Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through January 03, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Which Known SK Would You Compare him to? » Archive through January 03, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2742
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats my reading of it too Howard.They simply wont let anyone or anything stand in their way-it does seem like like genius and insanity you are right-
single minded determination taken to the ultimate degree-but not I think psychopaths?
Nats

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 535
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie--

I have to take exception to your characterization of paranoid schizophrenics as "ice cool with regard to emotion".

I have lived with a close family member who is a PS for many years and ice cool is just about the last way he acts.He exhibits great rage on occasion and has been arrested for attacking someone with a knife over a small gesture on that person's part which his confused perceptions mis interpreted. While he can be very cunning at times, especially if he's on his meds, he's also often frightened. Imagine living in a kind of dream all the time where you can't trust any of your senses and at some level knowing that.

It's a horrid disease.
Mags

David Radka
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dradka

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Brown wrote: "You did say psychopaths weren't capable of real emotional expression. Lighten up...I'm not stabbing you in the back. I'm simply telling you the truth to your face. So was Dan."

>>Baloney. My position, which is taken directly from psychiatric texts on psychopaths, is that these people do not experience a compliment of emotions deep enough to generate in them an adequate sense of reality, as normal people do. I have never altered this position, and have clearly reiterated it at least twenty-five times on this web site in response to questions. Both you and Mr. Norder have shown that you aren't capable of understanding what this position is, or what it means. Every time I explain it, you immediately take it for meaning something entirely different. Your interpretations of what I mean change often, based on what you write, yet all of them are wrong, indicating that you are desperately trying to understand something that's quite over your heads. You are joined in the same inadequacy by Mr. Hamm. The reasons for your joint misunderstandings are (1) General lack of insight into human nature, (2) General lack of insight into matters of the arts and sciences, and (3) Lack of study of psychiatric materials.

Additionally, Mr. Norder and Mr. Brown are self-seeking liars. Their joint purpose is to sell readers subscriptions, and they will say and do anything that seems conducive to this purpose. I urge people reading these threads to not take a pig in a poke as far as these two are concerned. Read all background materials referred to for yourselves, do your own comparing and thinking, and don't rely on them for information of any kind.
David M. Radka
Author: "Alternative Ripperology: Questioning the Whitechapel Murders"
Casebook Dissertations Section

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2744
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Maria,
This may be a bit of a misunderstanding.When i say the individuals concerned do not experience emotion I am meaning the range of feelings experienced.
One of the commonest complaints of a paranoid schizophrenic person is that when others are grieving s/he is unable to feel any grief,also that their life is"emotionless"-that they are unable to cry.

Such people have often been leaders/crusaders etc.In the name of some fanatical ideal s/he may convince him/her self that bloodshed is trivial
[think Hitler/Joan of Arc/John Brown].

I quote from a medical book on the subject:In order to conceive of a personality type that may be both conscientious and cruel one must remember the combination in a schizoid of a sharp conscience with a dull,inadequate,cold,emotional
reaction.[Everyday Psychiatry-Campbell]

Cheers

Natalie

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 3:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave Dear:

"Additionally, Mr. Norder and Mr. Brown are self-seeking liars. Their joint purpose is to sell readers subscriptions, and they will say and do anything that seems conducive to this purpose."

Ha ha !! You must have that kimono wrapped too tight and standing too close to that fire,pal !

I push for people to support [$$$$] Ripperologist and WS1888 on my site,as well as for my fellow fact fabricator from the Cheese State. You know that. You're must be teething today...try a shot of tequila.

You know Dave...paranoia is a sign of psychopathic behavior. Be careful buddy and take your meds.

Anyway...back to the intent of the thread:

Any other s.k's we can compare The Ripper to ?

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Brown: "You know Dave...paranoia is a sign of psychopathic behavior. Be careful buddy and take your meds."

>>I am neither paranoid nor a psychopath, and I take no psychotropic medications such as Haldol or Thorazine, as Mr. Brown has malevolently lied to everyone.

I hope everyone can see what I mean about Mr. Brown. For someone to say that psychopathy results in paranoia indicates a complete inability to understand psychopathy. There are no mental symptoms whatever, including paranoia, associated with the syndrome of psychopathy. Mr. Brown knows NOTHING about what I'm talking about in my work. His notions concerning how I've misrepresented the condition here, reiterated many times by him, are themselves WORTHLESS and LIES. Whatever you do, please make sure you do not allow this person to hustle you.

