Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Pub Talk: Election - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Rating The Suspects. - by Herlock Sholmes 3 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Geoprofiling - by The Rookie Detective 5 hours ago.
Druitt, Montague John: Druitt and Me - by erobitha 6 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Rating The Suspects. - by GBinOz 8 hours ago.
Druitt, Montague John: Druitt and Me - by GBinOz 11 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Rating The Suspects. - by JeffHamm 12 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Pickford & Co. - by A P Tomlinson 14 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Suspect Discussion: Rating The Suspects. - (25 posts)
Druitt, Montague John: Druitt and Me - (19 posts)
General Letters or Communications: Hanbury Street Graffiti - (10 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Pickford & Co. - (10 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Geoprofiling - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Drink - (2 posts)

The Star
Largest Circulation of Any Evening Paper in the Kingdom.

Front Page


THE Whitechapel mystery is a mystery still. That is the terrible fact which the Government and Sir CHARLES WARREN have to consider this morning. The ghoul is still abroad seeking fresh victims, and perchance finding them before next morning's Star is in the hands of our readers. We on Saturday made a proposal which we are glad to see has already been partially carried into effect. There is, we find, one large Vigilance and Patrol Committee at work in the haunted districts. But one is not enough. If there is any public spirit in the East-end, there will be 20 such bodies formed before as many hours have passed. The Vigilance Association should lend a hand, and the Law and Liberty League, and the popular clubs, should join in. Half a dozen sensible citizens in any street can put the matter through, as it would be put through in New York almost before the ink on this paper is dry. We are hourly receiving fresh evidence of the utter inadequacy and unskilfulness of the police. Out of the 2,600 men who are responsible at night for the safety of the inhabitants of London, not a tenth, not a twentieth, are capable of efficient detective work. To add to the list of clumsy follies which have made Sir CHARLES WARREN'S name stink in the nostrils of the people of London, the CHIEF COMMISSIONER has lately transferred the whole of the East-end detectives to the West and moved the West-end men to the East. That is to say, he has deprived the people of Whitechapel of the one guarantee they had for reposing confidence in their ordinary guardians - viz., that to the **ined skill of the detective was being added the local knowledge indispensable when the investigation of criminal or semi-criminal quarters is in question. Whitechapel, then, is practically defenceless. It must defend itself.

But this is not all. We have another charge of criminal folly to make against the Government and the police. We have had four undetected murders of utterly unparalleled atrocity and horror, and yet no reward has been offered for the discovery of the criminal. Yet there can be little doubt that there are people in the district who either will not or dare not speak. We have to take human nature as it is, and make provision accordingly. The terrifying proportion of undetected crime in London tells its own tale, and suggests its own remedy. We press, therefore, for the immediate proclamation of a reward of 500 for the discovery of the Man Monster or of his accomplices, if accomplices there be. That will not do away with the necessity for local volunteer action, but it will render it infinitely more effective. The hunt for the mad CAIN in our midst must begin in earnest; but the bloodhounds must be fed.

Page 2

At Bristol yesterday afternoon a young woman named Rosina Spinnull, who had married last week in the absence of her lover, was stabbed four times in the back by the latter, a Liverpool sailor, aged 21. The wounds penetrated the lungs.

A List of Some London Murders which Have Gone Unavenged.

It was the boast of Mr. Howard Vincent, at the time he was head of the Criminal Investigation Department, that London is the safest city in the world; and so it would seem to be - for the assassin. The undiscovered murders of recent years make a long list. Passing over the murder of Mrs. Squires and her daughter in their shop at Hoxton in broad daylight; the killing of Jane Maria Clousen in Kidbrook-lane, near Eltham; the murder of the housekeeper to Bevingtons, of Cannon-street, we come to, perhaps, the best remembered and most sensational of the mysterious crimes of the past. On the morning of Christmas-day, 1872, Harriet Buswell was discovered with her throat cut. She was a ballet-girl, employed at the Alhambra, and had been accompanied to her home, 12, Great Coram-street, by a "gentleman," supposed to have been a German, who on the way purchased some apples, one of which was left in the room, and bore the impression of his teeth. This half-eaten apple was the sole clue to the murderer, who was never found. A German clergyman named Hessel was arrested at Ramsgate on suspicion three weeks after the murder, but a protracted magisterial investigation resulted in his complete acquittal.

Mrs. Samuel was brutally done to death at her house in Burton-crescent, and a few doors further up Annie Yeats was murdered under precisely similar circumstances to those attending the death of Harriet Buswell.

Miss Hacker was found dead in a coal-cellar in the house of one Sebastian Bashendorff, in Euston-square, and Hannah Dobbs was tried, but acquitted. An almost identical case happened in Harley-street. In this case the victim was unknown.

