Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through January 25, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Crime Scenes /Colour and Reconstructions » Archive through January 25, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 449
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 1:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie, Thomas

Natalie, the photo is one of Leonard Matters taken a few days before demolition. I tried to match the colours with the buildings in Fournier Street, as they are fairly similar.

All the best

Rob

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW Rob! Excellent work here. Really nice colouring up and totally convincing.

I think the issue with the size of Ripper's Corner is that it previously curved out a bit more on the side towards the John Cass Foundation School and now it is flat against the corner of the square; in short, the PAVEMENT (sorry - sidewalk to our American friends! ) has receded since then, so if anything CE would be further INTO the current Mitre Square (anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about, WINSTON G RAMSEY's 'The East End Then & Now' (which is a super HUGE book) has an outline of where he thought CE was found in the current Mitre Square, and he's placed her too far back in our opinion).

Glenn : Please allow me to finish. What I was TRYING to say before you so rudely interrupted, was you smell LOVELY.

And coming from Sweden, you should know very well that YOUR elves are called Tomte. I toured a kid's Xmas show for 5 years and at one point we were playing such Tomte - though I had an Irish accent (Mishter Lusk).

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Jane
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Sorry wasn't ignoring you before. I had a fight with a scanner and lost, but I just wanted to say thanks for the pic you posted. it is much better than the one I had and I think I can put some more detail in from it.

I might avoid the writing over the shop on the corner as it may be a bit later, (learnt my lesson the hard way,) but I might put some unintelligible script on it to show that there is some there.

Thanks a lot

Jane

xxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 2:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob!

Really excellent!!!!! Like a real colour photo. Thanks for that.

Hutch,

"Glenn : Please allow me to finish. What I was TRYING to say before you so rudely interrupted, was you smell LOVELY."

Aaah, then I did actually take a bath last month after all -- I was afraid I had forgotten.
Hehe... seriously... what kind of new device do you have attached to your computer, since you know how I smell? :-)

I will certainly recommend a fast promotion for you, since you knew the word "tomte" (Father Christmas = "jultomte")! That was indeed worth some extra points. Good man. No more coffee-delivering for you -- you're off the hook from now on.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

(Message edited by Glenna on January 22, 2005)
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert again,

Just got down to the next post. That is so totally good. Am I right in thinking that's the 1920's shot, the last one of Miller's Court?
(Probably totally wrong, I usually am.)

Are you a professional? I have to say it look's it from that photo. I used to teach computer graphics and I've never seen anyone that wasn't a professional work to that standard.
Fiddling about with indeed.....!

Are we going to see anymore?

love jane

xxxxxx

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 450
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 2:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane

Thanks for the kind words. I use to draw and paint a lot, but I don't do so much now due to R.S.I. I did do a pen and ink of Bucks Row which I was quite pleased with. Unfortunately it is A2 size, and they don't reproduce very well on the casebook.

Your spot on about the photo. It was taken a few days before the whole North side was demolished. There is another one, a close up of the arch taken at the same time. It is something I've been meaning to do for a while now. Your work has inspired me. I thought I would start with something fairly easy as basically there wouldn't have been many colours to play around with. I want to do the Dorset Street one next. I'll give it a try anyway, the problem is there isn't much detail in the photo to start with but I'll give it a bash.

All the best

Rob

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane, I nearly forgot, the corner shop in Berner Street, was 'Nelsons Beer House'

Rob

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

You should try and do some more. I know how painful RSI can be, never had it, but I know people that have and I sympathise. I'm in a wheelchair at the moment, but thankfully, even though my legs have given up, my top half is okay! I'm going to be walking by the convention, already decided!

The only reason I have kept going is 'painting'
albeit with a mouse.

I have had the same problems with photos which were probably wonderful when they were taken but time and tide or bad repro has made them almost unusable.

Although it looks as if you don't need any tips on colour ups, if there is anything you are stuck on or want any wierd and wonderful tips that I have picked up over the years, please e-mail me and I will see if I can come up with something. I've found out the hard way!

love Jane

xxxxx

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 6:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd post these two, ( and a colour up) although I was going to wait and put some others up with them, because I'm not happy with them. The problem is that in the daylight, they are just boring old warehouses with no atmosphere, and at night there was no light to see anything!

