Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

* I need your help!* Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » * I need your help!* « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 19, 2005Caroline Anne Morris50 6-19-05  9:52 am
Archive through July 01, 2005Jennifer D. Pegg50 7-01-05  5:33 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris

Find yourself another mug to bully.

Ho hum. Well, you've done sarcasm, condescension, long-winded diversionary tactics and name-calling ("fraud", "cheat" etc) already on this thread, so I suppose we are about due for a dose of "St Caroline the Martyr".

But seriously, this won't quite do as an excuse for clamming up about who's behind the "ongoing research". After all, you're the one who keeps on raising the subject.

And this does have a serious side to it. We've just had this rather silly discussion about whether AFI was right about there being chloroacetamide in the ink, over a decade ago.

The reason it's silly is that in the report you yourself have quoted, Roberts said exactly how the suggestion that chloroacetamide was present could be confirmed.

And of course science has moved on since then. It takes only a few minutes with Google to see that the chemical analysis of ink is an absolutely standard procedure in forensic science. It can even be done by non-destructive methods. The question could be resolved quite easily, if people really wanted to resolve it.

In the past, expense has often been given as an excuse for not having further scientific tests carried out on the diary. But with all this "time, money and effort" being poured into this "ongoing investigation", expense seems not to be so much of a problem.

So why not analyse the ink? I can think of one possible reason, but it wouldn't be a creditable one for those organising this investigation. However, perhaps Caroline Morris can give us a better answer.

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2623
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 6:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course maybe Caroline doesn't actually know anything about this 'ongoing investigation' more than what she has said?
"be just and fear not"

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 8:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni

It's certainly a strange business, this "ongoing investigation" - apparently an investigation into the whereabouts of the Diary before 1994, which seems rather a strange thing to focus on.

Perhaps Caroline Morris doesn't know as much about it as she makes on, but I'd be surprised if she didn't at least know who was behind it. But who knows?

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2625
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For something that gets mentioned so often on these threads it just appears to be secretive in nature. Either way, it certainly makes you wondered just what it is all about and what it is investigating.

I personally can think of a few things i would like to investigate. But hey!

Incidentially, no Caz, I was not calling you a liar.

If you want me to SEE your question how about not editing your post AFTER I have replied to it!

And yes i had noticed I edited this but at least you hadnt already replied.

Jenni

(Message edited by jdpegg on July 03, 2005)
"be just and fear not"

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2626
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Incidentally,

i do believe James Maybrick got one thing right, time does reveal all. And yes - i look forward very much to that day.

"be just and fear not"

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2627
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Furthermore,
I never mentioned Keith, so how could I be calling him a liar? I would never call Keith a liar, he never even reads these boards as far as i am aware. It would just be wrong to.

Anyway, he isn't one!!!

"be just and fear not"

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni

I think what we're seeing here is simply Diversionary Tactic Number 36 in the Caroline Morris Handbook of Bulletin Board Debating Tactics, which is entitled "How Dare You?".

This states that if all other means of answering an awkward question fail, you take offence, pretend to be very hard done by, and stomp off in a huff.

It's certainly a far cry from Caroline Morris's feisty rejoinder to Ally, "I just said that I don't mind you trying to 'bash me' in the least. You just keep bashing away for all you are worth." That was a response to Ally's (perfectly justified) reference to Caroline's "completely unethical, sleazy, scheming behavior".

So I don't think it's that she really feels all that much more insulted than usual. I think it's just that she doesn't want to answer the question.

I think the only remedy is just to keep asking the awkward questions:

Who's behind the "ongoing investigation"? Who's putting up the dosh? What are they hoping to get out of it?

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2629
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 5:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe Caroline doesn't know who is behind the "ongoing investigation" and what it's all about?
Else why wouldn't she answer your question?

(Message edited by jdpegg on July 04, 2005)
"By the power of Greyskull - I have the power!"

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1917
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 6:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

Chris posted this on June 28:

Now, in case I wasn't clear enough last time - arguing with compulsive liars is one of the more pointless things in life, in my opinion. The discussion's closed as far as I'm concerned.

So I don't know why he keeps trying to open another one. Perhaps he missed me over the weekend.

If you want me to SEE your question how about not editing your post AFTER I have replied to it!

How about not posting until the editing time is up for the previous poster? You were posting while I was editing mine. You hardly gave yourself a chance to absorb what had gone before. No wonder you miss so much!

Originally, you asked me:

...so what would you suggest the way forward was Caz, on all fronts?

And I mentioned the ongoing investigation, to remind you that there are people already going forward, in a variety of different ways. It was what you wanted to hear, or so I thought - that the investigation had not been abandoned as unresolvable.

For someone who believes everything was resolved back in 1994 with AFI's result, Chris is making an awful din, whining for more news, while thinking up even more horrible things to say about the very person he is asking to dish the dirt. If I don't give him a sausage, what will he do? Call me a blue meanie? Oooh, I'm shaking in me flip-flops.

Once again, it was Keith Skinner who originally suggested I advise the boards that the investigation was continuing, and new tests were recently performed as a direct result of your own efforts. And yet you wrote:

Unless of course the investigation doesn't really exist?

The investigation is taking many forms, and many people have become involved, including you.

Enjoy being a part of it all, or be a misery guts like Chris. It's not going away anytime soon.

