Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through February 08, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Creative Writing and Expression » Artwork: Whitechapel and the Victims of JtR » Archive through February 08, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Yes, I am at least a moderate fan of his early stuff, but I didn't know that was a reference to him.
Pay no attention to it -- just another one of my attempts to shoot from the hip with the English language.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3895
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

Bowie had a song on the "Space Oddity" album (his first album I think) called Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 6:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob!
Take a look at the Minimalist thread!!! Have discovered a whole trench of undiscovered talent here and will post tomorrow!
:-) :-)

Suzi

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 5:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOLY SMOKE!

Jane the renditions are fabulous! The pic of Stride took my breath away, not to be nit picky or anything...but I would have left the deformity of the upper lip. It is a fact that she had some sort of "hair lip" or something which would make her more life like. I LOVE IT THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!! You are very talented on your computer and your insight to guessing how people look. Have you ever seen that criminalist that molds peoples faces out ot clay and makes a PERFECT bust of the suspect?
Youur talents are very similar! KUDOS TO YOU!

Also have you seen the pic of Annie Chapman that was made in 1869? Its the only photo of any of the victims. Its in a lot of the new Ripper books. Just thought that might help. Youre the best.

Paul

Jane
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul,

I have got the shot of Annie in life, but the quality is so bad I would literally have to paint over the top as a portrait, unless someone had a good shot of it and it would be easier.

Thanks for your comments though, I have to say the computer does must of the work, I just tellit what to do! My computer's called Phantom, he's cool and does everything I tell him!

I did consider putting the lip as was on, but I think the Princess Alice story might have been a porky as the post mortem showed no sign of deformity apparently. I seem to remember paraphrasing here that she was described as having a full lascivious mouth and something uncomplimentary about it being a sign of her low nature or something to that effect. Anyone got a record of the exact words? I seem to remember they were not very nice.

I left it off in the end, because it didn't seem fair not to give her the benefit of the doubt, it could have been caused by the way she was lying or post mortem, so I gave the poor girl a break.

All the best

Jane

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 7:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,

The story jane told was that she didnt have a palate in the roof of her mouth, which was determined at the autopsy. SHe did howver have her front teeth knocked out somehow.

When he and Stride owned the coffe shop a long time ago, people used to call her Mother Gum, because when she smiled on one side of her mouth, her lip went all the way to the top of the gum line. This was probably due to a hairlip....but I dont know that for a fact. She was examined by drs blackwell and Phillips and there was no mention of an injury to her lip, so Im guessing it was a birth defect. All the best
Paul

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2863
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, although Blackwell and Phillips for some strange reason didn't mention this deformity, I'd say it was not a post mortem injury.
She was indeed called Mother Gum (and something else referring to that -- I just can't remember), so she probably had some sort of deformity on the upper lip since years back (which she probably used as proof of "accuracy" of her story about the Princess Alice disaster).
It is also possible that it could be a result of the syphilis she had catched in Sweden or the mercury "cure" connected to it.

Still, since we are not 100% sure, I think it's a good idea to leave it as it is.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Jane
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Paul and Glenn,

I'd never heard that story before, that's probably what the description was about. Never made sense until now. Thanks. I think I probably just remembered an old message board discussing it somewhere. I will leave her as she is though, she deserves that much I think.

Love Jane

xxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2865
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,

I agree; I think that's the best thing to do as well. And I would not want you too fiddle anymore with that amazing portrait anyway. It's more than fine as it is.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2870
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie, Suzi, jane, et al ...!!!!!

On your request, I have know posted -- as promised -- some of my art stuff on the Pub Talk thread called "Art & Paintings by Glenn L Andersson".

Take it for what it is.

Now, I am the one who's putting on my crash helmet!!!!

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
Right just trying to repost the'Rothko' stuff again!
and it WONT work! Ok am trying again! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh God here I go again!

Whoo hoo technology eh!

Suzi xx

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to see you"ve brought these over.I love the colours.
Natsxxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 6:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ni Nats
Thanks..............but cant see the Rothko connection....is my old Art teacher thing leaving me...probably run off in disgust maybe!!!!!

Suzi xxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 6:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi as well Nats!!!!!!
Oh god...the tight white suits coming on here I think!!!
Suzixxx

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi,

Just noticed your pics on this thread, sorry for not getting here sooner. I need chocolate!

