Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Pictures of East End Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Whitechapel » Pictures of East End « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 23, 2003Chris Scott25 7-23-03  1:38 pm
Archive through August 26, 2004Robert Clack50 8-26-04  3:42 am
Archive through January 04, 2005Glenn L Andersson50 1-04-05  3:52 pm
Archive through January 11, 2005Glenn L Andersson50 1-11-05  7:04 am
Archive through February 04, 2005John Ruffels50 2-04-05  4:56 am
Archive through September 02, 2005George Hutchinson50 9-02-05  3:57 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4915
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 4:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hutch, it was being built.

Robert

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 636
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are two images I took when I was wondering the streets with Phil and Christian.

The first one is just before I met them and is the board school from the East London line Whitechapel Station.

And this Commercial Street from the approximate location of the middle of Dorset Street.

Rob

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 637
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may or may not help with the layout of Aldgate High Street

Whitechapel about 1921

Rob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2912
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soooooooooooooooperb work chaps!!!!!! God HOW MANY pics of this area do we have between us!!!!!

Conf Competition coming up I feel!!!

LOL

Suzi

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 1:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

excellent photos as usual everyone

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my momma taught me better than that."

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 638
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a few images I have come across recently

Commercial Street 1907
The Ten Bells is on the far left and Spitalfields Market is on the right.

This is the North Side of Fairclough Street 1909 from the Berner Street corner on the right

The Working Lads Institute c1905

And this is Shepard's Place c1909which was on White's Row, looking South towards Tenter Street

Rob

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Walking the East End with Phil Hutchinson and Robert Clack, two local history books on legs, is like discussing physics with Newton and Einstein: You can't get any better!

You get to see gems like this:

or this:

you even get a graffiti-update:

and you see the REAL Swallow's gardens,

where a letter box allows a glance inside:

Thanks a million times to both of you
it was a real pleasure!!!!!!

Christian

Geoff Cooper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know it was a while ago on this thread, but there was a question of the location of Sion Square. This is from the Ordnance Survey map of 1873.

Not sure if it will upload correctly, but here goes:

Sion Square 1873

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 2:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jules asked me to post these up for him as he was having trouble,

I just hope I have put them in the right place!

xxxxx

Jane

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many Thanks to all you folk for providing these fascinating images!
Natalie

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 764
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a whole new series of images for you folks.

It took me ages to put all these up and then they all got wiped off as 2 of them I hadn't resized. Dammit!!!

Here we go again then...

Yawn...

This will be a long ride. Firstly, a series of shots I culled from a series of postcards from a BBC set of Hulton repros.

Here's a shot of a young Rob Clack in the background already making notes on the East End.

ee1

And here's Billingsgate market. Clearly a mate of Joe's.

ee2

The ubiquitous Spitalfields Market...

ee3

Petticoat Lane Market (a new image for once - and notice how there are replica dogs on sale to keep Diddles at bay!)...

ee4

A Whitechapel street in 1938 (if you wonder why Jack stopped - would YOU pick a fight with the woman sitting down?)...

ee5

An unknown Whitechapel graveyard in 1938 (St Mary's, maybe?)...

ee6

And finally, I'm saying nothing about the Brighton Conference or WHO this might be :

ee7

Now I've also got a lot of images of use from the book A COCKNEY CAMERA which my late nan used to own. Though there aren't a great deal of East End images in there, it gives a smashing feel of the working life of Victorian Londoners and is a great visual feast.

Here's 3 of Poplar workhouse between 1902 and 1905.

cc1

cc2

cc3

This is Whitechapel High Street in April 1899...

cc4

And this is my all-time favourite image of Victorian London. You may recognise details used elsewhere, but as a whole it has almost perfect composition and would rival the artistic works of any Old Master. I love it. It is the quintessential image of Victorian London. The man on the right with the hook lost his hand in an accident at the Whitechapel coal wharves and was by that time trying his best just to make ends meet. This was taken in the late 1870s at an unknown pub in Whitechapel Road.

cc5

Here's some hop-picking in Kent. Anyone see John & Cathy? Nah - thought not...

cc6

And last one tonight... a shot of 71 Aldgate High Street (the Turk's Head) in the 1870s. If only it had been 29...

cc7

That's all you're getting for now. There's still plenty to come but patience is a virtue.