Another unknown woman was discovered lying in Burdett-road, Bow, murdered.

Mrs. Reville, a butcher's wife, of Slough, was found sitting in a chair with her throat cut, but no one was apprehended.

Then there was the murder of an unfortunate in her home near Pye-street, Westminster. A rough fellow was known to have gone home with her, and he left an old and dirty neckerchief behind, but he was never found.

Mrs. Samuel was killed with impunity in the Kentish Town Dairy.

The murderer of Miss Clark, who was found at the foot of the stairs in her house, George-street, Marylebone, has gone unpunished.

Besides these there are the cases in which the victims have been men. A grocer's assistant was stabbed to death in the Walworth-road by a man who was stealing a pound of tea from a cart. The act was committed in the sight of a number of people, but the man got away, and to this day has not been captured. Mr. Tower, returning from midnight service on New Year's eve was found in the Stoke Newington reservoir. The police failing to get the faintest clue adopted the theory of suicide, but could get nothing to substantiate it. On 29 March 1884, E. J. Perkins, a clerk in a City office at 2, Arthur-street West, was murdered and from Saturday till Monday his body lay in a cellar in the basement of the building. Lieutenant Roper was shot at the top of the barrack stairs at Chatham, and, though Percy Lefroy Mapleton, who was hanged for the murder of Mr. Gould on the Brighton Railway, accused himself of the murder, it was proved that he could have had no connection with the lieutenant's death. Urban Napoleon Stanger, the baker, of Whitechapel, who vanished so mysteriously, we pass over. The list, though incomplete, is ghastly enough.


The police, justly or unjustly, come in for a large share of the blame of these undiscovered crimes. It is true that Whitechapel is densely populated and difficult to cover, but it is also true that under anything like intelligent police management such a quartette of openly committed murders could hardly have occurred. One thing is absolutely certain, and that is that murderers will always escape with the ease that now characterises their escape in London until the police authorities adopt a different attitude towards the Press. They treat the reporters of the newspapers, who are simply news-gatherers for the great mass of the people, with a snobbery that would be beneath contempt were it not senseless to an almost criminal degree. On Saturday they shut the reporters out of the mortuary; they shut them out of the house where the murder was done; the constable at the mortuary door lied to them; some of the inspectors at the offices seemed to wilfully mislead them; they denied information which would have done no harm to make public, and the withholding of which only tended to increase the public uneasiness over the affair.

Now if the people of London wish murderers detected they must have all this changed. In New York, where the escape of a murderer is as rare as it is common here, the


agents in ferreting out crime than the detectives. They are no more numerous or more intelligent than the reporters of London, but they are given every facility and opportunity to get all the facts, and no part of any case is hidden from them unless the detectives' plan makes it necessary to keep it a secret. The consequence is that a large number of sharp and experienced eyes are focussed upon every point of a case, a number of different theories develop which the reporters themselves follow up, and instances in which the detection of a criminal is due to a newspaper reporter are simply too common to create any particular comment. Reporters are not prying individuals simply endeavoring to gratify their own curiosity. They are direct agents of the people who have a right to the news and a right to know what their paid servants the police and detectives are doing to earn the bread and butter for which the people are taxed. No properly accredited reporter ever wishes to know or print anything that will thwart the ends of justice, but he does desire and is fully entitled to the fullest scope in examining all the details of the case. The sooner the police authorities appreciate and act on this the sooner the Whitechapel fiend will be captured and human life in London rendered a little more safe.


"T. C. M." writes: - May not the horrible murders of Whitechapel be the act of some insane butcher or dissecting-room porter? Mrs. Richardson's account of the ghastly sight of the last poor victim seems to bear out my theory of the crime being the deed of some miscreant who has been accustomed to some such work on the dead subject. As a medical man I am struck by the fact of the viscera being taken out and placed alongside of the unfortunate victim, as if for inspection by the demonstrator at a post-mortem examination. Anyhow, I think all dissecting room or post-mortem porters of the hospitals or mortuaries and even veterinary assistants should be scrutinised as to their state of mind also, and especially should some account be ascertained of all such persons who have lately left such situations, either of their own free will or by dismissal.


The Secretary of the St. Jude's District Committee writes: - A few days after the murder of the woman in George-yard, last month, a meeting of about 70 men, residing in the buildings in the immediate neighborhood, was held, and after discussion a committee of twelve was appointed to act as watchers. We wish to suggest that other committees should be formed without loss of time. If some communication could be set up between these committees, when constituted, our powers would be strengthened, and our opportunities improved.

