Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through August 06, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » General Discussion / Other Victims » Time Traveling What if » Archive through August 06, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee Martin, if you think about a theatrical
junket, you can try to catch Jack and see Mansfield in DR. JECKYLL AND MR. HYDE. As for
HENRY VIII (if it was absolutely necessary to see
a production) you can try to catch Sir Henry Irving as Cardinal Wolsey (he was supposed to be
quite good). However, in the winter of 1888, he
was putting on MACBETH, with incidental music and
an overture by Sir Arthur Sullivan. Personally,
I'd prefer to see YEOMAN OF THE GUARDS (premiere
in October 1888) to see how Gilbert wanted it to
end - does Jack Point die or not? Also, I would
try to catch what melodrama or play the unfortunate William Terriss (or the unfortunate
Arthur Dacre and his wife) were in.

And don't forget that Ibsen and Strindberg are
active at the time too!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2775
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

test
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff - if I can time travel, I'm not going to watch Irving or Mansfield, or even Ellen Terry at the Lyceum in 1888: I want to watch Burbage and Shakespeare and Robert Armin at the Globe in 1600!
All the best,
Martin F

Bob Hinton
Detective Sergeant
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it were possible you would of course have to refrain from doing anything. Let us say you prevented a murder and the victim had a child who grew up to be Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot all rolled into one, that would definitely not be welcome!

In fact the very idea of time travel would have to be outlawed as any backward travel could have horrendous repercussions. For example you materialise and start walking around, you bump into someone and apologise to them, this takes a second or so, but in that second or so that person misses bumping into a young lady who would have become his wife who would have given birth to Louis Pasteur and so on.

I think the best take on time travel was on the Simpsons, when Homer went back in time and accidentally screwed things up big time!

Bob

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree Bob. Everything would be changed.

Besides, I haven't noticed too many strange people from the future wandering around as if they didn't belong anywhere....everyone now attack the target of your choice.

Robert

Randy Scholl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"If it were possible you would of course have to refrain from doing anything. Let us say you prevented a murder and the victim had a child who grew up to be Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot all rolled into one, that would definitely not be welcome!"

My personal fantasy is a device I call the Magic Window™ which doesn't allow actual travel to the past, but only allows you to directly observe past events. This, after all, would be all that is required to find out who the Ripper was firsthand. (It also wouldn't introduce any of the traditional time-travel paradoxes)

The only real problem with such a device is that it would in effect destroy our privacy, particularly if it fell into the wrong hands, such as a peeping tom or any modern government.

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Randy

How could you do this without intercepting photons from the past?

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 415
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric

Actually posted July 14 4003

I can give you one tip : put all you've got on the Pope to join Metallica later this year.

Regards
Zog

Randy Scholl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert Charles Linford asks:
"Hi Randy

How could you do this without intercepting photons from the past?

Robert"

As I said, my idea is admittedly a fantasy. But I'm definitely not saying we'd need to "go back" and interfere with the photons, which would of course effect a minute change in the past which could potentially cause the very same paradoxes referred to earlier.

Rather, the idea is more along the lines of the premise that all events of the past leave traces which last into the present, and if we could tap into this somehow (don't ask me how) it's conceivable that we'd theoretically be able to "see" events exactly as they happened. I know, it's very vague, but remember I did use the word "magic" to describe it.

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok folks, let's forget about the photons. Let's say we capture ol' Jack after the Miller's Court murder. Do we interrogate him for scientific study to find out why he did what he did, or do we torture him and turn him over to the police?

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am not an advocate of torture personally!
jp

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 510
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK Jennifer, but will you at least let us force him to listen to Barbara Streisand CDs?

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

he might like it as it would be unlike anything else he'd heard!
jp

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I say we make him listen to rap music until he confesses.

Diana
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diana

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The real issue is capturing him. I do not have a black belt. Nor is my skin impermiable. Remember we would be dealing with a knife weilding maniac. I am also a middle aged woman (albeit in a respectable mode of earning my living and not an alcoholic) but nonetheless I cannot see myself wandering up to him and saying "come along now, the games up, Ive caught you." I have no desire to be sushi.

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still -- there are such things as mace, stun guns or pepper spray -- hmm.

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Super Glue?

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the 60s series "The Prisoner" a man attired as an undertaker walks up to Patrick McGoohan's door and uses a specially modified umbrella to squirt gas through the keyhole, thus rendering him unconscious. We could do that at Number 13.

Robert

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great idea! What other creative methods could there be?

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An armed band of elite troops with automatic weapons is my personal favorite for getting JTR to "cooperate". They could capture him and take him to our time. He could work for casebook.org correcting all the little details that have been messed up over the years and filling in the holes of information we've got.

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yup, and he could live in Spryder's house. That is if Spryder would agree. Ally might find it a tad uncomfortable and I definitely would not let him out at night. Alternatively we could bundle him off to the nearest police station and announce that we had caught JTR at which time they would look at us funny and lock us all up for kidnapping or some such thing. Come to think of it, even if time travel was possible, and capturing him was possible, you are then confronted with what can you legally do once you've got him! Would it be legal to keep him in a drugged stupor? I doubt it. Could he be charged with anything in 2003 without proof? I doubt it. Our legal system was not designed to accomodate criminals transported to the 21st century from the 19th century. All the evidence has been lost. You go into a courtroom and announce that you took a time machine back to 1888 and watched him slaughter Kelly and you will be packed off to the nearest loony bin. At which time he will be patted on the head by the judge and turned loose, free to do whatever he wants. After about 18 months and 27 more killings the police might catch him, then again, they might not. Ohhhhh NO! Be careful what you wish for!

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 527
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric, Diana

What we should do is take him into the future to be tried. There, they would understand all about time travel. They would check our facts, find him guilty...then give him a new brain, a new identity and a new time period...he could be amongst us now...

Robert

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If they gave him a new brain it wouldn't be him. What would you do with the old one? Would sending it to the recycle bin be murder? The more we get into this the bigger a mess it gets to be!

Glenn L Andersson
Sergeant
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert, Diana & Co.,

"he could be amongst us now..."

God forbide. I think I'll pass, thank you.
New brain or not...

After a full statement has been given, how about this primitive solution: ?
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Diana
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And another thing. What about the vic's descendants. How are they going to feel bout having a rebrained Jack walking around? Not very nice to have your great great great mouldering in the ground while her killer gets recycled for a second chance!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.