Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through February 23, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Confusing Britishisms and Other Conundrums » Archive through February 23, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 665
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oi!!

Don't ruffle my feathers Monty boy!!

Actually I'm a Maidonian as I live in Maidenhead which is in Berkshire, which is actually pronounced "BARK-SHEER". So no berks here matey!!

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 745
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

Darling, Im only teasing you Sweetie. I mean no offence.

MAIDENHEAD you say ??

Oh it gets better !

Bark sheer ? No Berks but plenty of Canines ??

I thought Maidenhead was Kent. Whats in Kent that sounds like Maidenhead ?

Feathers ruffled yet Babes ?

Monty
:-)

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

Ah! But the term "berk" as a derogatory term for a person comes from the rhyming slang "Berkley Hunt" for.... well I'll let you work that one out yourselves.

Also the famous football club Leicester City is pronounced:

Les - ter Cit - ee Nil

Cheers, Mark

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
you can't imagine how satisfying it is for a German somehow to watch native speakers wonder about the pronunciation of their mother tongue ;-)

The Classics for Germans to pronounce wrongly in my experience are

Leicester (where indeed many would say Li-cest-er)
preface (pre-face like in "face")
predetermine (pre-detter-myne)
predator (pre-dater like in "date", even TV-announcers get that wrong)

Christian

P.S.: An US tourist asked me once why they call that Bavarian city "Munich" while the original German name is different.
I said "Say "München"
He said "Munshen"
I said "Now you know!

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 667
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christian,

But preface is pronounced as you said pre-face.

Monty,

I know you're just joshing with me sweetie.

Maidenhead is nowhere near Kent. I think you're thinking of Maidstone. Maidenhead is in Berkshire between Reading and Slough and right near the border with Buckinghamshire as Marlow and High Wycombe are also nearby.

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 746
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Par-doh !

And County are where in the Nationwide league ? ....and they've signed my Showaddywaddy ex teammates son ?

Mmmmmm....hardly the position to be witty from !!!

Monty

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,
not to my knowledge.

preface is prounced something like "prefiss" (don't know how to write it).
Ah, me correcting a native. Where are the trumpets, the drums? ;-))

regards
Christian

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 674
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christian,

Are you sure you're not thinking of a particular part on the UK because I've never heard anybody pronounce it as "prefiss". It is definitely pronounced "preface" as it looks.

Sarah

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah,

well, all I can say is, that preface (meaning a foreword in a book) is pronounced "prefiss". I was told so by a Brit, and my dictionary CD-ROM with voice output says so as well.

So, yes, I am sure.
But I'm even surer that sooner or later someone here will confirm this or the other version.

Have to go for now

Christian

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've heard both pronunciations, but the only people I've actually heard use "pref-iss" are stodgy art-history intellectuals, where as most of the regular, run-of-the-mill, schlubs I know pronounce it just as it looks: "pre-face".

Sometimes for fun I will pronounce it preff-iss, in the same way I will use the British pronunciations for "privacy" and "urine", they being "Priv-acy" to rhyme with "give" whereas we rhyme it with "alive" . . . and urine is just too funny for words. "you're-ine" to our "yur-in"

Ah, what a funny funny world. Now, if you'll give me some priv-acy I would like to go to the loo to relieve . . . well, you get the picture.

Kris

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 676
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christian,

Well, I'm also very sure that it's pronounced "preface". I'm not trying to argue but I am English and I have used this word quite often and heard it said often and never have I heard it pronounced how you say. If I try hard it sound almost like a Scottish saying the word or a northener of some sort but I'm only guessing.

I also know what a preface is and have used and heard it used in the correct way too.

In England, some words are pronounced differently depending on where you live so maybe in some part of the UK it is how you say it but I've never heard. Maybe it's American English, I don't know, I'm just trying to work out why your CD-ROM would pronounce it differently to how we say it.

Sarah

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Christian & Sarah,

Christian is in fact correct in his pronunciation of the word preface, however it has to be said that many people today would pronounce the word as Sarah does. This is simply an example of correct english v every day spoken english.