Page 3


A Man Thought to be "Leather Apron" Arrested and Released - A Man who Admits He Quarreled with a Woman in the Neighborhood of Hanbury-street Captured at Gravesend - Opening of the Inquest on the Victim.

The Press Association says: - About nine o'clock this morning a detective arrested a man as "Leather Apron," who was wanted in connection with the Whitechapel murder, at 22, Mulberry-street, Commercial-street. The real name of the man arrested is John Piser, but his friends deny that he has ever been known under the nickname of "Leather Apron." When the detective called at the house the door was opened by Piser himself.


said the detective, who charged him on suspicion of being connected with the murder of the woman Sivvy. The detective searched the house, and took away some finishing tools which Piser is in the habit of using in his work. By trade he is a boot finisher, and for some time has been living at Mulberry-street with his stepmother (Mrs. Piser) and a married brother, who works as a cabinet-maker. When he was arrested by the detective this morning his brother was at work, and the only inmates of the house were the prisoner's stepmother, his sister-in-law, and a Mr. Nathan, for whom he has worked. His mother and his sister-in-law declared positively to a representative of the Press Association that Piser came home at half-past ten on Thursday night, and


They further stated that Piser is unable to do much on account of ill-health, and that he is by no means a strong person, as some time ago he was seriously injured in a vital part. About six weeks ago he left a convalescent home, in which he had been an inmate on account of a carbuncle on his neck. He is about 35 years of age, and since he was three years old has been brought up by Mrs. Piser. He lost his father some 16 years ago. At the Leman-street Police-station, to which station Piser was taken, a large force of police were kept in readiness with drawn staves. Only a few people amongst the crowd outside seemed aware that an arrest had been made, and so quietly did the police act in Mulberry-street that few even in the neighborhood connected the arrest with the murder. The police at Leman-street refuse to give any information, and some officials who had come from Scotland-yard


but this statement was, of course, incorrect, seeing that the arrest is admitted by the prisoner's relatives. The prisoner is a Jew.

Our reporter writes: - The man arrested by Detective-Sergeant Thicke is now at Leman-street Station. He fits the description of "Leather Apron" exactly, and this similarity is the cause of his arrest. He denies, however, that he is the man wanted, and says he never wore a leather apron in the streets. He is waiting, however, to be recognised, or the contrary, by some people from Wilmot's Lodging House who know "Leather Apron" well. He went along submissively with Detective-Sergeant Thicke. His stepmother and his stepsister deny in the strongest terms that he is "Leather Apron." They say that he has been steady


for his stepbrother, Piser, who is a boot manufacturer. Before that time he was ill with a carbuncle on his neck, and confined for some time in a hospital. The women were in great trouble over the arrest, but assured a Star reporter that he was never out late at night while living at home, and that assaults on street-women and the robbing of them was simply impossible, as he was a sober, industrious, and kind-hearted man.

Piser was kept for about two hours at Leman-street Station, and then taken up to Commercial-street. At half-past twelve he was ushered into the main office of the station, half a dozen policemen guarding the doors. Piser sat down on the seat next the outside wall. He looked


No questions were asked him, the only ceremony being that a woman sitting in the corner behind the table was told to look sharp. She had been sitting there all the forenoon, doubtless for the purpose of identification. Then Piser was taken into the inner office, the doors were closed, and the further ceremonies were known only to the detectives.

A later dispatch says: The man arrested by the police this morning and erroneously described as "Leather Apron" was able to satisfy the authorities of Bethnal-green Station of his identity and of his absolute innocence of anything connected with the Spitalfields tragedy. Consequently he was immediately discharged. The police, however, attach far more importance to the arrest which has been made at Gravesend, but will not express an opinion until witnesses who have been sent for have seen him.

Reports are constantly arriving at headquarters of men whose descriptions resemble that of the supposed murderer being arrested. At noon there were no fewer than seven persons in custody in different parts of the East-end on suspicion. The police at the various centres have, however, received strict instructions from Scotland-yard not to communicate details to the press. Several of those detained have been released.


A correspondent telegraphs this morning that a man has been arrested at Gravesend in connection with the murder. Between eight and nine o'clock last night Superintendent Berry, of Gravesend, had a communication made to him that there was a suspicious-looking individual at the Pope's Head Public-house, West-street, and at once despatched a sergeant to the house, and the man was arrested, and taken to the police station. It was noticed that one of his hands was bad, and on examining it the superintendent said it had evidently been bitten. When asked how he accounted for his hand being in this condition, the man said he was


at half-past four o'clock on Saturday morning last, and a woman fell down in a fit. He stooped to pick her up, when she bit him. He then hit her, and as two policemen came up he ran away. Having examined the man's clothing very carefully, Dr. Whitcombe, the police-surgeon, was sent for, and the doctor discovered blood spots on two shirts, which the man was carrying in a bundle. The doctor also expressed an opinion that blood had been wiped from off his boots. After being cautioned the man is alleged to have stated that the woman who bit him was at the back of a lodging-house at the time. He also said that on Thursday night he slept


Whitechapel; but that on Friday he was walking about Whitechapel all night, and that he came from London to Gravesend by road yesterday. This morning he states that his name is William Henry Piggott, and that he is 52 years of age. He further said that some years ago he lived at Gravesend, his father having at one time held a position there connected with a friendly society. The man appears to be in a very nervous state. Detective-Sergeant Abberline has arrived at Gravesend from Scotland-yard.

