Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 18, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook popular suspect list » Archive through November 18, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 6:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

so I was looking at the list as it stands now and dispairing (for obvious reasons #1 need I say more!), when something occurred to me. Yes - something actually occurred to me. What an odd bunch of people right?

I mean yes James Maybrick is number one and is about as credible as blah blah (this is for another thread!!) but number two is Tumblety, fairy credible, no? And Barnett, this surprises me (unless everyone who voted for him did it 39 times, sorry Richard couldn't resist!)because I wouldnt have called him a well known public suspect.

I mean ...odd no?

1. Maybrick, James
2. Tumblety, Francis
3. Barnett, Joseph
4. Chapman, George
5. Kosminski, Aaron
6. Thompson, Francis
7. Lodger, The
8. Royal Conspiracy, The
9. Druitt, Montague John
10. Bury, W.H.
11. Jill the Ripper
12. Hutchinson, George (Br.)
13. Ostrog, Michael
14. Stephenson, R. D'Onston
15. Sickert Walter
16. Kelly, James
17. Cream, Dr. Thomas Neill
18. Stephen, James Kenneth
19. Albert Victor, Prince
20. Pedachenko, Dr.
21. Deeming, Frederick Bailey
22. Carroll, Lewis

its a mixtutre of fairly credibles and crazy madness!

Jenni

"I wanna really really really wanna zigazig ah"

Olivier P.M.G. Donni
Sergeant
Username: Olivier

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 6:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And Chapman is fourth. I suppose that Glenn will appreciate. :-)

Olivier

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2576
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 9:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Jenni (and Olivier :-) )
it's really a sad read. There is really not much left to say.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Robert W. House
Inspector
Username: Robhouse

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am glad to see my man is at #5... dark horse in the running. I have been of the opinion that the Suspects page could use some revising. I mean, we (read: Stephen) could maybe add Cutbush and LaBruckman, no?

I realize this is more work...

RH

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2579
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

I believe Stephen has previously advertised that he is most grateful for any kind of assistance he can get. So any of you who feel you want to contribute with a written section about a particular suspect, contact him about this. I once did the piece about Cohen, and I believe there is a lot more suspects to cover or information regarding old ones that needs to be updated.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where's Unknown Local Guy, my odds-on favorite??
Mags

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always felt that if there is a list then he will not be on it.
So young Thomas is looking good right now.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I mean who is voting, one part of me thinks James Maybrick #1 not regular frequenters of these baords! I mean experience tells me no regular frequenters of these boards think that!

So it must be members of the random public, right? In which case there are some interesting descrpencies, no. Wlater Sickert, #15, that's a lot lower than i would have thought given the Cornwell effect. i mean cornwells, not Feldy's or Shirley's is the last popular book on the subject - do the general public think, like the majoprity on these boards that the Sickert thepry as popularised by Cornwell is unconvincing?

Equally, i doubt they have voted for joesph barnett.

See what i am getting at?

Jenni

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2585
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Jenni,

I see what you mean. It's puzzling.
And one thinks indeed that the Cornwell effect should have influenced the ratings more than it seems to have done.
Another strange thing is that Jill the Ripper is on #11, ABOVE George Hutchinson... what the heck is that all about...?

All the best
G, sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Maria Giordano
Inspector

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 2:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a grand old tradition in the city where I live called stuffing the ballot box. Even dead people vote. On the day before an election we greet each other with "Don't forget to vote early--and often!"

Consider the source.
Mags

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really find it totally fasinating in a weird way.

and to see Bury so high up is also surprising.

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure looks like the vote tallying folks from Florida,circa 2000,were in charge of this voting..

An unnamed suspect { Jill The Ripper...an invented moniker to add salt to the wound...} above Sickert,Stephenson { sniff..} !!! No Cohen !!! Oy Vey !

Its more likely that many people who visit the site simply drop in their vote and then split.

D'onston at 14th !?!.......say it ain't so !

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 459
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 6:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember back when Sickert was at the top. I think the people trying to stuff the box on that one gave up after a while because of the backlash.

