Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through September 19, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » Time Traveling What if » Archive through September 19, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn L Andersson
Sergeant
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyway, if one could go back in time it would be interesting to see what for example Eddowes and Kelly really looked like.

They may have been tragic figures, leading a miserable life, but Eddowes seem to have been a funny individual, especially when she was worst for drunk. The story about her drawing attention by impersonating a fire engine and therefter lay down to sleep on the street really cracked me up. Quite a character. (I know it's sad, but anyway...)

But how would we feel, really, after finally having captured ol' Jack, finding out who he was, what he looked like and the mystery was solved? A bit empty, perhaps...? What should we do next?????

All the best

Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana and Glenn

Diana, I wasn't advocating that he be given a new brain. I just think that's the kind of thing they'd do, it being the future.

Glenn, yes it would be nice to talk to the victims. I suppose they were all "unlucky" in one way or another, but Stride in particular might have been an interpreter if alive today.

And I do confess there's a part of me that would be disappointed if this mystery was ever solved.

Robert

Diana
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diana

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, you are in a unique position to research Stride.
Robert, don't take me too seriously. i just thought the whole thing incredibly funny.

Glenn L Andersson
Sergeant

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,

I know, but some quite competent researchers and authors here in Sweden already have -- at least her background seems almost fully covered. Regarding her involvement in the Ripper murders I don't think me being a swede is an advantage, on the contrary.

If one could go back in time, though, and chat with the woman, it could by all means be an interesting conversation.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 534
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana

It's OK, I know it's only a game - and an entertaining one at that. Thank you Eric (I think it was Eric) for devising such a fun thread.

Robert

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know what we could do is find out who Jack was, then show up right after the murder and say, "Jack, that wasn't nice." By the 3rd or 4th murder, he'd be freaking out trying to figure out how we know where he strikes all the time.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 542
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eric, let's use the latest craze - organise a "flash mob" of 200 people to travel back in time and assemble in Mitre Square when he's about to strike. If 200 people pointlessly chanting "potatoes" doesn't put him off, nothing will.

Robert

Glenn L Andersson
Sergeant

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

If he wasn't a lunatic to begin with, that traumatic experience would certainly confuse him and pull him over the edge.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
How about one guy goes back in time and find out where Jack lives, then we flash mob him when he comes home from the next murder and chant, "Go Jack go! Go Jack go!

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 561
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good idea Eric. We could do the whole cheerleader thing, and then demand his autograph.

We could even get him to sort of flash mob himself. Assuming he lived for a while after the last murder, we could kidnap him each night and hold him prisoner in our time machine. We'd kidnap him backwards, going back in time one night for each kidnapping, so as not to destroy his timeline. Then we could release, say, fifty Jacks into Goulston Street just at the moment that he enters it. I think it would give him a bit of a shock.

Robert

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
What would be cool is to go back and figure out who JTR was, then come back to the present without disturbing the timeline. We could then track down any descendents he has and see if they have any evidence (like body parts) in a hope chest or foot locker. We could then write a book conclusively proving who JTR was and make millions!!

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric

Yes, there won't be any trouble finding the evidence because we'll make sure we plant it - original stuff, nothing fake.

We could also introduce into Jack's family a legend, dating from Victorian times - something like "Great Grandad Jack's Buried Treasure". We would invent a code and naturally be the first to crack it. The "buried treasure" would turn out to be stuff like the bloody knife (with original blood), bits of organs, Chapman's rings etc, which we've hidden in the garden of one of his descendants. And so that modern scientists won't have any trouble comparing DNA, we'll throw in the perfectly preserved corpse of one of the victims in a lead-lined coffin. This will require a late-night visit to an 1888 cemetery, and a pair of shovels.

The whole collection could be found underneath some poor descendant's prize rose bushes.

To make the maximum money, though, we'll have to make sure Jack's famous - poor cobblers etc won't do. How about if we write down some "prophecies" -"There will be a world war in 1914, and another in 1939" etc etc, then get Jack drunk and photograph him with an 1888 camera standing in an 1888 street holding up the prophecies? Then we'll "find" the old photo of "The Spitalfields Nostradamus" a few months before we unearth the buried treasure. Book sales will be sky high.

Back in 1888 Jack will just wake up with a hangover, remember nothing, and wonder where his knife and trophy collection have got to. In 2003 we'll be smoking big cigars.

Robert

Diana
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diana

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't want to be around when you guys push him over the edge. I don't want to watch either. I do not think it is a good idea to upset him at all. Not unless he is being held down by four sumo wrestlers while being upset. Then I might go for it.

I seriously do not like the cheerleader thing. We are talking about the taking of life.

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
How about this: We get a night vision camera and go back in time and film the murders, use hidden cameras to interview the police and townspeople, etc. Then we release the film and not tell anyone it's the real deal. We'll make millions and not have to pay any actors. We could have interviews with the victims the day before they're murdered. All kinds of possibilities.