Pigott was brought up this morning to London-bridge by the eighteen minutes past ten train, in charge of Detective Abberline, who was met at the station by Detective Stacy from Scotland-yard. The prisoner was not handcuffed, and was smoking a clay pipe and carrying a white cloth bundle. He passed quickly out of the station, no one among the public apparently noticing him, and was driven in a four-wheeled cab to the police-station in Commercial-street. He has not yet been charged.

The prisoner stands barely 5ft. high. He has a long dark beard, and he wears dark clothes. He is without a waistcoat, and there are several bloodstains on his clothes. Apparently he has been drinking heavily, his condition indicating a recent recovery from delirium tremens. He still maintains that his hand was bitten by a woman whom he knocked down. The prisoner is now locked up in the cells awaiting the arrival of witnesses with a view to identification.

This morning at the Working Lads' Institute, Whitechapel, Coroner Baxter opened the inquest on the mutilated body of Annie Chapman, alias Sivvy, the woman who was found murdered in the backyard of 29, Hanbury-street, Spitalfields, on Saturday morning. A more commodious room than that in which the grim inquiry was held could not be desired, ample space being left after the jury had been arranged on the coroner's left. Very few of the general public were admitted, however, but during the proceedings knots of gossips stood in front of the Home discussing the repulsive details of the series of crimes of which this is the latest. Inspector Helson, of the Criminal Investigation Department, watched the proceedings on behalf of the police, and Coroner Baxter had associated with him Mr. Collyer, his deputy. There was only one Jew on the jury, a rather curious circumstance considering to what extent Hebrews compose the local population. That unpleasant necessity, the viewing of the body, having been duly performed by the jury,


of 29, Hanbury-street, was called. He said: I am a carman, and I have lived at 29, Hanbury-street, for a fortnight, occupying one room at the top of the house with my wife and three sons. My window was closed during the night. I was awake from three to five on Saturday morning, but fell off to sleep at five till a quarter to six. Then I got up, had a cup of tea, and went downstairs to the backyard. The yard door was shut, but I do not know whether it was latched, for I was too upset at what I saw to remember. The yard is a large one, separated from the yards on both sides by close wooden fences about 5ft. 6in. in height.

The Coroner: I hope the police will have a plan ready for me by the next time. I may say that in the country the police always used to give me a little plan in cases of any importance at all, and certainly this is of sufficient importance to warrant the taking of that trouble.

One of the inspectors present informed the Coroner that a plan would be ready by the time to which the inquest was adjourned.

Witness, proceeding, said: Directly I opened the back door leading into the yard I saw a woman lying near the fence. She was lying flat on her back, with her clothes up above her knees. I ran back along the passage to the front door, and


whose names I don't know, but whom I know by sight.

The Coroner: Have the names of those men been ascertained?

Inspector Chandler: I have made inquiries, but I cannot find the men.

The Coroner: They must be found.

Witness: They work at Bailey's, the packing-case maker's, but I could not find them on Saturday as I had my work to do.

The Coroner: Your work is of no consequence compared with this inquiry.

Witness: I am giving all the information I can.

The Coroner: You must find these men, either by the assistance of the police or my officer. Now, did these men come when called?

Witness: Yes, sir; they came, and then we all went and fetched the police. I informed the inspector at the Commercial-street station, and he sent some constables.

Had you ever seen the woman before? - No, sir.

Were you the first down that day, as far as you know? - No; because a man named Thompson had to get up to go to work at about half-past three, but I don't suppose he went into the yard.

Have you ever seen women in that yard who don't belong to the house? - Mrs. Richardson says that women do go there, but I have never seen any, having only been there a fortnight.

Did you hear any noise this Saturday morning before you saw the body lying in the yard.? - No, sir.


of 30, Dorset-street, the common lodging-house in which the deceased frequently slept, said: I am a married woman, but my husband, who was formerly a soldier and then a dock laborer, had an accident, and so I go out to do work for the Jews, washing, charing, &c. I knew the deceased well, and have done for quite five years. I have seen the body, and am quite sure it is the body of Annie Chapman. She was the widow of Frederick Chapman, who was a veterinary surgeon at Windsor, and who died about 18 months ago.


