Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through January 04, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Pictures of East End » Archive through January 04, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty

Sorry my note was a bit brief, but I was in the middle of getting ready for work.

I have had no communication at all with Scott Medine. Were you asking for any particular reason or was it just about you know who.

Rob

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

Dont apologise.

Scott asked me to keep him informed with Casebook issues regarding you know who (Im assuming he has already contacted you regarding this person).

I have been doing this but I have not received any confirmation from him so I was just wondering if he had been in contact with you regarding your fantastic photos.

Thats my reason mate.

Later,

Monty
:-)
Im off to see the Psy-chia-taay........just to see if Im de-men-taaay. Kiss my bad self.
-Aaron Kosminski.

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty

Scott didn't tell me about this person, some one else told me last year.

Have you make him aware of the recent posts on that persons thread?

Rob

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

Yes Buddy.

Before I notified him of this thread.

Cheers anyway,
Monty
Im off to see the Psy-chia-taay........just to see if Im de-men-taaay. Kiss my bad self.
-Aaron Kosminski.

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Heres a clearer copy of the Commercial Street 1950 photo.

This is Whites Row during the early 40s. That is Commercial Street at the other end with "The Queens Head" Public House on the corner.

This is a close up of "The Queens Head".

A big thank you to The Tower Hamlets Local History Library for supplying me with copies, and also for giving me permission to reproduce them here. For info Tower Hamlet Local History Library own the copyright for these photos and also the one of Winthrop Street in 1910.

Rob

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A big Thankyou to you too Rob for taking the trouble to arrange all these.They are fascinating.
Cheers Nats

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Natalie

All the best

Rob

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some photos I took recently around the area.

South side of Hanbury street, opposite where number 29 stood. This was taken looking westward from Brick Lane.

South side of Hanbury Street again looking eastward from Brick Lane.

Commercial Street looking North from Peabody Buildings. That is the Commercial Tavern on the right which is opposite the old Commercial Street Police Station.

Peabody Buildings

Commercial Street looking South from Christ Church.

Artillery Passage.

And finally Artillery Lane and Passage from Whites Row car park

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3156
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marvellous stuff again, Rob. You are the David Bailey of the Boards.

Robert

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank You Robert.

Hopefully those who can't visit the area can at least get some idea of what it look like now.

Rob

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

A little Drinky poos in the Grapeshots?

...then Shooting starzzz....then (burp) thatz Monkz joint on Middlesex streetzzz

Thud !

Monty

Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice
Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice- Jack the Ripper

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty

I try not to drink and take pictures unless people want to see pictures of the gutter .

I believe the Shooting Star (Brick Lane?) has closed, it was all boarded up when I passed last week.

Rob

Monty
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

The Shooting Star Im on about is in Middlesex St, built on the site of the Jew Shelter.

Monty
Don't be shocked by the tone of my voice
Check out my new weapon, weapon of choice- Jack the Ripper

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,
excellent photos again. I have never been to the area and i certainly get a feel for the place from your pics

Cheers
Jenni
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty

The one I am thinking about in Brick Lane has a similar name, I'll have a look next time I am staggering down there.

I was in the White Hart last Saturday and that has gotten dark and dingy in the eleven years since my first visit, all it needs now is some sawdust and a spittoon.

Hi Jenni

Thank you for your comments, by the way have you seen the Lon Chaney "Phantom of the Opera" film?

Rob

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

no problem. No I haven't seen anyones Phantom of the Opera film, why do you ask?

Jenni

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jenni

The reason I asked is this. Spot the difference

When ever I see the Robert Lees character in "Jack the Ripper", Lon Chaney springs to mind.
Rob

..................................................................................................
Don't step on that spider, it might be Lon Chaney.

(Message edited by rclack on October 08, 2004)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,
that's pretty scary.

one thing is for sure whenever i see the Robert Lees character in that film it doesn't remind me of Robert Lees.........

....don't tempt me to get started!!

Jenni

ps theres a film based on facts if ever I saw one!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great photos Robert.I really enjoy looking at them always-you capture a sense of Whitechapel"s timelessness and the wear and tear of buildings
that could tell so many strange tales!

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Natalie.

Jenni, Donald Sutherland gave a very good performance as Robert Lees in "Murder by Decree", although he looked like he wouldn't last the weekend.
And Niall MacGinnis gave a good performance as well in "The Veil" episode "Jack the Ripper". For some reason they changed Lees name to Walter Durst.