Your paintings are so vibrant. I love the colours too, it's a pity we can't see them bigger because they lose a lot of detail being so small. They are so 'alive' though, you can feel movement in them and quite bit of passion. Your paintings are definitely ' feel'
paintings and considering the subject it seems to work really well. let's see more girl! Get that brush out!

I'm having to fight for the computer today so I won't be able to post again until much later.
But I have got my chocolate!

lots of love

Jane

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi,
I love the suggestion of a face in the window and the parallel lines which match those of Whites Row Car Park and hint that everything that is here will melt, dissolve and may meet in infinity or recreate itself from the ashes-like the phoenix bird perhaps?
The colours are fantastic and alluring like a hymn to the devil or the siren"s singing and so is that incandescent window behind which a young woman was sacrified to a madman"s ecstacy.Brilliant.
Natsxxx

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4011
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi

Never mind if it's Rothko or Emperor Roscoe - I like it.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Going to have a look at that one again!!!!!

God Robert! careful we're showing our age here ...you mentioned him......and I knew who you meant!!
he He
Suzix}

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh well
What is it about that carpark eh? Heres some more!!
Not loading here! Crisis!
Suzi????????????

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Will try again!!!

What is it with me and this site 'eh??

Suzi xxx

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great Suzi,....have already written on the first one but it looks even lovelier for being enlarged!
The second is interesting with its focus on the refuge....I wonder....was this another place he cased on the look out for homeless women?-It is less than a minute"s walk from where Millers Court used to be after all.
I have several paintings ready to post but there hasnt been time.I need to read up on how to post them again!
Love Natsxxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

S'easy Nats!!!!
Borrow the floppy disc bearing digi cam from school and bombard the boards with stuff at the weekend!....Thats MY excuse!!!
Anyway thanks for your kind words and want to see some more of yours! Get posting!!!

Love Suzixxx

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,thanks for that and it might be an idea actually.I am envious of how you are now so good at it!
Natsxxx

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Suzi,

Great stuff again. That first one made me shiver, it really captures the moment. There is something about your stuff that is so evocative. Please post some more soon. I love them!

lots of love

Jane

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane and Nats!!! :-)

THANKS !!!!!God its great to hear all this Oh God .......right........... brush(es) up!!....!and then I must ..MUST get to bed soon ...Right you two lets get going again 'eh?

Loads of love

Suzi xx

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4025
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi

I love the way Kosminski's bestriding everything like a colossus in the third one!

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 1:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Rob thanks for that! Made me smile!
The thread of Gold maybe I thought may help! |Oooooh I duuno its just a collage but it's tiny ...love it tho Thanks again
Suzix

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Rob thanks for that! Made me smile!
The thread of Gold maybe I thought may help! |Oooooh I duuno its just a collage but it's tiny ...love it tho Thanks again
Suzix

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 5:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI everyone,

Here's Mary at last. Obviously just my personal interpretation of what she might have looked like. I've made her blond because that's what it says she was here on the site, so I've got the powers that be behind me.

If you think you would rather a dark version though I have one ready and I will post
it if anyone would like to see it. I prefer the blond one I have to say and she did seem to prefer it too!!!!!

I totally terrified to post this, but I had to take the plunge sooner or later. I'm going to have a stiff drink and wait for the armoured divisions to roll in!

love to all

Jane

Mary Kelly

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, some of the colours have come out a bit odd again, it's something to do with gamma or whatever according to my daughter, so some of the lines have come out a bit harsh.

Let me know if you want to see the darker version.

xxxxxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3080
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,

As I've already seen the first version of it, there'll be no outbursts this time.

If anyone doesen't need a stiff drink after seeing this -- and I mean that in a good way -- they need to be incarcerated.
As you already know, I LOOOOOOVE it and I like the way she explores us with her eyes. What you have created is a tough young woman with her own mind, and still fragile in some way. I think the psychology is just splendid and all in all, it's a very bold and direct picture that probably will knock a lot of people off their seats.