Deceased had lived apart from him for the last four years. She was without any settled home, and lived chiefly in the common lodging-houses of the East-end. Two years ago she lived at 30, Dorset-street, with a man who made wire sieves, and at that time she was receiving 10s. a week from her husband. I do not know the sievemaker's name (proceeded the witness), but I know him well by sight. I saw him last about eighteen months ago, when he had left deceased. I saw the deceased several times last week. Last Monday she had a bruise on one of her temples and also a bruise on her chest, both of which, she said, had been caused by a woman who was acquainted with a man known as "Harry the hawker." Deceased added that she was with a man named Ted Stanley, a very respectable man, and she went into a public-house in which "Harry the hawker" was present in a drunken state. She prevented the woman with Harry the hawker from besting him of a florin, and that caused the ill feeling which led to the fight. The next time I met deceased she said she did not feel well, so she should go into the casual ward and try and pull round. I gave her 2d. to get a cup of tea, telling her not to get any rum, as I had frequently seen her


I am afraid deceased used to earn her living partly on the streets. She was a very straightforward woman when she was sober, clever and industrious with her needle; but she could not take much drink without getting intoxicated. She had been living a very irregular life all the time I've known her.

The Coroner here perused a letter handed to him by the police. It was a communication from the Windsor police, and the Coroner's remark to the jury after reading it was that it appeared to be very doubtful whether deceased's husband was not a coachman instead of a veterinary surgeon as had been stated.


of 35, Dorset-street, Spitalfields, the deputy of the lodging-house there, said: Deceased has lodged at my place for the last four months, but was not there last week. She said she had been in the infirmary. On Friday she asked me not to let her bed, because, although she did not then have the money, she would get it. That was the last I saw of her till I identified her body.

The Coroner: Was she the worse for drink when you saw her last? - Well, she had had enough, sir, and I remarked to her that it was rather remarkable that she she could find money for beer and not for her bed.

Did you see her with any man that night? - No, sir.

She was going to get money, so where do you think was going to get it? - I could not say. She used to come and stay at the lodging-house with a man whose name I do not know, but who was said to be a pensioner. He had a soldier-like appearance. She has come at other times with other men, but I have refused her.

The Coroner: You only allow the women at your lodging-house to have one husband then? - Well, her husband told me not to let the bed to her if she had any other man with her. As a rule she occupied a double bed by herself.

The Coroner: Is anything known of this pensioner by the police?

An Inspector: No, sir.

Witness: Sometimes he was dressed like a dock laborer, while at other times he was gentlemanly attired. I do not know eve his Christian name. He was rather dark, and she used to meet him always at the top of the street, I believe.

Do you know anything more about deceased? - No, except that she was on very good terms with the other lodgers, and we never had any trouble with her. During last week she had a black eye, but she did not say how she got it. All she said was, "Tim, this is lovely, ain't it?"


the watchman at 35, Dorset-street, said deceased was the worse for drink when she went away on Friday night to get money for her lodging. Witness knew she was on the streets, but knew of no man with whom she associated except the pensioner. After the body had been found the pensioner called to know if it was true that she was dead, and on being answered in the affirmative, he went straight off, without saying a word.

By the jury: Have you ever heard any one threaten deceased, or heard her express any fear of any one? - No, sir.

The inquest was then adjourned till Wednesday.

There are two general clues to the murderer at the present time. The first deals with the famous, or infamous "Leather Apron," whose name is on everybody's lips in the Whitechapel district. The case against "Leather Apron," briefly summed up, is as follows: - That the murders are evidently the work of a maniac, and this man is quite crazy enough to fall within that class. His beastly brutality, manifested in his attacks on Whitechapel street-walkers are quite in keeping with the late fiendish deeds. He disappeared from his accustomed haunts just about the time of the George-yard murder, has not been in any of the lodging-houses in which he has slept for years, and since that murder has been seen only once or twice in a district in which he is known by sight to many. Furthermore a man exactly answering his description was found one night sleeping on the steps in the very house and in the very passage through which the victim of Saturday was led to her death. Jews who are driven to sleep in passage ways are not common even in Whitechapel, and there is little question that the party with the Hebrew face who was found asleep in the passage at 29, Hanbury-street, was the redoubtable "Leather Apron."


is that of the man who went into the Prince Albert public-house with bloody hands, a torn shirt, and a bloodstreak on his neck. Mrs. Chappell, who saw the man along with Mrs. Fiddymont, was a customer, not friend of the latter, and the two stories of the man, which were independent of each other, agreed perfectly. Mrs. Fiddymont yesterday added to her previous statement the fact that the back of the man's head was grimy, as if it had been bloody, and had been dampened or spit upon in the endeavor to rub the blood off instead of washing it. The dried blood between the fingers was thus clear, though the back of the hand held only three or four small distinct spots. The man did not look in the least like a butcher, and no theory born of his appearance could account for his bloody hands at seven a.m.