Enjoy them.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip, those are great. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Dave

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On Sept 29th George Hutchinson (Philip) posted a photo of a group of women in Whitechapel in 1938. The street looks familiar to me but I can't place it. Does anyone know where the photo was taken? Thanks.

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is what might be called the Berner Street Panorama. It's a merge of two photos that Robert Clack kindly posted which were obviously taken at the same time from the same camera position so it wasn't too difficult to do. Maybe Jane could do her own version and colour it too so it would look even better. On the left you can see that Schwartz has run into Broad Shoulders and Pipeman again and is legging it across the road out of there.

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 4:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great panorama, Stephen! Thanks for merging those photos and for sharing the result!

All the best,
Frank
"There's gotta be a lot of reasons why I shouldn't shoot you, but right now I can't think of one."

- Clint Eastwood, in 'The Rookie' (1990)

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 801
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen. Alas, I don't know the street. The card doesn't say.

I just wanted to echo Frank's comments.

What a brilliant piece of work you've done above! And more impressive is the eagle-eye to note both shots were done at the same time.

I'm more than slightly impressed. It's like the discovery of a whole new photo of a crime scene.

Any chance of mailing me via the site and then sending me a bigger copy jpegged?

PHILIP

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
agree that this Berner Street panorama is something else!Thanks a lot for this Stephen,
Natalie

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Frank, Philip and Natalie

Yes it is pretty good even if I say so myself. Hurrah for Photoshop. Modern life isn't all bad is it? Sorry Philip, I don't think as an unregistered guest I can send you anything. I keep meaning to register but as our good Lord says, 'Sufficient unto the day are the evils thereof'. As I said, I'm sure the lovely Jane Coram could knock off the same thing in no time and colour it as well. Give her a buzz. Natalie, sweetheart, always good to hear from you. What did happen to the Compendium bookshop? A big time loss indeeed. Keep watching the 'Cutbush in Camden Town' thread, things may happen there. Something else? Thank you. I love that phrase. Eddie Cochran circa 1959. Yes that photo-merge really is something else, if I again say so myself. Philip, the 1938 photo looks like Spitalfields, as opposed to Whitechapel in general, from the narrowness of the street and the tall building in the background should be a bit of a giveaway. Monty might know. Failing that I'll have to get on my bike and ride around a bit.

Mats
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All photographs c.1977-79

Artillery Passage, on the bounds of the City:

Early Sunday morning in Cobb Street:

Mercers Cottages, Salmon Lane:

The Frying Pan, Thrawl Street:

Assembly Passage, off the Mile End Road:

Dawn in Brick Lane:

Wood buildings by Whitechapel Station:

Christ Church School, Brick Lane:

Half Moon Passage, off Alie Street:

Puma Court, where Dickens walked:

Gunthorpe Street:

Jewish soup kitchen, Brune Street:

Defunct Jewish corner store, corner of Gun Street and Artillery Lane:

Synagogue in Princelet Street:

Jewish Bakery, Quaker Street:

The Blind Beggar, where George Cornell was shot by Ronald Kray:

The "Jack the Ripper" (Ten Bell's), Commercial Street:

43 Durward Street:

Sidney Street, surviving corner:

Offices of the anarchist newspaper, Angel Alley:

Surviving corner of Fulbourne Street, where the Fifth Congress of the R.S.D.L.P. was mobilised in May 1907. The founding fathers of the Soviet Union were all present:

Parliament Court, off Artillery Passage, where the Ethical Society first met in 1793:

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Here's a few shot I took while in London. The first is Bevis Marks Synagogue.