(Message edited by Dradka on December 26, 2005)
David M. Radka

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, but I had to BOYCOTT the last two posts, from Howard Brown's dated Monday December 26th, 2005 - 3:30 p.m. through David Radka's dated Monday December 26th, 2005 - 5:43 p.m.

Neither was kosher at this time of year.

It's Christmas, and we should be getting along.

Love,

Lyn x
My first reaction is, "OMG that's crazy". But then I'm thinking this just may be crazy enough to work.
copyright © Bradley McGinnis Sept. 2005

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave...

Sure 'bout that buddy?

Lets see....you said in a post above:

"There are no mental symptoms whatever, including paranoia, associated with the syndrome of psychopathy..."-D.Radka

Looky here........scroll down and learn something...like #4 of the related qualities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpted from http://home.datawest.net/esn-recovery/artcls/socio.htm

A number of mind-manipulating cult leaders may exhibit many of the behavioral characteristics of a sociopath--an outstanding ability to charm and seduce followers. Since they appear apparently normal, they are not easily recognizable as deviant or disturbed. Although only a trained professional can make a diagnosis, it is important to be able to recognize the personality type in order to avoid further abuse. These traits also apply to a one-on-one cultic relationship.

Manipulative and Conning
They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self
Feels entitled to certain things as "their right." Craves adulation and attendance. Must be the center of attention with their own fantasies as the "spokesman for God," "enlightened," "leader of humankind," etc. Creates an us-versus-them mentality

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge, yet testing the beliefs of their followers with bizarre rules, punishments and behaviors. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others. The followers only see them as near perfect.

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability
Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blame their followers or others outside their group. Blame reinforces passivity and obedience and produces guilt, shame, terror and conformity in the followers.

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
Changes their image and that of the group as needed to avoid prosecution and to increase income and to recruit a range of members. Is able to adapt or relocate as needed to preserve the group. Can resurface later with a new name, a new front group and a new twist on the scam.

Other Related Qualities:

Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them

Authoritarian

Secretive

Paranoid

Only rarely in difficulty with the law, but seeks out situations where their tyrannical behavior will be tolerated, condoned, or admired

Goal of enslavement of their victim(s)

Exercises despotic control over every aspect of the victim's life

Ultimate goal is the creation of a willing victim

Unable to feel remorse or guilt

Extreme narcissism and grandiose

The above traits are based on the psychopathy checklists of H. Cleckley and R. Hare. In the 1830's this disorder was called "moral insanity." By 1900 it was changed to "psychopathic personality." More recently it has been termed "antisocial personality disorder." Order: Without Conscience: The disturbing world of the psychopaths among us by Robert D. Hare.

Thats twice now you have not told the people the truth...and you call me a liar?

I may not be your ideal drinking mate,but don't call me a liar Dave. I can back up what I say.

Now wriggle out of this one.

(Message edited by howard on December 26, 2005)

(Message edited by howard on December 26, 2005)

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 9:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Brown: As I've said many times on this web site--watch out for checklists concerning psychopathy. They are an ideal way to misunderstand the syndrome. Both you and Mr. Norder have met your Waterloo on checklists. In order to understand what the syndrome is, you need to comprehensively study case histories, not checklists.

A psychopath is capable of superficially mimicking or showing forth the same emotions, behavior or symptoms as anyone else. A psychopath who observes others experiencing paranoid thoughts may deem it appropriate to do the same himself, and for all we know may actually think the KGB is after him, or whatever. But he isn't really afraid of the KGB, Mr. Brown, the way a non-psychopathic paranoid person may be. He is in fact constitutionally incapable of truly feeling afraid of anything. His emotions just don't go deep enough for that. A psychopath can have a superficial mimick- equivalent of fear, rage, love, paranoia, patriotism, or any other kind of emotion. He may deploy and display these as he sees appropriate to get what he wants from others. And he himself will think that everyone else feels the same when paranoid as he does when he mimicks the deep affects of this emotion. But no inner consciousness of adequate, implied fear factors, aggressions and inhibitions transpires in him to generate the thoughts. He is neither neurotic nor psychotic. There is nothing wrong with his thinking at all.

