Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Time Traveling What if Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » Time Traveling What if « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 13, 2003Martin Fido25 7-13-03  7:47 am
Archive through August 06, 2003Diana 25 8-06-03  3:40 pm
Archive through September 19, 2003Petra Zaagman25 9-19-03  7:19 am
Archive through February 07, 2004AP Wolf25 2-07-04  3:25 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too wonder about why time travelers from the future haven't contacted us. Maybe they don't want to mess up the time line. If you look back in this thread, I asked any time travelers out there reading this website to send me the winning lotto numbers. Never heard from any time travelers. But I'm still holding out hope one of them emails me the winning lotto numbers next week. :-)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric

Ah, but if they knew the lottery numbers then they'd win it themselves, wouldn't they?

Mark my words, Eric : you may be going home one night and brush against someone. You will never know it, but he will be a lottery winner from the future - spending his winnings in the present before inflation kicks in.

"Plan 9 from Outer Space" Robert

M.Mc.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aw but would not time travel it's self would change time events? So one could say that the person going back in time opens yet another pocket of time in which they enter the past. Because they change time just by going back through it. So that would mean there is the time we know and the time they changed ports. (Sorry if I'm giving you all a headache) However if you look at the pockets of time as say a bee hive then it makes more since. If I could go back in time and not only find out who Jack the Ripper was, kill Hitler and maybe clear up the whole JFK assassination as well who knows what would happen in this time. (???) Perhaps it would cause the earth to blow up and who needs that? Then there is the whole getting stuck in the past thing that could happen. If you went back in time to 1888 how would you feel if you could not return to your own time? AGH! People didn't even bathe as much as they do now and there was no TV. No internet. Doctor care back then was as awful as Jack the Ripper coming towards you with his bloody knife. Also people tend to forget that the air was full of things we don't put up with now days. Being that coal and gas was used daily by everyone. Gaslights gave off toxic fumes that caused problems with peoples heath but that's not even the worst of it. The only good thing about going back in the past would be that you would know what was going to come about that is if you being there didn't change the out come of unfolding events in the first place. If not then you could get rich off of having so called ESP, just because you know stuff that will happen.

Now if you all will excuse me I just gave myself a headache explaining this. Heh, heh!

Randy Scholl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew Spallek writes:
[ Images of light and sound from the past are still "out there" somewhere traveling through space. Conceivably, these light and sound waves could be received in the present and observed, much as radio waves broadcast years ago could conceivably yet be received. But this would be observation only and not interaction with the past. ]

The above might seem rather far-fetched, but it does illustrate a very simple and valid principle, one which allows us to "see into the past" so to speak, already. Namely, that events of the past do leave their traces into the present. This principle is what allows paleontologists to learn a great deal about long-extinct animals from their fossil remains; it's what allows forensic pathologists to reconstruct crimes after the fact; it's what allows us now to speculate now about the identity of Jack the Ripper and have a modicum of hope of actually solving the riddle. Namely, the principle is that the present holds a lot of information about things which have occurred in the past, and our present methods of reading the evidence only barely scratches the surface -- we're only capable of reading a miniscule fraction of all the information which is out there, much less knowing what to do with this information. But personally, I believe that if it were possible to know in minute detail everything which is occurring at this very moment all over the planet, it would be possible in principle to extrapolate the causes of all these present events backwards to reconstruct a very accurate depiction of everything which has occurred in the past several hundred years at least. But I suspect that one would needn't to be quite that thorough to answer specific questions about specific events...

Now, imagine if you will, building a computer the size of a planet, one which is capable of processing and drawing inferences from an inconceivable amount of data in a relatively short time. And suppose you gave it the task of discovering who Jack the Ripper really was. Where would one start their search for information? Personally, I think the first thing to do would be to set as a goal a reconstruction of the movements of as many people as possible during the basic time-frame and the general area during which these crimes were committed. So the obvious place to start would be to feed it information from the public records for every single person who ever set foot in the greater London area, spanning a time from say 1850 - 1900. Now, every single piece of information would be important for this primary goal, because at this point we're not trying to find out who Jack was yet; we're simply attempting to reconstruct the whole process of events and interactions occurring within a specified time-period and region. Of course, we would also have to feed into it "larger" events, i.e., the events which actually made history, such as the riot in Trafalgar square, etc. etc.