I'm glad that Lewis Carroll is at the bottom, at least. It's nice that Ripperologists, the general public, and the ballot-stuffing sockpuppet monkeys all agree he can't be taken seriously. Of course he's rated even worse than a fictional character, which is amusing...
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Olivier P.M.G. Donni
Sergeant
Username: Olivier

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 7:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I suggest to remove Lewis Caroll from the list of suspects?

Olivier

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 389
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey gang,

Let's put it in perspective -- it's a popularity contest, one of those polls with questions like "Which do you prefer, vanilla or a punch in the nose?" that always carry the disclaimer "Note: Unlike Copernicus, this is not a scientific poll."

Rather than worry about the rankings it might be more fun to ponder the why of those rankings. You know: was there a heavy turnout in Liverpool to put James on top; Tumblety? Heavy backing from the Gay - Moustache Wax Makers Alliance?; and maybe a lot of absentee ballots from Australia to put Barnett in third place?

And I would certainly vote to retain Lewis Carroll if only because he should serve as a caution that we ought never take our own pet theories too seriously if a case (however implausible) can be made for him.

I'm not suggesting we turn our studies into farce, but if it ever stops being fun we have the wrong hobby.

Don.
"There were only three times I'd have sold my mother into slavery for a cell phone . . . and two of those would have been crank calls."

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don,

that is exactly what i mean!

Jenni

AIP
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, but who is voting for these suspects? Experts on the case? People with a full knowledge of the facts about each suspect?

No, the simple answer is this voting is based on personal opinion and preferences and has nothing whatsoever to do with reality. All pretty pointless then, and very misleading to those who believe that the 'voters' know what they are voting about.

Maria Giordano
Inspector

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, December 31, 2004 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Expect a sudden upswing in the Royal Conspiracy column!
Mags

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Let's try and do something a little different - Let's recreate the list of 22 suspects to show our own personal lists of who we think is most likely to least likely.

(And yes! I am extremely happy to see Chapman still in 4th! He was 2nd at one point!)

OK, here goes:

1.) George Chapman
2.) Francis Tumblety
3.) The Lodger (Tumblety again?)
4.) Montague Druitt
5.) Aaron Kosminski
6.) Francis Thompson
7.) W.H. Bury
8.) Joseph Barnett
9.) Roslyn D'Onston Stephenson
10.) Frederick Deeming
11.) George Hutchinson
12.) James Kelly
13.) Michael Ostrog
14.) James Maybrick
15.) James Kenneth Stephen
16.) Dr. Pedachenko
17.) Walter Sickert
18.) Thomas Neill Cream
19.) The Royal Conspiracy
20.) Prince Albert Victor
21.) Jill the Ripper
22.) Lewis Carroll

Now, what does everyone else have for a list??

Regards,
Adam.

The Wenty-icator!

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2629
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam and Happy New Year!
I am off to bed now in a minute (with Paul Begg's book), but I'll jump at this as well.

Are you sure you and Peter Sipka isn't one and the same????
I mean, he had Chapman as No 1 and Tumblety as No 2 as well!

I like the Lodger, but I don't think there are any evidence or even clear signs of that he was identical with Tumblety.

We have other lists on these Boards already, although not this extensive. But I'll have a shot at it.

1) Unnamed, unknown local man, possibly lower middle class or working class, paranoid schizofrenic (former butcher, doctor, sailor on cattleboat?)
2) The Lodger
3) Jacob Levy
4) W.H. Bury
5) Aaron Kosminski/David Cohen etc.
6) Montague Druitt
7) George Hutchinson
8) James Kelly
9) Fogelma
10) Francis Tumblety
11) Cutbush
12) Francis Thompson
13) George Chapman (Klosowski)
14) Frederick Deeming
15) Joseph Barnett
16) James Maybrick
17) Michael Ostrog
18) Roslyn D'Onston Stephenson
19) James Kenneth Stephen
20) Walter Sickert
21) Dr. Pedachenko
22) The Royal Conspiracy

The rest -- Prince Albert Victor, Lewis Carroll and Jill the Ripper -- are so wacko that they deserve not to be on any list...

NOTE: This list will probably be outdated and subject to change next week... :-)

All the best
G, Sweden

(Message edited by Glenna on January 01, 2005)
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 3:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Glenn,

How are you mate? (As we would say here in Oz.)

Happy new year to you!

