Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through March 04, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Creative Writing and Expression » Artwork: Whitechapel and the Victims of JtR » Archive through March 04, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natalie Severn
Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paintings and drawings inspired by the still unsolved events of 1888.

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "Ten Bells", Fournier Street

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Polly Nichols

St Botolphs Church

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary Kelly

Mary Kelly's room, 13 Miller's Court

Modern view of Kings Bench Walk

Artillery Lane

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Corner of Wentworth Street at night

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 903
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie, I am impressed, but if you could see your way to standing the pictures on their head, or feet, I'd be very grateful, as I always look at this situation from an upside down point of view and then everyone shouts at me.
If I didn't have to have a circus wire strapped to my chest to view your paintings I think I would like them.
Please!

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 353
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Dear AP Thanks and you are quite right I am sorry you are expected to have Houdini"s abilities to view the paintings.Its Andy"s first attempt to do this and we neither of us know enough to turn the images upright though that is how they were sent.
Maybe in the next week or so he[or I] will work out how to correct them.
Also the reproduction isnt as clear as the paintings really are.
Never mind I"ve been working on them for several months and am so glad to have got so far as tonight with them!
Best Natalie

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

Lovely paintings, and well worth the wait. Got a stiff neck looking at them, but it was well worth it.

All the best

Rob

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou Robert,I am so pleased you liked them and sorry they are like that.
The drawing of Mary Kelly"s face was done from her photo and is a "reconstruction" if I can call it that based on the information from the threads as well as the photo of her.I did four drawings in all and each threw up a similar image.But in the case of her eyes there was no information to
"construct" with so I had to just guess.The rest though fragmented and damaged was possible to work with.I believe it may resemble her.
Best Natalie.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 937
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie
Love the paintings - with deference to you here they are for us non-Houdinis:-)
Chris

Chris0102

(Message edited by admin on March 01, 2004)

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

And it is a very good likeness. I always pictured Mary Kelly as the actress Lysette Anthony (who played her in the Michael Caine tv series). I have to change my mind now.

Rob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is great stuff, Natalie. I too would appreciate a 90 degree rotation, but it was good to see them at last. I'm not going to tell you which one's my favourite, but they were all damn good.

And it was nice to see such a colourful treatment of the subject.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 6:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha! Thanks Chris.

You can feel very proud of these, Natalie.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris.Thanks a lot for that.Also glad you liked them it makes me feel it was worth doing.
There are still two more one of Christchurch which is a bit spooky[its still up North until Easter] and one I"m working on of Mary -a painting.

Robert you know I always though of Mary as looking like one of the actresses who played her
Susan Penhaligon I think it was.So it added to the surprise.However the eyes can make a lot of difference and apart from having a hint of how her eyebrows were the eye area is guess work.
Natalie

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to you too Robert[CL].Glad you enjoyed them.

Chris thats really kind of you to have put them upright-Many many Thanks![I think they need "framing "now!

I"m off to get some sleep now.
Best Wishes Natalie.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 938
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie - I definitely do have a favourite:-)
Wentworth Street at Night - love it!
The rest are super but that one just has something that stands out for me
All the best
Chris

Julia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie,

These are great. I especially love the drawing of Mary. She seems innocent but street-wise...just the way I picture her.

Regarding Chris' comment, which one is Wentworth Street at Night?

Julia

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 4:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Julia
If you pass your mouse cursor over each picture a box should appear giving the title.
Wentworth Street at Night was the last one in Natalie's original post
Chris

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 4:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie
Many thanks for your private mail which I would very much like to respond but your own e-mail address was not included and your profile says you do not accept private messages.
Can you let me know how to contact you re. what you wrote as I was quite overwhelmed by your message and your offer:-)
The framing you mentioned will not be a problem and I will get it done for you
All the best
Chris

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Julia,Glad you liked them.There is still a bit to do re presentation but-gradually its getting there.
Best Natalie

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 905
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 1:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Ten Bells

I love the rounded anticipation in this image, the way the painting seems to curve in expectation of the two solitary figures on opposite sides of the street. Although downcast and small the two figures are responding to the curves of the buildings surrounding them and are leaning towards one another with body gesture, subtle but severe enough to catch the eye as it follows the curves of the buildings, perhaps indicating where the two may walk off as separate entities but will become twinned in the dimmer areas beyond the curve of the picture, and buildings.
The pleasant pooling and splashing of light in the painting is cut by the use of black to emphasise the cut of the dominating buildings; people walk down those streets and do all sorts of things to each other but the buildings remain the same, cast in stone and not cast in fragile bone.
There is a free and easy feel of anticipated pleasure to the image, someone is smoking a fag and posing, someone else is waiting for something and observes the time spent and the person opposite, one can almost see the person flick the fag away and walk over to say ‘Hi, how ya doing?’ and then see them walk off together, the brooding menace of the buildings curving and curving into a narrow channel, directing them into the area beyond the image where the image leaves us guessing at what little game we see enacted in front of us.
I love this to bits, well done Natalie.

