Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

US RIPPER CONFERENCE 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Annual Conferences on Jack the Ripper » US RIPPER CONFERENCE 2006 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 26, 2005Christopher T George50 5-26-05  9:24 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 819
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is good news, he was a very entertaining speaker at the C&D earlier this year and I never managed to get the chance to chat to him, so hopefully I'll be luckier this time round!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" - Hunter S. Thompson (1939-2005)
Visit my website - http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

Judith A. Stock
Sergeant
Username: Needler

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it, Alan?? And I still have a surprise or two to deliver..........

Judy

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...not that I will be doing the Karaoke rendition of N.W.A's greatest hits[ 30 minutes nonstop ] during Alan's speech in the back with all the Ripper ladies? Lets keep that on the hush-hush,Ms.Judy !
HowBrown

Judith A. Stock
Sergeant

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm please to announce that our schedule has filled with the acceptance of Dr Karen Kurt Teal, Edmonds CC, University of Washington. Dr Teal is a welcome addition to our panel of distinguished speakers, and I'm looking forward to hearing her.

As soon as I figure out how to revise the conference page, I will be putting the schedule up for all to see, but for now, suffice it to say, we have a knockout lineup and are thrilled with the interest being shown so far.

We are getting a lot of early reservations, so if you really want to join us in Baltimore, drop me a line AT THE VERY LEAST to let me know you will be coming...we are going to try to limit attendance to 100, as that seems the most manageable number, as well as the max for the most attendees getting to chat to the speakers. Any more people, and the number gets too large, so let us know asap about next April.

Thanks to all and cheers,

Judy
http://www.casebook.org/2006

jenniivorymooncouk35646
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 7:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi America,
Jenni here,looking forward to both conferences Brighton & Baltimore after reading all of the messages can't wait to meet you lot on both sides of the water. Hope you warm to our new author Vanessa A Hayes who's book will be published 01/10/05 we are hoping to get her over to you!!! Is there any big strong American men willing to chaparone 3 English Ladies - haha

Eduardo Zinna
Detective Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

I am the European Editor of Ripperologist. Would you kindly contact me at eduardo@ripperologist.info?

All the best,
Eduardo

Stephanie D. Riggsby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy,

I'm willing to bet that you don't remember meeting me in April 2002 (I was the intoxicated redhead sitting with CMD all weekend). But I had an amazing time and hope to see you next year. Do you need any help with anything?

Stephanie D. Riggsby

Judith A. Stock
Sergeant

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steph, yes I DO remember you....you worked with Ally all weekend in the book room and helped ENORMOUSLY!!! Will probably need help again with the books, but right now, I barely have time to plan tomorrow..never mind next April.

Thanks for the offer to help; you'll never be turned down, and having you back will be great. We'll be dragging in Thursday afternoon, and will begin setup Friday morning..if you get there Thursday night, we can probably work out a dinner party as most of our Brits and Kent State people will be there....sound good?

Thanks for coming back, Steph, and for your kind offer. Help is always greatly appreciated.

BTW, Storytellersmediagroup and Mr Mark Stone, who worked on two documentaries with Dr James Badal, will be joining us at the conference to do interviews on the state of Ripperology in the 21st century. THIS WILL NOT BE YOUR BOG STANDARD DOC; this one will be about the research and researchers.

My only problem now is...........how do we surpass this one in 2008? Can't think of any way it could get any better!

Cheers to all,

Judy

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good evening, and happy new year to all..hope everyone had a (relatively) safe and sane holiday, and that no one is still suffering from 31 December's celebrations!

NOW, down to business. The reservations really began rolling in on 26 December, so obviously we had to get the holidays out of the way before we began thinking about April; fair enough.....2006 is now officially here, and we have 105 days left until the US Ripper Conference in Baltimore, AND, there are only 69 days left before all payments for the conference are due.

The schedule is full, and we have a couple of extras on the back burner which may require we begin a bit before our planned 5 PM start time...no, we WON'T begin at noon, but we may have to start a bit earlier just to accomodate all these special events that are planned.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO COME TO BALTIMORE IN APRIL, PLEASE SEND YOUR $100 DEPOSIT SOON. SLOTS ARE FILLING VERY QUICKLY, AND I WOULD HATE FOR ANY OF YOU TO MISS OUT. A SIMPLE NOTE OF INTENTION WON'T CUT IT ANY MORE; WE NEED TO SEE YOUR INTENTIONS STATED WITH A DEPOSIT. THE BALANCE IS NOT DUE UNTIL 15 MARCH. REMEMBER, THERE IS A LIMIT OF 100 PERSONS ATTENDING, AND THAT INCLUDES LOCALS WHO DO NOT STAY AT THE HOTEL.....the number is set at 100 so that each of you might have a chance to talk with the authors, and get books signed, etc; a larger number becomes unwieldy, and means someone will miss out on a q & a or book signing due to the sheer numbers trying to get a question answered. We are cognizant of the fact that you all want to meet and talk with the speakers, as well as with other attendees, and have tried to schedule breaks that are long enough for that, BUT we still have a full schedule that will be kept. Anything less would be an insult to our speakers AND to you.