I have just checked in Chambers Dictionary which says that it is pronounced pref' is.

Best Regards,
John Savage

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, everyone

I'm afraid Christian has got it right--check a dictionary (American or English). The correct pronunciation is "pref-is". It might sound kind of ritzy, but people are only using correct pronunciation.

Like Sarah, I hear "pre-face" when I come across the word in a book, but it's a word that doesn't come up often in conversation (at least not mine, unfortunately). I think we should change the spelling--it's not oriface, is it? Prefice, that's what it should be!

Cheers,
Dave

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 677
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks John & Dave. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be pronounced then, I've honestly never checked. I've only ever pronounced it as "preface" but that's only because I've heard others pronounce it as such.

Sarah

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are lots of words like that. "Forte" is actually supposed to be pronounced "fort", but nobody does, and you'd sound like an idiot if you did.
"Writing isn't my fort."
"Sorry, it isn't your WHAT?"
"My FORT!"
Useless. Also not many people pronounce February as "Feb-roo-ary", although it is meant to be. And in Canada and the U.S. the word "schedule" is almost always pronounced as "skedge-oo-al" . . .

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris,

You are correct. "February" is pronounced "FEB-U-AIRY" and "forte" is pronounced "FOR-TAY", at least that's how people usually pronounce them.

I just looked at the Cambridge dictionary and "forte" is pronounced "FOR-TAY" as I said in England but in the US it is supposed to be "FORT", very odd.

I'm sure there are other examples.

Sarah

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, no one answered me. Am I correct in pronouncing Marylebone as "Mar-luh-bun"?

Preface is pronounced "PREF-iss" in the US when used as either a noun or verb. What would be the alternative, "PREE-fiss" or "Pre-FACE"?

Forte is pronounced "fortay" in the US, though I have also heard that the correct pronunciation should be "fort."

Then there "address." When used as a verb it is always "uh-DRESS." When used as a noun can be either "uh-dress" or "ADD-ress."

Americans have difficulty with the German -ch, tending to pronounce it as if it were -ck. Also the French -r (which is pronounced in the back of the throat). We also don't quite know what to do with those umlauts since we don't have them.

Andy S.

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy,

"Marry-le-bon"...thats the way I says it.

Forte can also be pronounced "Forty" as in the number.

And address is "where do you live Darling ?"

To which the reply is "sort of over there".

Monty (Mon-teh)

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 686
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy,

Marylebone is pronounced "MAR-LE-BONE" or at least that's how I've heard it.

It's strange how I've never heard anyone pronounce preface as "PREF-ISS". Every time I've heard it they pronounced it "PRE-FACE".

I have difficulty with german words too but french and spanish are easy accept the rolling of the "r" in spanish as I can't do that.

Sarah

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Interesting. I've heard that the pronunciation "Mary-le-bon" is a mark of an ignorant American tourist!

We Americans do like to stay on "skedjull" rather than on "shedooall." We also do experiments with "alum-i-num" in the "lab-ra-tor-y." We also frequent the washroom or restroom rather than the WC or the loo. We do also frequent the "bar" or "tavern", but rarely the "pub." When there we ask for a "beer" never knowing whether we will receive a "pint" or a fraction thereof. There was a place I used to go, however, where I could order a yard of ale.

And every American knows that a billion is 1,000,000,000 not 100,000,000!

Andy S.

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 208
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Andy,

A real billion should be a million million but the American one has now taken over.

I am not surprised you don't use "pub" as that is, as you probably know, short for public house. Although all pubs are now known as such, there was a licencing deference in the meaning. A public house could sell all forms of intoxicating liquor whereas a beer house did not have a spirit licence (which means it could not serve ghosts ).

