Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Graffito Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » Goulston Street Graffito » Graffito « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 13, 2004Thomas C. Wescott25 3-13-04  9:01 pm
Archive through March 15, 2004Natalie Severn25 3-15-04  1:51 pm
Archive through March 16, 2004David O'Flaherty25 3-16-04  10:12 am
Archive through March 17, 2004Natalie Severn25 3-17-04  2:56 pm
Archive through March 20, 2004RipperHistorian25 3-20-04  7:40 pm
Archive through March 22, 2004Thomas C. Wescott25 3-22-04  11:06 pm
Archive through March 25, 2004Sarah Long25 3-25-04  9:33 am
Archive through May 19, 2004Natalie Severn 25 5-19-04  2:48 am
Archive through May 20, 2004Donald Souden25 5-20-04  12:05 pm
Archive through March 31, 2005I Know Jack50 3-31-05  4:47 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Phil:

You stated........"The spelling was in fact Juwes"...

Not necessarily so,sir....It may have said one of more than likely 3 things and up to 6.

Phil Hill
Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard - as far as I was aware, the word was always plural (I am aware of the Jewes alternative) never JUW.

What are the others?

Phil

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 5:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Phil....

1. Juwes---Halse
2. Jewes--Saint Bob Anderson [ not even there ]
3. Juews--McWilliam
4. Juewes--Dr.Adler
5. Jews---Smith
6. Juives---D'onston...the guy who wrote it

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 6:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah - and now you give yourself away, Howard!!

For me D'Onston doesn't even get a look in, though I LOVE Melvyn Harris's books.

But none of them is the (potential) singular "JUW"
, which was my original unserious quibble).

by the way, you still haven't answered my question:

...tell me: How can one distinguish between an illiterate person spelling badly and a "puzzle thrown in"?

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

c.shaw - we obviously have different standards of reasoning!!

I Know jack, you wrote: I also find it odd that no-one questions the extra 'e' in the spelling. It may be important!

Why?

Phil

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 6:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Phil....

Saying you love Melvin Harris's books without giving his suspect his day in court is like saying you enjoy swimming but hate to get wet....Some pieces to the Stephenson puzzle are being found,albeit slowly...Maybe by 3005 we will have enough to pin the WM on him...

I see you need some persuadin' there sir...Allow me to try...

Forget Stephenson for a moment. Consider this....

Its 2005 and what apparently are the third and fourth murders in a succession of related murders are found in,say, Philadelphia, on the same night,say April 1st. From the second victim, a piece of her halter top has been cut off and deposited a quarter mile away near a semi-lit ATM machine. Immediately over the halter top,in black magic marker [ Sharpie@ ], is a small message in cursive handwriting that appears to say...." The babe is not the one I hunted,but was one hunted anyway.."

Yeah,its a silly looking graffiti. There's a twist coming up,so be ready...

The local press makes reference to the message and the proximity to the found piece of halter top soon thereafter....

Then a know-it-all takes it upon himself to send in a article to the local paper explaining that the second word,"babe" really said "baba" and that "baba" is a Slavic [ Ukrainian} word meaning "woman" . The writer theorizes that some Ukrainian is behind the message and therefore the murders,also adding that Ukrainians he has known weren't that good at spelling.

Be honest. How fast do you think that the police in our day and age would wait before at least questioning this guy ? Lets pretend that it was discovered that our letter-corrector had a 20 year background in necromancy and had had first hand knowledge of surgery and knives,having been a medic in Operation Desert Storm...

What say ye,Phil ? You're a detective in this scenario...do you go check this guy out?

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 1:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting approach, Howard. But NOT one I intend to follow.

One can surely enjoy an author for his style, wit and depth of research without necessarily agreeing his conclusions. I think Philip Sugden's book probably the best single volume on JtR that has been written, but I think his judgement on his chosen subject a load of c**p.

My objections to D'Onston and others like him is that I perceive not a shred of evidence of an occult connection here, and I am far from convinced by theories involving "toffs" these days.

30 plus years of reading and thinking about the case leads me to the impression that an Eastender (Kosminski, maybe even a Barnett) is a much more likely candidate. Though I make a possible exception for Druitt and Tumblety (from his possible Fenian connection).

On the whole though I have an inkling that we have yet to see the name of the real murderer emerge.

Phil

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 7:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil...

Fair enough....but you didn't answer my question. Would you at least investigate someone like the character I hypodermically created ?

I ain't trying to needle you.

How

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In a murder case the police clearly have to follow all leads.

But as Cornwell's researches may indicate (the one thing IMHO to emerge from them), a man like Sickert - obsessed with the murders and something of a humourist - might well WRITE to the police. I doesn't mean he was the murderer.

