Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through April 21, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Annual Conferences on Jack the Ripper » Baltimore Conference - April 2004 » Archive through April 21, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a ton of fun - also great to meet all the gang that I'd been bugging for a while.

Definitely got me reenergized about the case - got a bug to write my police overview again. :-)

B

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3050
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why am I up at 3.30am? This is truly disturbing.

Anyhow, might as well offer a quick summation of the conference for those who didn't attend.

Things kicked off at 5pm Friday with a few words from Judy Stock introducing the weekend. She read, among other things, a letter from Christopher Michael diGrazia who was unfortunately unable to attend, but who sent his best wishes for the conference. The bar was then promptly opened to allow for proper social lubrication.

Michael Huie then proceeded with his show "Jack - A Solo Performance" (http://www.casebook.org/jacksolo.html). Those who haven't yet been blessed with the experience should know that Michael once against brought the house down with his from-the-bowels portrayals of such Ripper folk as Annie Chapman, Joseph Barnett, Mary Kelly, John Pizer, Prince Albert Victor, Tom Bulling, and many others. Much as in 2002, I don't think there was a dry eye to be found during Michael's absolutely riveting portrayal of a recently-deceased, introspective Annie Chapman.

Dinner followed, and after some heated commerce in the book-room, the majority of us floated over into the Rose Bar, attached to the hotel. (Faithful descriptions of subsequent events of the evening becomes difficult due to alcohol-distortion).

Saturday morning found us shuffling into the conference area to find Michael Huie and Larry Barbee hamming it up for the crowd with the "Dead Raven Sketch" (with many, many apologies to Monty Python, who we hear had developed something a bit similar back in the 1970s...) Continuing the theme of working poor Michael to the point of exhaustion, we then had the North Carolinian orate a cracking rendition of Poe's "The Raven," which was a fitting opening to the weekend proper. Bob Barnes finished the homage to our conference hometown with a talk on the most infamous murders of Victorian Baltimore.

After lunch came Stan Russo's exceptional talk on the suspects of the case. Stan explained that there were many suspects which should promptly be eliminated, such as Dr. John Hewitt, but that there were many others who must remain in consideration despite the shortcomings of the authors who originally professed their guilt. He also provided a lengthy overview of the "McCormick debacle", examining the layers-upon-layers-upon-LAYERS of deceit and invention which built up his Identity of Jack the Ripper, which has remained a thorn in the side of Ripperology for nearly half-a-decade now.

We had a small break, and then shuffled back into our seats for Mr. Harry Cook's presentation on Jack London and People of the Abyss. Harry covered an in-depth chronology of London's life before, during and after The Abyss, revealing London's original plans - which had nothing to do with East London at all, but instead dealt with coverage of the Boer War. Luckily for all of us, the War ended early and Jack decided spur-of-the-moment to shift his energies toward the social degradations of the East End. Mr. Cook went through many of the relevant themes of the book, such as the seemingly at-odds mixture of both sympathy and fear that Jack displayed towards his lower-class subjects.

An extensive slide-show followed, and then Harry made available the last few remaining copies of his book on the life of Jack London, which he promptly autographed.

The bar, lifeblood of the conference, once again was opened, just in time for ye olde Ripper auction. Our faithful auctioneer, Leroy Stock, garbed in nearly 200-pounds of tweed, opened the bidding for some 20-odd items of interest, including books, videos, artwork and Ripper-related antiques. The competition was fierce. The bidding was intense. And in the end, thanks to the generosity of all involved, we were able to raise a nice sum of dosh to put towards the planning of the 2006 RipperCon.

The auction winners then had a chance to munch some vittles during our banquet dinner, as they poked, prodded and admired their newly-won possessions. Then it was time for L. Perry Curtis to speak on "Veiling and Unveiling the Ripper Victims" - a penetrating look at how Victorians reacted to the spectacle of the dead and mutilated female form, paralleled with its use in Victorian and early-modern artwork. Perry showed numerous slides of contemporary Ripper illustrations and photography, as well as some early 20th century artwork which looked eerily similar to Mary Kelly's room at 13 Miller's Court. Needless to say, the crowd was riveted. A heated conversation arose among the participants over Gabriel von Max's evocative piece Der Anatom (http://www.zhurnal.ru/staff/gorny/pics/max/Gabriel_von_Max_Der_Anatom.html).

Once more we shuffled into the bar to imbibe and discuss the day's events, and once more the memories grow faint...