"Are you sure you and Peter Sipka isn't one and the same????
I mean, he had Chapman as No 1 and Tumblety as No 2 as well!
"

HAHA...No Glenn, not at all.
It's just a simple matter of G.M.T.A:
Great Minds Think Alike.

Which Paul Begg book are you reading? (There's a few of them!)

By the way, I'm pleased to see that you have upgraded Chapman/Klosowski from a "Ridiculous" level to #13 out of 22. It's almost half way! Perhaps I have influenced you, eh?

Regards,
Adam.

The Wenty-icator!

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1549
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well some poeple on that list do have alibis

like thomas cream

(and Walter Sickert, I hope stan ain't reading this!!)

Jenni

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2632
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Jenni.
Cream did have alibi, and that is why he isn't even on my list.

Regarding Sickert's, I believe that is still so much under debate (although I personally believe he HAD an alibi) that I find it problematic to put him in the same league regarding this.

Adam,

I am reading Paul Begg's new one, the updated 2004 version of The Uncensored Facts (now called The Facts).

"Great Minds Think Alike."

I'll tell him that. :-)

All the best
G, Sweden

"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 3:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Glenn, you wrote:

"Cream did have alibi, and that is why he isn't even on my list."

He wouldn't have been on my list either, only that I was re-creating the list of the suspects only in the poll. If we're going by our own suspects, I'd knock Pedachenko out too - David Cohen would get about #3 or #4, and Jacob Levy probably #8. But with regards to the list that this topic revolves around, that is how I would list the suspects.

"I am reading Paul Begg's new one, the updated 2004 version of The Uncensored Facts (now called The Facts)."

Ah yes, I remember seeing the thumbnail for that on this site's bookshop/"Ripper media" part. It looks good, but I'm going to wait for my copy of the A-Z to get in, and read it, before I start digging into any others.

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 706
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 4:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This should possibly be on the "Changing Our Minds" thread but anyway...

When I first came to these boards Cohen would have been top of my list. I found both Martin Fido's and John Douglas's arguments in favour of his candidacy persuasive. But in the intervening time I have realised that they have no basis in logic. Cohen would therefore now be way down the list.

The reason is this. There is, when you think about it, only one reason for suspecting Cohen, and that is if you agree with Fido's theory that he was in fact the man referred to as Kosminski by Donald Swanson. However Cohen was committed in December 1888, and therefore if you accept this theory then the events in the Seaside Home had to have happened in that month.

However, in his footnote, Anderson states that he is only working from second hand knowledge when he dismisses Alice McKenzie as a Ripper victim. Now if the events at the Seaside Home had occurred in December 1888, then by the time McKenzie was murdered, as far as Anderson would have been concerned the Ripper would already have been under lock and key, it would never have entered his head that she might be a Ripper victim.

Thus, Cohen cannot have been the man referred to by Swanson, and the only remaining evidence against him is that he was a bit doolally and was committed at about the right time, which just isn't enough.
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2655
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan,

I agree, I started out in the Ripper field with the same strong belief in Fido's theory, but as you say (although it can't be ruled out altogether) but I wouldn't say that it is not based on logic. Fact is that the theory is very logical, but from a very theoretical and academic point -- which in itself is the real problem with it (another problem -- on the other hand a bit illogical -- would be that David Cohen seems to be too much of a sick, rambling idiot than the Ripper would have been in order to be able to carry out the murders, regardless of "his mind giving in at Miller's Court" or not).
Today, like you, I would say that there are no real basis for the Nathan Kaminsky/Cohen confusion; it is all merely circumstancial.
And that is also why I pack this David Cohen thing in the same bundle as Kosminski or any similar lunatic. With this I mean: Kosminski, Cohen or someone similar. That is, a more or less disorganized lunatic.
And that is because I find this idea as a whole credible for a Ripper suspect.

Adam,

"Ah yes, I remember seeing the thumbnail for that on this site's bookshop/"Ripper media" part. It looks good, but I'm going to wait for my copy of the A-Z to get in, and read it, before I start digging into any others."

