Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through June 19, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » * I need your help!* » Archive through June 19, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steven
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everybody, I got to work out a skilled work for gettin' my A-Level and my assignment is to compare 2 committers, my problem is to find out who'd be the best two persons to compare.
I'd be very appreciative for getting some informations by you. It'd be also great to write why u think person A is the ripper or why person B is the ripper.
Please send your contributions to st_laux@hotmail.com

thanks for your attention and I hope to hear from you soon

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Stephen,

What's a 'committer'? If you mean a committer of a crime/murder, why don't you compare Peter Sutcliff, (The 'Yorkshire Ripper'), and 'Jack the Ripper', (as an unknown identity, based on what the police knew)?

I wrote a story about the Yorkshire Ripper for a Periodical, shown here on Casebook. Hang-on and I'll try to locate it for you!

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Stephen,

Oh well, it was in Issue 6 of Ripperoo, but is not available to read here on Casebook. If you deside to write about the 'Yorkshire Ripper', let me know and I'll dig up the story and send it to you.

Otherwise look him up on the Web, and work out the comparisons yourself!

LEANNE

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

It sounds to me like he means to two suspects for the ripper as he says that It'd be also great to write why u think person A is the ripper or why person B is the ripper.

That's my view anyway.

Steven,

There are so many to chose from but some good suspects would be Joe Barnett (in some of our opinions), Tumblety, Druitt (possibly), La Bruckman.

You should maybe stay away from James Maybrick and Walter Sickert though as I don't believe there is enough evidence against these people apart from a diary which is probably a hoax (Maybrick) and some very dodgy evidence given by one Patsy Cornwall (Sickert).

Sarah

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 9:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TESTING, ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR.

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

Whatever you are testing it seems to be there. Are you back? Good, missed you.

Don.

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 1:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Don,

Yes mate I'm back, so watch out!

I am at my boyfriends house at the moment using his computer, and wondered if I could post something using my password, from another computer. Now that I know I can, I will post more often.

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 3:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne, good to see you back. You didn't go to that cannibal island again, did you?

Robert

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 641
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 4:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne,Yes great to see you back!
Natalie

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 8:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Robert,

Well, as a matter of fact, the captain told us that one of the small islands we stopped at, (Walla), was a canabalistic place up until the nineteenth century. Now the natives are extremely friendly!

LEANNE

Maelstrom
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi leanne, It seems you are looking to find out if your post go world wide So hi from Ct.

Connecticut USA

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maelstrom;
If I had to pick the two most likely I would pick David Cohen and Francis Tumblety. Just my humble opinion and I can be wrong far more often than I care to admit. Good luck and good hunting from Syracuse, New York. Neil

Shelley Wiltshire
Detective Sergeant
Username: Shelley

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 7:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maelstrom,
The 2 suspects i'd pick would be 1 Peter Sutcliffe and 2 Albert De Salvo (supposedly the Boston Strangler), these 2 characters are a closer profile to the JTR killings and more meaty to deal with the crime in particular, considering the psychological, social aspects of these 2 killers. Stay clear of the likes of Dr Cream, Tumblety, Barnett etc (no way do they even come close at a distance of 100 miles of the ripper killings). This is my opinion but i am also a Criminology Student and read proffessional books.
Good Luck, All the Best
Shelley
Criminology Student

Jack the Reaper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 4:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steven,

I sedgest you not use Thomas Neil Cream. There is no posibule way he can be Dear Jack.

Jack le Mietitore

Katherine Schneider
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 8:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Folks!

This is the first time I've ventured into the message boards here....seems like a very thoughtful group. :-)

I recently came across an entry in my personal casebook (yes, I'm THAT obsessed) that made me stand up and take notice. Could anyone direct me toward more information on Joe Barnett?

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Katherine (if you're still with us),

I would suggest you'd look into Bruce Paley's book Jack the Ripper -- The Simple Truth, where he investigates Joseph Barnett more closely (although I would recommend you read it with at least one critical eye open).

Also try the threads here on the message boards that deal with Barnett as a suspect.
There is also a factual entry on Barnett among the "Suspects" on the main meny to your left on the webside.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

JtR
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, how r u doing i am new here

peter.s,cooke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just found this site, very interesting, been reading ripper books for a few years now, ever time a book comes out reveling a new suspect i think we have finely found jack, then we get another one naming somone else this is part of the fun and acceped, but i have one question if the diary is a forgery why has no one claimed to be the author it doesnt make sense, why bother writing it and then not claiming the glory, and also why has it not been proved conclusively that it is a forgery,} it proved less than a week to prove the Hitler diary was a fake so why not the the Maybrick diary

peter.s,cooke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just found your site, very interesting, been reading ripper books for a few years, every time i read a book and think we have found jack somone writes another book and trys to con me into their pet suspect.
one question i have is why hasnt the diary been proved conclusively that its a forgery, surely as no one has come forward to claim to be the author it must be taken more serious than it is if not what is the point of writing if}

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,

and kill the Golden goose?