Joseph Taylor also had some facts to add to his account of Saturday. Mr. Taylor is a cautious and entirely reliable man, and freely told all he knew to two detectives on Saturday. He says that as he entered the public-house Mrs. Fiddymont said that a man had just left whom she would like to give in charge on suspicion of the murder. Taylor went out a moment later without any particular intention of


whom Mrs. Chappell pointed out to him. The man was going towards Bishopsgate, however, and, as this was Taylor's direction, he increased his pace.

"It was all I could do to overtake him," he said yesterday, "and I am not a bad walker myself. The man walked very rapidly, however, with a peculiar springy walk that I would recognise again. He carried himself very erect, like a horse soldier. He had a ginger-colored moustache, longer than mine and curling a little at the ends. His shoulders were very square and his neck rather long. He was neither stout nor thin, and seemed between 30 and 40 years old. His face was medium in stoutness. There were faint hollows under the cheekbones. One thing that impressed me was that the man


He crossed Brushfield-street three times in going from the Prince Albert to the next street, which was Bishopsgate. He clearly did not know where he was going. When he reached Bishopsgate, he stood at the corner and looked up and down the street undecided. Then he made up his mind and started across Brushfield-street rapidly, and kept on down Bishopsgate towards Liverpool-street. I followed as far as Half-Moon street, where my work was, and watched him for some time from the corner, but he kept straight on. I assure you that when I came alongside of him his look was enough to frighten any woman. His eyes were wild-looking and staring. He held his coat together at the chin with both hands, the collar being buttoned up, and everything about his appearance was exceedingly strange.

Description of a Man "Wanted."

The series of murders which now even the police believe to be the work of one man, is engaging the attention of a large force of plain clothes detectives. At eight o'clock last night the Scotland-yard authorities circulated a description of a man who, they say, "entered the passage of the house, 29, Hanbury-street, at which the murder was committed with a prostitute, at two a.m., the 8th." They give his age as 37, height 5ft. 7in., and add that he is rather dark, had a beard and moustache; was dressed in a short dark jacket, dark vest and trousers, black scarf and black felt hat; and spoke with a foreign accent.


Some more reliable particulars concerning the woman last murdered have been furnished by Amelia Farmer, who had occupied the next bed to her in a lodging-house in Dorset-street. She says Annie Chapman was the wife of a veterinary surgeon at Windsor, had for a long time been separated from her husband by mutual agreement, and had been allowed 10s. a week by him for her maintenance. About 18 months ago the instalments ceased, because the husband died. Farmer had been in the habit of writing letters for her friend. She could not remember the exact address of the mother or sister, but thought it was near the Brompton Hospital. Last Monday Chapman had intimated her intention of communicating with her sister, saying, "If I can get a pair of boots from my sister I shall go hop-picking." Another relative, a brother-in-law of the deceased, lived somewhere in or near Oxford-street. For some time past the murdered woman had been living occasionally with a man named Ted Stanley, who had been in the militia, but was now working at some neighboring brewery. Ted Stanley was a good-tempered man, rather tall, about 5ft. 10in., fair, and of florid complexion. He was the last man in the world to have quarrelled with Chapman, nor would he have injured her in any way. At the beginning of the week the deceased had been rather severely knocked about in the breast and face by another woman of the locality through jealousy in connection with Ted Stanley, and had been obliged to go to the casual ward or infirmary. As a regular means of livelihood she had not been in the habit of frequenting the streets, but had made antimaccassars for sale. Sometimes she would buy flowers or matches with which to pick up a living.


Farmer was perfectly certain that on Friday night the murdered woman had worn three rings which were not genuine, but were imitations, otherwise she would not have troubled to go out and find money for her lodgings. It has been definitely ascertained that the woman did wear two rings at the time of her death. They were of brass. One was a wedding ring, and the other a keeper of fancy pattern. Both are missing, and the police are still searching for them. It was believed on Saturday night that an important clue had been obtained, a pawnbroker having detained rings of the same description which were offered in pledge, but investigation showed they were not the murdered woman's.