I think that's a good idea. I don't know how it is now, but when I wanted to get it, it was totally impossible to get hold of and it hadn't been reprinted. So I never had access to the A--Z until early 2004, when it was given to me, and that was an old or original edition.
But a serious scholar, I believe, should have the A--Z, although at least the original version contained some minor errors.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Sam Robertson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day all,

I am a 23 year old Australian who has taken an interest in Ripperology over the past year.
Although my opinion should be given considerably less weight than other seasoned Ripper experts for what its worth i feel that there is a hell of a lot of uninformed, presumptious writing out there on the subject and that one should be very careful with what they read/choose to believe about the case.

Feldman and Cornwell in particular have had me baffled with their arguments for Maybrick and Sickert respectively with their distinct lack of respect for historical fact and basic logic. Paul Begg seems to be the pick of the bunch in my opinion.

Regardless, i have my theories about the case, however i look forward to hearing more from all of you guys before posting with any level of confidence about my suspect list.

Cheers,

Sam

Sam Robertson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day all,

I am a 23 year old Australian who has taken an interest in Ripperology over the past year.
Although my opinion should be given considerably less weight than other seasoned Ripper experts for what its worth i feel that there is a hell of a lot of uninformed, presumptious writing out there on the subject and that one should be very careful with what they read/choose to believe about the case.

Feldman and Cornwell in particular have had me baffled with their arguments for Maybrick and Sickert respectively with their distinct lack of respect for historical fact and basic logic. Paul Begg seems to be the pick of the bunch in my opinion.

Regardless, i have my theories about the case, however i look forward to hearing more from all of you guys before posting with any level of confidence about my suspect list.

Cheers,

Sam

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3752
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sam

Yes, Paul Begg is extremely good.

Why not register, and then just dive in.

Robert

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 9:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sam,

Welcome to the boards. As Robert says, please register and jump in, mate.

I agree with you about Feldman (almost called him Feldy there) and Cornwell. They leave me baffled too. Paul Begg is indeed a good author (commission, please, Paul..) but have you read Sugden? That's a good one to start with. And of course, Rumbelow.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you. Jump in and I hope you'll feel at home here.

Bestest,

Lyn

SirRobertAnderson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Hi,
I mean who is voting, one part of me thinks James Maybrick #1 not regular frequenters of these baords! I mean experience tells me no regular frequenters of these boards think that! "

Jennifer - it means one of two things to me.

1) The content of the message boards on Maybrick aren't doing a very good job of persuading folks to cast a skeptical eye towards Sir Jim. I'm at best a Watch Agnostic, and he wouldn't make my top ten, but it looks to me that visitors must find little on the threads to change their minds, because I don't see many posters arguing that Maybrick was definitely the Ripper. Lots of carpet bombing against, little for.

and/or

2) The subset of the general public that cares enough to find this web site, and then bother to vote, reads the boards but are too intimidated to post their dissent from the prevailing "politically correct" views espoused here.

Either way, we have met the enemy, and he is us.

Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it's not me voting for Maybrick. That's for sure! Nor Lewis Carroll.

Bestest,

Lyn

(Message edited by lindsey on January 03, 2005)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 6:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir robert,

indeed you are probably right!

Jenni

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn!
MUST print this out so that i can put my two farthings worth in but having a quick look here....would shift GH up to No 2 (as an extension of No 1)and then would have to have another look at Mr Chapman....will print it out and have a look tomorrow

suzi

sUZI

Jfripper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Still waiting for my membership approval, so this may be a tad late:

Here is my Suspect list.
It is short because to me these are the most viable suspects.

1.) W.H. Bury
2.) Aaron Kosminski
3.) Local Man (totally unknown to us)
4.) Thomas Cutbush
5.) James Kelly
6.) Roslyn D'Onston Stephenson
7.) Jacob Levy
8.) Joseph Barnett
9.) George Hutchinson

Cheers

Michael (DownUnder)

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2722
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good choices, Michael!
At at least as far as your Top Five is concerned -- they all deserve their spots, as I see it.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 4:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

It gives me gigantic pleasure to announce 2 things (updates) regarding the suspects poll:

George Chapman has, quite rightfully, passed Joseph Barnett on the board, which launches Chapman back into 3rd position, and Barnett drops to 4th.

Second, James Maybrick is going to be knocked off his long-standing 1st place high-horse very soon, Francis Tumblety is gaining on him quite fast, and there isn't too much in it.

Very good news for the poll! Quite pleasing!