Consider how paranoid feeling is analogous to a sneeze. A sneeze is a symptom of a deeper condition, a cold infection let's say. In a normal person, paranoid thinking is a symptom of a complexity of deeper factors, such as insecurity, fear of borderlines, having been scared by a dog, problems with parents or schoolmates, etc. But in a psychopathic person, the paranoia isn't symptomatic of anything. It's not being generated by any inner state. It's there, but it's not real as the emotions of a normal person are. There is no normal reality being generated at all. It is a sneeze in name only. A counterfeit sneeze, if you will. It looks to us like a sneeze, and the sneezer thinks he's sneezed normally, but there is no cause of sneezing at work inside the sneezer.

You and Mr. Norder don't really know what any of these words mean: paranoia, psychopathy, fear, neurosis, real feelings, pathology, transcendence, the human personality, and hosts more. You know not of the plane along which they meaningfully occur. You are a like pair of roofers masquerading as educated men; fakers, people who read a tiny bit and think they know what they're talking about when they have no idea. Once again, folks, please avoid trusting implicitly what these two people write here. Think for yourselves.
David M. Radka

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave:

You've spent so much time relying on other people [ the two lab coats ] that you forgot how to think for yourself.

What do you mean that I don't know what "fear" is? Or what some of the other terms mean? As if you have some grasp of how everyone else really thinks ? Talk about delusional...or grandiose [ like you with your ridiculous claims at being remotely close to Da Vinci,Einstein,or Darwin...Bullwinkle is more like it.]

How in the hell do these two experts know HOW deep these emotions run on individual psychopaths !

Your post above is wholly dependent on what two clinicians say about people who don't tell the truth anyway.

Take Gary Ridgeway...he has to be considered a psychopath as well as a sociopathic sleazeball.

When one man in court, speaking on behalf of a loved one murdered by this turd [ who should have been gassed...], Ridgeway broke down in real time with real tears.

But...according to you,Ridgeway was "superficially mimicking" real emotion ?

Bullshit. He was genuinely aware of the results of his actions at that moment. He was being braced in a way he did not anticipate. He fell apart.

Who are you anyway to advise anyone on "checklists" regarding psychopathy? You're an accountant !

I got some news for you buddy...Roofing is a difficult profession. Because you cannot do it,doesn't give you the right to disparage roofers. In fact, the next time you need a new gutter,go call Bobby Hare up and get his ass up on a hot roof. Tell him you're his main sycophant. Get 10 percent off the top.

You rely on statistics and numbers too much Dave. You are really out of touch with the sweaty set.

Face it Dave...The paranoia is on the Hare-spawned list....you did claim that psychopaths didn't feel emotion...and because its Christmas time..I extend a big cyberspace hug !

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Brown: “{Ridgeway} was genuinely aware of the results of his actions at that moment. He was being braced in a way he did not anticipate. He fell apart.”

>>You project your own feelings on a person very different from you, because you haven’t studied what kind of person he is. He perhaps realized he was not going to alibi out of his present circumstances. That doesn’t mean he felt any deep emotions. All it means is he’s feeling sorry for himself in a shallow sense, like any psychopath does. I’ve seen documentaries on Ridgeway, and there is no remorse in the man for what he did to others. He is unchanged by his conviction, and still seeks to get the better of authorities by denying them information concerning his murders that he promised to give in return for their sparing his life. To say Ridgeway was “genuine” in any way as you do indicates a 180-degree lack of understanding of psychopathy. These people lack genuiness, as we understand it—that is the nature of their disorder. You know nothing.
David M. Radka

Dan Norder
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David, for crying out loud... You have no training in psychology. None. I specifically studied abnormal psych and counseling for many years in a university environment and was being fast tracked into grad school to become a psychiatrist, until I decided it wasn't for me. For you to claim that you know what various psychological terms mean and that nobody else does, even in the face of direct quotes from the self-same professionals you try to cite that prove you wrong, is deceptive in the extreme. You have proven yourself incapable of understanding even the most basic concepts of the field, and constantly try to change your claims whenever a particular strategy doesn't pan out, so much so that the various things you have said contradict each other. You've been continuing this particular farce for years... Have you no shame at all?
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 794
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no such thing as being "fast tracked" to become a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is an M.D. and it requires six years of medical school.

The delusion of these on-going arguments is the implication that there is anything even approaching a consensus about these various issues, even among professionals.