In order not to lose any evidence of value, the post-mortem examination was conducted without delay at the mortuary, to which the body had been removed by the police divisional surgeon, who, upon advice, reserves his description of the injuries until the inquest. It is, however, this gentleman's opinion, as communicated to his chiefs, that death had taken place some two or three hours prior to the first examination of the corpse, shortly after its discovery. If that view of the medical aspect of the case be correctly stated, the time of the murder must have been earlier than four in the morning. Not a sound was heard to fix the time by. On Saturday the sun rose at twenty-three minutes past five; for half an hour previously the light would be such as to render it difficult for any one to distinguish even near objects. At a quarter before five o'clock John Richardson, son of the landlady, of 29, Hanbury-street, as usual, went to his mother's to see if everything was right in the back yard. Richardson sat down on the steps to cut a piece of leather from his boot. The door would then partially hide the corner between the house and the fence. This man is quite clear that he saw nothing to attract his attention before he left. About twenty-five minutes past five Albert Cadosch, living at No. 31, the next house on the left-hand side, entered the yard adjoining that of No. 29. He states that he heard some talking on the other side of the palings, and he distinguished the word "No." There was then, he fancied, a slight scuffle, with the noise of something falling, but he took no notice, thinking that it was from his neighbors. It was half an hour later, at six o'clock, that John Davis, before going to his work, walked along the passage into the yard, and made the horrifying discovery of the mutilated body. There are several reports of deceased having been seen in the company of a man early on Saturday morning, but little reliance is placed upon them. In one case, a man employed at a public-house, who gave information, failed to identify the deceased as the woman he believed to have been called out of the place at five a.m. by a man in a skull cap.


Although, of course, the exact details of the post mortem have not been made public, it is known that Dr. Phillips was unable to find any trace of alcohol in the stomach of the deceased, thus disproving many reports that when the woman was last seen alive she was the worse for drink. On the right side of the head was a large bruise, showing that the deceased woman must have been dealt a heavy blow at that spot. There were also other bruises about the face, and finger-marks were discernible. The latter indicate that the murderer must first have grasped his victim by the throat, probably in order to prevent her crying out.

From the third finger of the left hand rings, it was seen, had been wrenched off, and the hands and arms were much bruised. Deceased wore lace-up boots and striped stockings, two cotton petticoats, and was otherwise respectably, though poorly dressed. In the pockets there were a handkerchief, two small combs, and an envelope with the seal of the Sussex Regiment. There were also found two farthings polished brightly, and, according to some, these coins had been passed off as half-sovereigns upon the deceased by her murderer.


With regard to the bright farthings, a woman has stated that a man accosted her on Saturday morning and gave her two "half-sovereigns," but that, when he became violent, she screamed and he ran off. She discovered afterwards that the "half-sovereigns" were two brass medals. It is said that this woman did accompany the man, who seemed as if he would kill her, to a house in Hanbury-street, possibly No. 29, at half-past two a.m. This woman, Emily Walter, a lodger in one of the common lodging-houses of Spitalfields, was asked to describe the man, but her description of him was not considered clear. Still the police determined to follow up the matter, more particularly because the woman states that the man seemed ready to kill her. The woman's description did not answer the description of the man "Leather Apron," for whom they have been searching in connection with the murder of Mary Ann Nicholls.

A Woman Found on the Pavement Dead and her "Husband" Missing.

Shortly after eleven o'clock on Saturday night, while patrolling his beat in the Blackfriars-road, Constable M73 noticed a crowd assembled opposite the late Rowland Hill Chapel. A well-dressed young woman was lying on the pavement. There were two gentlemanly-looking men, one of whom was examining her. The police officer said, "Stand on one side." The other man, who was wearing a tall silk hat, remarked, "I am her husband." A surgeon could not be found, and the man wearing a tall hat remarked that "he would go himself in search of a medical man." The body was removed in an ambulance to the hospital, where the woman was found to be dead. The husband did not appear at the hospital, nor had he been seen up to a late hour last night. Before he left to go in search of a medical man he handed some property over to the police, consisting of a reticule, parasol with bow handle, mounted in silver, and a brush and comb in a white calico bag. The following is the description of the woman: - Age 27 years, height 5ft. 5in., complexion fair, eyes blue, hair light auburn, teeth very regular and white. Dress, black silk dress, with satin stripes, black silk bodice, mauve satin stomacher, mauve satin petticoat, two white line petticoats, flannel ditto, high laced-up boots, and dark stockings. On person gold watch and chain, gold bracelet jewelled, four rings - a wedding ring and keeper, and a ruby and emerald; one sovereign and a half in gold and two florins. On opening the umbrella another sovereign fell out. A paper parcel containing a pair of boots and other articles bore the name of a tradesman in Canterbury, Kent.

