Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through January 30, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Writing on Mary Kelly's wall » Archive through January 30, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

I still see the word 'Hart' in all those photos.....spooky! A message from the grave?

I have to add a sentence to make this post greater than twenty five words, and this is it!

LEANNE

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 785
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff
I would just like you to know that I thought that quite the best explanation of the motives behind the crimes of Jack the Ripper I have ever read.

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

"I still see the word 'Hart' in all those photos.....spooky! A message from the grave?"

I must confess: I don't see anything whatsoever on the original photos!!!! No words or letters of any kind! But maybe people uses different kinds of glasses than I do? With super glass...

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on January 28, 2004)
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Glenn,

I don't wear glasses mate, but have slight damage to one of my eyes after a car accident. I've noticed at night time that my right eye is more sensative to any light filtering in the room than my left eye is. But I still see the word 'Hart', when I close my right eye! It's slightly more noticable when I view the photo with just my right eye!

LEANNE

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

Your responses were not unexpected.

I didn't think anyone would agree with me, however I still stand by my convictions.

As I said before we are all entitled to an opinion.

When I look at the original photo through a magnifying glass I believe I can see the letters that I say I see. It is not a lie or a set-up.

It looks like the general opinion is that I am talking a load of 'Bullocks'

If the letters are there then they would hardly appear obvious and easy to detect. It took me sometime to work out in my mind what I was seeing.

I think out of all the words, what could be 'NEVER' is the most visible, this was certainly the first word that caught my eye.Under magnification though I believe I can make out the other letters.

So maybe it is my imagination or my eyes playing tricks on me. Or maybe it is a message.

When I created this thread I didn't know whether I would get one response so I am pleased that we have been able to debate this issue.

Regards

David

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

Let's not forget that if someone was writing on paper that was on top of the photo, that would leave the indent of whatever they were writing.

LEANNE

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne

That is of course a possibilty.

Im glad I am not the only one who sees something in the picture.

So do you think Barnett wrote HART ?

David

Jeff Hamm
Inspector
Username: Jeffhamm

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP,

Now that you mention it, it could be both an explanation of the motives behind the crimes and the explanation of some explanations of the motives behind the crimes! ha!

- Jeff

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David

My apologies if I have misjudged you. However, these Boards have been targeted twice previously by a hoaxer who claimed to have new photographic evidence.

The first time, he was going to scan a picture of MJK's room - only he was waiting for help with his scanner. On the second occasion, the same hoaxer posted a picture purportedly of Abberline.

Robert

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day David,

No I don't think Barnett wrote 'Hart'. I think if there was anything written, the police would have found it! It's just a weird optical illusion.

LEANNE

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

I second to Robert's apology here. Considering our little hoaxer on previous occasions on the Boards, I was beginning to smell a rat. Please, don't take it personally.

Believe me, David, I would like nothing more than to see the words you seem to be able to read from the wall. I unfortunately can't -- nor have I managed to find the infamous "F...M". And I still believe, that if a serial killer would leave behind a message, he would have made it easier to detect, or else there would be no point in it.

Leanne,
I must admit that I have problems with my eye-sight, although it is on long distances. I can't find "Hart" either, I am afraid. I agree all sorts of letters on the wall are optical illusions, and I believe as well that if they were there, the police would have seen it and recorded it. The police at the time may have been inexperienced as far as crime scene investigation methods is concerned, but they were no idiots.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Suzi Hanney
Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
Without my glasses I can hardly see the wall let alone the 'graffiti'!!Have just been having yet another look..no joy..shame we can't see 'Jack woz ere' tag though isn't it?..Now there's an idea for a painting!
All best
Suzi

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 395
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to say I am with Glenn on this one. I have stared long and hard at that photo and I have never been able to see anything other than random dirt marks on the wall, not the letters FM, not any writing, nothing. Now that Leanne points it out I can now see her H, a and t, although not the R, so perhaps the message was HAT! Perhaps this means that Jack the Ripper was actually Philip Treacy!