Sunday began with Chris George presenting on Jack the Ripper and the Jewish East London. Chris covered some of the more interesting links between East London Jewry and the murders, including his discovery of PC Brown - a Jewish police constable who committed suicide in Hyde Park soon after the Kelly murder of November 1888. After a short break we concluded the weekend with John Hacker's talk on Jack the Ripper and Technology. Amazingly, John took the rather dense subjects of computer science and technological advances and compressed them into an insightful and accessible (not to mention thoroughly entertaining) presentation. John explained the various advances in data storage and retrieval, and how more and more 19th century information such as census records, police material, etc. are now becoming available over the Internet. He completed his talk with a short overview of his pet-project - an extensive XML database which would faithfully catalogue and store all known information on the Ripper crimes. One day we will be able to query this database to find all suspects with a scar on their left shoulder who were at any time referred to by the pseudonym "Hippy-Lip Sammy"... and get the answer back within milliseconds.

With that we offered one last meal for the weekend and opened the microphone to anyone who wished to say some last words on our favorite of subjects.

Personally, I believe the conference was an enormous success. I had the pleasure of seeing some familiar faces from the earlier US conferences, but I also had the opportunity to meet many others for the first time. I know I made many new friends this weekend, and I hope to meet them all again in 2006.

Pictures are available at:
http://www.casebook.org/2004/

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 594
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

A shame I couldn't make it this year. Looks like everyone had a good time. Thanks for the pictures.

All The Best
Gary

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 730
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all!

I am pleased to report a most successful third U.S. convention held here in Baltimore at the BWI Comfort Inn this past weekend. Stephen Ryder and Judy Stock deserve a generous pat on the back for a job extremely well done.

One of the highlights of the weekend for me was the talk on Saturday afternoon by Harry James Cook on Jack London and People of the Abyss. Cook gave a colorful and lively Powerpoint and conventional slides presentation on London's career which gave a number of insights into London, his time in the East End, and his death at age 40, from the effects of mercury poisoning. Utterly fascinating. Mr. Cook had met London's daughter by his first wife before her death and has been to Jack London Ranch in Sonoma, California, of which he showed us atmospheric slides, some with the fog that is a fixture of northern California, and told us insider-type details about the ranch. He had a large supply of photographs of Jack London throughout his career which gave us a close-up look at the writer's career and personal life.

As the keynote speaker Saturday night, Professor L. Perry Curtis gave a bravura presention. I would agree with Stephen that his talk on "Veiling and Unveiling the Ripper Victims" gave an insightful look at how Victorians reacted to the spectacle of the dead and mutilated female form. The lecture in fact elicited a lively debate over Gabriel von Max's portrait Der Anatom (see URL above), which at least one lady attendee found to be an insulting portrayal of a pretty young woman being ogled by a male doctor.

Also fine were Stan Russo, who gave us a preview of his book due out soon from Macfarland on the Ripper suspects, Robert Barnes who talked about Baltimore County Victorian murder cases, and of course the phenomenal Michael Huie who once again blew the convention away on Friday night with his one-man show on the case. On Saturday morning, Huie's "Dead Raven Sketch," based on the Monty Python original, evoked chuckles from the attendees and of course was peculiarly Baltimore-oriented because of the Poe connection. Larry Barbee played the straight foil as the mild-mannered pet shop owner to Huie's irate customer. Huie followed the sketch with a sober reading of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven."

I spoke on the Ripper and the Jewish East End as the first speaker Sunday morning which I thought led to a lively discussion of different aspects of the case and the Jews.

As the last speaker at the convention, John Hacker, a younger American with a pony tail, apologized that he is not used to public speaking, but nonetheless he came across extremely well. In fact, Hacker gave an informed, witty, and interesting presentation on technological advances and how they might aid Ripperology. The title of his talk was "Jack the Ripper and Technology: Ripperology in the Twenty First Century."

The Saturday evening auction proved entertaining with Leroy Stock as a witty auctioneer and facilitator in Sherlock Holmes attire. The auction helped raise money to support the weekend. In short, it was an informative and entertaining convention, with good food and companionship. A successful event all round. Roll on the UK convention in Brighton in 2005 and the next US one in 2006! applause

I will be writing an in-depth report on the weekend for our upcoming May issue of Ripperologist.

Thanks again, Judy and Stephen, Ally and Leroy and all the speakers and performers!

Best regards

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

(Message edited by ChrisG on April 19, 2004)

(Message edited by ChrisG on April 19, 2004)

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a great time.

Triple Kudos to Michael Huie for a once again amazing performance. I could see that play every conference and never get sick of it.