The event is surrounded by mystery. One of our reporters called on Dr. Luard, at St. Thomas's Hospital, to see if he could ascertain the cause of death, and thereby gain a clue. "There is no evidence to show how she died," said the young doctor.

The police know nothing of the strange affair either. The description already given of the woman is pretty correct, but the inspector at Kennington-road station is in entire ignorance of the man who is alleged to have been standing beside the woman when Constable 73 L arrived. The deceased woman was carrying a brown-paper parcel in her hand. On this was printed "Kennedy's Shoe Warehouse, Sun-street, Canterbury." Inside the paper was a pair of button boots, patent leather fronts, and on the paper was written - "Mrs Byrne, 42, Broad-street."

The body has been removed to the parish mortuary awaiting identification. It was kept for some time at the hospital waiting for the arrival of the "husband," but he did not come.

Page 4

The Police and the Murders.

SIR, - As a reader and agent of your paper I should like to hear some of your readers' opinions what they think of the police proceedings at the East-end in respect of this heartless murder. It seems to me very strange that the authorities lay themselves out to prosecute the clubs where there is any chance of getting a conviction, while all the most barefaced robberies and murders take place week after week, and they are supposed to make elaborate arrangements to effect a capture of the culprit, but nothing seems ever to come of it, and it all seems to drop. - Yours, &c.,


6 Sept.

Related pages:
  Annie Chapman
       Home: Timeline - Annie Chapman 
       Dissertations: Cadosch – The Other Side of the Fence 
       Dissertations: Considerable Doubt and the Death of Annie Chapman 
       Dissertations: Long -vs- Cadoche 
       Dissertations: The Pensioner, and a Brief History of Fort Elson 
       Dissertations: Windows and Witnesses 
       Message Boards: Annie Chapman 
       Message Boards: Annie Chapman, Jack the Ripper Victim: A Short Biography 
       Official Documents: Annie Chapman's Inquest 
       Press Reports: Alderley and Wilmslow Advertiser - 21 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Atlanta Constitution - 8 June 1889 
       Press Reports: British Daily Whig - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: British Medical Journal - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Croydon Advertiser - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Croydon Advertiser - 5 January 1889 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 17 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily News - 27 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 19 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 27 September 1888 
       Press Reports: East End News - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Advertiser - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Advertiser - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Advertiser - 29 September 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Observer - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: East London Observer - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Eastern Post - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Eastern Post - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Eastern Post - 29 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 19 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Echo - 8 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 27 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 8 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 17 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Evening Standard - 27 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 10 Sep... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 11 Sep... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 13 Sep... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 14 Sep... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 15 Sep... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 20 Sep... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 27 Sep... 
       Press Reports: Freemans Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser - 28 Sep... 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 27 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times: 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Lloyds Weekly News - 30 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Lloyds Weekly News - 9 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Macclesfield Courier and Herald - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Macclesfield Courier and Herald - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Manchester Guardian - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Manitoba Daily Free Press - 9 January 1892 
       Press Reports: Marion Daily Star - 22 May 1889 
       Press Reports: Montreal Daily Star - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 18 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 27 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Morning Advertiser - 28 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Munster News - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Munster News - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Munster News - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Munster News - 8 September 1888 
       Press Reports: New York Times - 9 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 27 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 8 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Penny Illustrated Paper - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Penny Illustrated Paper - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 23 September 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 30 September 1888 
       Press Reports: People - 9 September 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Budget - 22 September 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Budget - 29 September 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: St. James Gazette - 27 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 26 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 27 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 8 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Te Aroha News - 10 November 1888 
       Press Reports: Times - 10 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 13 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 15 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 18 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 20 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Times [London] - 27 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Weekly Herald - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Woodford Times - 14 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Woodford Times - 21 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Woodford Times - 28 September 1888 
       Ripper Media: Annie Chapman, Jack the Ripper Victim: A Short Biography 
       Ripper Media: Dark Annie (Piston Baroque) 
       Victims: Annie Chapman 
       Victims: Testimonies of Elizabeth Long and Albert Cadoche 
       Victorian London: Hanbury Street 
  Leather Apron
       Press Reports: Atchison Daily Globe - 5 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Austin Statesman - 05 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Daily Telegraph - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Galveston Daily News - 5 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Manchester Guardian - 6 September 1888 
       Press Reports: News of the World - 21 October 1900 
       Press Reports: Star - 5 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 6 September 1888 
       Suspects: David Cohen 
       Witnesses: Elizabeth Allen 
  William Pigott
       Message Boards: William Pigott 
       Press Reports: Evening News - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Irish Times - 12 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Pall Mall Gazette - 11 September 1888 
       Press Reports: Star - 18 September 1888 
       Ripper Media: Jack the Ripper: A Suspect Guide - William Pigott