SO, since this board has been silent since August, I thought I would jump-start the new year with this reminder, and with a wish that you all had safe holidays, that you survived (although, after a week in Vermont with my grandkids, I'm not so sure that I did!), AND that we will see all of you in Baltimore in April.

If you don't use the link below, you can always get to the conference info from the home page of this very Casebook!

Cheers to you!

Judy
http://www.casebook.org/2006

Dan L. Hollifield
Detective Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn and I are good to go. Lyn just got Judy's confirmation message about our check for the Con. OK, step up to the plate and take a swing at it, folks. Time's awastin'.

Vila
"Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible... However, it should only take me ten minutes or so."

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan and Lyn

Good to know you both will be in Baltimore. I sent my deposit to Judy last week. It should be a great convention and I am greatly looking forward to it. Will look forward to chatting to you both there.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 708
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 3:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Meet you there, then, C.T. -- you couldn't bring another copy of Toxteth, couldya? Only my puppy chewed my copy up and I've been devastated ever since. (Remember you coming home to find your cat in a bra?) I was absolutlely heartbroken to find my copy of Toxteth in shreds, Christopher. You must be able to imagine the fit I threw. I cried over those chewed up papers, and I'd do bodily harm for another copy.

I want to remember that school tie.

(The CD with that lovely Erik singing is still in my player, and don't think I missed the autograph.. and don't think I don't know who wrote the words. And it will definitely be played on the day. And thank God I can sell another copy of the autograph on eBay when I need money.)

But I so want to read Toxteth again, yanno. I really truly do. Sucks not having a copy any more.

Anyway, if not before, C.T. we'll see you in Balto. Miss you terribly.

Make sure everything you've signed is in hard copy so's I can sell it.

God I've missed you, (I was only thinking of Nelson and his one eye today). Plus I bought the "Lifetime" 'John Lennon' yesterday.

Always,

Lyn xxx

And best to Donna too.

(You do have another copy of Toxteth, don't you? Only, I wasn't joking. Hey, I'm extremely happy nowadays otherwise -- you'll meet him in Balto.)
**Nicotine withdrawls are evil** but being a psychopath is much more exiting.. (Dan is really really scared -- it's cutness^^)

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 721
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Has any consideration been given to having the conference closer to the population center of the U.S.? You know, something for us hayseeds out here in the sticks. How about Memphis?

Goodies,

Stan

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan,

MUCH consideration has been given to that very thing, but we have several requirements that must be met, and since the four of us....Ally, Stephen, my husband and I all live in Virginia, we have opted to keep it on the East coast. First reason is that we usually have speakers from Britain, and costs for air fares skyrocket once an international flight gets east of the coast..since we pay for these speakers' travel and rooms, we have to watch the cost; second, the four of us who run the thing are close to the conference site, and that's essential; third, overall costs must be kept down so we can keep the weekend within most people's price range..Baltimore offers the airport, free hotel to air and train transport, the hotel with good, reasonably priced food, the low fees, etc that we need and MUST have to get people to come.

Sorry to have to pass all that on, but we have not been able to find ANY other place with all the things we require, for the dollar amount we have set. 'Til then, we're in Baltimore (or the environs)........

Thanks for asking, though; I'm certain others have the same questions.......

Hope to see you in Baltimore anyway.....Memphis isn't THAT far away!

Cheers,

Judy

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 720
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - I just signed up. See you all there...
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 723
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Judy. Actually, I live in Central Illinois. I just said Memphis not to sound too selfish.

Stan

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3566
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FAO Alan Sharpe-

What ever happens DON'T take your spoons!!!!! ..but just make sure you give 'em 'Danny Boy' and 'Moon River'....with Bells on!

Psst! wanna borrow Dids???? (I mean it!)

Suzi

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan

I second what Judy said about the convenience of the Comfort Inn at BWI Airport for overseas speakers and guests as well as for the organizers. It has been a great location to hold the event thus far and I am certain that it will be so this year.

Lyn:

There is really no excuse for people who allow their dogs to tear up my book of poetry Toxteth but if it is in my power to give you another I will do so, because I love you so. grin

Actually I have to confess that I have been looking for more copies myself, and believe I must have a box of them here somewhere but have yet to find them, either in our storage locker or in our apartment. But if I do find the copies, you shall have one with my compliments when I see you in April.

All my best

Chris

(Message edited by Chrisg on January 07, 2006)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 842
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi

My singing is of course very much dependent on how many Smirnoff Ice's I've had. Do they have Smirnoff Ice in Baltimore?

I tried to reply to your email but the address you gave me seems to bounce. But I would of course be happy to take Diddles along, but do we really want him running rampant among Baltimore's ladies of the night???
"The sun machine is coming down, and we're gonna have a party."
Visit my website - http://www.alansharp.34sp.com/weblog/

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan:

"Do they have Smirnoff Ice in Baltimore? "

My man,they just got their first shoe store down in Maryland ...I'll bring you a bottle of Ice.