As for the facial form and features, I definitely think this could be her.
I'd say this is your best work so far after Eddowes (in my personal opinion), although all of them is good. Not to mention the fact how hard it is to construct a portrait of someone we really dont know how she looked like. It is certainly an almost impossible task! Judging from that, you have created a miracle.
I got a complete shock when I saw the preview, and I think many will have the same reaction -- not only because most of us probably have some sort of expectation in our own mind what she may have looked like -- but mainly because she is so incredibly alive and natural. It's like she's risen from the grave.

I wonder what Richard and Leanne thinks about this (and if they don't like it, I will never buy their book).

As for the shade of the hair, Jane,
I think you are right in the end (without having seen the other one); although some sources indicate she might have been rather dark, some say the complete opposite, and it is my belief now that this is what probably works best for the picture as such and may provde the best solution.
But it will be interesting to hear other people's opinion about it, and if others have different views about how dark or light her hair was.

It is stunning, Jane!And it took alot of guts to do it -- I probably never would've had the courage to do it myself.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

(Message edited by Glenna on February 07, 2005)

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 489
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane

Absolutely beautiful. My only concern is that I believe her hair was more swept back of her forehead, with no parting. But otherwise it's wonderful.

Rob

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,
Interesting because this is how I too envisaged her-----before I tried to reconsrtuct her face.I spent some four nights drawing and redrawing her on squared paper you name it and the image was always the same
for me,much like I posted last year.
But its great to see what you have created and how well that matches my previous image of her.Somehow records of Mary seem to encourage images that are a sort of prototype of that type of Irish beauty.Cascades of strawberry blond hair
around a robust,strong featured fair skinned face.
One reservation,although he almost scalped her
her forehead,despite that fact, seemed high on close observation and with a trace of the widows peek about it.
Anyway it is a very lovely portrait
Natsxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3081
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

I wouldn't be so sure.
I have a box at home full of police photos of prostitutes ranging form the years 1875--1910, and quite many -- especially the younger girls -- do have this hairstyle, and according to those this is spot on.
I don't think we should be too much dependent on the rather idealised and prototype-like ones delivered by the Illustrated Press (as Natalie implies as well), where she also is dressed up in rather fancy Victorian clothing.

I am not saying this is how MJK might have worn it for sure, but there is really nothing that indicates that she didn't.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

I was just going by the photo we do have of Mary, which looks swept back. Which has just given me a thought. If most women, when they get ready for bed let, there hair down and brush it through, would that mean Mary wasn't in bed asleep when Jack attacked?

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I think it is a great likeness, and one thing that stood out was that there seemed to me, a real person and not a painting in Jane's recreation.

All the best

Rob

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 6:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for putting me out of my misery everyone, I was sitting here getting rather drunk!

I have to be truthful and say that Natalie is right about the forehead, It could well have been a bit higher. I might explore that a bit further and see what happens. I wonder how she would look with her hair pulled back without the parting? I might try it to see how it looks, it can't do any harm. I must say I nearly had several blue fits doing Mary. She's quite an elusive lady. I might have a go at those tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks for coming in so quickly anyway to stop me from becoming totally p****d! I was having kittens about this one!

Jane

xxxxx

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, wonderful Jane--

I must admit I've been waiting for Mary for a long time.

When I first looked I thought it was a photo of a bust, it's so realistic. I,too,think the expression in her eyes is just right.

Just great, I really can't say more. Thank you.
Mags

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

That's an interesting point that Robert made. Most women do let there hair do it's own thing when they go to bed. If you look at the mortuary shot, it is swept back from her forehead, but then if she was drunk and just collapsed into bed, that could be just how it was. I know when I go to bed tiddly as I am tonight, the last thing I think about is brushing my hair!!! It was a good thought though, would it have been pulled back like that if she was just asleep in bed?

I hate to say it, but it is possible that it was manhandled a bit during the murder, which might account for the way it is drawn so tightly back. Horrible thought, but not unlikely.

I did go back and check the mortuary photo just now and drew over it and it does look as if the forehead is about right in the pic above. I'd be interested to see what other's think.

lots of love

a rather tiddly Jane

xxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3083
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

An interesting question.
Yes, I do believe they let her hair down and brushed it through, but I don't know if it's possible to really provide an answer to what that means in relation to your question, though.

Her hair is pretty much a mess on the crime scene photo, and probably rather wet from blood, gore and other nasty stuff and we don't know what happened to it while the killer had a go at her head.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Glenn - I totally concur with what you put above and was just about to post it myself.

