Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through February 08, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Crime Scenes /Colour and Reconstructions » Archive through February 08, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jane
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 7:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
By george I think I've got it right at last! Well nearly. I'm not quite finished with the back yard yet! There is another idea I'm playing with. It's quite exciting. Maybe Ron the Don was right, maybe I should get a life if I get turned on by a few crumbling bricks and and old fence!

Hi Paul,

I promise I am going to do Berner Street with the Swartz goings on, but I am going to have to re read the witness reports like 3 million times to get it right, because I could never make head nor tail of what was going on. Hopefully if I can get it right, some other poor souls out there that have been struggling will be able to get a good nights sleep at last!

Hi Diana,

That's a good point. I only wondered though whether he would have had room to work if she was that tight against the fence? Not being gruesome or anything - well I am - he wouldn't have had much elbow room. She would literally have been pushed right up against the fence wouldn't she? Be interesting to see exactly, because Richardson's testimony is very important in the scheme of things. I'd be very interested to see what you can make of the post mortem picture.

Hi Robert,

I know Mary's leg's were raised but the feet not flat on the bed. Polly's leg's were flat out, Liz if you count her were flattish I think, so were Catharine's, although a little elevated I think due to the angle of the legs. I'll go back and do a comparison I think and post it up, nothing clever, just the victims on a plain background with the postions they were in as close as I can get them, on one sheet so that they can be compared. I reckon I can get that done quite quickly. I would find it useful so maybe others would too.

Thanks for all the thoughts

love

Jane

xxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hutchie -

"'Blooming' isn't a swear word, so you didn't have to put in the asterisk.
'F***' is a swear word though."

I know, you rascal, I just wasn't sure how to spell it, so therefore I put in the asterisk. :-)

Ah yes, swearing words... if you only knew my repertoir... I'll teach you some Swedish ones at the Conference in October.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane!

I am so sorry!
I browsed back to the previous page in this thread, and suddenly noticed that I have completely missed to of your pictures:
The night scene from Buck's Row (Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:44 pm)
and the picture with Eddowes and the killer in Mitre Square.

Those are super!!!!
I just love them.
That night scene from Buck's Row must be one of your absolute best -- just look at the window lights in the Board School (?); absolutely beautiful and atmospheric. I could have that framed on my wall.

And the rendering of Eddowes and the killer in Mitre Square is very intriguing, and the persons very convincing. It really evokes the imaginations.

Really good work and I have absolutely nothing to comment on them.

I am so sorry I didn't notice them before. Please forgive me.
You are not only keeping yourself busy, but us as well. :-)

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3011
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jake,

Thanks for your interesting contributions.
As a person being terribly afraid of heights, that last picture was really convincing. What 3D software do you use?
As for the registration, as far as I understand, the reason for this is that Stephen wants to print out and sign a paper where we accept the rules of conduct -- probably because of less positive experiences on the old Boards. I agree that it is a bit of a pain, but I think it all went surprisingly smooth and fast, at least for em and I live in Sweden. Took less than a week.

I would surely recommend you to register and I have no doubt your contributions will be valuable and welcome, from the looks of it.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I've just finish Bucks Row.

Hi Jake

I second what Glenn said, thats some very good stuff your doing.

I don't know if you have seen these pictures of Mitre Square.

St James Passage entrance

Church Passage

I can't help you with 'Philips & Bisiker', I'm afraid. But it would seem unlikely they occupied one of the empty houses as they were residential houses.

I've been looking for photos of Church Passage from Duke Street myself. I haven't had any luck yet. I believe the bridge is 20th Century myself. It would have been marked on an Ordnance Survey map if it was earlier.

I haven't seen any photos of the Aldgate side of Mitre Square, but I am always on the look out.

All the best

Rob

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
Jane,
the last one of AC in Hanbury St seems to be right-and very it is helpful too.Congratulations on what was clearly a tricky
reconstruction.

Rob,
--great one that-- you have enhanced it so realistically!The two women chatting look as though they were chatting there a day or so ago!

Jake,
I"m looking forward to more of these---so far they look first rate!

Natalie

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all this was a pic I took years ago with a view to a painting...its very dark i know but shows someone scurrying into Mitre Sq..Great image I thought

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this should give you better and less disturbing view!!

Suzi

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh my word!

Where do I start? I've only been gone a few hours and all hell breaks loose!

First of all, hello unregistered guests, thank you for your encouragement and comments, slapping bricks onto a screen can be a bit boring without some incentive!

