Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through March 22, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » Goulston Street Graffito » Graffito » Archive through March 22, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Steven

The problem is that we don't have any evidence of Eddowes having any chalk. Sure, for the sake of argument, we can argue that maybe she did, and that the killer lifted it. Yes, chalk kind of ties in with the sewing materials found on Eddowes, but remember, looking at what we know was actually on her person, it seems that she's mostly working with scraps of cloth and rags, not the kind of whole cloth a tailor would use chalk with. So you have to believe she's using a blocky piece of chalk to mark these scraps, which sounds a little awkward to me.

You also have to believe he killed her, mutilated her, rifled her pockets, retrieved some chalk before putting everything back (well, almost everything). Unless of course, he got lucky and found the chalk first.

But aren't we really just making stuff up to suit a theory? Imagination is good, but I believe you have to confine yourself to what the actual evidence was.

That's just my opinion; I'm not trying to change your mind.

Respectfully,
Dave

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 942
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Where exactly would we find evidence that Kate would have had the chalk. If the Ripper took it from her then by the time her items were sorted it would have gone.

If we just confine ourselves to the basic evidence of everything then we will never get anywhere.

I thought that somewhere there was evidence of the Ripper going through her pockets.

I think it is very likely that he could have taken in from Kate. There were no messages left after the other victims, so why after Kates. If the killer did write it then he would have to have retrieved it from somewhere as it doesn't look like he was in the habit of carrying it around with him.

I agree with Rodney here too. It is most likely that the killer wrote it and to me personally, because of the double negative, it suggests that he wasn't that well educated.

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 900
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and Kate (or Liz) would have chalk for what reason ?

Monty
:-)
Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 946
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

...and anyone would have chalk for what reason?

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 901
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

That settles it then...Kate had chalk, cos we all do.

Monty

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Sarah

You hit the nail on the head--where would we find evidence for the chalk? I'd suggest the inquest records are a good source, and there's no mention of chalk anywhere.

As far as evidence of the Ripper going through her pockets, I haven't seen it. Maybe I've missed it, though. Can you find it?

We can imagine all sorts of things and put them at the scene.

Cheers,
Dave

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 949
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Why would the inquest records have any evidence of her having chalk? If Jack took it, then it wouldn't have been found on her and noted down.

I'll try and have a look for that reference of Jack going through her pockets but I may have been making it up so I apologise now if such a reference doesn't actually exist.

Monty,

My point is, why would anyone have chalk? I'm not saying we all do, because, well we don't, but how can we possibly know why someone would be carrying chalk 116 years after their death? Chalk has many purposes and one of those purposes was to get rid of grease from material, so maybe someone would carry it as a form of grease remover. I don't know but just because we don't know why someone would be carrying chalk, it doesn't mean they wouldn't have been. Kate seemed to have been carrying her life's possessions on her so why couldn't she possibly have had some chalk on her too.

Sarah

(Message edited by Sarah on March 22, 2004)

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Sarah

Well, that's fair (laugh), but my point is that there's no evidence that she ever had any. Maybe if Eddowes had spent the previous month working for a tailor or school, instead of hopping, I'd find it more of a possibility.

Cheers,
Dave

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah, Monty,David,

when I was thinking about this yesterday it crossed my mind that the ripper may have carried chalk on him deliberately because of its absorbent qualities as Sarah is suggesting.To help dry off and absorb blood he may have crumbled it in his hands and used it like soap.
Johnr above points out he would have got it all over his clothes -not necessarily if he was careful with it.That remark by Sgt White about seeing someone near the Mitre Square Scene at the very moment Kate"s body was stumbled on who had "snowy white hands" has always perplexed me
why would he have noticed unless there was something unusual about that? Natalie.

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 954
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

We could just go round in circles here. You say there is no evidence that she had any, I say there is no evidence that she didn't have any.

People look at the evidence in different ways though and my thought process goes as follows:-

I think that Jack wrote that message (as chances are that he did - I'm not getting into that again). He must have acquired the chalk from somewhere. He hadn't written anything with chalk after his other victims, which to me suggests that he didn't carry it around with him. Therefore, I see it as quite likely he took it from Kate or possibly Liz. Not as likely from Liz though because he didn't have time to even mutilate her. Maybe he even found it on the floor.

Sarah

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, Sarah. However, I don't understand what form "evidence she didn't have any" chalk would take.

Cheers,
Dave

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 898
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

How about this for a bit of speculation?

The killer wrote it, but wasn’t claiming to have done so himself. A bit like a naughty schoolboy who writes his own sick note for teacher, but gives the game away by writing:

Dear Miss,

Johnny is not well today so he won’t be able to come to school.

From my Dad.

This is the other way round, but would show a similar childlike naivety. Jack knows they suspect he is a Jew after Annie’s murder. So he helps their suspicions along by leaving part of Eddowes’ apron by the entrance to a building occupied by Jewish residents. Then he overeggs the pudding by pretending to be your average youthful graffiti artist who happens to be passing by, and seeing the bloody piece of cloth and where it has been dropped, thinks to himself “Gor blimey, luvva duck and ‘ow’s yer father! [as Dick van Yawn might say] If they weren’t right to blame the Jews for ripping up those poor wimmin! I’ll whip out me chalk and spell it out for them in me schoolboy hand.”