I've just left them in almost darkness, but they are still a bit boring, sorry. I'll have another go, and maybe you lovely people might come up with something to make them more interesting.

Here they are, sorry they are a bit dull, although my Hubby did say the long shot of the square was a bit spooky.

Mitre night

Mitre square by night

Mitre Square day

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,

"I'm going to be walking by the convention, already decided!"

You go girl! I can't be there, so you just walk on my legs, okay!

And you tell me everything that's happened there!

Love,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2954
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

Very very good. I love it!
Boring? Well, there was unfortunately no gas lamp at that part of the square and several of the buildings were either warehouses or unoccupied so unfortunately this leaves little room for lighting effects, which of course has to be taken in consideration. This is how it was and it can't be helped. I would be wrong to construct something that wasn't there just to get a flashy result.
I also like that middle one of the "Ripper corner", with the black round softed edge around the picture (like some kind of silent movie frame filter).

I like them, jane. Absolutely. As Lyn says, you take us there.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's 2 am and I'm just off to bed,

Thanks for the comments. I suppose I can't change history, that's where it was done and that's that. I am thinking about recreating some scenes with figures in, but obviously done very carefully, just to lend more atmosphere. I might try one just as an experiment and see what everyone thinks.

Mitre Square might benefit from some added elements. I'll sleep on it.

By the way Mr Diddles is innocent. I am starting a free pardon for Mr Diddles campaign. I intend to write slogans on railway arches and petition parliament, as well as throwing myself under the Queen's racehorse if necessary. Justice for Mr Diddles!

night night

Jane

xxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2957
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

I think adding a figure on the murder spot (like the long shot and the close-up of Ripper's corner) could be a good idea to get some content into the scene. Could make it feel it bit frightful. I tdoesen't necessarily have to be graphical in its morbid details.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

P.S. I am with you, Jane. Poor cat; I feel sorry for the little thing being accused of this after his life-time.
I think another cat did it and framed him, though.

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 452
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 5:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

Sorry to hear about your problem, you have my best wishes.

And whether you use a brush or a mouse, it's still art. And excellent art at that.
Thanks for the offer, it's much appreciated, and if you need better quality photos, just let me know and I can e-mail you some.

All the best

Rob

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 5:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,
Dont look anyway but forward---you will be there!

The views are very helpful.However two things occur to me:
Might black and white be the better option?
I am just thinking that a dark dark night can be highlighted by white light on the tops of the buildings and glinting pearl grey glass on the windows.Shadows can also be more easily intensified dont you think?
I think the addition of shadowy figures would also add mystery,leave us to work out what they are doing----but their inclusion would make the images more interesting.They are in no way boring though-factual yes and deserted---but not boring.
Natsxxx

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just want to echo Robert there,excellent art indeed!
Natsx

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 8:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone,

I am going to post the same views in black and white as Natalie suggested. I think it will really work but we won't find out until the dirty deeds done. I can imagine that it will give it a really cool quality, which the colour lacks. Well done Nats!

I might put a figure in, but trying to decide what, if so they will be very shadowy and open to interpretation. I don't want to get into Penny Dreadful territory!

I have just started my posthumous pardon for Mr Diddles campaign. I will post my pleas on the Mr Diddles thread later. You are right though Glenn, I think he was framed by another moggy!

love Jane

xxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2967
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To be frank, Jane...
I can't see the point in making black and white renderings (unless it is of spots or people we have no previous depictions of); we already have black and white photos that quite much says enough in that regards; it is the colour effects that makes it new.

Although I love black and white effects in general, I think the point here is the colour interpretations in order to make it come alive. Black and white pictures of many of the sites we already have, so I am afraid I don't really see the point.
Well, that's just me.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

(Message edited by Glenna on January 23, 2005)

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn - I agree absolutely with your last sentiment.

Jane - In some ways, if we have NO image of the place, a black & white one is pretty good as it gives us a halfway house between your 'bringing it alive' and total ignorance of the appearance (your B&W looking down Miller's Court being a good example). But yes, what is the point of doing a B&W from a B&W shot unless it is to change something about the image (like to make it a panorama)?

You are both full of s*** about Diddles being innocent. No way. You can post what you like on the Diddles thread about it but you are WRONG WRONG WRONG.