This is the back of Bevis Marks, 2 Heneage Lane (not to be confused with Heneage Court from McCormick's 'Eight Little Whores' poem), site of the Spanish and Portuguese School, where Whitechapel victims photographer, Joseph Martin attended classes when he wasn't truant.

This is a shot of the Board School in Durward Street taken near Whitechapel Road.

Looking north up Gunthorpe Street at night. Spooky.

Up the thread a bit, you will see a picture posted by my friend, Christian Jaud, of Spital Yard. My picture is taken about ten of fifteen paces further on from the right pavement.

Two pictures of the gibbet hanging outside the Clink Prison Museum in Southwark.

Cheers,

Robert

Mats
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 7:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 848
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 8:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mats - wow! WHAT is that second photo above? The obvious assumption would be the staircase in George Yard Buildings, but is it somewhere else that's relevant?

Your images above are great. Especially challenging for me is the image of Puma Court in the 1970s. A real wake-up call. It is nowadays a very quaint and old-fashioned street and the entire length of it is full of ancient-looking buildings. I've always told my groups that the street is just like it was in the time of the Ripper - but, my God, the ends opening onto Wilkes Street are all brand new buildings! I'm really shocked, as they fit right in and look just as old as the rest of Puma Court.

Also nice to see Woods Buildings as it was before they shut it off. I got to go down it myself once.

And I'd not seen that image of the backyard of #29 before. Where had these come from?

WE WANT INFORMATION!!!

PHILIP

Steve Swift
Detective Sergeant
Username: Swift

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know whats weird? In the movie 'From Hell' they are taking pics from the roof as Abberline examines Chapman - much like the angle that photo is taken from.
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve,

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. That was one of the parts of From Hell that I thought was kind of slick.

Thanks for the photos, guys.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2554
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 3:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for these great photos
Cheers
Natalie

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 853
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 5:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I've had an e-mail telling me the 2 photos above used to hang in The Ten Bells and that the corridor is inside #29. I had thought that at first, but the fact it LOOKS like a dead end except for the staircase made me think maybe I was wrong.

PHILIP

Stephen Thomas
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mats,

Absolutely wonderful set of photos, given when they were taken. In these days of auto-focus and auto exposure and digital this and that, people may take them for granted but you and I know different. Photography was hard then and you had to know what you were doing. All those f-stops and shutter speeds and whatnot. You obviously did and thanks for posting them. I took a similar set of photos around the same including Mitre Square and Goulston Street but I just can't find them (they're in the house somewhere). The Gunthorpe Street photo is sensational (Man Ray or what?) That could just be Jack on his way back to Kennington (eh?) after the Bucks Street murder. And then to follow up all this with two totally unknown, highly important new crime scene photos? What else have you got?

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 909
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a couple I found recently outside an unknown Whitechapel dosshouse and another unknown alleyway.

Doss1

Alley1

OK - I'll be honest. They're a couple of photos I took in York last month and the guy in the first shot is me. But they look the part, don't they?

PHILIP

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

yes York is lovely

Jenni
"So if I can shoot rabbits then ..."

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3352
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mats- The 1970's shots are fabulous!!!!
More info needed re. those two Hanbury Street pictures-.... Please!!!!

Suzi

Spiro
Sergeant
Username: Auspirograph

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all those people who go to the trouble of finding, sharing and taking these photographs although I know you enjoy them anyway.

You may not realise, and it probably doesn't get said enough, that these precious photographs give many people who don't live in Britain or are familiar with the East End, a rare glimpse into the times and place of Jack the Ripper that no text could adequately describe. A reality check if you will from all the theorising and reading.

Thanks for some fine English hospitality and a happy, safe and peaceful seasons greetings to all from Australia. Where it doesn't snow for xmas!

Spiro

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3353
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at the height of the back door in the top Hanbury Street (hope thats what is is) and the height of the adjoining fence I'd reckon quickly that the fence should be around 6' tall at the point where it meets the wall.Must do a bit more measuring here but that may explain why no one looked over it!

Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.