Lodging House, 35 Dorset Street, Spitalfields. I hear they have great accomodation and it has some sort of Ripper link.

PHILIP

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 822
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all - ooh, I'm blushing now.

Had a great time down in Brighton, just back home now after a day following Liza's orders (so what's new). Great meeting so many people I've only known online before. Don't believe Ally's fierce persona, she's a pussycat!

Plenty of photos but I didn't think Howard would be able to wait for this one.

cazphoto
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" - Hunter S. Thompson (1939-2005)
Visit my website - http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 952
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

Hey, nice photos. Thanks for posting them. Those of us who couldn't make it like to see a little of the personalities that were involved in action.

You wrote:
"Jennifer Pegg had some very interesting news regarding one of the latest crackpot theories which confirms what a lot of us had suspected anyway (I won't say it here, Jenni, just in case you want it staying hush-hush for now)."

That's a nice thought, but I can't imagine that all the delegates at the conference will keep it secret, not that we expected them to. Her discoveries are being discussed over in the Uncle Jack - Serious discrepancy found thread.

(And of course thanks to everyone else who has or soon will post photos too.)
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 9:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cost of swimming the Atlantic: one pair of shorts.........$12

Cost of being rerouted by Japanese tuna dudes on correct and true course to Blighty...a brief and provocative pole dance on deck for the lonely Nipponese sailors.

Cost of stitches from Fosters beercan hitting head while floating naked down Thames...$50

Cost of overnight in Colney Hatch [..strait/straight jacket provided ]...$75

Cost of not completing journey and reaching the beach to greet that water goddess in wet jeans.....ARRGGGGGGGGGH !!!! Why did they deport me so quickly !!!!! I told them I wasn't going to stay ! I hate Britain !!!!

Thanks Alan...thanks for thinking of me.

(Message edited by howard on October 10, 2005)
How Brown
Prop.
WWW.JTRForums.com

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 434
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 9:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the photos, Suzi. Shame I couldn't be there in person. Jennifer Pegg is a lot taller and lankier than I expected, but that ain't a bad thang. I'm delighted that she gave a talk and wish I could've been there.

Is that Glenn Anderson chilling with Rumbelow on the bus? That is some SERIOUS bling-bling he's sportin'! Good to see he's keepin' it real and representin' his homies at the conference. It's all about the modiggity, ain't that right, Glenn?

My girlfriend saw Robert McLaughlin's picture and said, 'Oh, they had Stephen King there?!'.

Looks like a great crowd of people having fun. Probably the only group of old bald guys I'd actually enjoying spending a weekend with. I truly mean it when I say I regret that I've never been to England or attended a Ripper con. Not sure I'd fit in well, but the talks would be fun and I could get my copy of 'Ripper Diary' personally autographed!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. No pictures of Ally...again. :-(

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quick question here...

Did anyone get Richard Patterson's email address? If so let me know...

Thanks...
How Brown
Prop.
WWW.JTRForums.com

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 3:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple of points.
1. Suzi did sing Violet from my mothers grave at the after conference get together in the dining room.

2. Isn't Caz photogenic? There are a couple of great piccys of her on here.

3. What a great shot of JPeg. I mean point the camera and shoot and you couldn't get a better pose if you had tried for ages. Professional models take note.

4.And finally

George you have to get with the programme. That is not just a spoon – that is an ancient Mongolian disembowelling spoon. It was discovered in an ancient shop in the Lanes selling various items of torture, racks pincers and skin tight jeans etc, and was going to be used on a certain individual at the conference, just to demonstrate of course how long it might have taken for all the ghastly mutilations on the Ripper victims.

I reckoned I could have this individuals tripes hanging from the nearest chandelier in 20 seconds flat.

Bob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3029
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 3:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for reminding me of that Bob!

Agree with the points on Caz and JPeg too!!!

I CANNOT believe George's ignorance re this dastardly weapon...a great deal of skill is required to effect the mutilations with this particular model,hence the price!

I do hope also, that the reason that the spoons workshop was brought to such a cruel and untimely end by hotel staff, was that they recognised it for what it was....the summoning preliminaries to the actual spoon being USED!(As in the shield and spear rattling seen in Zulu!
(Shame!)

20 seconds????????? don't put yourself down!.......with the amount of support you'd have had more like 10 I'd say!!!!
Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 4:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caught on surveilance camera this very morning!!! a closer inspection bottom right will reveal the gleam of one of these weapons most foul!
Suzi

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4122
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 5:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just woke up after a long day on coach yesterday, and I see that the crazies have already begun. Wonderful!