Cue Caz.

Monty
:-)
"I thought we'd agreed, I thought we'd talked it out, Now when I try to speak, She says that I don't care, She says I'm unaware, And now she says I'm weak ."- Joe Barnett

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 303
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alas, poor Monty! I knew him.
Mags

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 3:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is somebody going to answer this poor chap and blow the lid off the can of hungry worms? Or is everyone else like me and doesn't want to start the ball rolling that will begin with giving him an answer and end with an in-house free-for-all mudwrestle? (Don't know why I put mudwrestle).

I'll start with a toe in the water - Peter... first thing's first. Pretty much all of us now agree it is fake. The point of all the discussion now is when was it written?

There have been confessions and subtractions of said confessions since the early 1990s.

I think lab tests finding the ink full of modern preservatives is a good start.

And now I will run away. Give me a 5-minute head-start before you come in, folks!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jane
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 3:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Phil,

I'll stick with the mudwrestling thanks

Just so that this isn't a wasted post, I did a copy of Maybricks handwriting once using the will as a template. Just for the hell of it. It was quite easy to copy, I just wondered why the writer didn't even have a go at it.........

That should start the mudwrestling off!

Jane

xxxxx

Peter.S.Cooke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty, hi nice talking to you, but your comments about killing the golden goose made my point for me,their is no golden goose for the author the only people making money from the diary are the publisher and the book shops, so are you trying to say that the publishers know who the author is
and are paying him royalties each month. If this is what you are trying to say its a good theory, but if you take it to its logical conculsion it means the diary wasnt wrote by JTR
he would be dead,so the diary would be a fake

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howdy Peter,

Publisher?? You may think that but I couldnt possibly comment.

Why do people assume that its the work of one particular individual?

All I know is that its one of the top selling books on the subject of Jack, theres a video about it and a constant grinding rumour mill with regards to a film (usually starring Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins).

But sssh, Ive said too much already. You'll get me into trouble you will.

Monty
"I thought we'd agreed, I thought we'd talked it out, Now when I try to speak, She says that I don't care, She says I'm unaware, And now she says I'm weak ."- Joe Barnett

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm...

"I ate her left kidney with a pocket watch and a nice Shirley Harrison ff.ff.ff.ff.ff.ff.ff.ff" says Mr Hopkins.

PHILIP

peter.s.cooke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 2:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so are we saying the diary was commissioned

peter

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 667
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I know is that its one of the top selling books on the subject of Jack, theres a video about it and a constant grinding rumour mill with regards to a film (usually starring Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins).

So - just to clarify - that's Jodie Foster as Caroline Morris and Anthony Hopkins as John Omlor?

Or would it be the other way round?

Chris Phillips

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 3:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,

No as such.

As PHILIP says, tests and research need to clarify age first. Secondly, if contemperary then obviously we need to ascertain a link between both Maybrick (the diary hints at this link but nothing is clarified) and, more importantly, Jack.

The diary offers nothing new on the murder side of things. No revelation, no unknown piece of information, nothing to research. There is nothing tangable between the diary and the murders......now if it was found with a key...or a piece of apron....or

Monty

PS, just for interest. Back in 1988 I knew of a person who was toying with the idea of writing a diary just like the one we're discussing. Its not such an uncommon idea.

peter.s.cooke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 1:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Monty,
i will keep on reading, whens the next book out
Peter

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 3:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,

Id give it another 5 years mate.

Monty
I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to f**kin' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 5:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW Monty,

you will have to tell me just who that person was.

Jenni

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 6:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn.

Yeah I'll tell you who it was.......Me.

Monty
I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to f**kin' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought you might say that.

Jenni
ps 5 yrs?

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back in 1988 I knew of a person who was toying with the idea of writing a diary just like the one we're discussing. Its not such an uncommon idea.

But it's a rarety for anyone to actually do it.

And no one has tried to copy the watch scratches either.

Yes, that would just about put the lid on it. Unfortunately, the only preservative so far detected by the scientists (and the ink was hardly 'full' of it) was kicking around way back in the 1850s.

Love,

Caz
X

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But it's a rarety for anyone to actually do it.