(Message edited by rjpalmer on December 27, 2005)

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well in the Concise Oxford Medical Dictionary a psychopath is described as follows:

Psychopath--- a person who behaves in an anti social way and shows little or no guilt for antisocial acts and little capacity for forming emotional relationships with others.
Psychopaths respond poorly to treatment but may mature with age.[!]

re schizophrenia:

a severe mental disorder[or group of disorders]characterised by a disintegration of the process of thinking,of contact with reality,and of emotional responsiveness.Delusions and hallucinations[especially of voices] are usual features,and the patient usually feels that his thoughts,sensations and actions are controlled by or shared with others .He becomes socially withdrawn and loses energy and initiative.There are strong genetic factors in the causation,and environment stress can precipitate illness.
[it goes on to define subgroupings eg hebephrenia/paranoia etc
So there does appear to be enough of a "medical consensus"on these conditions to place a definition in a respectable medical dictionary!
Natalie

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The delusion of these on-going arguments is the implication that there is anything even approaching a consensus about these various issues, even among professionals."

Thanks R.J....

I will refrain from arguing with Dave about the psychopathy stuff on this and the Tumblety thread as well. Maybe Dave and I can just agree to disagree or stay out each others' Hare..I mean, hair..Sorry for the hijacking folks.

Back to the thread starter...

WHICH KNOWN SK WOULD YOU COMPARE HIM TO ?
---------------------------------------

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Norder wrote:
1. “I specifically studied abnormal psych and counseling for many years in a university environment and was being fast tracked into grad school to become a psychiatrist, until I decided it wasn't for me.”

>>I’m not in a position to know if what you say about your education is true, Mr. Norder, but it looks to me like I’ve done something with psychology—e.g., used it to solve the Whitechapel murders—whereas you haven’t. Could that be why you hate me so, and why you misrepresent my work on this web site?

Additionally, I had a girlfriend named Karen who thought she might want to become a psychiatrist. She went to medical school first and got her M.D., then considered going for her PhD and doing other necessary work in psychiatry. (She ultimately opted for becoming a radiologist instead.) The point is, the M.D. degree is a prerequisite for graduate work toward becoming a psychiatrist. You don’t take graduate work in psychiatry, as I gathered from Karen, unless you are already an M.D. Do you have an M.D. degree, Mr. Norder? If not, then I would think that what you say about being “fast tracked into grad school to become a psychiatrist” is an out-and-out prevarication on your part. If so, such a misrepresentation would be par for the course for you, per your mammoth dissimulations concerning my work and that of others on this web site. Please clear up this matter for the sake of your readers immediately.

2. “For you to claim that you know what various psychological terms mean and that nobody else does, even in the face of direct quotes from the self-same professionals you try to cite that prove you wrong, is deceptive in the extreme.”

>>I know what I’m talking about. I use extensive, relevant citations from psychiatrists to support my thinking on this web site. My ideas about psychopathy and my solution to the case make sense, and follow the evidence. Show us where any of what I have written is untrue, making direct quotes from my work and psychiatric references, and avoiding your typical dissembling hyperbole.

3. “You have proven yourself incapable of understanding even the most basic concepts of the field, and constantly try to change your claims whenever a particular strategy doesn't pan out, so much so that the various things you have said contradict each other.”

>>Completely untrue. I published the A?R Summary on this web site in April 2004—20 months ago—and have no significant changes to make to it. I support my writing, and am willing and able to defend it. Please give us an example of where I have made a significant “change to my claims” as you say, quoting directly from relevant material where I made the “change.” Specifically, what “basic concepts of the field” don’t I understand? And it looks to me that if what you say about your background is true, you’re the one who didn’t “pan out” in psychology. I think you feel hurt by my success in psychology, and thus you want to hurt me.
David M. Radka

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey David,

I support my writing, and am willing and able to defend it.

Then do so. You have some unfinished business on the Tumblety thread. Be a man and answer Julie's question: Did you threaten her or was your post poorly worded?
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 9:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Stan -- (nice article in Ripperologist, BTW)

"If we're going to include the uncaught, I'll add Bible John to my previous posts. He seemed to have some issues with the female reproductive system as well. "

I hadn't heard of this guy before you mentioned him. Reading up on him it seems like his victims were all menstruating, which is weird as all heck to put it mildly. Any one ever come up with any theories as to how he knew, or what it all may have meant?
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Thanks!

I've always wondered how he knew as well. Did he have some "special" way of telling? Another possibility would be that he went off to have sex with many women and only killed the ones he found to be menstruating. Any other ideas? Hard to say why this outraged him so.

Stan

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3379
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

is it really worth all this posting!?

You made your point.

thats that.

you might not like Dan (I had noticed this) but for gods sake man, can you not just agree to disagree. How many threads does this have to go over!?