...and a cheesesteak.

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard and Alan and Suzi....not only do they have Smirnoff Ice in Baltimore, they have flush toilets and telephones, as well!!

And Diddles had better watch out..Sooty will be there... DAH...dum ...DAH...dum...etc, etc.....

Judy

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!! Bugger re email!!!! try suzihanney@hotmail.com!
Grrrrrrrr

Suzi

Thomas C. Wescott
Chief Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 550
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy,

Bump that feminist chick and I'll give a talk. Lotsa good, interesting stuff to say. Totally Ripper related. And I'll have Howard Brown make good on his promise to buy me a pint if I go to a conference. Though it'll be a pint of Pepsi. :-)

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom:

Even if they don't give you a spot for which to speak...you have the floor,homeboy,in whatever room I'm in. I'll personally drag undocumented motel personnel into the room,just so you can have a ball...even tourists. So go in April.

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, Thanks for the offer, but Karen fits right into our slate, and there she stays! Not only is her talk Ripper related, but I'm a feminist, too, by the way, so you'd best not travel THAT road!

I'd bet there will be pints available, so come on in....the water is just fine!!

Judy

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

C.T.G, My love,

Thank you, I would be most grateful. (The original was getting a bit dog-earred anyway. And the personal note on the inside cover was a bit outdated location-wise.)

All my love, as ever,

Lyn x

Another note..I should have a couple hundred RipCon 2000 tee shirts still floating around in a box somewhere in New Mexico. Want me to track 'em down and bring 'em? (If we'd just put the year on 'em as I believe I suggested at the time, they'd probably be 'collectible' by now, my dear...)

What was it that Brad said again?

Oh, yeh.. it was crazy or something.

Yeh, well, it's still crazy, but it's a good thing. So there!

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyn......SURE, bring the shirts........at least 20 or so.....and since the only Ripper conf we held in NJ was in 2000, they are pretty much a collector's item, anyway......

Thanks for remembering them,

Judy

Andrew Spallek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll be making a decision soon on attending -- if there are any spots left.

Judy wrote:
First reason is that we usually have speakers from Britain, and costs for air fares skyrocket once an international flight gets east of the coast..since we pay for these speakers' travel and rooms, we have to watch the cost

Ummmmmm. No, they don't "skyrocket" at least not in the other direction (US-UK). I'm thinking about a London trip in March and I can fly from St. Louis to London for under $500 round trip. That's maybe $100 more than from the east coast. Actually, airfare between Chicago and London is very reasonable. How about giving the Windy City a try in the future and give us Midwesterners a break! :-)

Andy S.

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy,

I just gotta hunt 'em down first. Last I heard, several of them were headed for Seattle, Wa. (Yeh, been hunting them down today.)

I'll see what I can do, yeh?

Can't wait to see you -- last time was awesome! (Despite the M******.)

Love always -- and take a hug, and one for Leroy too,

Lyn x
What was it that Brad said again?

Oh, yeh.. it was crazy or something.

Yeh, well, it's still crazy, but it's a good thing. So there!

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew.....the US to UK prices REALLY ARE different than those of UK to US. I've no idea why this is true, but it really is......just ask Andy and Claudia .......or any other Brit, for that matter!

And, on top of all that, there's no one in the midwest to arrange and run the thing! The truth of it is, we REQUIRE a warm body babysitting the thing from beginning to end...hotel contact, etc MUST be constant and frequent.......

Sorry, Andy, as long as Stephen and I do this, the conference will remain on the East coast...no way can we do it long distance. We tried to do one in Cleveland, with Jim Badal as interlocutor, on the Butcher of Kingsbury Run, and his similarity to the Ripper, but the costs were astronomical, both at the airport and downtown hotels. Chicago could only be more expensive than that.........

Sorry the news is so bad for the midwest.......

Judy

Andrew Spallek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, Judy, I understand that there is more to it than just the air fares and I certainly don't have time to take part in the arrangements, so East Coast it is. :-) But just for the record, I think you'd find Chicago (maybe not downtown) cheaper than Cleveland.

Perhaps those planning the UK conferences could arrange them for a time that is cheaper for those in the US, like March. I'll be flying to London for not that much more than I'll probably pay to fly to BWI. The fares from UK-US seem to be about $100 more than the equivalent US-UK fares. Fares from London to NYC are are only about $70 less than London-Chicago for March travel.

Advice for anybody searching for low air fares: SEARCH diligently. For a London trip I search and re-search dozens of websites to get the cheapest fare. There can be a difference of $200 depending upon which website you use and the fares can change several time a day. I've gotten as low as $435 round trip (from St. Louis) in recent years. $480 is the best I can find right now.

Andy S.

Judith A. Stock
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, Andrew; I appreciate the time you have taken. I STILL hope we might see you in Baltimore!

This is mostly a test, as my computer has decided to misbehave, so please bear with me.

J

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.