Suzi Hanney
Inspector

Post Number: 461
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan
Or Jack the Hat maybe!!
Lets face it we're in the right area! not so far from the Vallance Road after all.For what it's worth I'm with Glenn too,just a wall looking exactly as we'd imagine..the cross mark is mildly intriging but not I guess when we consider Mary's Catholic tastes.
All best
Suzi

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

The only thing I can see it the FM but I now believe that the F is actually part of the door in the wall behind the bed. I can see the H in the word Hart that Leanne sees but not the rest of it.

Unfortunately I can't see any of the words or letters that David claims to see. Sorry my mind just won't form letters where you say you see them. Although I'm interested in what that newspaper article meant.

Sarah

Kevin Braun
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kbraun

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

I think I owe you an apology. Sorry for the "Welcome back Arfa" comment. Several of your posts have the ring of a board hoaxer. See Robert's (Wednesday, January 28, 2004 7:51) contribution. You need to register.

The photograph is too grainy to identify with any certainty, letters or words on the wall.

Take care,
Kevin

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 786
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff

I still think it an excellent explanation of motive, and of course an excellent explanation for an excellent explanation.
If you are not fond of it, I shall steal it off you.
Thanks very much.

Michael Raney
Sergeant
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gang,

It was explained at one time on the board that the writing that may appear in the photo could possibly be scratch marks on the picture and when copied show up more and we tend to see something in it because we want so desperately want to see something. It has also been stated that the scratching could have come from someone writing on a piece of paper that was carelessly laid on top of the photo. Just my humble opinion.

Mikey

Jeff Hamm
Inspector
Username: Jeffhamm

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP,
You may use it to your hart's content! It has the literal problem of the lack of TV's at the time, but used metaphorically it could be used. In such application, it's not the metaphor but the context that makes it informative, rather than ambiguous. If you supply the context, I think then you would be allowed to claim the explanation as your own.

- Jeff

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 788
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jeff

I think Groucho Marx would have understood you, but I certainly didn't.
I'll supply a context for your explanation.
As you will see in the due course of time.
Thanks again.

Suzi Hanney
Inspector

Post Number: 467
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A.P
I want to see your next sashy out to include this writing on the wall...! Belshazzars Feast will have nothing on you.." The moving finger writes; and,having writ, moves on" Although this next bit isn't relevant.. thought you'd like it..."Nor all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line,nor all thy tears wash out a word of it" Allegedly from Edward Fitzgerald 1809-1883!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
all best
Suzi

ArleneM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been lurking around for some time and finally have the courage to post. I have tried and tried to no avail to see any words in that picture. If I squint really hard I can see an F but I am at a loss to the other words.

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 568
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arlene,

That's ok. There probably aren't any words or letters really there anyway. Sometimes the brain tries to make sense out of things that don't really need sense being made out of them as in this case. Some of our brains may just be trying to form letters from the blood on the walls or, as Michael pointed out, someone may have written on top of the photo at some point and when it was reproduced it now shows some vague letters but I don't know how likely that is.

Sarah

Suzi Hanney
Inspector

Post Number: 484
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah
Feeling better?
As to the writing...come on...the room was in an appalling state,stains on the wall were a luxury!!..they were just covered in God knows what!..the only thing that I can see with a fair amount of imagination I must add is the' cross'..ok it's there..but really don't think it means anything..perhaps just something to make Mary feel safer!
Love
Suzi

M.Mc.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "Cross" figure is high above the bed, some crop copies in books of the image do not show it.

But anyway, I have a question...

I read in some book back about 5 years ago that on another part of Mary Kelly's wall was writen in her blood, "You'll never catch me! (???)

Could this be true? Does anyone know? I have not found another text about this before or since. If this is true, which at this point I kind of doubt but I would really like to know. Since in almost all the JTR letters hoaxes or not, say this. Also uses the term, "Catch me if you can."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.