Now once all information from the public records is entered into the system, the Mega-Computer will be able to reconstruct a very very rough outline of the movements of the people in the City through the specified period. And at this point, the computer would be given free reign to search out further data to fill in the gaps, drawing on any number of sources, such as physical evidence which it could conceivably gather on its own (perhaps an army of robots specially designed for this task) searching in other records from other areas (as some people would have immigrated or emigrated either prior or afterwards) or even reading people's diaries and biographies from that time-frame. Eventually, the ultimate goal would be to have as complete and detailed a reconstruction of all the movements, activities, events, relationships, etc. occurring within this time frame.

And only then would it begin an active search for Jack himself among this complex, interweaving pattern of movements. And where our computer would go from there I won't even hazard a guess, but now it has a solid context within which it could make an educated search...

matthew conrad
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

}i am posting this all over this net its a theory:
is it feasible that your dreams could be a window into all the other parrelle dimentions. if you think about it every dream you can remember you are the "actor" it involves you in some kind of situation . now allthough thesee situations are emensly impossable...in this universe. how do you kno there not in others. example: you have a dream where you are flying with no help. allthough not possable in this universe it might be in another., you have a night meare that your mother or closes friend dies . allthough it didnt happen here it did in another universe.if all this is true ....which its a possability. then eventu7ally ytou could harness the power of this to travel to parellel universes not in body but in mind. with enough knoweldge of this we could figure the mechanics of WHY U dream. why certin dreams? why certin nightmears.

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, time to take this thread in a new direction. Let's say my time machine works and I nab JTR and bring him to our time. What is the one question you would ask him if you could interview him?

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 837
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"What happened to the second brass ring?"

Love,

Crypticaz

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"And where our computer would go from there I won't even hazard a guess, but now it has a solid context within which it could make an educated search..."

>>Randy,
You don't need a mega computer to get a solid context! You can have it yourself now, free of charge. It's called central epistemology. Just think logically about what the key element of the Whitechapel murders was. Then, simply let the data of the case evidence arrange itself around this center before your very eyes. Presto! Case solution. If I can do it, anybody can.

Bullwinkle

Jeff Hamm
Inspector
Username: Jeffhamm

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric,
How about "What's your name?" ha! Probably, I would just ask "Why"? Not that I would really expect to get an honest answer, but to me, those are the two most puzzeling aspects of this case. The Who and the Why. Ok, so that pretty much covers the whole case really.

- Jeff

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

e·pis·te·mol·o·gy - Noun:

The branch of philosophy that studies the nature of knowledge, its presuppositions and foundations, and its extent and validity

Perhaps you are using the wrong word?

crix0r

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

e·pis·te·mol·o·gy - Noun:

The branch of philosophy that studies the nature of knowledge, its presuppositions and foundations, and its extent and validity

Perhaps you are using the wrong word?

crix0r

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Double post, my apologies..

Damn you Internet Explorer, damn you straight to hell!!

crix0r

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Never pass up an opportunity to quote the great Inigo Montoya

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inconceivable!!

Oh I so wanted to quote him, however, I thought that it might be misconstrued. Which of course, I'm not against. I'd just rather do it in the proper thread and/or chat room :-)

But now that I know it's not off limits :P

Perhaps we could modify one:

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You attempted to destroy logic and forward thinking. Prepared to die"

Whatta think?

crix0r
P.S. Just for the sake of correctness I _think_ the quote is actually "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means". However, I'd have to go home and check out the DVD to be certain.

(Scratch that, I read your post to fast. Sorry Ally)

(Message edited by crix0r on March 11, 2004)

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have saved yourself a thorough thrashing in the nick of time, mon-sure.

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 511
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never cricise Ally, Jason, she'll set the RUS's on you!

Anyway, to get back on topic, I guess I'd ask him if he'd ever thought about taking up a more relaxing hobby, like flower arranging or something!

But seriously I think Jeff hit the nail on the head. The first question would have to be "why?"