Jenni

(Message edited by jdpegg on December 28, 2005)

(Message edited by jdpegg on December 28, 2005)
"Yo, don't believe the hype"

Dan Norder
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ,

You claimed: "The delusion of these on-going arguments is the implication that there is anything even approaching a consensus about these various issues, even among professionals."

There really isn't a way to say it other than you're completely and totally wrong on that.

Professionals may argue about some minor issues, but the kinds of larger issues where Radka got them wrong above are not disputed in the slightest by the people actually in the field. You'd have to tear down everything the field has established in order to make your claim. I know that's what Mephisto tried to do in the old A?R threads, and I know that's what you have tried to do with profiling on other threads, but it really gets tedious. This is pretty much the equivalent of someone trying to claim that heavier objects fall faster, someone else pointing out that that's simply not true, then you showing up to claim that physicists don't know anything. I mean, come on, get real here. You're off in some sort of delusional reality where you ignore thousands of experts and centuries of acquired knowledge just so you can try to get a stab in during an argument on message board. That's simply not realistic.
Dan Norder, Editor

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 961
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to say that I think Jack The Ripper was very like the infamous Whitechapel Murderer of 1888.

PHILIP (Ever useful)
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 499
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 1:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

But can you back that up with hard proof? Can ya? Didn't think so. There you go again with groundless theorizing!

RJ and Dan,

Man alive, it's a shame you two can't get along. I still say RJ should write something up for Ripper Notes, like a detailed response to Wolf's two-parter.

As for serial killers most like Jack: Zodiac and the Cleveland Torso killer from the U.S.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 1:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

I only just learned that your sole purpose in life is to sell Ripper Notes subscriptions. That was surprising to learn as you've been published more often in Ripperologist. But I'm glad to hear you've taken on this new role. Please sell a ton of subscriptions a.s.a.p. because I have a good piece coming up in the next RN! Thanks.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 6:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom:

Oh yeah...there's a reason for that too.

Ya see, I lower the moral tone of The Rip so much that people run to Rip Notes in disgust.

I'll tell ya....Dan is a genius. The plan is working. Don't tell Mr. Begg though..Our motto is to never smarten up a chump over here...

Hey !! Speaking of serial killers...

My brother just sent me the book: "Devil In The White City"....about H.H. Holmes. I haven't had the chance to open it yet...

I do know that Holmes worked at the infamous Norristown [ Pa. ] State Hospital...back in the day...I used to live right across the street from that joint. Its a mental home with some illustrious former visitors....

Is the book as good as it is hyped up to be,anyone ?

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 536
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The books is very interesting, Howie-- I read it when it first came out.

He was quite a character, was ol HH. He killed both for profit and for the fun of it.

A farsighted individual with an eye on the Big Picture.

Enjoy!
Love, Mags
Mags

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2439
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sir Robert,

Reading up on him [Bible John] it seems like his victims were all menstruating, which is weird as all heck to put it mildly. Any one ever come up with any theories as to how he knew, or what it all may have meant?

Two comments: only recently, at a Christmas piss-up for former British Gas employees, we were talking nonsense and one of the old 'gassers' happened to mention that his fine sense of smell had always enabled him to tell if a woman nearby was menstruating. He was quite serious. Maybe Bible John was similarly 'afflicted' and went into some sort of biological destruct mode.

Also, while holidaying on the island of Bali, I discovered that women are requested not to visit the temples while menstruating. So Bible John could have conjured up some cranky religious objections of his own.

Love,

Caz
X

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz has good points--the Curse has had men in a tizzy forever.

I have no doubt that people with very acute olfactory senses would be able to tell when a woman was menstruating---and given the state of feminine hygiene products back then even more so.
Mags

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 795
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Norder - Prozac, Alice B. Toklas brownies, psychiatry, aerobic activity, transendental meditiation--whatever it takes, please give it a whirl.

You're own post seemingly revealed the startling fact that you were blissfully unaware that a psychiatrist needed a medical degree, and yet, in the next breath you pretend to speak for the industry!

I'm greatly disappointed that otherwise intelligent and decent people support your strange tirades by supporting your magazine. I do predict that this will eventually change as you continue to reveal yourself in a very public manner.

Quite frankly, as long as you're here, I see no point in contributing further to this forum.