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 2:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks AP.Glad you like it so much.
Best Natalie

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 732
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very well done Natalie,
I Do respect talent, and you cetainly have that in abundance, I especially , like the kelly picture, it has a haunting look.
We are certainly progressing on this site, and it is a great feeling to be part of it.
Regards Richard.

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard.Thankyou for your comments.I am so pleased you liked the drawing of Mary.I spent a long time trying to get close to the facial structure and others on these boards all provided valuable clues.I believe this will be a fairly close likeness,though the face may have been very slightly longer and it could also have been fuller.But the supporting bone structure was I believe like this.
You are so right about this site.Its hard to keep pace everybody is doing something creative it seems!Looking forward to your work with Leanne.
Best Wishes Natalie.

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 908
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Polly

She looks like she is waiting to be interviewed, like she is waiting for a job opportunity, but she is too tired for all that crap, so she smokes a fag and pushes her drink around the table - the glass is too small, it should be massive, it should be a pint, or was she fussy and liked a glass of Porto?
I don’t know. There is too much space in the picture - no criticism - but it allows the walls of green glass behind her to invade the image with their seductive power of alcohol - she’s back-grounded by green bottles; ten green bottles sitting on the wall and when one green bottle should accidentally fall then there’ll be no green bottles sitting on the wall.
The way her arm and wrist falls is like broken and floppy, like she don’t care, I mean when you sell your snatch for four pence what does it matter what your wrist and arm look like? Not important.
She scratch around the table and has more patina on her face than make-up, she has lines that sort of square the image, for the image is clean apart from her face, which has lines which drag you down to the table, where her glass stands idle, just above the fag, and broken wrist, that floppy wrist which appears to beckon…
If I have a complaint, it is that there is no chatter in the image. But maybe she wanted it like that, maybe she was pissed and just wanted to go home to bed and had nobody to carry her image home, so she was asleep before the journey began.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a great portrait of Kelly, Natalie. I home in on the eyes, which is as it should be.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the Polly one. I have a bit of trouble interpreting it (but then my eyesight's poor). From her face, she looks fed-up but it's as if she's been caught at the precise moment that a look of determination dawns on her face - determination to get up and earn her doss?

On the other hand she might just be plastered. If she was really far gone though I think there'd be a few little bits of fag ash on the table.

Intriguing anyway.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have seen things in it that Polly would have related too.Thanks for your comments AP.They are very interesting and helpful.
Natalie

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its the only one in the above lot that has been taken from another painting.The painting is by Manet called La Prune[thats the drink].The prostitute is about twenty and dressed in peach with fresh peachy skin and sort of plump little wrists and hands.A really lovely work. But aging her and thinking of Polly"s features and dressing her in dark colours changed it .The composition itself is not so good either.But It served as a great template.Polly herself?far too fond of the booze---like they all were.
Natalie

Frank van Oploo
Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie,

Beautiful! And some are very ‘atmospheric’ too (is that a good word?). Great style. I think you did a great job on Mary Jane as well. “Artillery Lane” and “Wentworth Street by Night” are my favourites.

Frank

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 3:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank,Thankyou for your comments.Glad you enjoyed the paintings.Nice to talk to you again.
Best Wishes Natalie

Julia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie,

That one also makes me think of that Degas painting, "Glass of Absinthe" which is very similar to the Manet painting. They both seem to offer a glimpse of the lives of these women. I wish I knew how to post pictures because I think its important to see how such individuals were portrayed by the artists of the era.

Can anyone post these two paintings? (The Degas and Manet, "La Prune")
Julia

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 813
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 2:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nat,

With art, I never quite know what one is supposed to like, or why, but I know what I like – and I love yours!

Thank you so much for sharing your hard work with us. Every picture tells a story and all that. Yours are nothing short of delightful – whichever way I look at ‘em.

Love,

Caz

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,thanks I do appreciate your words because thats what a lot of it is about.And I"m so glad they gave you some pleasure.
While I am thinking about It was great seeing loads of copies of your book out on the shelves
of Books etc and I intend buying a copy on Saturday.Cant wait to read it.
Cheers Nats.