Jane - I can't do better than post here what I e-mailed Glenn earlier tonight :

"You simply can't equate that with what was found in Miller's Court and you know that Jane has worked from accounts and what you can see in the bed shot and you also know that Jane had the arduous task of trying to turn that into a real person - not just the hard work, but the trauma of interpreting what was left of MJK close-up.

You are right - I liked all the others, but this is just WEIRD. You could be forgiven for thinking it is just a made-up person, but you know it's not. Definitely worth the wait and extremely haunting.
"

It's taken out of context of a longer e-mail, so I should clarify here I think it is incredible.

PHILIP
x
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 3:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jane,
your interpretation of MJK is first class, you have captured her age, her buxom appearence, her looks and features that depicts a kind of 'I can handle myself' yet one can also detect a sense of insecurity.
I had always believed Marys hair to be a darker shade mayby a Red Head, hence the nickname 'Ginger' however that reference could have been to a likeing for Ginger Beer.
Regards Richard.

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

I have to say it was one of the hardest things I've ever done painting wise.

Most people know by now that I 'feel' the person I'm painting, a bit like the criminal psychologist's do when they try to get a 'feel' of what was going on in the perpetrator's mind. (I must be so disturbed!)

With Mary I had nothing to work from at all and I did stare for ages at the photo of her poor remains, waiting for something to come from it. I did draw over it carefully to get the proportions right, but that was about all I could do. The reason her forehead looks higher in the photo on the bed, is, I think because the sides are shaded and it is an optical illusion. I'll tidy up the overdrawing I did and post it so that anyone can see if they're interested. Also in the pic I did, she's sticking her chin out so there is a bit of foreshortening.

The hair I think I did like that on purpose, although I never really know why I do something, I don't have much choice sometimes, I'm 'forced' to go in a certain direction. I wanted to portray the feeling of freeness of spirit. I thought having it pulled back would make her look too restrained and I just feel that is not what Mary was like. That's just a personal view of course.

I suppose at the end of it, I don't ever actually think about the pics at all, apart from checking the colouring. They do what they want to do.
I just sit there and let them do it.

Sorry I'm waffling, thanks for the comments.

lots of love

Jane

xxxxx

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that. I knew you would have had a really fixed idea of what Mary was like and I'm pleased that it was not too opposed to your version of her.

The hair was a nightmare, You are certainly right about her possibly being a darker red, although I had heard that she may have been a blond that used henna on her hair as many prostitutes did almost as a mark of their trade.

I recently found out that apparently the younger ones used to wear blue a lot as well to show their profession. I'd be interested to find out more about that if anyone has any information on it.

All the best

Jane

Legion
Inspector
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane -

I have no idea how I've missed this thread up until this point. Whatta mistake on my part!! You, madame, kick serious artistic arse. You r0x s0x. Allow me to say that this is, hands down, some of the more powerful stuff pertaining to JTR I've personally had the pleasure of viewing for some time.

Please, keep up the great work!!

Legion

*EDIT*

In looking back through the thread, a lot of people deserve some thanks. So good on ya and keep up the great work :-)

(Message edited by crix0r on February 08, 2005)
"Our name is legion, for we are many"

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,
truly it is amazing
Jenni

Phil Hill
Detective Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane - I only just saw the MJK portrait, and i am stunned.

Mary came alive for me in a way she never has before. Thank you.

A pretty girl though to go with the rather podgy, thickset Barnett you gave us a few days ago. That has made me think.

I cannot praise you enough or thank you enough - that image will, I think haunt me forever.

In gratitude,

Phil

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4050
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane, I of course don't know whether she looked like this, but it is a memorable picture - a hard face, except for the eyes....

Robert

mal x
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes very good indeed, but also quite haunting..she looks dead or she knows she's going to die, i find that illustration a bit disturbing........maybe it's because it's too ``accurate``.

even so, fantastic illustration

Joan Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RE Mary; Your Mary, Jane, she's 'no nonsense', doesn't suffer fools, but still very sensual and gentle. I think what's lovely about this rendition is the faraway look in her eyes. (I'd love to do one when I get around to it). I believe you've caught a very special aspect to her, Jane. Also, the rendition of her features is good. It's important to look at the bone structure, difficult task though it is in some cases.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.