I am going to do all angles of all the crime scenes eventually, definitely Mitre Square and I am starting to find my feet there, thanks to all the help everyone has given me. If I was a tour guide, they would all end up in Wapping!

Thanks for that coloured photo Dr Orloff, very helpful. It gives me a good idea of colouring and another source for those other angles that Kate wants.

Hi jake,

Don't know where to start..... Those 3D reconstructions are really terrific so far. I use Bryce and Poser a lot, but nothing like to your standard. What programme do you use? You're obviously blooming good at it! I can't wait to see the finished results.

Almost all of the pictures I've got are low res and come from web sites, so can't help there.

As far as I know there are no photos or views from the other end of Church passage, because I've been after them and they don't seem to exist.

Registering by post is really easy and Stephen gets back very quickly. Go on, download the form and register now! We need you.

Hi Robert,

That is a korker. It's a view I haven't seen before and a brilliant job as always. It's a good angle too. Do you know what year it was taken? Keep them coming, I'm starting to flag, you can do them faster than I can! Well done.

Natalies right though, seeing those people in colour makes it yesterday, a bit scary really, it stops being an exercise and starts being real.

Suzi, what can I say, the first one did worry me a bit, I thought I was going blind, but that second shot is great. it would make a terrifc painting. Go to work girl! I got a very strange e-mail from you, (well actually they're all stange) I'm sure it made sense to you! I'll give you a ring soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lots of love to all

Jane

xxxxxx

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 464
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

It's another one of Leonard Matters, taken about 1928.
The ones I do, don't have many variations in colour(mostly browns), so should only take a couple of days to do, also the condition of the original photo helps.
Dorset Street was a real b'stard. I might give it another go, I have a slightly better pic but it is not as wide. So I might try and join the two.

Anyway I am trying to think of new superlatives to describe your work, there fabulous.

All the best

Rob

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob, Jane and Jake,

(Gawd.. I want to sing the Rainbow song here!)

Just to say, great going, all of you, and thank you for bringing so much life into the Whitechapel that is (sadly) long gone. You're all three of you amazing!

Bestest,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 4:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all just looked back at that 2nd pic and the flashy bit at the bottom right looks like a reflection of the tip of a blade!! (in the cold grey light of morning anyway!) Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm right am off on one I think!
Jane strange?Oh god was it.....hey ho!!! sorry!!!..have this very strange twin who posts here on occasion!!! :-)
See ya all later

Suzi xx

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys
These colour ones are interesting - I was sent ages ago a colour holiday pic taken ages ago (before the K&T demolition) of someone in Mitre Square which gives the colour of the brickwork. I would credit this pic but cannot trace who sent it to me or where it came from - I cannot personally verify that this was taken in Mitre square but that is definitely what I was told
All the best
Chris
colmit

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi
I took the liberty of working on a grayscale version of your pic which shows a little more detail
All the best
Chris

pgs

Kate Evans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 1:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane, this is such a truly helpful idea. There's nothing like a truly authentic looking crime scene, for getting the imagination going, and snapping out of rusty ideas.
With regard to your Hanbury Street, the mystery back yard of all mystery back yards, in some respects, the positioning of the fence is a little irrelevant, so it's nothing to worry about.
I would LOVE for you to give us an overview of Mitre Square from several angles.
Thanks so much to the resident research assistant!

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris - the shot you were sent is definitely 100% Mitre Square. No doubt whatsoever - you can even see the small blue plaque saying it was the site of the Priory of the Holy Trinity which is still affixed to the low wall which is there today. This is the top of the square - Church Passage is just off-shot on the right.

Jane - yep, Hanbury Street doors are normal height (about 6.5') and I checked the walls of the Sir John Cass Foundation School last night. There are indeed no doors on the passage and the stonework is nothing like the shots on here or the one I e-mailed you. I know the school is 18th Century, but I am wondering if the current red building is a recent one, or if it has been entirely reclad. Robert Clack, we need you...

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,
I think the school dates back to 1905[or the early years of the 20th century].I am pretty sure there is a plaque saying so on the building itself although I may be wrong on this.This week end I"ll look it up if someone hasnt done so before me...
Nats

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

Thanks for checking for me, I bet people thought you were mad going round staring at all the doors and standing on tip toe!

I'm doing another Hanbury back yard using the illustration with the covers in, because I think that is the most accurate and contemporary with the murder, (apart from that stupid fence). Did you notice that there were two windows on the ground floor instead on the big one? I wonder if they put that one in at the same time they did the shop front to bring in more light. I do think that illustration is closer to the original than any of the photos, because the front street scene is the most accurate and why would he get one right and not the other. I'll stick it up tomorrow and I'd be interested in the comments.

love to all, and thanks for your comments Kate.