Thanks for the great photos, Hutch!

I want to take the opportunity to thank Claudia and Adam for their brilliant efforts and for arranging a weekend that I consider to be one of the most enjoyable I have ever experienced so far with a bunch of the greatest people I have eve met.
It was really nice meeting all of you, and the whole convention was covered in a very friendly and warm atmosphere, without any petty differences. I guess, when you're on a discussion board, you become one-dimensional and all the other levels of your persona are not displayed. It has often struck me how different people can be in real life (even in privare emails) from how they appear on the Boards.
Alan is right - forget Queen Mean; Ally is indeed a pussycat and it was absolutely lovely to meet her. The same I would like to say about Caz - whom I haven't met before and whom I sometimes have had harsh debates with on Casebook; she is a wonderful person and I enjoyed meeting her too.
I don't think Saturday night - with Bob Hinton and Suzi breaking out in music hall songs and playing spoons - will be easy to forget, even if I wanted to. I promise I will read up on my Gilbert and Sullivan!

The talks were very interesting and showed great variety in subject matter. I must take the opportunity to express my admiration over McLaughlin (Hi Robert!), who had the guts to deliver his talk anyway, although the Powerpoint presentation blew to kingdom come, leaing him without pictures. It was of course a disappointment, since the subject of his talk was pictures! But kudos to Robert for pulling it off anyway in such a professional manner. Robert is an awesome and very friendly guy and I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we all love him.
I also had a long interesting chat with Wolf Wanderlinden - an excellent researcher, and a great guy indeed.

Not to mention all the others; Alan Sharp, mad Suzi, Philip, Jane, Bob Hinton, Rob Clack, Adam, Jenni (nice to finally see what she looks like), Tyler, Natalie etc. ... it was a pleasure meeting all of you (and all the others that I ran into but whos names I unfortunately have forgotten...).

Now some comments: the Britannia room was not that great for the talks, since it contained no oxygen whatsoever and was too muffled (making it hard for the sound to come through), and it was warm as hell. Even if air conditioning exists (it usually seldom works anyway, in my experience), I would say that cellar departments should be avoided for such venues. But otherwise OK.

As for the next convention, I think Alan Sharp had a very good suggestion, namely Dublin, since it has three more or less loose Ripper connections: Tumblety (who was possibly born there), Mary kelly (possibly Irish, even if it might be fictional), and Robert Anderson. Might be a long trip for those of us living in England, but still...

Then my other question is, why the heck London itself has never been used for this. The relevancy of the location is without question and just think of all the endless possibilities it would create as far as interesting activities are concerned, like taking walks in Whitechapel and the Ripper sites or other Ripper-related places.
I understand that it's a problem to find a hotel in London that doesn't exceed the budget and that the prices may be too high. Unless one could find a hotel in the Whitechapel area suitable for a convention? After all, Brighton is an expensive area too.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.

Again, thanks, Claudia and Adam; the hotel was great and the arrangements as a whole was memorable. You both really deserves credit for all of it. I can't wait til next time, although it might be a problem for you to top this one.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on October 11, 2005)
G. Andersson, writer/historian

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3031
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 6:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

Glad you survived it!!!! JUST about to what passes for normal here today!

It was great wasn't it!! Now......serious planning has to start as to the next one.Dublin??.hmmmm lovely place BUT not really practical for people travelling with a lot of 'stuff'...airports etc are bad enough at the best of times!,and the Irish Sea alternative is too terrible to contemplate.Best to stick to the mainland on this one I reckon.

Cardiff has I know been suggested and is to my (mad!!!??) mind a damned good idea,there's still London too to be considered,however tenuous the Rip links may be!!!

Come on MORE photos please!!!!

Suzi

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 6:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Wow, what an amazing weekend that was! I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life. If anyone thought a Jack the Ripper conference ought to be sober and serious, they were in for a shock from the start.

Suzi, you are barking mad and I love you to bits. Please put up that photo - if you dare.

My love of the sea almost made me miss my prize truncheon (my truncheon, Ally). I got my jeans soaked paddling and had a quick change and dash back just as the raffle was starting. My number was the first called and in two seconds flat Adam put the lovely great truncheon in my hand.

Great to meet Jenni (well done on the Uncle Joke front) and Glenn in the flesh, and to see Ally and Stephen again, and all the conference regulars like Judy Stock and Chris George, and those others we don't get to see at the Whitechapel Society meetings.

