Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Crime Scenes /Colour and Reconstructions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Crime Scenes /Colour and Reconstructions « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 10, 2005Glenn L Andersson50 1-10-05  4:56 pm
Archive through January 13, 2005Suzi Hanney50 1-13-05  5:14 am
Archive through January 14, 2005Phil Hill50 1-14-05  8:15 am
Archive through January 14, 2005George Hutchinson50 1-14-05  5:38 pm
Archive through January 15, 2005Paul Jackson50 1-15-05  11:59 pm
Archive through January 17, 2005Diana 50 1-17-05  11:08 am
Archive through January 19, 2005George Hutchinson50 1-19-05  9:58 am
Archive through January 22, 2005thomas schachner50 1-22-05  12:59 pm
Archive through January 25, 2005Natalie Severn 50 1-25-05  2:53 am
Archive through January 28, 2005Robert Charles Linfo50 1-28-05  4:56 am
Archive through February 08, 2005Robert Clack50 2-08-05  7:06 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Mann
Sergeant
Username: Harry

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 4:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,
Will send details later.
Joan,
I guess you might have been in London at sometime.I now live in Australia,but I still love a rainy day.Glen had the foresight to take a photo in inclement weather.Very few people do that,mores the pity.

Joan Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob, I wondered whether you might be able to tell me where that George Yard Building picture is to be found. I have been leafing through everything trying to find it.
Your reconstructions are really helpful; personalised and full of memories. We probably all bump into each other in Whitechapel. God I miss the place today, and can't wait for the Spring.
(Does anyone feel the same ?)
}It's really interesting to see the little nooks and crannies where the prostitutes used to take their men for a 'knee wobbler'. The women in the J t R story all went to the same types of nooks and crannies. The Yards etc.

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your threads are the first I look at every time, Jane. Wonderful.

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 5:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Joan,

Thank you for the kind words.

The photo of 'George Yard Buildings' is from Phillip Sugden's book 'The Complete History of Jack the Ripper'. The same photo is also in some earlier editions of Donald Rumbelows book, the most recent it was in, is the 1987 hardback.
There is also a copy in 'The East End Then and Now' by Winston G. Ramsey. That book is a bit expensive but well worth it if you are interested in the East End as there are hundreds of old photos of the East End (even some of the nook and crannies).

All the best

Rob

Harry Mann
Sergeant

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 3:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Morning mist in Buck's Row

Harry Mann
Sergeant

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 3:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mist in Berner St

Jane Coram
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI everyone,

sorry I've been so long posting anything, but I've been busy on the book, got a few to post now though......

this isn't a crime scene exactly, but it does give a flavour of the area...
Here's one of the Brittania...it's a bit of a 'Where's Wally' but gives the idea of how crowded it was..........

Brittania
lots of love

Jane

xxxxx

Jane Coram
Inspector

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI All,
Here's one of Hanbury Street back yard as it is more likely to have looked at the time of the murder......can't guarantee it of course, but the drawing I found does seem to ring true, because if you look at the later photo there are vestigies of the canopy's shown on the brick work, in the form of holes in the appropriate places.......I can't imagine that the artist would have made them up anyway, that would not seem to make much sense........

I think the fence being wrong in the drawing might be quite easy to explain........

apparently the fence that was there on the day of the murder was a temporary one and it would seem likely that in that case, the police might have taken it down to make it easier to get to the crime scene.

When the artist went to do this drawing there was no actual fence there and he just made one up, having been told that there had been one there the day before......hence the totally wrong fence in the drawing.

Obviously the one that is shown in the photos is a later fence that was erected after the crime scene had been fully investigated........

Just my idea, maybe someone has got the true explanation out there..anyway here is the source drawing and the finished illustration.....

source hanbury

Jane
xxxxxx

(Message edited by jcoram on March 04, 2005)

Jane Coram
Inspector

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hanbury correct

Restless Spirit
Sergeant
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
My compliments to all who have submitted pictures and or Drawings. It sure gives a feel of realness, one can now visualize the events that took place in the various locations.It is particularly helpful to me and others like me who have never been to the UK. I think the pictures posted here live (so to speak) gives new meaning to the dangereous lifestyle of these ladies, especially all those years ago.
Great Job to all
all my best
Restless Spirit

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane - both are superb. I love what you've done with the famous Commercial Street shot especially - it looks now like one of those sophisticated Edwardian postcards that were hand coloured!

I agree totally about the basement canopy. I think the Illustrated Police News from the time shows the canopy too, though the drawing you have is from the 1903 Harold Furniss.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jane Coram
Inspector

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

Thanks for that info, have you or anyone else got a pic of the one from the Illustrated Police News that you mention I would love to see it and perhaps do another version from that......

Lots of love

Jane

xxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3224
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 7:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,

Great stuff as usual.
By the way, have you tried putting in that canopy on that daylight picture you first made of the Hanbury Street yard (based on a photo)? Could be interesting.
Nice atmosphere in this night scene.

I agree with Hutch regarding the Commercial Street shot; that was my initial reaction as well, that it really had the feel of those hand-tinted postcards to it. I have always liked that effect.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Jane Coram
Inspector

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are the views of Mitre Square from Neil Bell's article in the latest edition of Ripperologist, which he was kind enough to post on the other thread.........( very good article by the way )

These are a slightly lightened version so that it is easier to see the lay out of the Square, but it would have actually been darker than this on the night of Kate's murder.....

church passage

mitre corner

James passage

Love to all

Jane

xxxxx

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Janey, Janey, Janey baby.

Spot on. SPOT ON!!!

I was only there a few hours ago and never before have I seen pictures of it that I can place so closely to what I see today. The closest thing to a time machine we are going to get I think!

PHILIP
x
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 4:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil,

Fantastic arent they?

I like the bollards glisterning in the last picture towards St James Passage.

Jane managed to get across exactly what I was looking for.

Cant stop looking at 'em !!!!

Monty
:-)

PS With you Bro.
I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh? I'm here to f**kin' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?

David Knott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 5:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a fantastic thread. Brilliant work Jane. I can't believe I've only just stumbled across it all.

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3382
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed, Hutch and Monty (hmmm... sounds like a train robbery duo),

Incredible atmosphere and time machine feeling, isn't it. Can't stop looking at them either.

All the best
G. Andersson, author/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 6:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane!!!!

Theyre F A B !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love em think we should get a merge done ..here ..over the present day sights! wow what a thought!

Suzixxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,
I have just commented on the way your brilliant illustrations so aptly fit the subject matter of the Neil Bell article [on the thread you refer to above]. Embedded within the context of the research it can be even more clearly seen what a perfect gift they are to the quest!
Nats
xxxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane

Have emailed the merge King ..Greg and seeing what we (he!!!!) could do
We'll see eh come on make me smile!

Suzi xx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thats me at the mo........come on Jane,Nats,Lyn Glenn and Greg!! make me or at least
Suzi xxxxxxxxx

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.