Hope you're feeling better Suzi.

xxxxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris
Thanks for that its great!
it was only when I looked back at the 2nd one this morning that I saw that blade thing.......Definately got to get to work on that one....your re working will be a great help.thanks again!

Jane-
Feeling better??? Nuttin wrong....yet!!!!!

Suzi xx

Harry Mann
Police Constable
Username: Harry

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 4:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane's photo of Buck's row on a snowy day.Snowy Day

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

Harry mailed me yesterday and asked if I minded him putting this up. I am totally speechless with admiration. Harry it's blooming incredible!!!!!!!!

I sat all day yesterday waiting for you to post it and kept checking back in. It was well worth the wait. I tried desperately to put some rain over Dutfield's yard and it looked as if my cat had got at it!

Anyone out there that uses Photoshop will know that this is practically impossible to achieve realistically. With your permission Harry that is going on my wall! I love it!!!!!!!

Wouldn't it make a great christmas card?
Bit morbid though.......

Please post some more Harry, and you too Robert, you've gone very quiet lately.........

Once again Harry, well done. You are excused tea making duties indefinitely as long as you keep posting pics!

Lots of Love

xxxxxxxx

Jane

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry me being a pain again everyone,
I posted this originally on the Stride thread, but it got lost. Can anyone help? I can't do the Swart reconstruction without you.......!!!!!

I was rereading the Swartz testimony again for this wretched reconstruction. Something really disturbed me in it.

Swartz 'saw a man stop and speak to a woman who was standing in the gateway.'
All well and good.

They must have been standing on the far side of the gateway for Swartz to have seen them, unless he could see round corners, as he was walking along the road. No problem so far. Then.....

Swartz says the man tried to pull the woman into the street, but that 'he turned her round' and threw her down on the footway and the woman screamed three times but not very loudly.

Now maybe I'm going crackers, but if someone is talking with someone they are usually at least half facing each other. Why did Mr BS turn Liz around before throwing her down to the ground?

As far as I recall the bruises were on the front of her shoulders, which means she was pushed from the front. If he turned her round, she would have had her back to him when she was thrown down. That doesn't seem very likely to me. (It didn't look right either when I tried it that way. It looked daft)

If he had to turn her around, could that mean that she was actually trying to go back into the yard?

He was trying to pull her into the street, if she didn't want to go, her natural reaction would have been to turn away from him and either go into the yard or walk away from him, in the other direction.

He turned her around so that she was facing the street again and when she still resisted, he pushed her down on the ground in anger.

What do you guys think?

It's something I'd never noticed before.

All the best
Jane

xxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry,

A splendid piece of work! Beautiful.
You should be proud of that.
And I happen to like snow...

Jane,

I am afraid I have no idea about that scenario and what really went on there regarding exact movements and actions. I think it is somewhat unclear in many aspects anyway. Maybe someone else can straighten those question marks out, but for me there is just too little information to be able to analyse that in detail. Sorry.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

Just getting the time, or courage(Take your pick) to do the Britannia photo.

Anyway just sitting back and admiring your work.

All the best

Rob

Phil Hill
Detective Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane - I think what you say about her assailant turning Liz Stride around, makes more sense if Kidney was trying to persuade her to go with him/come home, than for the Ripper.

But that's just an instinctive reaction - no proof.

Your pics are superb as ever. I love them, though I have not had opportunity to comment lately. And they force us to look again at the events that took place there with a new (practical) eye.

Sincerest admiration,

Phil

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,

I think your right on that. This is what makes me think that there is more to this turning around business than meets the eye.

I feel that Mr BS could not really be JtR because it hardly seems likely that he would attract so much attention to himself if he was in the process of committing a murder.

I think that Mr BS could well have been Kidney or possibly someone else with a personal reason for approaching her.

I can't help but think from Swartz's testimony she was trying to walk into the yard or at least away from Mr BS and he didn't want her to go. He was trying to drag her back into the street or at least along with him, got frustrated and pushed her to the ground.

It does seem to make more sense than anything else. I know that this has been debated to death, but I can't remember anyone mentioning the 'turned her around' part of the story.

Thanks for the input though, I think I'm getting closer .

Jane

xxxxxx

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 2:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are a couple of Mitre Square, but the photos were not very good I'm afraid. No reflection on the original photographer, just a bad copy!