That D'Onston Stephenson may have WRITTEN about the murders, even been obsessed by them is entirely possible, but even Melvyn Harris, whom I admire, could not convince me of his guilt, over 2 or 3 books.

Phil

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 570
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If obsession with the murders is the criteria then all of us on these boards are probably JTR!

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 8:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Palmer wrote:
“Dave--Thanks. It's always a pleasure. Maybe I'm splitting metaphysical hairs, but let's look at what you write (under #21): {Mr. Radka wrote:} "The psychopath mailed the package to Lusk a few days after Lusk was portrayed in the press as having tirelessly extended his marathon reward campaign by having mailed yet another in a long series of letters, dated 10/7/88 to Home Secretary Mr. Henry Matthews, this time requesting Matthews agree to offer both a substantial government reward and a pardon to an accomplice turning in the murderer. Although Matthews had once again rejected Lusk’s proposals immediately (10/12/88-draft), crucially this time he also had agreed to keep them under review, thus placing Lusk into an odd limbo...' {Mr. Palmer wrote:} Well, yes, I acknowledge that Lusk already had his foot in the door; he did get some press back in September. Yet it still seems to me that by stressing that Lusk's "odd limbo" was the impetus for the grisly communication, we (the readers) are stuck with the impression that the psychopath is "sitting" on the Kidney, somehow knowing how the future is going to unfold. No? Why else wouldn't he got off his arse and mail the organ on October 2nd? Something to consider, nothing more.”

>>Thank you for this excellent question, Mr. P. It’s tippy-top, one of your best.

The psychopath mailed the letter and kidney at the point at which, as perceived by his tiny personal identity structure and perspective, he was either just about to lose the reward money or, alternatively, just might have been able to pull his treasure back from the jaws of defeat. This is a somewhat different matter, but not entirely different, from why he took the kidney from Eddowes’ body.

The psychopath built two motivators for Lusk into his double event actions. (1) First was the double event itself, the apotheosis of terror occurring just after completion of the Chapman inquiry and the Leather Apron affair. By killing two women in one night, he felt he would be able to terrify Lusk into pressing his efforts to secure a government reward to the fullest. He is portraying himself as an extremely dangerous lunatic amongst a terrified populace by killing in this manner, a real wolf in the fold. Based on the support the idea of a government-augmented reward had already generated both among the people and in the government, and further moved by the shock and awe of the events of September 30, he felt Lusk would be a good horse to bet on with respect to winning the reward. (2) Second was a letter to Lusk personally, identified by the half kidney. This would be a more personal approach, the terror taken straight to the man himself, but for the same end. This is why the murderer took the kidney from Eddowes.

But then what happens? Motivator (1) worked immediately without any need to resort to (2). Before the double event, Lusk’s stock was rising at a moderate pace. Immediately after, however, it took off meteorically. Lusk became increasingly and sensationally famous, one of the very first media heroes, he gained notoriety along a new and powerful continuum, with access to increasingly high officials, and everyone was talking about and rooting for him. At this point the psychopath would not be in a position to think sending the kidney would stand him in any greater stead with Lusk, perhaps it might even backfire somehow, so he just saved it.

But then what happens? Matthews has an epiphany, he realizes he just can’t listen to outsiders and sensation-seekers, and that a reward would not only be entirely contrary to Home Office policy but would likely backfire as well; in that there probably would appear hordes of people turning in their fathers, brothers and uncles to get the money. So he issues his crucial but often-ignored October 12 letter.

This backs the psychopath right up to the wall. He is now losing control, and when this chap loses control he takes action, witness what he did when his wife told him she felt she’d like to provide for her unfortunate brother. By any reasonable expectation, Lusk at that point could be counted on to more or less tone down his reward campaign, and that would put the psychopath right out of business concerning the mega-bucks.

So, he figures he’s got to tone Lusk right back up. What worked before will work again. Terrify the guy. Hence the mailing of the letter and half-kidney.

It’s always a pleasure dialoguing with you, Mr. P. Feel free to suggest an alternative explanation to these events if you wish.

RoseyO'Ryan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 3:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

For those who have been following the Liz Stride thread these past weeks, and the micro-management of both the victim and her killer in the minutes before the fatal wound was inflicted, we are presented with the possibility that TWO JACKS were loose on the night known as the Double-Event. Could this explain the use of the plural?
The Two Krazy-Juwes theory runs something like this. Sockit and Slashit are enmeshed in a sibling/filial rivalry which threats to spiral out of all control (See, David Radka, et.,al.), and the Graffito is the work of Slashit who ups the ante with this message directed at his rival, Sockit. Slashit is the cool dude with a degree in matters of stealth and public relations. Sockit is more unrefined when it comes to 'grooming' the Ladies of the Night, he also lacks strength in his wrists when weilding the Bowie Knife.
As Ever,
Rosey :-))

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2690
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

i'm sure this will have been asked by someone else somewhere before but I'll ask anyway.

in the victorian times didn't children learn to write using a piece of chalk and slate?