PHILIP

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hutch,

I agree, naturally. Well put. That B&W looking down in Miller's Court is a great example of where it is OK, since we have no real satisfying realistic depiction of that . But in the case of Mitre Square or others... well...

I believe Diddles was framed by another cat, Hutch.
He was certainly not Cat the Ripper. He doesen't fit the psychological cat profile... :-)

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gang,

Here's a compromise, but I am going to put a figure or two in later and see what happens.

Do you think Madame Tussard's (spelt wrong) have a wax work of Diddles in their chamber of horrors, if not why not!

Jane

mitre Square mono

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

I see that you have increased the contrasts in lighting a bit on this B&W picture -- that looks great.
Do you think you could do the same on the colour ones and put in a figure (like Eddowes' body -- all the gory graphical details are not necessary, though)?

Regarding Diddles, I have no idea, but I know that the FBI profiling unit i Quantico have ruled him out, since he is not disorganized enough. They have their eye on another cat seen in the vicinity of the crime scenes by several witnesses, though. Naturally the description vary.. from Tabby to Asian, but still...

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fabulous Jane!Very atmospheric and eerie!Love the effect.
Brilliant!
Natsxxx

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,
The last picture is very atmospheric, it still is too light , although I appreciate you cannot make it even dimmer, otherwise one will lose the outline of the place.
Just one point.[my view]
Your work is excellent and such a revelation to these boards, but please dont involve a certain cat in your pictures , at least on the serious threads , as believe me this will harm any future intrest in your work.
I Know you wont, but just testing.
Regards Richard.

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heres Dorset Street. I couldn't do much with it, due to the quality of the original.

Rob

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,
And already I can "see" the street better-have a better idea of atmosphere etc.Lovely work Rob,Congratulations
Nats

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard : "please dont involve a certain cat in your pictures , at least on the serious threads , as believe me this will harm any future intrest in your work." : I am sorry if this sounds blunt, but I find such a comment quite insulting to Jane.

I also find it personally insulting to myself, Glenn, Suzi and anyone else who has been doing the Diddles work.

If you don't like it, don't go there.

Jane - you do whatever you want. Most people on here can call themselves Ripperologists AND have a sense of humour.

PHILIP

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

I have struggled with aged pictures myself, so I can tell you, you have done incredibly well on that one. It's amazing what a difference colour makes to a pic. It stops being yesterday and suddenly becomes today and it does make you feel good, so keep it up.

Glad to see you've got the mouse out again. Oh no I mustn't mention critters on this thread. (Sorry Richard, only joking, I'm sure you have a brilliant sense of humour)

I always feel that I'm a bit of a misery guts sometimes on the thread and just wanted people to know that I do like a joke. I have to say that I've had more laughs over Mr Diddles than I've had in a long while, but I promise I will go to the pub thread to vindicate his name!

Hope to see some more work soon

All the best

Jane

xxxxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane!
GORGEOUS work as ever....despite the lack of cats!!! (ooooops!)
Looking forward to your next post! see you on the Dids thread soon I hope!!
Love

Suzixx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert!!!!!
Just seen your Dorset St!!! Its WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzi xxxxxx

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Glenn

I did try two figures in the the Mitre Square scene, but I don't know if I like it or not, what I might do tomorrow is try what you suggest and see if I can put something in showing the victim but done so as not to be too graphic. Thankfully the shadows will help a lot. I'll sleep on it.

Here's the one with two figures, which is a bit doubtful. i think the other one will work better, giving me shivers thinking about it!

Jane

Mitre Square with figures

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI everyone,

Here's a preliminary of Bucks Row, but I don't know how accurate it is as usual. See what you think. I will be doing a day time one or two, but this just came out first. I will do a daytime of Mitre Square as well, but still trying to come up with something a bit creative for it.

Bucks Row

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, it's come out a bit wierd, not a bit like the image I did in Photoshop. It sort of looks splodgy. I'll have a twiddle tomorrow and see if I can make it look a bit better. Trouble is you have to guess at what it's going to look like when it's uploaded and try an compensate before the event. Oh well back to the drawing board!

All the best

Jane

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane - smashing as always (and oops I forgot to mention your smashing job too, Rob, but then I have enormous respect for both of you!).

I will leave it to the others to say if anything is wrong with Bucks Row - I guess the reason I know less about the layout of it and Berner Street is because they are the 2 my tours don't go to!