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. Unknown Male
2. George Hutchinson
3. Nathan Kaminsky (David Cohen)
4. W.H. Bury
5. Joseph Barnett
6. Aaron Kosminski
7. Monty Druitt
8. James Kelly
9. Dr Roslyn D'onston
10. "Dr" Francis J. Tumblety

I don't put much stock in the last few, I just went to Tumblety because he's my favourite character from the whole case.

Melissa Turcios
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MY LIST:
1.) Unknown Local Man
2.) The Lodger
3.) Severin Klosowski (George Chapman)
4.) Dr. Francis Tumblety
5.) Joseph Barnett
6.) W.H Bury
7.) Jacob Levy
8.) Francis Thompson
9.) Thomas Neill Cream (It would be so much tidier if he wasn’t imprisoned in Illinois)
10.) George Hutchinson
11.) R. D’Onston Stevenson
12.) Micheal Ostrog
13.) Aaron Kosminski
14.) James Kelly
15.) James Kenneth Stephen
16.) James Maybrick
17.) Walter Sickert
18.) Montague Druitt
19.) Jill the Ripper
20.) Frederick Deeming
21.) Dr. Pedachenko
22.) Dr. William Gull
23.) Prince Albert Victor
24.) Lewis Carroll

I seriously don't understand why Druitt is in the uppermost group of most lists. Honestly, what do you guys see in his candidacy that I'm just not seeing?

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Of course, the catch-all "Unknown" would be my #1 but I'd prefer to take a real position. Here's my list and it's short because I don't really see that many who are truly worthy.

1-William Hardiman
2-W.H. Bury
3-M.J. Druitt
4-Aaron Kosminski
5-George Chapman

None would be even money but perhaps this group against the rest of the field they might be.

Best wishes,

Stan

Eddie Derrico
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eddie

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's my list. It's also very short. Can't tell you why right now. I'm waiting for some e mail replies. If I get the green light to post some info, a few more people will put Sir James at the top.

1. James Maybrick

Yours Truly,

Eddie

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 7:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW Eddie, that list is so short, it isn't even a list!

Stan

AAD
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's amazing that people are still being taken in by the Maybrick as the Ripper tripe.

Eddie Derrico
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello AAD

Stay tuned in to the boards. More proof will be coming out that Shirley Harrison was right.

Yours Truly,

Eddie

Eddie Derrico
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 1:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Stan

Hang in there !! Time Reveals All !

Yours Truly,

Eddie

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm waiting and by this time tomorrow I will no longer be waiting.

Dan Norder
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eddie,

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but for "more proof" to come out, wouldn't there already have to be some proof in the first place?
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Eddie Derrico
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan, AAD

It's like searching for arrowheads.(My Wife taught me about this). You have to know what you're looking for. Anything that doesn't look natural usually isn't. Not all the time. But most of the time.
Most Serial Killers leave messages that have to be found. They are right in front of you, but you can't see the messages unless you look very close. Look for unatural marks. For example, evenly spaced marks that look like writing or letters. Here's a little hint. A lot of serial killers wrote backwards, up and down, even upside down. Look real hard and you will find something. But....like I said....You must know what to look for. Good Luck.

Yours Truly,

Eddie

Eddie Derrico
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Dan

Yes you're right. Shirley Harrison showed us Possible Proof that James Maybrick is Jack the Ripper. But 2 Initials could be a coincidence, of course. And I agree with that. But to prove this is no coincidence, one would have to look a little deeper. Investigate much further. I said in a post a few days ago that Jack the Ripper was a Serial Killer way ahead of his time.
Think of some of the Serial Killers of modern times. Some left bundles of messages. Not just one. As if, deep inside, they wanted to be caught. The messages are there. All over the place. Just like the author of the Diary stated. You must know where and how to look. Good Luck, Dan.

Yours Truly,

Eddie

Phil Hill
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Phil

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 1:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the Diary crowd it's always "jam tomorrow"!! At least you have to give them the prize for perpetual optimism. that must be something given they have nothing else.

How anyone can continue to believe in a so-called "diary" that tells us ABSOLUTELY NOTHING we didn't know before it was produced, has added nothing to the case, and was apparently based on only published sources, is beyond me.

Phil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.