Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through February 20, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » Should Registration Be Mandatory? » Archive through February 20, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen --

In light of the recent Abberline photo hoax by an unregistered poster, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to require all posters to register. Someone would be very unlikely to bother with sending you a registration letter through the post in order to pose as a phoney poster.

I'm not really too angry about the recent hoax. Such things exercise our investigative skills. Yet we are all too busy in our real jobs, etc. to waste our time with hoaxes.

After all, registering is free (but for a postage stamp). It would also free you from having to review posts from unregistered posters.

Thanks for keeping this site going!

Andy S.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2882
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andrew -

Its a tough call. Although the current policy leaves the door open for hoaxes such as these, it may also put off from posting someone who did have something genuine to share.

I'm open to suggestions - if the prevailing sentiment is that mandatory registration is the way to go, then I bow to the majority.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Donald Souden
Sergeant
Username: Supe

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

Overall, I would favor regisration for all posters, but perhaps you could have one reviewed posting area for those with genuine inquiries or those seeking research help. I always like to help those new to game, so I wouldn't want to raise the bar so high that newcomers would be daunted. And, just a single posting area would (I hope) cut down significantly on your work load.

Don.

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Andy and Stephen

I see where Andy's coming from, but only one person has really abused the unregistered posting privelige. What if someone with something really worthwhile to say, like an Eddowes descendant, got a wild hair to drop in, then decided not to because posting policy was too strict? I'd hate not to hear from someone like that.

So since opinions have been asked for, I say let the unregistered in. If it got too over the top, Stephen can always change his mind later. For now the current policy seems to be working and having more participation on the boards is worth a couple of hoaxes (which really didn't last long).

Dave

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

Good point. It's not really "strictness" but inconvenience in having to wait for your letter to get to Stephen (especially form overseas) and for him to e-mail you with your account info that might put genuine posters off.

OTOH, they can always e-mail Stephen if they have something significant to offer. Many of the rest of us have also made our e-mail addresses available.

Andy S.

(Message edited by Aspallek on November 15, 2003)

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leave the system as is. The hoaxes that are offered to us for our perusal do remind us not to blindly accept things, but to question and investigate.

Challenges like these keep us on our toes!

Bob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And they give us a faint taste of what the police of the day had to put up with.

Robert

Severn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think too that you need a little time to decide whether or not to register.At first it can look as though everyone who uses the site has a lot more information and knowledge than you but you soon realise that although a good number do you are not alone in being less informed so yes I think for the sake of never having a hoaxer on board its not worth changing.
I must say it becomes an inconvenience eventually not to be registered having to wait around while people have already moved on.I have posted my letter to register now and will be glad when Stephen gets it.Natalie.

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The unregistered posters policy prevents a certain amount of discord on the message boards, I think. Stephen has the opportunity of simply not posting anything he deems questionable. As a matter of fact, we might be better off with NO registered posters at all.

Saddam

Billy Markland
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew, you said it guy. As the proud holder to the title of, "The World's Best Procrastinator", I would absolutely hate to be forced to go to the blessed post office!!

Actually, I exchanged emails with Stephen the other day on this very subject.

Jimminy, I feel almost APish

I really do need to send in the registration but... haste makes waste, etc.

Tongue firmly in cheek, maybe!

Billy

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Bob Hinton. "Challenges like these keep us on our toes!"

Beware of unregistered guests bearing gifts.

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All

So far I can only see one person who has abused the system and their behavior was quickly exposed. I went out of town for a few days and when I came back the matter had been quickly dealt with. If a suspicious series of posts can be traced I don't see the need for drastic action.

If it becomes an on going problem, I believe that would be the time to act.

I must admit that I found the Kate Kenny post(i.e. was this MJK's real name) in August to be promising. Obviously some planning went into this hoax. This does not sound like the casual hoaxer.

I wil defer to the majority opinion.

All The Best
Gary

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 254
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Billy,

This may come as a surprise to you, but you don't have to go to the post office to mail a letter. Put it in your mailbox and the postman will pick it up for you!!!

Andy S.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,
i think i've missed something here but never mind that!
before you buy say a cd you've probably heard some songs on it or previous songs to know its any good, unregistered posters are just having a look in before they decide if its all worth bothering with aren;t they?
jennifer

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 411
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Guys,
It is my opinion, that any genuine enthusiast should register, surely it is worth the effort,I am not ashamed to give my real name and E,Mail address to Stephen, I find the casebook,an extremely, enlightening experience, and I for one am proud to be included in the quest to discuss this case, having spent nearly forty years very much involved[ sad life]in at least trying to sort out this puzzle.
So Register folks, be part of the squad, that at the very least, and I hope I speak for the vast majority, is dedicated to its future.
Regards Richard.

Billy Markland
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew!!

What? The postman PICKS up letters?!!

Gracious, will miracles never cease? What wonders this 20th century have wrought!

Best of wishes,

Billy

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen:

I think I speak for the staff of Ripperologist when I say we wish to encourage people to come forward with new material. If registration makes it more difficult for people to access the site to provide such potentially important information, we would be defeating one of the main objects of this site, to encourage the dissemination of new information on the case. So I say, still allow unregistered posts.

All the best

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I think I speak for the staff of Ripperologist when I say we wish to encourage people to come forward with new material."

>>New material makes great copy, by all means. But it can't solve the case. That requires a new perspective on the same old same old.

Saddam

Sarah Long
Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The whole mailing of the registration form was the thing that put me off first of all but then I forced myself to finally do it. If I could have registered by e-mail I would have done it straight away. Wouldn't it be easier to be able to register by e-mail and a lot quicker, especially for us overseas.

Sarah

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

I think that's the point. Registering by mail takes a much greater effort, therefore only those who are seriously interested in the case will bother to do it.

Andy S.

Joseph Paul Jackson
Police Constable
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew,

I agree with you 100%. This is the only website i Know of that you have to mail in your registration. But, If you are really interested in the case and want to be a part of it....its not a big deal. Its a good idea.

Paul

Michael Raney
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks,

This site is BETTER than most simply because we now must register by post as opposed to email. For what it's worth, I think the site should remain as is, but anyone who posts more than a few times should register. It's not that hard, nor is it expensive. Oh, and by the way, if you register, send Stephen a 10 spot just to help defray expenses. Ok, I said my piece now I will shut up.

Mikey

Peter Sipka
Police Constable
Username: Peter

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Michael,

I'm really confused here. You are talking like posting and donating money is simple.

Yes, it may be for you, but it may be extremely different for others. You had another post claiming that donating money is not "such a big deal." Like I said before, it may not be for you, but for others.

Anyway, how does it hurt any of us when there is a non-registered member posting more than a few times? I don't understand.

Peter

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
When I first started checking these threads out I posted as an unregistered guest, thinking to myself: no way am i going to truck my can down to the mailbox and mail off a form just to blab on a message board. But, two weeks later I was licking a stamp, filling out my form and trucking my can down to the mailbox.

If someone really wants to converse with us on here they will register.

But, the whole hoax thing happened before I started on here, and I read about it in the new Ripperologist, and was intrigued. What exactly happened?

Or should I start a new thread elsewhere so as not to get off-topic. Or, is this on-topic?

K

Chris Michetti
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agreed, I just sent my application in. But I also think allowing people to post before registering is crucial. I would probably never have bothered had I not gotten into some discussions before registration.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.