This is the view of Mitre Square looking diagonally across from the murder site. This is the view that Catharine would have had, just before she was killed, across the Square. Unless of course there have been changes!!!

mitre night

mitre day

Jane
xxxxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3066
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great stuff, jane.
As always!

Incredible how colour can make it feel like you're really there, isn't it?

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 512
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think Jane's magic involves just an accurate reproduction of the scene. Somehow she manages to include an ambiance or mood. We've all seen lots of pictures, but somehow these are special.

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

Thanks for that, it's funny, but I do 'feel' the scenes somehow, can't explain what I mean, but I think it's because I try to put myself inside the heads of the people that might be in it somewhere, even if you can't see them. When I was doing this, I kept thinking that this was probably the last thing that Catharine saw before she died, apart from her killer of course. It made me sad.
Mitre Square seems so desolate and empty. It's a sort of barren place. When I do them, I am actually standing there, seeing them as I paint.

That's my poetic interlude over. I'll get back to my peanut butter on toast now!

Anyway thanks for saying something so nice about what I do.

Lots of love

Jane

xxxxx

Yes I am a soppy ha'peth. (Short for halfpennyworth in the tongue of my forebears!)

Goodnight all

Harry Mann
Police Constable

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 3:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is an attempt to add rain to a photo already published.A rainy street

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 4:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Harry,

That is so good, even the cardboard box looks wet and soggy! I think you're using the same technique I tried, with one big difference.You made it work beautifully!!!!!!!

That is definitely the East End on a very wet day..... well done you!

Keep them coming, there are a few other weather conditions to go yet!!!!!!!

You wouldn't like to have a go at Dutfield's Yard would you?

Lots of love

Jane

xxxxx

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 6:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Harry and Jane.

You know what is going to be really useful with this one? Harry's raindances going over Jane's Miller's Court exterior shot at night and also, of course, when/if Jane does Castle Alley.

In no way intending to erm... rain on Harry's parade... but I think you'll find Jane that the cardboard box IS wet & soggy - if you look up the street you can see someone around the corner with part of an umbrella, so I think it was raining anyway. What Harry's done is make it LOOK like it is too (in the way that you take a picture in pouring rain and it just looks overcast when it comes out usually).

Rob, Jane & Harry - sort-of 'Rainbow'-ish in an artistic way!!!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

Haven't heard from you in a while, I thought one of your mad tourist's had done you in!

WHEN I DO CASTLE ALLEY!!!!!!! I'm glad you put the 'if' after! Are you trying to finish me off? I haven't done George's yard yet or the other views of Mitre Square......

Alright you win, as long as you can give me shots of it to work from. I will get round to Castle Alley and some of the other crime scenes. I was going to anyway really.......

I'll give you soggy........ that's what I meant Mr Hutchinson and you know it!!!!! Cheeky boy.

I'm still struggling with the Liz and Mr BS. They are done, but it is such a wide angle shot to fit them all in that they look like Barbie and Action man, just little dots flailing about in the distance.

Not quite sure what I'm going to do to make them 'visible' I will think of something.

I'm painting your pic of Tumblety at the moment, what an ugly s*d!

lots of love

Jane

xxxxx}

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3069
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry,

Interesting Photoshop exploration here.
I have tried that effect myself, but i must admit I have never managed to make it work properly.

As the photo in question actually was taken by myself on my London trip in February last year, when I accidently managed to nail Jack the Ripper on camera (and Houdini practising in the cardboard box) I just want to add -- in addition to Hutchinson's remark about umbrellas -- that it totally pissed down that day, and I was completely soaked, so your interpretation comes quite close how things were in general that day, although the rain probably had stopped briefly at the time of the photograph.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

Where is that exactly, I can't place it.....

I'm glad you couldn't make it work properly either, if you tried it the same way I did, it takes a lot of patience and back steps, when it goes a bit wrong! Harry obviously has the touch.

I have got the Liz / Mr BS pictures ready to post, but I've had to use such a wide angle to get all the figures in, they look like Action Man and Barbie having a tussle in the distance!!! I'm not quite sure how to get around it. I'll think of something.