I must have put on a stone, the hotel didn't stop shoving cream cakes at us!

Jeremy suggested Blackpool for next time. He has a friend who runs a hotel there and can get a couple of comics to entertain us. Not the worst idea I've heard.

I love Bob Hinton's suggestion too that the delegates put on some form of entertainment. Alan and Lindsey would have to sing a lot more - they were stars.

Many congrats to Claudia, Andy and Adam and everyone who helped make it a truly memorable time. Loved every minute.

Love to all,

Caz
XXX

PS Howie, your package is going in the mail today.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 787
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 9:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom - er, no, that's not Glenn sitting next to Don on the bus. Glenn wasn't even ON the bus!

Reasons for knowing this...

1) I put in the text it was the Mayor
2) It WAS the Mayor
3) Glenn had grown a beard by that evening and become about 15 years younger and doubled the length of his hair if that was Glenn on the bus
4) It wasn't Glenn, it was the Mayor
5) That was the Mayor sitting next to Don, not Glenn

PHILIP

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4124
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,
You forgot one thing:
What if I in fact was Mayor of Brighton!

Seriously - I never wear jewellry.

Suzi,
From what Alan told me, if I remember correctly, Dublin is quite easy to access, especially for those coming from abroad. Besides, the Ripper links are quite many in comparison to places like Blackpool and Cardiff.
However, I myself favour London (and hopefully East End) as a natural choice (if one can find a hotel there with is good enough for the purpose and doesn't blast the budget).

And yes, Suzi -- mad mad, totally mad. But in a good way, and blimey - you and Bob do know how to party!

It was all a wonderful experience, and I wish I could go back in time and do it again. It feels kind of empty now. I already miss all of you.

All the best

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4126
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

It was indeed nice to meet you too. I will try to attend at the WS meetings if I can and if I am not working those particular Saturdays, since several people have been kind enough to offer me to stay overnight if the bus leaves too early back to my area.

Alan, Rob Clack et.al.,
Thanks for the great idea of going to see the famous Seaside Home (which was a much smaller building than I expected). Very interesting. No sign of Kosminski, though, although I think I spotted Anderson smoking his pipe... (or was that Bob Hinton?)

All the best

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

Glad to hear that a good time (aka Suzy) was had by all.

Joke Suzy....joke.

Seriously, due to the fact I wasnt there, I would like to congrat Spry on his award here.

Well done. Considering the achievements made and the advantages this site has given to both researchers and enthusiasts alike, the recognition is throughly deserved.

That said, I feel a special mention and recognition should also go to the other 'workers' and contributors to this site.

Well done to you all.

Monty
:-)
Four candles.....you know, handles for forks ! - The Guv'nor

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4127
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hear hear, Monty.
I agree; a warm congrats to Stephen and those involved from me as well.

A shame you weren't there, though; would have been interesting.

All the best

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5140
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, did you think Glenn would be dressed up in chains, while being given a commentary on Brighton's gay bars and sex shops?

Robert

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

I fear Brightons temptations would have been too much for me.

Monty
:-)
Four candles.....you know, handles for forks ! - The Guv'nor

Liza
Sergeant
Username: Liza

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all you lovely people!
What a weekend!
I'm completly knackered, but it was worth it.
Just got back from work, not sure how I stayed awake!
My highlights were (in no particular order)
Robert's talk
The bus trip
Eating at Moma Cherie's soul food place with Glenn, Rob, Robert etc....
Suzi's singing!!!!
Wining in the Raffle a book that originated from the Auction House I work in (I confirmed that today) that really was a coincidence!
All the excellent talks
The food (too much gateaux!)
My only 'downsides' were the cost of drinks in the Hotel and the 'troop march' to the loo
I fancy LONDON or DUBLIN for the next Conference.
Must go and have some shut-eye now, we're supposed to be going out tonight as it's my birthday (21st!) but I'm not sure if I have the energy to!
To everyone at the conference - you are an amazing lot of lovely people!
Love
Liza
X

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Talking about the next venue, certain points must be borne in mind.

The book stalls are now an integral part of the conferences and they perform a very valuable function, not only as a place to buy books and other items of interest but also to bump into all those people you like to meet.

However you must bear in mind that stall holders have to lug all their stock to the venue which virtually restricts them to travelling by car. Catching a plane to Dublin with 50 pounds of excess baggage really wouldn’t work.

This also dictates that any hotel should be approachable by road and provide good unloading and parking facilities.

