Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Writing on Mary Kelly's wall Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Writing on Mary Kelly's wall « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 28, 2004Jeff Hamm25 1-28-04  2:30 pm
Archive through January 30, 2004M.Mc.25 1-30-04  7:30 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 868
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have noticed the "cross" before but came to a different conclusion. If you look at the panelling between the vertical line of the "Cross" and the bedhead, it unmistakably (in my opinion) forms the pattern of a blocked in panel door. The edge of the door corresponds exactly with the vertical upright of the "cross" - the lower continuation of this line can be seen just above the exposed thighbone of Kelly's right leg. I think the most likely explanation of the "cross" is an old hinge from the blocked door, possibly one which has rusted and formed this shape
Chris

Suzi Hanney
Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 499
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris
Very good point there re the cross..the panelling behind the bed is so oviously made up from doors and God knows what else. Anyone could guess at where McCarthy got the 'doors' 'panelling' etc to divide that room off from..maybe from one of the Crossinghams in and around the area..dividing rooms up was obviously very important to double the rent for your romm etc at this time
Suzi

SPEARS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M.Mc.

Do you happen to know the name of the book where you read about the writing on the wall.

I would really be interested in finding a reference to any writing that may have been seen in Millers Court.

Regards

SPEARS

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 647
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I finished this post this morning, but just as I previewed it the site went down, so I lost it. so here we go again.
I am still not convinced, that the writing on the wall , ever existed, at least nothing relevant to this killing.
The washstand was depicted to the right of Kellys bed against the partition, therefore according to this relevant sketch, the bed was originally, not up against the partition, as always considered.
We have no idea who the artist who done this particular drawing was, but he seemed to have details of the layout of kellys room, having placed a table and chairs, and a fireplace, and a washstand , and a print over the fireplace, there fore I would imagine , he either saw the room, on the morning of the 9th , ie. a police artist, or he was given details of the rooms contents, and sketched them , into the room,for a newspaper article.
My point is , why would somebody place a washstand to the right of kellys bed, if it was not originaly there, it would be a most unlikely point to place such a item.
Is it not possible, knowing that there were two photographs, taken in that room, that the shot showing kellys body from the left was the first taken, when there would have been space, to the left of the bed,and the most famous shot taken, when the washstand was removed , and the bed pushed up against the partition.
Also the bottle of beer , shown as a item on the mantlepiece, intriques me, could this be the beer that Kelly drank, just before she encounted Maxwell
on the morning of the 9th.we should remember the actual words used, 'I have had some but brought it up again'
As no one remembers seeing kelly in a public house that morning, before the time Maxwell claims to have spoken to her, it could just be that the contents of that beer were drank by kelly, before she left her room.
Regards Richard.

M.Mc.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recall it was a thick book with "SERIAL KILLERS" writen this way in part of the title. It had a huge list of crimes of this nature in it. I cannot recall everything about it but this is the only text I ever found with this claim in it. It might have been a simple error. (???) God knows I've found major errors in a lot of computer program books I've ever read. I don't know but I am just as interested in finding a reference to any writing that may have been seen in Millers Court as you are. I was wondering if anyone else had ever read about this claim of other writing on Mary Kelly's wall. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

SPEARS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To M.Mc.

I have been checking on the WWW to see if what books I find that match your description. I dont suppose either of the following ring any bells:

Regards

SPEARS

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow!! Good covers!!
Richard
there's some really odd stuff coming out here!! This washstand..I always imagined it to be to the right of the fireplace if you were looking at it from Mary on the bed sort of point of view!! I can't help but think that when the ubiquitous 2nd photo was taken maybe the 'furniture' was moved around somewhat,maybe the washstand was shifted to somewhere at the bottom of Mary's bed to allow the photographer to get round with his kit and then when this artsist did his drawing from the top of the room the washstand would have appeared to be between bed and wall..hope this makes sense..try to visualise it tho!
Cheers
Suzi

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 3:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,
I agree entirely,I would consider it a good bet, that , the original layout of the room, was not as shown in that sketch, and indeed the room fixtures were moved about , in order to produce , both pictures.
I visualize, that the table was moved nearer the window[ with flesh on] the bed pulled nearer the door, the washstand moved to the top right of kellys bed, and the photograph,which shows the close up, was taken from the position the washstand was originally in, that being to the right of the fireplace.
Once completed the contents were placed back in the original position, and the most famous picture was taken.
I am still intrested in two points.
a] The bottle of beer
B] The candle.
Both these items were shown on the mantlepeice, could the beer . kelly reported to Maxwell, she had drunk , be the contents of that bottle?.
I Wonder, if the candle was always placed on the mantlepeice, when in use, or placed on her bedside table, I would have imagined the latter,this could imply that she did not require the candle, that night as there was light from a fire, or that she was killed before lighting it, or the killer moved it out of the way from the table, and placed it on the mantlepeice, to make room for her body contents.
Richard.

M.Mc.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These covers seem as either paper back or a hard book covering. The book I saw had no paper cover that I saw anyway. It was a plain black book with writing on the book it's self. I didn't get it because it cost more than I had on me at the time. This was years ago too so finding this book among so many others maybe a needle in a heystack. I know I didn't see it the last time I went to a book store, I saw so many book on this subject too. I sent over an hour in there but I looked at other book subjects too. But in any case thank you for pointing these two covers out, I really want to at least look through these too. However if someone comes across this book I saw years ago please let me know, I would like to have it now. I didn't know what I came across at the time I saw it. I wish I had photocopied that page but I didn't think that either. (SIGHS) For all I know this book may have be out of print after all this time or the writer may have changed a few things in reprint. I don't know but I did see this book and that was writen in there.

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As to the FM on MJK's wall, I fear that it is merely an artifact of repeated photocopying added to the human habit of seeking patterns in everything. Speaking as the guy who scanned, enhanced, and sized about a third of the photos on the Casebook, I can say that the FM shows up better the more often the photo is copied. And that it looks- in the sharpest enhancements -like something that has been stitched together out of random dark blotches in the background. With a great deal of contrast enhancement to a copy of the photo that does show the FM, the enhancement process makes the putative letters look as if they were pressed down into the photo through another sheet of paper. I'm not saying that is the case, just what it looks like when you play Graphics Program games with the image.

Vila

Maria Giordano
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't you think that if the killer really wanted to leave a message he would have dipped his finger-or something- in blood and written it clearly?

Remember Joseph Heirens who wrote " for god's sake catch me before I kill again..." in lipstick.

Valerio
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 8:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for my english,but I write from Italy,in Italy,except for the book of P.Cronwell,there aren't books on the Ripper.
I want to know if is possibile that the ripper was
a policeman?
And if is possibile I want to know if someone has some informations about the died of a child of surname was Gill(i red it of the book of P.Cronwell)
Thanks and ciao!

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can see the HART, although part of the "H" is the wood panelling and I can almot see the "Catch never you" to me though it looks like "Cash nev y" But could someone please show me on the photo, just where is the notorious FM?

Sergeant Charles Eyton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Valerio, in fact we now know for certain that Jack was a policeman. He was P.C. Neill, the only person who disagrees with this is Patricia Cornwell as he was a distant ancestor of hers.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.