Yet not impossible so it seems.

Lotsa love,

Monty

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No clearly it's not impossible.

Nicholas Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Phil, and everyone,

Going back to an earlier post Phil, you mentioned that there was modern preservatives found in the ink written in the 'Diary'. Could you plese enlighten me as to where you came across this information and why it hasn't been publicised before. I would be most interested.

I know it's been a while since I've been on the boards and I've got a lot of catching up to do so please bear with me.

Thanks
Jules

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 638
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It wasn't me. I have no views on the Diary about such technical matters, sorry. Another Phil?

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 9:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,

Jules was referring to a post by Philip (aka George Hutchinson), as you can see if you scroll back to Feb 1.

Hi Jules,

Philip wrote:

I'm thinking he meant would be a good start. (But of course, it would also be an end to it, the moment anything about the diary can be proved modern.)

Love,

Caz
X

Nicholas Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day guys,

For some reason some of my posts don't get to be posted. I did apologise for that misunderstanding, but it must have got caught up with some cyber bug which my computer seems to be afflicted with.

Sorry
Jules

Nicholas Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Caz and Phil, I guess I must still be suffering from jet lag. I can't even remember if it was on this board or another that I apologised to Phil for a misinterpretation of something which was posted earlier.

I've still got a lot of catching up to do.
But yeah, even Barrett could be proved to be modern. Maybe if he could do a rap dance at the next conference and let some of those receipts fall out of his pocket we could solve the 'Diarhear' mystery once and for all.

By the way Caz, has your book been translated into 'Black Country' lingo yet? I'm even starting to talk like them ooh arr lol.

Love
Jules

Nicholas Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 7:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Phil and Caz,

Hopefully this post will work.

As I tried to post before, but must have been censored by the moderators, I sugested that we should get Mr Barrett to do a rap dance at the next Ripperologist meeting and maybe some of those receipts might fall out of his poackets and prove once and for all where the 'Diareary' came from.

Cheers
Jules

Nicholas Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies Phil, I've been scanning down these post so quickly that I'm getting peoples names mixed up. But there was someone earlier, George Hutchinson on 1st Feb who mentioned it and then followed up by Caz, a few posts later.

Sorry about that mate.

Jules

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 4:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jules,

As an unregistered guest, your posts have to be vetted before they appear, hence the delay.

Love,

Caz
X

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 562
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've not looked at this thread for ages. And thus it continues.

Actually, I had been told by someone very in the know on Ripper matters that 'they' (AKA The Men In White Coats, who I'm very familiar with) had found modern ink preservatives in the Diary. It wasn't someone I would have grounds to doubt.

Always helps to differentiate between Phil Hill and myself to refer to me as Philip, as that's my name! Or George. Or Sir will do as well.

PHILIP

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

Unfortunately, unless or until this 'in the know' person has the courtesy to tell Keith Skinner (and everyone else who is still investigating or proposing new tests, or just debating) exactly what they told you, and has the necessary facts to back it up, it will continue.

As you say yourself:

And thus it continues.

Love,

Caz
X

Nicholas Smith
Sergeant
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 5:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Sor,

I'm sure Shirley Harrison would be most interested as well mate. So how about just spitting out who told you about the praeservatives. It would certainly cut short this debate if you were to tell us.

Jules

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 566
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 5:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diddles...

In an AP Wolf type of way I am not going to say (but you should all know me well enough by now to know I wouldn't make it up).

The way I shall leave it is that some people will know by virtue of the fact I won't say! Unless I completely misheard the discussion I had with 'X' about it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't.

PHILIP

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

The problem is that, whoever 'X' might be, this boils down to hearsay, and ill-informed hearsay at that. It's worthless if you won't even name your source, even if some of us can probably guess.

What on earth have we all been doing on these boards for the past six years, debating the diary's possible origins, if you have been reliably informed by 'X' that the ink was found to be 'full of modern preservatives'???

You've met Robert Smith, the diary's owner since 1993. Do you seriously think he would have kept quiet about it if the information 'X' fed you was accurate?

Or do you think 'X' was keeping this a closely guarded secret from Robert, but chose to let you in on it?

And if that's the case, don't you think you ought to tell Robert at the next meeting, to save him the trouble of submitting the diary for further examinations? It would also make even more of a nonsense of all the recent calls by modern hoax theorists for more testing.

I'm sorry, Philip, but you really shouldn't believe everything you are told, no matter how much you may trust and admire your informant. Has 'X' ever pushed a particular theory? Hmmmm?

Love,

Caz
X

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.