Unfortunately with Mayor Ken putting up congestion charges all the time this would tend to rule out a London hotel.

I would suggest Cardiff is an ideal venue.

1. First rate communication from within Britain, M4 West to East ( yes a genuine West to East not an Ivor Edwards West to East) and the M1, M5 etc North to South. You are also within spitting distance of an international airport. Rail and coach links are also well catered for.

2. Plenty of hotels with first rate facilities.

3. Connection with the Ripper via Mary Kelly.

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4128
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob,

Point taken about the book stocks and Dublin - good point, I admit I hadn't thought of that.
I guess Dublin might be a problem, then.

Still, I think London is not out of the question at all. I know that the hotel rates in London are terrible, but that goes for other places as well. As I said, the Brighton area is certainly not cheap but apparently that worked fine anyway. And since I live in another extremely expensive area - Somerset, where the closeness to Bath is putting all rates and prices up to ridiculous levels - I can assure you that this is not a pure London problem. Believe me, I know all about high rates!

London is expensive, but it also has great variety and of all the thousand hotels there, I do not think it would be impossible to find a suitable large hotel that would be able to hold a venue like this for a charge that wouldn't exceed the ones in Brighton. One might have to look for it and work hard to get it, but I am convinced of that it's possible. And London pretty much would completely sort out the problem with the book stocks and the communications.
I think people tend to to discard this option way too easily.

I admit I do not know much about Cardiff, but apart from the possibilities of reasonable prices and good hotels, I do not find it especially relevant, although I've heard that Wales is beautiful country and certainly worth visiting.
Needless to say, I must admit that I would benefit from it myself, since it would probably be faster and easier for me to get to Cardiff than to London, since it's closer to where I live. So on those grounds I certainly wouldn't mind.

My main problem with the location, though, is that the Ripper connections are tenous, to say the least. As for Mary Kelly, we don't even know if she came from Cardiff, and we don't even know if she was Irish! So if that is the only link to the Ripper for choosing Cardiff, I can't say I find it very relevant or appealing in that particular respect.
But that's just me.

Blackpool, however, is in my opinion an uninteresting and not very practical choice (considering it's geographical location) and I can't find it either tempting or interesting for the subject matter.

However, wherever the location, the most important thing with the venue is the people and I believe this issue is a minor thing compared to the great joy of seeing everyone again, and I would attend even if it was located in Kirkwall on the Orkney Islands. Or Sweden - God forbid!

All the best

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2953
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is Wolfs head get with it!
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my momma taught me better than that."

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AND Cardiff dear Chums is REALLY close to Mr 'Uncle Jack' isn't it!???(Handy for a quick nip into Swansea and a 'And Furthermore ....'session!!!! Go Jenni!!!!!

Caz.Love you too(pic? er which one would that be???/)

Mont- Am going to get the disembowelling spoon out purely for you and when its been used PROMISE not to wash it before it's used on the 'intended ' victim!

LONDON is a great one....sorry but think that should be on the cards....sod the banquet we all go as a happy dancing gang to the Sheraz!!!!!!!! W H A T a thought!!!! with Mr Rumbelow directing of course!!!

As to the Music Hall..now seriously (first time for everything even me!) Have done this sort of thing before! have a Mega Plan here but will work on it in well about 15 mins!!! Really think this could be a serious goer,will require a lot of planning ....yep OK I'll do that!..NOW I KNOW in my daft persona this seems improbable but facing the fact that what has happened this year and two years ago seemed to 'work'. COME ON 2 yrs rehearsal could go either way but surely couldnt be any worse!!!!!
Suzi

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2488
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Budget possibilities do exist in london.Student rooms are available at very cheap rates from July to September as well as easy access to nearby University Halls/ meeting/lecture/tutorial rooms/conference halls and rooms /dining rooms and bars as well as ideal places for setting up book stalls.The total would be unlikely to reach the cost any of the hotels in London. Usually there are large car parks attached as well and certainly places for unloading books etc.
I am thinking of the many centrally located ones
towards the East End.To park an entire weekend would cost something like £30-most places dont charge for Sunday parking.
I agree with Glenn here that there are so many
possibilities for all sorts of visits that its definitely worth considering London as a venue.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NATS!!!!!!!!

What a brilliant idea!!!!!!!!! Now the next bit is a sod waiting for another 2 years ...lets go for an 'inter-regnum' eh?????... Come on lets do it and the Music Hall too????????

Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.