Kudos to Larry Barbee for playing straight man to Michael during the dead raven sketch.

Double kudos to Stan for his suspects sketch. A Kudo gets removed though for his rude tease about his belief that he had solved the case and then a refusal to elaborate. Can't wait to read his books coming out soon.

Triple kudos to Perry Curtis for his lecture which prompted a debate on male-female dynamics that lasted well into the night and the fourth round.

Triple Kudos to John Hacker for an interesting and entertaining speech about technology and how it can be used to further JtR studies. It was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be considering I find technology discussions to be a snoozer--this one was definitely not.

And finally kudos to all the attendees who were truly an entertaining and enjoyable group of people that made for an extremely fun conference.

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gang. RipCon was a hoot! The speakers were good. The food was actually excellent! Great Job Judy and Stephen! Thanks too to Leroy Stock, always the nice guy, he donned wool tweeds to look the part of Sherlock Holmes for the auction. Not easy in 80 plus temps! Ally was an angel, always making sure everyone was having a good time and at home. (You were expecting whips and black leather?)
For me the best part was meeting people Ive known for years but never really met. A partial list would be Brian, Candy, Chris G., Carl, Larry, John, Stan, and Stephen and Ally. Hope I didnt forget anyone.
After the official end of the Con., Candy and I hooked up with Naomi, Emily, and Kelly for a trip to Baltimore. Naomi is a native and offered to drive us. She gave us a minitour which included seeing Baltimore's "Painted Ladys". These are Victorian row houses that have the ornate "gingerbread" painted in bright pleasing colors. As a lover of architecture I was impressed. The buildings of Baltimore blew us away!
We also took in a museum where we saw a giant Peruivan woman mummy, a flesh eating toad from Sumatra, and most amazingly, Abe Lincoln's final turd, dutifully collected at Fords Theater that fatefull nite along with a breakdown of what he ate. I guess the rest of my ramblings will go on Pub Talk or the chat room. Anyway, thanks the organizers, the speakers, and the attendees. I had a great time!...Brad

Brian W. Schoeneman
Inspector
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crap.

I missed Abe Lincoln's last dump. Well, I have something to look forward to in 2006. :-)

B

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 734
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Brad

Glad you got a tour of Baltimore. It was great to meet you as well. I plan to be in the chat room Tuesday night so we can talk some more about what was a great weekend! Roll on Brighton 2005 and Baltimore 2006! applaud dogrun

All my best

Chris

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 735
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After Rippercon 2004

Just as lives intersected on dank East End streets
in 1888, we gathered here at the BWI Comfort Inn
to chew over the bloody long-ago case of Jack
and the painted ladies of gaslit Whitechapel.

Into the sunlight, I haul my books and slide tray
from the cool underground conference room, enter
sudden Maryland heat. Dazzling cement, purple azalea,
black wasps circle in the heat haze. Toyota seat belt

buckle burns my fingers, scorching steering wheel,
poo-hah! Lead my friend Derek from Buffalo to I-95;
we speed toward downtown Baltimore. I veer off, wave
him onward to the Fort McHenry Tunnel and points north.

Christopher T. George

* "Derek" is a chat room screen name that has been used by Robert Kahler who has attended all three of the U.S. Ripper conventions.

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone,
Congratulations on another successful Rippercon in Baltimore 2004. Thanks for providing we stay-at-homes with such informative fly-on-the-wall accounts, to give us all an idea of what to expect when we all FINALLY take the plunge and sign up to attend!
Thank you Stephen P for those photographs,I had no difficulty viewing all of them,(thereby learning something more about this technological
Frankenstein, the Internet!).
I look forward to someone applying names to faces, since that is what a lot of we posters
wonder about.

One mention made me sit up. Stan Russo's in depth discussion of the many-layered misleadings by the
late Donald McCormick.
Now there is a subject I'd like to see dealt with in depth on this Casebook site.
After all, as Chris Phillips so preciently observed, Tom Cullen drew greatly on McCormick's
"research" for his own book. No doubt, as did Daniel Farson. So the McCormick Legacy deserves
some clever textual sleuths, like Stan Russo and Chris Phillips, to elaborate on the good
work of... was it Melvin Harris ?

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,

Here is an informal list of the names of everyone I can remember.