I'm not positive, but I would have expected there to be something to say it was Brown's Stable Yard - I know a certain Mr Clack will not only know, but will be able to say what type of wood made up the gates! I THINK from later photos I've seen that the gateway is very wide here and it in fact wasn't that wide (remember Bucks Row was very narrow and this street does look about as wide as it does today).

Mitre Square with the figures - actually, I love it! It IS a piece of art of course, but that is a smashing moment you have made there and it's nicely placed.

PHILIP
x

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 454
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane, Suzi

Thanks for the kind words.

Jane, if I may be so bold about Bucks Row, as I have done some work on this myself (pen and ink).

The houses (I think two more) extended in 1888 up to the gate. The last one 'New Cottage', was a different design to the others.
The building on the right with the horizontal lines was a later addition, about 1930's/50's. There was a building there in 1888, but I don't know what it looks like.
This is New Cottage, unfortunately from the opposite angle. Ignore the garage built on top of the old stable gate.

This is a drawing I did a few years back. I did a more accurate one (New Cottage isn't quite right in this one, and the board School bricks are to big.) recently but I haven't had it reduced yet to be able to scan properly).

Hope it comes through okay.

All the best

Rob

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 169
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Hutch,

Hope you're feeling better - (you must have been bad not to post for so long. Did you get withdrawal symptoms) and thanks for the comments. I couldn't tell how wide the gates were from the pics I had, because the building was built in the gap and I just guessed that the gates were as wide as the building gap.

It's easy to correct anyway. I tried doing a line up of suspects as described by witnesses today and ended up in fits of laughter, because they all ended up looking like Laurel and Hardy. I definitely need to do some more work on that one!

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Jane

xxxx

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, you are a total angel. The pic is so helpful and good quality! I can actually use it as a source because I can cheat and flip it I think. It will be especially helpful if I do a close up of the murder site. Thank you so much.

The line drawing is truly beautiful and I am so envious of your skill with perspective. Mine always look like Bizarro World! I really hope you can find time to do some more or find some old ones to post. Please!

Catch you later, my bit of elastic has run out for today.

love
Jane
xxxxx

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

Trying to be funny?. From all the contemporary illustrations I have seen, there were no names on the gate. The size of the gateway is about right. I should add that there was no pavement cutting across the gate, and the wall between the gate and school is brown as well. This may help with the colouring.

Rob

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

I've just been over to the 'changing our minds' thread and it was fascinating. You never know I might actually venture an opinion one day and shock you all!

Here's a Buck's Row night time scene and I've tried something different, I don't know how it will go down. See what you think.

Polly's Murder

Jane

xxxxx

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh by the way I got the positioning from PC Neill's statement...........

'It was (the gate) about nine or ten feet high, and led to some stables. There were houses from the gateway eastward, and the School Board school occupies the westward. On the opposite side of the road is Essex Wharf. Deceased was lying lengthways along the street, her left hand touching the gate. I examined the body by the aid of my lamp, and noticed blood oozing from a wound in the throat. She was lying on her back, with her clothes disarranged'.

I hope I haven't got my East and West muddled up, because in one photo the outline was lying in totally the other direction. if her left hand was touching the gate is this pic right.

Please don't laugh at me if I got it wrong, I told you I was directionally dyslexic. I get lost going to the loo!

Here's a larger view of it. It's a bit rough, I'll tidy it up when I know she's not lying completely the wrong way around!

close up of murder

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a daytime view along Bucks Row. It still looks a bit splodgy, but better.

Bucks row day

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane!!!!!

Those are just awesome!!! Brilliant!
The nighttime scenes with poor Polly in situe (I especially like the high vertical one -- quite an uncommon composition -- the high buildings make it all feel very desolate) and the daytime long shot picture of the street. Quite atmospheric. (maybe you -- as a suggestion -- could turn down the blur tool a bit and paint in some more details on the cobble stones and the wooden gates, so that it corresponds with all the other details on the pictures?)

And what a beautiful crispy clarity in the daytime pic! What colours!

Nice works, Jane. Indeed.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 1:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Glenn,

Thanks for reassurring me. I always worry when I first put something up, then I just move onto the next thing and forget about it.

I will put some more detail in on the cobbles etc., but I just wanted to see which way Polly was lying. Is Polly the right way around?