Love,

Caz
X

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 6:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All very interesting, but - who's actually behind this investigation? Where's the money coming from? What are they hoping to get out of it?

Oh, and let's not forget - why not analyse the ink?

Chris Phillips

(Message edited by cgp100 on July 04, 2005)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2630
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 7:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline,

ok, ok, whatever you say.

i think Chris raises some very interesting questions. Are you going to answer them. or is the fact you don't very much like Chris stopping you?

Jenni

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2632
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ps,

i think I know what I have and have not been involved in some how.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pps,

you moan about people picking on you and yet you call me
'No wonder you miss so much! '

just lets try be civil shall we?

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

Yes, that would make a nice change.

I will try not to throw back what gets chucked at me, if others will try harder not to throw it in the first place.

I'm sorry I didn't take kindly to your suggestion that the investigation (which I mentioned when you asked about the way forward) might not even exist - especially as you have played (and are still playing?) an active role in it.

It appeared as if you were jumping on Charm School Chris's "she's a liar" bandwagon. And oddly enough I didn't appreciate it one bit.

Love,

Caz
X

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris

Hmmm. Funny you chose to give us your thoughts on the subject of civility (rather like King Herod giving a seminar on child care!) rather than answer those awkward questions.

Not a big surprise, though...

Chris Phillips

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 4:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

No awkward questions, I'm afraid. It's just that you'll have to curb your impatience and wait for the answers; they are not mine to give - yet.

Think of it this way:

You think you know that the diary is a modern hoax, right?

So the ongoing investigation, as far as you are concerned, can only be a good thing, because whatever comes to light can only help confirm your beliefs, right?

Now keep thinking 'modern hoax', and consider carefully just what the investigation is likely to reveal, if you are right. (Hint: if you are right, it could flush out the forgers. Wow.)

Now tell me why you think you are entitled to know anything before the investigation is ready to reveal all to everyone. Can't you see that, if you are right, there are sensitive issues here, that no one's going to risk going pear-shaped just to satisfy the curiosity of one or two posters on the internet.

I will ask Keith if there is anything I can tell you, but don't hold your breath.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey.

Love,

Caz
X

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 5:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well great, i hope the investigation goes well. Since we don't really want to talk about it/or don't know anything about it, lets not mention it again.

Good.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 6:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

Well you did ask for my suggestions for the way forward, and I told you what I could - that we are going forward.

That's good, isn't it?

Love,

Caz
X

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 7:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is.

i said good didn't i?

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris

Can't you see that, if you are right, there are sensitive issues here, that no one's going to risk going pear-shaped just to satisfy the curiosity of one or two posters on the internet.

Can you explain why the identity of the person who is funding this work should be in the least sensitive?

I take it the sensitivity is of a purely commercial nature...

And from what you say, is it safe to assume this mysterious person has for some reason opted not to take the direct route of settling the question by having the ink chemically analysed?

Chris Phillips

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

You have money on the brain, and it's tainting your judgement. The sensitivity has nothing to do with any commercial concerns. You believe the diary is a modern hoax; if you are right, it means that any in-depth investigation in Liverpool is likely to end up affecting people still living.

Think of the implications for the Johnson family, for instance, or Anne Graham, if your diary forgers are being flushed out as we speak.

I have no problem with what Robert Smith has said in public - that he would sign up any flushed-out hoaxer(s) immediately for a book deal. I would be happy to be a part of that, if asked. The story would be well worth telling, just to put the whole thing to bed at last, after upsetting so many people over so many years, in so many ways.

Anyway, I have talked with Keith (who tells me he has been keeping up with this thread), and we quickly decided that Chris Phillips's need to know (what is or is not being funded, by whom and why), is simply not on our list of priorities right now.

As for further chemical analysis, Robert Smith is more than happy to release the diary if anyone can come up with a test that may be able to tell us once and for all whether or not the ink is of modern manufacture.

It is never going to be safe for you to assume anything about the diary, the watch, or about the people who have been investigating their origins. Why not wait until the fruit of other people's labours has ripened, and can be safely laid at your door?

Love,

Caz
X

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2649
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 6:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Caroline,

people still living? You mean you think the hoaxers are still alive?

Jenni

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 6:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caroline Morris

Actually, the whole thing suddenly seems completely unimportant.

Chris Phillips

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni,

It's what others think.

For the first time I agree with Chris. Right now, today, all I can think of is how grateful I am that my daughter is safe indoors.

Others are not so fortunate.

See you tomorrow.

Love,

Caz
X

Nicholas Smith
Sergeant
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day all,

I'm sorry to say it but once again these discussions seem to have turned into a vendetta against a person who has expressed an opinion based on information which has come to her via a source not available to ourselves.

This does not discount this information to be correct or incorrect. It just means that at times one cannot divulge the point from where this information comes from.

Think of yourselves under oath to either a jury or a best friend. That should put things in perspective.

Sincerely
Jules

Nicholas Smith
Sergeant
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 4:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And yeah, god rest all those souls who lost their lives in the bombings - not just here but all round the world.

Don't forget to hug the ones you love.
Jules

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haven't been on for awhile but I hope all of you in Britain and along the Gulf coast are well. Did I step into a mess here about the diary or has it been cleared up? Neil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.