1. Conference organizer, Judith Stock and Speaker, Perry Curtis

2. A line of people at the bar.

3. A whole group o'people

4. Gary Brown, Carl Dodd, Bob Barnes

5. Ellen Lee Russel and Naomi Wallace

6. Emily Robinson, Kelly Robinson, Stephanie Shrader

7. Sorry to say, I don't remember right off hand. (They didn't come to the bar afterwards!)

10. Robert Kahler and Stan Russo

11. Judy, Brad Mcginnis, Candy Morgan

12. Whole Bunch of people

14. Candy in foreground

15. Brad

16. John Hacker and Jeffrey Paul

17. Brian Schoeneman and Stephen Ryder

18. Chris George in foreground

19. Jackie Cambel and Ken Thompson

20. Larry Barbee and Michael Huie

21. Stan Russo

22. Crowd

23-26 4 pics of Harry Cook signing books

27. Larry Barbee and Perry Curtis

28. Leroy Stock as Sherlock

29. Perry Curtis

30. Larry and Perry again

31. Chris George

32. Edgar the raven enjoys a coffee after his exhausting performance as deceased.

33. Edgar caws the crowd to order

34. Stephen Ryder getting giddy.

35. John Hacker getting serious

36. John again.

37. John and Stan

38. The Robinson sisters (aka The Boodles Girls)

All mistakes are of course mine and this shouldn't be taken as official!

Stan Russo
Sergeant
Username: Stan

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To all,

The Baltimore conference was excellent. I'm glad everyone enjoyed my speech, as I enjoyed all the talks presented by other speakers.

It was also great meeting the guys and gals from the boards and many new interesting people, as well as those who I met at the 2002 conference. A fun time for all.

Ally,

I gave you two guesses at my suspect so that at least deserves half of my taken away kudo back.

STAN

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And where are your pictures Ally?

:-)

crix0r

(Message edited by crix0r on April 20, 2004)

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan,

True, I never did use those guesses. I assume I still have the option?

Jason,

Ancient Chinese proverb: She who taketh the pictures appeareth not in them.

Ally

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bahahahhaha.. Good Point.

Hmm.. I need a few more words. That should do it.

crix0r

Patti
Police Constable
Username: Patti

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having lived in Baltimore all my life -- which is a considerable period of time -- I can't believe I missed the "Freaks Museum" which is what everyone called it when they left to go. I know about the "Block" with Larry Flynt's new club, the "marble steps" which front all of the old rowhouses in East Baltimore, the Inner Harbor (which caught fire when Susan was shopping), The USS Constellation, and lots of other monuments and goodies. Yes, the Conference was a learning experience for me.

I would have to comment that this was my first Conference. The food was the best hotel food I can ever remember (even the pizza on napkins was tasty), the people were extremely friendly and Poe and his raven were given their proper place in history.

I would most like to thank Judy who was great in putting me at ease and including me in this wonderful adventure. See you next time.

Pat

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason, you missed it. Just so you know, Ally is very nice. A most pleasing contenance, beautiful smile, and a warm, winning but wicked persona. In short, a riot to hang out with! Just dont tell her I said so, OK? Brad

Stan Russo
Sergeant
Username: Stan

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,

Sure you still have your guesses. Shoot them over to me in an e-mail if you don't already know them.

STAN

Jason Scott Mullins
Inspector

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey There Brad -

Hehehe, yeah I figured. 10 Bucks say's she not nearly as nasty as she acts either!!

/me ducks and attempts to find cover

crix0r

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally
Post those pix eh!!!!!!! Tell me more about Edgar.....the Poe bird I guess!!! looks like he had a great conf tho!!!....did he get any sleep tho....doubt it!!!!
Quoth the raven......'Never More'....till Brighton!!!
Cheers Suzi x

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm just going to ignore the heathens.

Suzi,

The pics are already posted. Here's a repost of the link:

http://www.casebook.org/2004

Naomi Wallace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, I had a great time at the conference and meeting all of you. This was the first time I'd been to the freak museam and I've lived here for three years. I figured now that I'm getting ready to move, I might as well see what's around. Makes perfect sense!

Naomi

Ally
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 539
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heya Naomi,

It was great meeting you. Hope your move to england is grand and hassle free.

Emily Robinson
Police Constable
Username: Emily

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Naomi,

It was great meeting you; thanks again for carting us around Baltimore and showing us the cool "Painted Ladies" in your neighborhood. When you said you were moving soon I didn't realize you meant England -- how exciting! Can we expect to see you at the next conference then?

-Emily

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
Looks like I missed a beauty!!! and a good conference!!!!Any chance of getting Michael Huie at Brighton then chaps, as he couldn't make Liverpool....make sure the raven makes it too!!
Cheers Suzi xyou'll have to colour it in yourselves!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.