return to normal view
Daily News
United Kingdom
20 October 1888


With regard to the half kidney received by the chairman of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee, it is ascertained that the Metropolitan Police have handed it over to the City Police on the assumption that if the whole thing is not, as is suggested by many, the disgusting trick of some practical joker, it relates to the Mitre square crime. Dr. Brown, surgeon of the City Police, has examined the organ. The Central News says that only a cursory examination has yet been made of it. A small portion only of the venal (sic) artery adheres to it, and it will be remembered that in the case of the Mitre square victim a large portion of the venal artery adhered to the body. This leads the police to attach more importance to the matter than they otherwise would have done. The cardboard box which the chairman received is about three and a half inches square, and was wrapped in paper. The cover bears a London postmark, but the stamping is not sufficiently clear to enable it to be stated from what postal district of the metropolis the article was sent. On this point it is expected that the assistance of the Post Office officials will be invoked. The portion of the kidney which it enclosed has, according to the medical experts, been preserved for some time in spirits of wine.

At Belfast yesterday, John Foster was charged on remand with being connected with the Whitechapel murders. Evidence was given that the chain and locket in his possession had been stolen from a house in the vicinity of Bootle. The prisoner, who it is stated is wanted on a charge of housebreaking, was remanded another week for further inquiries.


"Captain" Cotterell, head of the Salvation Army Corps at Tunbridge Wells, who is entitled to the 100 reward offered in connection with the Baltic Saw Mills murder, declines personally to accept the "blood money" and General Booth writes to the same effect. It is proposed to devote the money to some charitable purpose.


Prince Albert Victor of Wales arrived in Manchester from York last night, and will today take the chief part in a series of public ceremonies. He is to open the Rusholme Recreation Grounds, lay the memorial stone of a new wing of the Ancoats Hospital, and visit a Lads' Club. The prince was met at Victoria Station by the Mayor and members of the Reception Committee, and by Sir J. Ferguson, M.P., and others, and was warmly cheered on stepping from his carriage. A guard of honour was furnished by the 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers, and a procession was formed to the Town Hall, the Prince being enthusiastically welcomed by large crowds of people who filled the streets. At night he was entertained to dinner by the Mayor and he remained at the Town Hall as the guest of the Corporation. A torchlight procession of members of the Lads' Club marched round the square in front of the hall during the evening, and sang the National Anthem.