All the best

Rob

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

The quality of these pictures are appalling, but someone may find them interesting. They are from "The People" 2nd and 9th of June 1912.
Nick Connell mentioned them in Ripperana No 21.
They were to illustrate a two part article "Scotland Yard and its Secrets".

This one is Hanbury Street the 'X' is the entrance to No 29.

This is Castle Alley, not sure if the 'X' marks the exact spot.

And the last one is Dorset Street, by that time it was called Duval Street. The 'X' is definately the wrong spot. It is Little Paternoster Row.

Rob

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a note. I have compared the Hanbury Street picture with the one in Phillip Sugdens book, and whoever took the 1912 picture, took a picture of the wrong building. The pub on the corner is "The Weavers Arms" which is on the corner with Wilkes Street. So Number 29 would be further along on the same side, but out of shot.

The Hanbury Street photo is the only one with the name of the photographer attached. The name just says 'White' whether this is Stephen White I don't know.

Rob

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
respect man.
Where are you digging them out?
Thank you for sharing this vast amount of pics!!!

Christian

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 331
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Christian

I have known about the three above since 97. It is only today that I got of my backside and went up to the newspaper library to get copies.
I dig them out of a variety of places. The three above I read about in "Ripperana". The Winthrop Street one was published in an old issue of "Ripperologist". And some from "The East End, Then and Now" and some other books dealing in local history. Tower Hamlets Local History Library supplied me with copies which I reproduced here. The three recent ones were plain photocopies from the newspaper microfilm at Colindale. To get prints of them where to expensive and I don't think they would have been much better. I have e-mailed customer services for "The People" about trying to find original prints, but I am not holding my breath.
The annoying thing is, out of all the photos I have seen of the East End, there are very few of the murder sites around the time they were committed. The earliest I have seen of Bucks Row was taken 40 years after Mary Nichols was murdered there. And the same for the north side of Dorset Street. 30 years for Hanbury Street. 20 years for Berner Street and about 35 years for Mitre Square.
Hopefully something will turn up one of these days.
I did find another photo of Stephen White. I am waiting to get a photocopy of it early next week. Whether it will be any good to post we will have to wait and see.

All the best

Rob

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 989
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob

Many thanks for sharing these interesting photographs with us. I agree with you that it is unlikely that The People will be able to produce the original photographs but nonetheless it is worth enquiring.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris

There's nothing to lose in asking. Hopefully there will be an archive somewhere that has copies.

Rob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great pix Rob!

Off next w/e 23rd will post some more pix etc later!!!!!

Cheers!!
Suzi

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi

I didn't take the 1912 ones!

Anyway have a good time. I look forward to seeing your pixs

Rob

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These four photos were taken in 1912 in and around Spitalfields by Horace Warner. They have nothing to do with Jack but they show even 24 years after 1888 poverty was still a problem and children as always were the first to suffer.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for posting these, Rob.

Truly, heartbreakingly beautiful images.

Love,

Caz
X

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob!
Those photos are superb! Thanks so much! Where did you get them?
Thanks again,they are as Caz says... wonderful!

Suzi x

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the last one best. Positive and hopeful.

The second one could almost have been taken outside Kelly's larger window, but there would have had to be a step in the picture.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert!
I agree! God! that child's face tells more than the odd picture!

My fav is the last one though
suzi x

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

What can I say? Spectacular!

Mikey

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey-these kids have such spirit!Even the one who looks well pi**ed off having to hawk round a basket of whatever it is.He"s damned if he"ll "smile"for the photographer!And the first two look as though they"re enjoying it up on that wall from where they can see into people"s back yards and maybe pretend to be " king of the castle".Great photos Robert.Maybe you should publish a book of them or try and gather an exhibition together to put on in Whitechapel.The library there could do with some fresh local history pictures.
Natalie

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all,

The photos come from a book called "Spitalfields Nippers," published in the mid seventies. Horace Warner took 240 photos of the area in 1912 of which The Bedford Institute bought 30 of them (don't know where the other 190 are), but I am not sure who owns the photos, might be Hackney Local History Library.

And I thought like Robert, that the second one looked like Millers Court but I compared the windows and they are different.

Rob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob!!
Think its time to get together and find those other.....................
130!!!!!Hmmmm...
Got to be a project here... but hate to say it ...they're probably in someone's attic in a box somewhere!!!

Sadly!!!! ...Never give up though chaps
There's always a car boot sale or a superb church fete that may just....JUST produce the right box!!!! We live in hope 'eh?

Cheers
Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or failing that the other 190!!!!!!!