Sorry you got soaked by the way, but it is a great photo.

love

Jane

xxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,

I can't remember the name of the alley, but the pub to the left -- with blue details -- actually do figure in the Riper context, I think in connection with some of the victims.
The pub's name can be read on the sign above the windows, but I can't make anything out of it.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 488
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane, Glenn

The name of the alley is Sandy Row, the photo you took Glenn is the northern end, it also extends southward and joins Middlesex Street.
The pub on the left is the 'Kings Stores' and as far as I am aware has no Ripper connection. There was (I'm not sure if it is still there) a sign outside saying "Jack the Ripper, last seen here 1888". I don't think that had any connection with the pub, but the pub was on the corner with Widegate Street, and that was where Mrs Paumier was selling Chestnuts on the day of Mary Kellys murder. A man came up to her and said "I suppose you have heard about the murder in Dorset Street?" she replied she had. The man grinned and said "I know more about it than you do" and walked off down Sandys Row.

Rob

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

Yep. Sandys Row and "King's Stores"... that's it.
Coming back to me now. Thanks.

"...but the pub was on the corner with Widegate Street, and that was where Mrs Paumier was selling Chestnuts on the day of Mary Kellys murder. A man came up to her and said "I suppose you have heard about the murder in Dorset Street?" she replied she had. The man grinned and said "I know more about it than you do" and walked off down Sandys Row."

Aaaah yes, Rob, that was it (not in direct connection with any of the victims, of course)!
I think it was some London website that said that this incident happened outside the pub, and I found out by accident -- correct or not -- after I had gotten home. I just took the photo because I liked the atmosphere there.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Harry Mann
Police Constable

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 3:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the encouraging comments,and Glen I should have acknowledged it was your original rainy day photo.Adding rain was the easier part.
I am going to attempt to add rain to Jane,s Berner St photo,but it will be a day or two's time,as I am rather busy at present.

Harry Mann
Police Constable

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 4:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did a quick job on Jane's berner St photo.Not perfect by any means,but might give an idea of the heavy rain that fell the night of strides killing.Rainy night

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 5:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry,

Every time I come to this thread I start shivering...... I feel like rushing and putting my wellies on!!!!! I can just imagine trying to brace myself against that lashing rain and ducking inside a doorway to keep dry.

You can almost see it splashing up from the puddles at the bottom on the picture. And I don't know if it's something you've done or if it's an accident, but I can see a reflection of the buildings in the water on the road. And as I did the original Philip, there are no soggy cardboard boxes so don't even think it!!!!!

I have just noticed though that the door is open on the corner shop, so I think they might have had burglars, or maybe JtR nipped in there to hide! I think I better close it when I tidy the picture up.

Well done Harry. I'm going to send you my electricity bill though.

love Jane

xxxxx

Harry Mann
Police Constable

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 2:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,
It was a good background to work with as was Glen's photo.
The reflection was placed there to give the illusion of a wet road,but it had to be very subtle.A little bit of noise to finish off.
Will send you the steps I used if you wish.

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 4:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Harry,

Yes please, I would be really grateful. If you would like any from me, please feel free. It's amazing the bits of useless information you pick up along the way!

If you would e-mail me the info I'll have a go on Dutfield's Yard.

Thanks

Jane
xxxxx

I bet quite a few people reading that are going to wonder what 'noise' meant. Marching band? Hooligans throwing beer cans? Shall we tell them?

Joan Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry, that's such a lovely picture, full of memories at a glance.

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Just finished George Yard Buildings.

Rob

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 6:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice one Robert,

I thought you'd gone a bit quiet! It really brings it to life and you've done a great job on it as ever.

How old is that picture? I don't think it matters too much, because it doesn't appear to have changed at all and if anyone would know that it's you! At least we know that it's totally accurate if you did it!
The interior staircase I think might have to be reconstructed, because the only pictures I've seen are a contemporary sketch, courtesy of Philip I think and a 1960's photo. (Unless you know of any others?????)

Are there any more of George Yard buildings you are going to do? I've been avoiding them, but as you've done such a grand job...........

Big grin

love

Jane

xxxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3089
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great piece of work, Rob.
I never noticed there was some sort of iron gate until now.

Very nice colours.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes,excellent Rob, its one of the sites I have difficulty picturing -lovely tones and colouring too.
Natsx

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 492
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 7:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane, Glenn, Natalie

The photo I believe was taken by William Stewart about 1938.
There are not that many of George Yard Buildings. There is another one of the entrance taken about 1970, but that was more closer to the entrance. The only other ones I know are the ones taken by Stewart Evans in 1967. Philip posted one on the 'Pictures of Whitechapel' thread. They are a bit difficult to colour as they are quite dark.
I think you are right about the staircase Jane, it needs to be reconstructed from scratch.
The iron gate is hard to see, I never knew there was one there until I saw the close up photo. I looked closely in the 1938 photo and could just make it out, so I just made it a bit more clearer.

All the best

Rob

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.