Cheers, Mark (who went to the Cambridge Blue in Cambridge today and had an excellent pint of Grantham Dark)

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah and everyone,

I think this "preface"-thing is a very good example of language as a constant changing phenomenon.
As a foreigner you mostly learn the "official" versions, the colloquial parts come with contacts to native speakers.
And as a native speaker - even educated and well-read, one is often more "sloppy" in his own language than a foreigner would be, who is keen on using the foreign language as correctly according to the book as possible.

I also found this with British people , who speak a very good German (learned in some Goethe Institute or schools like that), when they hear a sloppy every-day German.

It's getting better now actually, these days the English curricula go into colloquial English as well.

I also used to smile about the US- "Aluminum" instad of "Aluminium". But only until I found out that the original name given to this metal was in fact Aluminum, but that was converted later on to fit into the name-pattern of the elements, where most end on -ium. The US returned to using the original I think in the 20ies.

Viele Grüße

Christian

Mike AnonymousPark
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

"Actually I'm a Maidonian as I live in Maidenhead which is in Berkshire, which is actually pronounced "BARK-SHEER". So no berks here matey!!?"

Hmmmm BARK-SHEER, eh? Well now I know what a CLARK is...same thing as a clerk. Now I know what Bob Cratchet's job title means... ;)

As for the rest of you,

I can certainly identify with the "prefis" of this list, and that things are on "shedooall". That's how we Cannuks in Ontario say things...now my Newfie wife and her family love to end 'a' sufficed words with an 'r'. Even within Canada we can identify what part of Canada, or Ontario, or even what part of the Ottawa Valley you are from by how you say stuff. It's really interesting to see all the other stuff between the Brits and the Americans. I must say, as I stated when I first posted here, we use about 30% US pronunciations, 20% British, 20 % French and make the rest up as we go...

BTW, Cannuks seem much more apt to keep the original pronuciations of non-English words in tact more than either the Brits or the Yanks (especially the French words, for obvious reasons).

For instance, perogies is pronounced "pear-o-hay" and the names Benoit and Robert are normally "ben-wah" and "ro-bear" rather than "ben-oyt" and "robert".

That being said, I still have a problem understanding Parisian French because I'm used to Quebecois (key-bec-wah not que-bec-wahs) or Northern Ontario "franglais" (fran-glay). Funny.

Mike Park(must not have my username yet, so I had to add anon)

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 755
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I can assure you that I’m about as far removed from a stodgy art-history intellectual as it is possible to get and I cringed at Sarah’s pre-face.

It’s prefiss. Don’t let pre-face creep in. It’s almost as bad as seeing ‘nineteen to the dozen’ become the nonsensical ‘ten to the dozen’, and the creeping misuse of words like ‘decimate’ and ‘carnage’ and, worst of all, the horrendous ‘I gave 110%’.

And yur-in is the same as our-in. I think we should all take the e out of pee. Yur-ine should only be used in the humorous context of taking it. IMHO.

I’ve heard people say com-promiss when they mean compromeyes, and a more common one is advert-eyes-ment instead of ad-vertiss-ment.

And how many times have we heard people who say ‘pronounciation’?

And please everyone - Lewisham is Looishum, not Lewis Ham.

And Theydon Bois is pronounced Thaydon Boys. I once made the mistake of pronouncing Bois the French way, only having heard of the place from reading the Tube map, and left an Essex girl friend in tears of laughter.

Here endeth this morning’s lesson.

Love,

Caz

(Message edited by Caz on February 23, 2004)

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope, won't wash. Adver-ties-ment is how it is said in America and Adver-tiss-ment is only said by prissy people trying to sound posh. Considering Brits are definitely lagging behind in proliferation of movies and TV, the American version will soon dominate the world! Mwah-ha-ha. And I have never heard the pronunciation of our-ine for your-in. I don't even think the dictionary has that as an acceptable alternate form.

The problems described with mispronounced words is what comes from teaching pepople to try to read the English language phonetically considering English ain't spelled no such way, no how. If you are only familiar with a word on paper, while you might recognize what it means, you will have no way of knowing how it is pronounced without a dictionary handy, so you are going to pronounce it the way it is spelled and with English that's usually a ghastly mistake.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.