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi

Local History Libraries are usually a good place to start. The ones above are in Hackney for some strange reason. But as you say, car boot sales and markets are always worth a browse through, there maybe a hidden gem somewhere.

Rob

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody!

Wow! Those photos really tell it all.
As a local historian and member of the board of a local historical society here at home, I know the true value of such contemporary picture material. Sometimes it just says more than words.

Yes, it's true, Robert, the second picture really do look a bit like Miller's Court.

Great stuff, Mr Clack -- again!

All the best
Glenn L Andersson, crime historian

(Message edited by Glenna on October 29, 2004)
"If you don't understand any of my sayings, come to me in private and I shall take you in my German mouth. Alles klar?"
Herr Wolf Lipp, The League of Gentlemen

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the south side of Dorset Street from "The Daily Mirror" Monday 8 February 1960.
The building being pointed at was one of Crossinghams Lodging Houses and was the one where George Hutchinson stood outside of.
Sorry about the quality it is from a photocopy of a microfiche copy.

Rob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tremendous again, Rob. Marvellous to see something like this.

Robert

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2660
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Well, since everybosy else are displaying their photos from East End, I thought I'll display some of my own from my visit in February.
They can't in any way measure up to Robert Clack's or anyone elses - and I am a really lousy photographer (and I have a lousy camera as well), but anyway...
As apparent to anyone, the weather was rather dark and rainy.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gustaf\Mina dokument\Mina bilder\Gunthorpe Street small

The passage in Gunthorpe Street -- former George Yard (Tabram's murder scene at the far end of the picture); the left wall in the foreground belongs to the pub White Hart, where Klosowski had his barber shop in the basement.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gustaf\Mina dokument\Mina bilder\The Ten Bells small

The Ten Bells and Commercial Street.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gustaf\Mina dokument\Mina bilder\Mitre Square small

Mitre Square. The Eddowes murder site is situated by the flower boxes.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gustaf\Mina dokument\Mina bilder\Henrique Street small

Henrique Street (former Berner Street). The Stride murder site, nowadays a school yard (I think), at the far end of the wall on the right side of the street, close to the yellow house wall.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gustaf\Mina dokument\Mina bilder\Entrance to Old Spitalfields Market from Brushfield Street small

Entrance to Old Spitalfields Market from Brushfield Street.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 385
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

Great pictures. I see I have some competition.
I just hope you didn't get soaked taking them.

All the best

Rob

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2669
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob,

Competition? No way, not in a million years. Especially not considering the technical quality. But thanks for that generous comment indeed.

Soaked? Tell me about it, not to mention a freezing cold wind that nearly made it impossible for me to keep the camera still.
People at the White Hart probably thought that someone had tried to drown me in a barrel.

Thanks again for the nice words.

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3750
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice photos, Glenn. Thanks for posting them.

Robert

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

These are truly great photos - thank you so much!

They truly give me a feel for the area.

Bestest,

Lyn

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3755
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob

Did you ever access this one from the LMA? you probably have, but I'm just checking.

HAMPSTEAD GARDEN SUBURB
Catalogue Ref. ACC/3816
Creator(s):
Garden Suburb Trust, 1904-1906
Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust Limited, 1906-1968

[Access Conditions]
The majority of the archive is available for public consultation, however there is a limited amount of material which contains personal or sensitive information. These records carry a closure period, details of which appear on the list itself.
There is also some material which requires advance notice of consultation. For example, ACC/3816/02/03 consists of lantern slides and glass negatives. These must be viewed in our conservation department which normally requires 48 hours notice. Likewise, ACC/3816/09/01 which consists of audiotapes, needs 48 hours notice as equipment needs to be prepared to access this series.

Photographs

PHOTOGRAPHS OF HAMPSTEAD GARDEN SUBURB; Arranged By Title or Description

FILE - Crispin Street and Duval Street - ref. ACC/3816/PH/01/1479 - date: 19--

Robert

Robert Clack
Inspector

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

I haven't been to the London Metropolitan Archives, so I may not have seen it. I have a feeling it may be this one, which I believe is in at least two collections.

I have got a week of work at the end of the month, so I will add a visit there to my list of things to do.

I will also try and pop into the Tower Hamlets Local History Library and look at the newspaper coverage of Jane Williams murder in 1926, to see if any photos were taken of Duval Street.

All the best

Rob

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2685
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another great picture, Rob.
What an atmosphere!

Is any of the two streets above Duval Street?

All the best
G, Sweden
"Well, do you... punk?"
Dirty Harry, 1971

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.