Where was the nearest school to the GGS anyway?

Cheers
sorry if this isnt the right thread to be asking on!

Jenni

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 642
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

Good question and one for which I have no answer. Still, it does open up broader avenues for inquiry.

Given that the graffito was described by at least one person as being in a schoolboy's hand and that the message may have been rather closer to the ground than would have been expected from an adult, perhaps it was written by a youngster.

Moreover, graffiti (especially of the easily erased sort) can be part of an ongoing argument by two or more people. A writes something, B responds, A comes back at B and . . . well, sounds a lot like these Boards.

And if the infamous graffito had only been a part of an ongoing debate (possibly by youngsters, who would find the public-yet-private aspect exciting) that could explain a few things. For one, it could account for the small size of the writing and also the seeming vagueness of the message if it were a response to, say, "The Jews can be blamed for everything!"

Unfortunately, PC Long was new to that beat so he would have no idea if the graffito were the last in a series and while one would expect the police to ask the regular man on the beat or the building's residents if there had been repeated messages posted there . . . well, they couldn't even get one correct version of the wording and spelling.

Just a thought or two.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2692
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey Don,

i'm certainly edging towards the idea that it was written by aschoolboy (and before anyone asks no that doesnt mean i think a schoolboy was JtR!). To me that would make the most sense.

But I'm no graffitti expert - so hey!

Jennifer

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 643
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

But I'm no graffitti expert - so hey!
So you're not the one who has been spraypainting all Leicestershire with "GO CITY, JENNI P!!!"

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 492
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Then a know-it-all takes it upon himself to send in a article to the local paper explaining that the second word,"babe" really said "baba" and that "baba" is a Slavic [ Ukrainian} word meaning "woman" . The writer theorizes that some Ukrainian is behind the message and therefore the murders,also adding that Ukrainians he has known weren't that good at spelling. "

You know, How, a thought just occurred to me, and of course it's a wild guess...but one thing prompting RDS to write could have been that he - and he alone - knew the newspapers were incorrectly reporting what he'd written on the wall....
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sort of like that BTK guy...ego a bit ruffled...sees others like the Zodiac getting full props and his "message" being downplayed...or misinterpreted....and he wants to know if there was a misinterpretation...

Yes sir...not a bad idea at all.

D. M. R.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Moreover, graffiti (especially of the easily erased sort) can be part of an ongoing argument by two or more people. A writes something, B responds, A comes back at B and . . . well, sounds a lot like these Boards."

>>To the higher glory of what illiterate swine are these words pronounced? What empirical evidence exists to establish this saying true? SWINE! SWINE!

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 684
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 7:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look what I found on the door jamb this afternoon whilst taking a tour with Rob Clack and Christian Jaud. It was on the correct door and the correct side (though obviously not inside).

All right, which one of you did it?

juwes

Hardly 'perfectly rounded schoolboy hand', is it?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 894
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A HA !!!

The JULES are the men...

I knew it...I just knew that Rosenthal was behind this....

Never trusted that guy anyway......

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 691
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry How. That is simply a badly done 'W' - though I can see how you might view it as an 'L'.

Wish you were here?

PHILIP

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 874
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

No, can't you see, this is an amazing discovery! The original Graffito found at last! You should make a book out of it and find experts to give psych profiles based upon the handwriting (and have people read tea leaves while you are at it). You could be a gazillionaire!

Or at least that seems to be some authors' strategies anyway...
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 707
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 4:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did actually take out the relevant brick, Dan. Unfortunately it got smashed by a careless baggage handler. However...

The mitochondrial DNA found in the scratches show conclusively that Mary Pearcey married Fred Abberline after her execution and that consequently Annie Crook is actually an alias for George Chapman (AKA James Kelly).

PHILIP

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,
thats very confusing, you need to expand it into a book

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my momma taught me better than that."

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 708
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have Jenni.

It is called JACK THE RIPPER : PORTRAIT OF THE FINAL DIARY AND 100 YEARS OF THE PSYCHIC BELL TOWER MYSTERY.

Catchy, eh?

PHILIP

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

very catchy.

I wish I had a copy in front of me mate!

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my momma taught me better than that."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.