Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Should Registration Be Mandatory? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » Should Registration Be Mandatory? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 20, 2004Kris Law25 2-20-04  4:58 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Park
Police Constable
Username: Johnnycannuk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Kris.

One of the things that got me off my arse to join was actually being able to have interactions with other board members as an unregistered guest. Sort of a try before you buy scenario.

Had I not had that opportunity, I'm not sure I would have joined based solely on content of the site and the other posts. This site is more than a repository of knowledge, it is a community. And as a community, there should be an easy method of entry that is interactive (the way it is now).

As for hoax posts - Caveat Emptor. Any post should be treated as any other "new" evidence - whether it's a letter, a diary or a photo - with a great deal of scrutiny and scepticism.

But then, I have joined since the hoaxes...

Mike

PS. Notice the posting number ;-)

Michael Raney
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,
I never meant to imply that donating money was simple for anyone. All I meant was that it's simple to register. It only costs the price of a postage stamp. As far as the donation, hey, if you can't donate. don't. That is "no big deal". It's just that it costs stephen money to run this website.
Mikey

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So tell me more about this new icon contributor and what it means. what does the money go to doing, is it only money? When I say that it is that I have looked at the link and do not understand it.
Jennifer D. Pegg

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh..it's fairly straight forward. People who have the icon have either contributed money or time to the website. Money is paper or coined currency that has recognized value being issued by a nation, time is contributions to content on the website such as the late Viper who organized the Press Project, typing up relevant newspaper articles from the time and Chris Scott who is currently doing the same. The time contribution adds to the value of the Casebook by increasing the amount of information available here and the money contribution helps defray the cost of running a website.

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Ally,

Thanks for the slightly sarcastic reply to Jennifer. Perhaps you would now like to tell us how to get the money to Stephen. What's the postal address, what amount you would suggest and in which currency (that is: would he accept a Stirling cheque)? That's if it's not too much bother for you of course.

Cheers, Mark (actually I love the sarcasm Ally)

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My job is the sarcasm, money matters are entirely Stephen's.

I know there is a PO Box number for sending cash but for whatever reason, it's not actually listed on the Casebook under funding and donations. It is the same PO Box Number that registration letters go to.

I would never suggest a money amount because I don't know what each person's individual abilities are. If you can only afford a buck and want to send it, it's appreciated. If you can afford a million bucks, my phone number is...

Just kidding.

Anyhoo. If Stephen can't be arsed to put up the PO Box number in the funding and donations portion of the Casebook, I say why waste your time sending him anything. Under About the Casebook: Funding and Donations there is the option of Pay Pal for anyone who uses that.

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oooooooh Magic! The Po Box address is now listed under About the Casebook: Funding and Donations.

Here it is:

Casebook: Jack the Ripper
PO BOX 3593
Warrenton, VA 20188
U.S.A.

Chris Michetti
Police Constable
Username: Pl4tinum

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used paypal to make my donation to the Casebook. It was very quick and easy to do. I would definitely reccommend this to anyone wishing to make a donation to this site. I would post Stephen's paypal address here but I will leave that to him, if he so wishes.

(Message edited by pl4tinum on February 22, 2004)
Chris Michetti

Meganb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have to be a certain age to register?

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 765
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Meganb,
I should have imagined, it was beyond the parent guardian stage, we discuss some rather gruesome points on this site.
Richard.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.