Jack wanted to provide a second opinion that the police were right to be looking for him among the Jews of the area. He just went over the top in doing so, and ended up with such an unlikely scenario that no one realised what he was really trying to do.

Does it work?

Love,

Caz

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,Well yes I can see that as being a possible scenario myself.
The only thing that jars would seem to me to be his actual phrasing which to me seems to have the type of idiomatic errors thet you find in the speech and writing of people whose first language isnt English.
A person familiar with idiomatic English but likes to be street smart {or grammatical if he is trying to ape "schoolboy English"}would have used words like "aint" or phrases like you"ve used above ---a sort of street smart Cockney or if posing as a naive schoolboy perhaps the phrasing might have been more up front or straightforward

If it had been written by a native English speaker in other words it would have had regular features of English or Irish dialect or slang.
As it is it has the inconsistencies of a non native speaker!
Best Nats

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 902
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah, Nat,

Chalk has many purposes and one of those purposes was to get rid of grease from material.

AT LAST ! A valid reason.

Monty...chances are he didnt.

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 510
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK Monty may need to accept rules of chance
but what about if he knew that chalk would cover things up for him so took the chalk on purpose?
Nats

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 957
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Yes but Kate may have had it on her for a similar reason which is what you asked me for.

David,

Well, what form would "evidence that she ever had any" take? If it was gone by the time her body was found how can we ever know if she had any on her in the first place.

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 906
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

I was agreeing with you. I was after a valid reason for Kate to have chalk...you gave me one.

But its speculation without evidence, which is what Dave is after. No chalk marks at Kates or Lizs murder scene, no reports of dust in any pockets or on clothes. Therefore the lack of chalk evidence in its self supports the theory that the victims didnt carry chalk.

Monty

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 959
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Almost called you Minty there ooops.

Chalk doesn't always create dust, there may have been a marking inside her pocket that wasn't spotted. Just because there is no record of chalk dust it doesn't mean there wasn't any. Back then they used to think that different things were important. There didn't used to think that photographing a crime scene was that important but that doesn't mean they were right. I doubt they would have noticed a tiny bit of chalk dust amongst the blood and mutilated body of Kate anyway let alone note it down.

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 908
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

a) Just because there is no record of chalk dust it doesn't mean there wasn't any..... but it supports the idea that there wasnt.

b) You saying that the police (the same police who went through Kates belongings in such detail) wouldnt have made the jump between any chalk residue and that wall in the Wentworth buildings ? What do you think they were looking for ?

c) Call me anything you want...and at anytime !

Monty

David O'Flaherty
Inspector

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Sarah

Evidence that she ever had any chalk could appear in the form of witness testimony that someone saw her with some. Something like "Yeah, I remember her--she was drunk as a skunk and fooling around with some chalk." Or something from John Kelly "We popped my boots, bought some tea and chalk."

Cheers,
Dave

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

If Kate had some chalk with her, Maybrick would have mentioned it in diary, wouldn't he?

Cheers, Mark

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd like to read for myself Natalie's citation from Begg's History, please. (I don't own this book.) Or, if someone is available and willing (preferably Natalie,) to have the whole applicable paragraph quoted out here. I much appreciate her citation, because on the surface it seems to indicate something new to me about Aaron--written evidence that he was literate. I can't remember seeing that before, although I'll admit it is possible.

Please keep in mind that Aaron was seriously disturbed at his various committments, and was unlikely to be filling out his forms for himself. Likely the administration did this for him, in response to oral questions put to whoever accompanied him at the time. If it says somewhere in these documents that he was literate, I'd love to have the quote. I believe that it may be the case that a someone ATTRIBUTED literacy to him in response to a general interest question--I don't think there would be an EXAMPLE of Aaron's literacy there.

Thanks very much for the help!

Bullwinkle

Vincent
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A bloody knife handle is quite a slippery object. I remember when I played baseball I would rub my hands in the dirt at homeplate to dry out the sweat on them in order to better grip the bat. If you watch a Major League game you will see the players doing the same. I think that this is a very logical reason for him to be carrying chalk: to better grip the knife. What do you think?
Regards, Vincent
P.S.: Do cricket players (!) do this too?

PF arm
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does it matter where the chalk came from?

Surely the point is that it was available and would not looked a strange possession for some one to carry so the writer of the graffitti (ripper or not) would not of had a problem obtaining chalk and getting to the site. Only if the police at the time (i believe it is too late now) had established Eddowes had had chalk stolen from her would such evidence help us understand the origins and significance of the graffitti.

Thomas C. Wescott
Sergeant
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Chalk....

It's a nice idea that Jack got it from either Eddowes or Stride, and one that's been tossed around for years. But...There's no evidence of either of them having chalk, so it's a moot point.
As for Kosminski being literate, it was news to me too until Natalie pointed it out. I own Paul's book and have read it, but that part must not have stuck in my head. Of course, since Aaron Kosminski wasn't Jack, he's not a real priority in my limited brain space.
Incidentally, one source (I'll have to find it again) stated that the last part of the 'Dear Boss' letter was written with red 'chalk' and not crayon. Interesting.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.