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ROUS's?

Surely not!!

Yeah.. having an answer to 'why' would surely help tremendously. Though, my thinking as of late tends to be: Given that a majority of them were older and at the very least, could have reminded the killer of his mother, I'd look for an absent mother. If not absent, something secret or horrible involving his mother. Abuse, perhaps. Finding out a secret like he had been 'living a lie', things like that.

I have a friend who found out one day over summer break that his 'mother' was actually his 'grandmother' and that his mother had abandoned him very early in life, though he knew her as his 'aunt'. He is still to this day a little off (about half a bubble for those carpenters out there). It was a rather sad thing. I watched as my seemingly normal friend turned into a supafreakŪ, almost overnight.

Needless to say, he doesn't trust women and I would venture to say his hatred of them now knows no bounds. Something like this could have set sir Jack off. Then again, it very well might not have. This is why I like to stay away from suspects :P

Bearing that in mind, I wonder if any of our 'usual suspects' had a mother who was either absent, abused him (verbally or sexually) or had a secret that he would consider 'horrible' or 'life changing'?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

crix0r

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 860
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think when you get the 'who', sometimes the 'why' falls into place without actually having to ask him. (Not that he is ever going to say "It's a fair cop, I'm a horrible little man who couldn't handle having no one of any real consequence admiring and respecting me and wishing they could be me" - whoever he turns out to be.)

I think we may be looking for someone from a large family, who felt that all the parental affection, attention and approval he craved was being diverted to more valued siblings.

In other words, a needle in a haystack.

The only surprise is why there were not far more serial killers in an age of such large families, where competition for parental praise must have been stiff to say the least. Perhaps it was fine as long as the whole brood felt equally deprived or equally loved and cared for (I don't mean materially).

It's the sense of starting out on an uneven playing field that might have launched our Jack into a lifetime of needing to be noticed and searching for an identity that would ensure he was noticed.

Love,

Caz

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz and all:
O.K.. I would have to ask him if he killed Martha Tabram and if so why the difference in style. Course if he wouldn't talk, dousing his shorts with horse liniment would be the next step. (Imagine nuclear stregnth ben gad on your privates and you see what I mean)
Caz, I see what you mean, i'm the ninth of eleven children and one tends to get lost in the shuffle at times. But, I don't believe he came from a big family mainly because there would have been too many people too close to him that might have guessed about his "funny little games"
Hi Ally! Kindest regards, Neil

Scott Suttar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Scotty

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Yes, I suspect that we would probably have to ask his name first. I doubt we would have heard of him. Once identity had been established I would want to know who were his victims. It would be good to know who was and was not a ripper victim. Further to that I would still have three questions. What was his MO? What time did he kill Kelly? Did he write any of the letters?
Scotty.

Angel
Police Constable
Username: Angel

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

They say the devil is in the details, and given the infinite possibilities that Time Travel (were it possible beyond our imagination) allows, I would have to know the devil.

Taking every postulated Ripper victim, real or otherwise, I would view the events in it entirety. From there I would go back to the killers birth and watch his/her/their life unfold - noting every influence, action and behaviour that made the person.

No doubt, if the same hand was responsible for more than one victim there would be overlapping facts for at least the Canonical five, if not more.

I would want to view the police investigations, to see how close or far from the reality of suspects they danced.

Basically, I would view both the killers lives and the victims lives in their entirety - start to finish. Time Travel affords this possibility. Asking questions of killers and victims would serve no point. Some would lie/brag, some would be less than honest. A sad but sorry fact, pertaining to both.

In this instance the saving of lives is not a primary purpose - history is history. I don't want to change it - only view every detail of it.

Besides, whose to say that stopping the killer/killers, whenever crime one was committed, whatever crime one was, would stop the murders to come?

Cold hearted? No doubt, to some it will be seen that way - but I don't know you or the life you have lived and vice versa. I wonder how many have at least contemplated just watching, not touching? From reading this thread, I can say, at least a few.

OK! So I'm greedy, but hey, we all have to face the devil eventually

**Angel**

There is no such thing as right or wrong - only places to stand.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.