Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Confusing Britishisms and Other Conun... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Confusing Britishisms and Other Conundrums « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through December 02, 2003Chris Scott25 12-02-03  9:44 am
Archive through February 12, 2004Andrew Spallek25 2-12-04  12:24 pm
Archive through February 18, 2004Monty25 2-18-04  12:09 pm
Archive through February 23, 2004Ally25 2-23-04  7:00 am
Archive through February 26, 2004Sarah Long25 2-26-04  5:01 am
Archive through March 24, 2004Bullwinkle25 3-24-04  8:44 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 228
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Bullwinkle,

Just shows how simple minded they are.

Cheers, Mark

Debi Jane French
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A fresh complexion usally means blemish-free. It also can indicate a youthfullness to the skin.

I am English (Buckinghamshire by birth) and am told that I speak 'posh'! But I don't speak like the Queen - I can't say I know anyone who does - except the rest of the Royal Family of course!

I would also use 'in' in the reference to 'murder AT Whitechapel', but the quoted remark does not sound particularly wrong.

Emily Robinson
Police Constable
Username: Emily

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I was in London I begged a guy to explain to me what is meant by "geezer" -- I've heard a lot of people saying it, and from context clues inferred that it is NOT the same meaning as the American version. All he could muster was "...it's not good."

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for the definition of "fresh".

Emily- Knoxville huh? Thats cool....Most people here on the boards are from Europe and Great Britain. Im from Birmingham, Alabama. Welcome to the boards.

Paul

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Emily
Not sure what the American connotation of geezer but it is not that bad in UK. It basically has two meanings:
1) It has been used for ages as general slang meaning a man. Used the much the same as "bloke".
2) More recently it has come to mean a man who exhibits all the traditional (and not always enviable!) male traits. To call someone a geezer is similar to saying "he's a bit of a lad." Someone who likes football, enjoys a drink, goes out with his mates, etc would be a "geezer". There was a comedy show in the UK called "The Fast Show" and as a result of that the word geezer hs also come to mean someone who is on the wrong side of the law but not a dyed in the wool villain, similar to what would at one time have been called "a lovable rogue"
Chris

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debi,

I know what you mean about people saying you're posh. I live in Berkshire and I get called posh by people who don't live around here (especially people from up north).

Bullwinkle,

I'm trying to think of ever hearing the phrase "dreadfully lewd" and I'm coming up with...errmm...never!!

Emily,

Chris is correct. "Geezer" is just what some men are called, the traditionally "laddish" types, into football, beer, etc.

Sarah
Smile and the world .... will wonder what you've been up to.

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jimd

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris, Sarah,

I live in a different part of America than Emily, but in these parts "geezer" is something of a pejorative term, it has the dual connotation of old age and unpleasant personality. You might hear, "oh, pay no attention to that miserable geezer."

Definitely a different meaning on this side of the pond.

Jim

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily,

Round our way Chris Scott would be know as a Diamond Geezer !

Monty
:-)
Our little group has always been and always will until the end...

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim,

I have heard of "miserable old geezer" too but mostly like how Monty said it "diamond geezer". Both opposite of each other in meaning. Bizarre.

Sarah
Smile and the world .... will wonder what you've been up to.

Emily Robinson
Police Constable
Username: Emily

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, thanks for shining some light on that one, everybody.

-Emily

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah,

You want to thank your lucky stars you never met my mother. "Dreadfully lewd" were her exact words to describe any British comedian on the telly who went beyond her own set views on cheeky humour. She tolerated the Carry Ons, and Benny Hill on a good day, but she never took to Chic Murray or Les Dawson. And Jethro would have given her the screaming abdabs.

Ironically, my mother and Les Dawson died on the same day - 10th June 1993 - so she may be having to suffer his jokes and piano playing to this day.

Love,

Caz
X

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 707
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz!
I rest my case here...I was born on June 8th, Mum (long gone ) on the 14th and Dad long gone too on the 18th!! of June....Waterloo Day.....Sometimes too many Geminis can be more than you'd like in a family set up!!
Hope you're ok
Love Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 708
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz........just wanted to say...Go Les tho......just makes me laugh thinking about him! the Cissy and Ada thing still does it.....evry time!!bet yr Mum would ( will) be more than a match tho!! xx
suzi

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys and gals,

One question. How can you have a fresh complexion and have blotches on your face?

Paul

Harry Mann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A conundrum,or I think it is.
Today I was reminded of an old term of speech.'The road to oblivion'.
A person stated he had passed many people on that road,and an observation greatly disturbed him.
In ten seconds,and no cheating,what disturbed him.

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anyone familiar with the slang "in lavender"? I believe it means "hidden from the police", but I was wondering if someone knew the origin of the term.

Thanks,
Dave

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,

Never heard 'in Lavender'.

Ive found 'Laid out in Lavender' which means showing something in its best context. Comes from the practice of laying dead bodies out in lavender to mask the smell.

Also found 'laid up in Lavender' which is to pawn something. Maybe a reference to passing on stolen goods quick smart to a Pawnbroker thus keeping them away from the police. But thats me trying to be logical. I assume the lavender reference is again used as a 'disguise' or 'hidden' as you mention.

Lavender hides the bad smells I guess.