I'll wait for everyone to give me a totally different orientation, cry a bit and go for the general consensus, just like 'ask the audience' in 'Who Wants To Be a Millionaire!'

I've always been very democratic!

love Jane

By the way Hutch has been very quiet today. I'm getting worried about him. You don't think he's disappeared in the Whitechapel triangle do you?

xxxxxx

xxxxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

I haven't been able to find some verification in the documents regarding her exact orientation or position, but according to contemporary paper sketches she seem to be lying correct, with the head in the right direction. Also the placement of the bonnet seems to be OK. So yes, I'd say she is lying in the right direction. Also on the correct spot, close to the wooden gates next to New Cottage.

If anybody has other tips about this, raise your voices but to me it seems accurate, from what I know.

I think Hutch had troubles with his allergy yesterday, Jane, but I received a couple of e-mails from him earlier today, so I believe he is OK. Maybe he has a tour. Or else he's in the pub... :-)

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Frank van Oploo
Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all: great job, Jane! Not just your latest work, but all of it, really!

"If anybody has other tips about this, raise your voices but to me it seems accurate, from what I know."

I have just a thing or two. Although from this angle it obviously looks better on her right hand side, Sugden and Begg have the bonnet lying close to her left hand, as well as what seems to be the bigger part of the newspapers. Perhaps another thing worth taking in is when Cross and Paul found Nichols, her skirts were raised almost to her stomach, which Paul had subsequently pulled down to a little above her knees.

All the best,
Frank

"Every disadvantage has it's advantage."
Johan Cruijff

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Frank,

I knew someone would be able to help. Didn't have a clue where her bonnet was, except I knew it was a little way from her body. it is a shame that it was by her left hand because you won't be ableto see it, but there you go.

Good point too about the skirts. What I think would be best is that I do a cut in shot of how the body was actually found, blurring out the parts which might be offensive to some and then do the skirts a little above her knees after it was pulled down. That way it would help people to get their bearings. That was really the trouble I had, picturing each victim exactly as they were found in situ.

Thanks for the input, I think I can get it just right now. I intend to do the same with all of the victims.

If anyone has anything they would like me to do in particular, please pipe up, they really don't take long and I would love to be able to help.

All the best Jane

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

Heres Millers Court. I had a bit of trouble with the broken window, it was a bit of a pane , so I left it dark enough so you couldn't tell if it was broken or not. The thing I noticed while colouring this picture was how filthy and rotten Millers Court was.

Rob

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane & Rob -

Wow wow wow!

Sorry for lack of postings. I'm getting a bit fatigued as I'm spending ages on the PC all the time and need to take a bit of a break. I'm working the rest of the week at the local museum, so I won't be posting much until the evenings.

Jane - sorry, I have SO much to get back to you on from your e-mails (though all is fine). I've checked my Sugden and your Polly is very close to the truth - William Stewart's book had it wrong. All is accurate except for 2 things - the bonnet, as you know, needs to be on her left side close to her hand. If you want to make her more decent, you can do her as PC Neil discovered her - Paul pulled her skirts down so they were just above her knees. Otherwise it's exactly as the record states. You could keep the bonnet in - it was close to her left hand, so you could partially see it just above her left knee.

It is so haunting seeing the work you do - you read the visions but all you see in your head is Illustrated Police News images and it's not until we see the work you do with the known shots to fit the detailed descriptions that you get a real feel to how things looked.

Rob - I love your mould. I must be the first person who's ever told you that. Smashing work. Joe Barnett would agree.

PHILIP

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everybody,

Jane....Amazing as usual. The pics really do take you there..so to speak. I was wondering if you could possibly do a pic of Eddowes and the man she was seen talking with in church passage From the perspective of how Lawende might have seen them. I think that would be really cool.
Thanks again.
Paul

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 2:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
I loved these Jane.Like the subtle colouring as Glenn says.Difficult over the figures because it was the positioning of the legs that provided one of the clues to the police that it was the rippers work[and I think I remember rightly that this was so with Liz Stride too].OK so other serial killers do the same but I dont think say Chapman did this to his dead victims who Abberline thought to be the killer for a long time.
So in short if you are going to put in the figures
and avoid depictions that may be offensive why not put in the angle of the leg and blur the lower abdomen etc?
Anyway Great Stuff!
Natsxxx

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.