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 371
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 2:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Julia yes I like those two as well but while I know a bit about Art Iam nearly illiterate with the computer and will have to wait a bit longer before I can post such images.
All the Best
Natalie

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 912
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, St Botolphs of Aldgate… the cathedral of the whore.
Not sure that I like this image so much, maybe because it’s daylight? That blue sky just rips me apart. Too glad and soaring for a whore’s ripped belly. But I suppose it is now, and that was then.
There is something about Thomas the tank engine - or perhaps better one of his smug cousins - in the spire as it rears and thrusts its proud head up into the London skyline - if I were but Wilson I could rant and rave about sexual innuendo and symbolism - and that London skyline is perched behind blessed Botolphs like a tidal wave of Victorian gentlemen about to crash onto the rocky shores full of pox-ridden whores.
It does work, conveying the shock of what goes on beneath the building’s respectable and severe petticoats of creamy white paint, yes, the old church has thighs.
The structure itself looks just like a Victorian prison, and I suppose it is.
One can imagine the people below walking through that arched prison gate and never coming back.
A spire of faith in a sea of whores. Nothing has changed, apart from the whores wear suits today.

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Original interpretation isnt in it AP!I"m enjoying this.
Its true that the city built to the glory of Mammon,godless brutal and violent[as someone once put it] seems to be dwarfing St Botolphs and that the church itself has nothing of the sanctuary about it...go on!
Natalie

Joseph Barnett
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 6:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These are extraordinary. The first one (with the two figures on the street) is my favoprite. I am drawn to the balance of it and your excelent use of shading. Well done - I'd hang it proudly in my study. - Joseph Barnett

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Natalie,

Excellent! I love all the street-scenes. You've really captured the mood! I've studied art, so I am tell you the truth!

You should sign them, and try to sell them!

LEANNE

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne,Thanks for your kind words!It"s very good to know others have studied it.Do you paint now?If you do why not put up yours as well-that would be great.
I dont know whether Jack the Ripper paintings would sell and up to now havent wanted to part with them but its a bit different on here because others share the fascination.
Maybe a ripper conference would be the place to take them.
I do other kinds but get very engrossed in these
JtR ones.
This morning I was reading a post of yours actually about Mrs Maxwell and my imagination started to go on over-spin.
Nice to talk to you Leanne.I"ve read so much about yours and Richards book I cant wait nor can I keep up with the talent on these posts-other than in painting!
Cheers Natalie

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 916
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Miller’s Court

The window is as big as a cinema screen and the girl is clawing her way onto the screen, she wants to be somebody, but the somebody she is has grown wings from the white bed cover and flown away. The guy stares into the fire, he looks like he could spit and put the whole fire out and then walk out of the door. No big deal, seems to be in his head.
The image is complicated and too fussy for me. I’m not happy with it.
I see where the imagery is going but it don’t take me there.
I’m left at the window with the girl, trying to get in, but obviously the girl was trying to get out, and she did, on the wings that grew from her dirty white bed cover, and as she flapped her angel wings the blood spattered the room and wrote the signature of her slaughter all over the walls.
Or was she a witness?
I can see, Natalie, already that your strength and prowess in this form of art does shine in street scene. At that you are a master.
Leave the symbolism to charlatans like me.
I won’t comment on Mary’s portrait as I never did meet her.

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Natale,

When I left school I became a commercial artist, then got into the computer and Graphic design/desktop publishing. Along the way I've studied cartooning/Illustration, the 'Elements and Principles of design', the history of painting and have drawn more than I've painted.

My boyfriend paints all the time, and has sold some of his stuff. It's a great BUZZ for him to have someone display his work in their house!

I think a Ripper Conference would be an ideal place to take your work, (ones you want to sell, plus ones you just want to display).

Go with the street scenes, because anyone who isn't interested in Jack the Ripper will like them, and that will widen your list of potential buyers.,,,,and sign them!

LEANNE

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You comment on these so eloquently AP.Thankyou.
I love the lavish expression you give to that moment.
The girl is dead but her soul hovers before oblivion.

But you are right,its best left to the poet to say.

Natalie

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

Re the commercial side, I think you would be a good person for an author to have designing their latest book cover.

Also, it would be nice if your stuff were exhibited at the Whitechapel Gallery.

Ripper conferences would be a good place, also the Cloak and Dagger.

I'd really love to see these close up. I find that TV programmes about painters are a good way for me to look at paintings - the close up camera work is much better than a photo in a book. When I go to a gallery, I lose concentration because of people looking over my shoulder etc.

Leanne, love to see some of your paintings - hope they're not all of Barnett!

Robert

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 5:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,this is so kind of you.And great stuff that you have done all this studying.I bet your work is exciting!I would love to see it.
My mother was a painter and sold most of her work.
I have studied Art and these last 10-15 years in particular have covered quite a bit of ground.I
studied with a really inspiring artist who teaches in the Central London Schools though currently I go to the studio of a tutor from St Martins College.He is first a painter and then a teacher but I get a lot of encouragement which I seem to need.He likes my work so that helps.
I dont go that often now because its dear so I have been thinking of selling my paintings to pay for the studio visits[and going more often].
I"ve really got something from the paintings I have done on Whitechapel-its so full of old London
atmosphere and ghosts that havent been laid to rest!
Oh and yes Leanne I will try to get round to that next and sign my paintings and once again thanks so much for your interest.
Best Wishes Natalie.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.