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
I love your idea! Very well thought out. Although for kicks, let's hide near the murder scenes and plant weird evidence that has nothing to do with the killings. This will confuse investigators for over a century. I say we steal the key to Mary Kelly's room, plant breath mints on Stride, etc. We can even write letters to the police. Just for kicks, let's swap the bodies of one of the victims with a recently deceased from our time. That would totally freak Jack out!!! For example, he kills Chapman, but the cops find the body of an old Chinese guy. I'd love to see Jack's face when he reads the papers!

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric

Film the murders!?! You mean 'Smile, you're on Candid Camera'?!?

Great idea to lay a false trail to make sure no one else solves the case except us. Also the old Chinese guy.

So to make the maximum money, what we need is a famous, dead old Chinese guy. I suggest we steal the body of Mao tse Tung. Then we can cash in with our book "The Mystery of Mao : Was Mad Marxist Abducted by Aliens?" or "The Little Red Book and The Little Green Men." We could go off to the future, when interplanetary travel is commonplace, bring back an alien artefact and plant it in Mao's empty tomb. It'll completely bamboozle the scientists.

And it's big cigars for us.

Robert

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
I got it. We use the time machine to catch the Zodiac Killer, then we take him to Victorian London, catch Jack and swap them out. We make sure to let them go at the right time, so they'll get caught. The Zodiac Killer gets busted for Jack's work and Jack gets busted for the Zodiac's work. No one will believe their stories of being kidnapped through time.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric

There's a sort of strange justice in that. And we kill two birds with one stone.

But perhaps after Jack's been convicted (and after he's swotted up on the history of the last 115 years) we could put him back in our time machine, and plonk him down on top of a lone iceberg in the middle of the ocean.

Anxiously he scans the horizon for a sign of salvation. Eventually his heart leaps with joy as he sees a ship on its way towards him. And then, as it gets closer, he makes out the word "Titanic"...

Robert

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
Great idea with the iceberg/Titanic plan. I was thinking maybe we could round up Jack, the Zodiac killer, the Axeman of New Orleans and all the other unknown serial killers. We put them in a caged wrestling ring with various weapons (i.e. ropes, knives, hammers, etc ) and let the last man left alive have his freedom. We could sell it on pay per view for big money!!!

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric

And with our time machine we could go back and sell it again and again!

Also, we could organize wrestling royal rumbles, and really make them royal - round up all the most unpleasant kings and emperors and make them fight it out. "Stone Cold" Caligula, "Galloping" Genghiz Khan, "Iceman" Ivan the Terrible, "Hulk" Henry VIII, "Bad Attitude" Attila the Hun.....

Robert

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, I got it! Once we find out who Jack is, we let him commit all his murders, go back and collect all his victims before he kills them, then take them into the future after he kills them for a little "reunion". Kind of like Dickens, only with living people. Jack will really have to clean his shorts after that experience.

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
Here's one more idea. We go back and kidnap JTR and bring him to the future. Then we put him in a celebrity boxing match against Martin Fido. The winner gets tv and book rights to the complete story. What do you say Martin? You up for it?

Petra Zaagman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If time traveling were possible.... if it were, I would first change some things in my own life, so will you I guess..
Maybe I would give myself a mission....
how about this idea:
we'll go back in time and catch Jack. We'll try to find out who he was, and if we know his name we'll go back to 'our time'. Then, some of us should go back to his childhood and make sure we'll get friends. A little bit love, friendship, trust and understanding are a magical spell..
If something in his life drove him crazy, let's make sure it will never happen. Why torturing Jack, kidnapping him and such, if we can make sure he'll never commit those murders?

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 772
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric, Petra

Great idea, Eric. We could have the reunion on one of those daft audience shows. We'd have a caption at the bottom of the screen - "Why did you butcher me?" - and there'd be lots of tears and hugs of reconciliation at the end.

Re the boxing, since Martin believes the Ripper was probably the "hair-raisingly" violent David Cohen, you might have a job persuading him to accept the fight!

Petra, don't worry, we don't really want to torture Jack - just shake him up a bit. For instance, we could give him a genuine free parachute training course - no strings attached.....

Robert

Petra Zaagman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hehehe....... talking about torturing people...
If I had the chance I would first torture some badgering people from my old class.. hehehe.............
you guys should make sure I won't get violent... it might be painful..
maybe it would be an idea to take Jack to our time. Take some pictures, an interwiew of 2, 3..
if he doesn't want to speak we'll turn on Bach!
No normal man could listen to that more than 5 minutes without going crazy..
(That way we can check if Jack was normal at least in some ways..)
Music of his days.... no wonder he got crazy!
I prefer techno, rock, pop, hip-hop, celtic, r&b, everything!

Besides, some people still wonder why Jack didn't go to the police. *Sigh!!!!*
Of course he didn't! If they had him, this is what would happen:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.