Not so Helpful Monty
Ow, Ive just been doin time Sha-mone....It aint so bad !...I aint no Jack da Ripper - Dr Thomas Neill Cream

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure if its true, but it would seem to go along with what Monty said, in Michael Crichton's "The Great Train Robbery" about the theft of the Crimean gold in (I think) 1855, 'in lavender' meant that the person was dead.

The main character, Pierce, threatens someone at some point that he would "see them in lavender."

Hope that might help.

-K

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this on a website about word and phrase origins:

Laid Out In Lavender

Show something in the best possible light. From the practice of strewing lavender or other strong smelling herbs near dead bodies to mask their smell.

So, Monty scores again!!
Mags

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mags,

So, Monty scores again!!

Oh how I wish !

Monty
Ow, Ive just been doin time Sha-mone....It aint so bad !...I aint no Jack da Ripper - Dr Thomas Neill Cream

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Look upon it as an omen.
Mags

Nina Thomas
Sergeant
Username: Nina

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,
The Victorian slang glossary describes "In Lavender" as:
1) To be hidden from the police
2) To be pawned
3) To be put away
4) To be dead
http://www.tlucretius.net/Sophie/Castle/victorian_slang.html

Mags,
"So, Monty scores again!!" Dosn't he always?

Monty,
Mags said "Look upon it as an omen". Be careful what you wish for you may get it.

Nina

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, everybody. Monty, that background and those other terms are particularly helpful! I think I get it now.

Cheers,
Dave

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know this is not a Britishism, strictly, but i can't find anything on it. I am trying to find the origin of the phrase "OK" - simple as that!
1) Should it be "OK" or "Okay"?
2) When was it first used?
3) Is it a set of initials, if so for what?
I cannot believe that the origin of such a common phrase is unknown but am having trouble finding an origin.
Many thanks
Chris

Nina Thomas
Sergeant
Username: Nina

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

The following link explains the origin of "OK".
http://www.wordwizard.com/

Nina

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris-- The origin of OK is shrouded in controversy although the "old Kinderhook" theory seems to be in favor at the moment.

It's one of those mysteries that we'll probably never have the answer to like You Know What.

I find it very interesting that OK is one of the most ubiquitous phrases on the planet and that, in my observation, it's one of the first things little kids learn to say and understand.
Mags

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm pretty sure the current leading answer is "Oll Korrect" believe it or not. Evidently it was quite the fashion at one point to purposefully spell things wrong and make acronyms out of them, and this appears to be the only one to have survived over the years.

I think that's how Cecil Adams of the Straight Dope and various others explain it. You can pop over to http://straightdope.com/ to check it out.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

The origin of OK remains a mystery (and no one on these boards would enjoy a mystery, would they?) but style books are in agreement that the correct form, at least, is OK.

OK?

Don.

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

I have only ever heard the explanation that Dan Norder put forward.

-K

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"OK" has a German origin. The two letters are the initials of an astute German inspector of some kind. His name was something like "Otto Kuk" or perhaps "Otto Kook." He would initial work if it passed his inspection, and that is where the word originated.

David

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Otto Kook must have been a massively influential man for his every remark to have trickled down into the modern lexicon, yet one cannot even find a single entry in Google about him.

Curious.

-K

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris,
From what I've read, there are about a thousand explanations for the origin of "ok", but many of them seem to be popular stories concocted well after its appearance. Check out the straight dope site that's pointed out above, as it debunks some of them {including the Otto Kuk story, related as Oscar Kent in other versions}. Ultimately though, the absolute is very difficult to prove as far as word origins. There may well be a case for "ok" having appeared close to simultaneously in different parts of the world. Also, it may well have become popular in different regions for different reasons. In other words, pick an explanation you like. It's hard to prove or disprove!
Kelly

"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

According to Cecil Adams, as referenced by Dan above, "OK" was "the result of a fad for comical abbreviations that flourished in the late 1830s and 1840s." I had heard that it specifically derived from President Andrew Jackson, the hero of New Orleans, who, partly illiterate, would annotate official documents with the abbreviation "OK" meaning that he had found the information "oll korrect."

However, it turns out I may not be oll korrect. According to Words at Random:

'One of the most enduring theories involves Andrew Jackson, who was a notoriously poor speller. It was said that he spelled "all correct" either "ole kurrek" or "oll korrect" or "orl kerrect" and abbreviated it OK. None of these theories can be supported with documented proof.'

They conclude: 'What is probably the most common American expression, one now known throughout the world and adopted into other languages, had its origin in the fortuitous combination of faddish word play and the need for a catchy campaign slogan [i.e., Old Kinderhook, OK, the campaign slogan the Democratic OK Party backing Martin Van Buren in 1840].'

Best regards

Chris George

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about "snupellage?" As in: "I didn't get down to Brighton on holiday this year because of all the snupellage." What do the Brits mean by this?

David

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho David,

We mean nothing by "snupellage", well I mean nothing as I have never heard this word used (although they do do some bizarre things in Brighton).

Cheers, Mark

spymaster
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, if you ever have to host Americans for a dinner, the following is a must
Main course: Faggotts and veg
Dessert: Spotted Dick
As served to the American military in Iraq when they visited us.
Their faces were a picture as they were offered a nice juicy faggott to suck on ;)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.