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Norder wrote on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 3:15 pm: “I specifically studied abnormal psych and counseling for many years in a university environment and was being fast tracked into grad school to become a psychiatrist, until I decided it wasn't for me.”

>>Hogwash. What more, oh people, do you need to behold your great Editor as he truly is? What Mr. Norder describes as his educational background is an impossible scenario. It couldn’t have happened. In order to become a psychiatrist you must first have an M.D. degree, and then you study for your PhD in psychiatry. You do not go from an undergraduate program in psychology to graduate study in psychiatry—you have to get the M.D. first. And there is no “fast track.” Psychiatry certificates are awarded only after exacting, deliberate, and substantial medical studies have been made over long term. Psychology and counseling are on a totally different plane than psychiatry—these disciplines constitute two different fields; the former is advisory in nature, the latter medical. Anyone who has majored in psychology, as Mr. Norder claims he did, knows this. How would it be possible to get through an undergraduate program in psychology without becoming aware of the ground on which you stand? I knew of the structure of the accounting profession during my freshman year majoring in that field, and I would think freshman psychology majors gain awareness of the structure of their profession no later. Mr. Norder has claimed on this web site to have earned “over fifty credits” in psychology—this would amount to his taking at least two psychology courses per semester for four years. Please try to imagine how in four years’ time your Editor was unable to learn the first thing about the profession he was studying. Therefore I offer for your consideration that Mr. Norder is LYING to us when he says he has an education in psychology, that he knows LITTLE OR NOTHING concerning this field. He is apparently unable to stop himself from indulging in the most blatant dishonesty, despite that he has no reason not to think that many people here will see though him.

If Mr. Norder’s claims about his education are correct, he should provide the educational institution, and the name and date of his degree here.

Please don’t take a pig in a poke from this person. Learn how to think for yourself.
David M. Radka

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz and Mags:

The Ladies Friend is also mentioned in the Babylonian Talmud [ The Shulcan Aruch ].

In this book of Jewish laws,women who have their "buddy" are considered unclean and to be avoided.

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 694
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a wild and wacky left field question -- Is it safe to assume that the coroners would have noted if any of the victims had been menstruating ?
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir Bob:

Thats a good question Bob...

...another question would be whether any of these women could still get their period. All over 40 [ except Kelly and Tabram [39] ]...all without proper diet...

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 964
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did menstruation exist in 1888? I thought Queen Victoria had it outlawed after her menopause?

I can't believe I just wrote that.

PHILIP

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil:

There's a story that has been floating around that Queen Victoria smoked marijuana or maybe hashish to alleviate her pains from the cramps associated with her menstruation.

c.d.
Inspector
Username: Cd

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

Just think if she had smoked dope while in her lingerie. Talk about Victoria's Secret!!!

c.d.

Dan Norder
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ,

Apparently you and David are so desperate to get something -- anything -- you can against me that you twist the word "fast-track" around to mean something I didn't say and then claim I am a liar. "Fast" is of course relative. Getting set up as an undergrad with mentors willing to take me under their wings for future studies and so forth that normally people have to worry about much later is definitely getting on the fast track as far as succeeding in the field. Some people with medical degrees already can't find sponsors like that. No, that's not fast-track like ordering fast-food, but nobody said it was. And then you jump on that and try to claim that, since medical school takes a long time and I said "fast", that I must not know I would have needed to go to medical school. This despite the fact that I posted many times to this board in the past that psychiatrists have medical degrees. Arguing against something I never said or even implied in an effort to try to make people forget your earlier erroneous comments is really a rather ridiculous tactic.

And then you wrote: "Quite frankly, as long as you're here, I see no point in contributing further to this forum."

All you've "contributed" to this forum has been ridiculous personal attacks. Your idea of arguing a point is to claim I need to take drugs. Your response to people pointing out facts about psychological diagnoses that contradict your statements earlier is to claim that it's "delusional" to think that professional psychologists and psychiatrists know what they are talking about. And now you are threatening to leave?

Well, it would save Stephen the trouble of actually enforcing the policy against personal attacks, and it would be a nice holiday gift to everyone here who wants the boards to return to being able to discuss the Jack the Ripper case...
Dan Norder, Editor

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3508
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard

Ive heard that too!!!!

Smoked marijuana and drank Gin I heard..Gin AKA Mothers Ruin does of course include Juniper Oil which (allegedly) reduces the stomach cramps associated with mensturation!

Nothing changes though! have a look at
http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/news/Oct2000/QueenMedMJ.html

Have tried this...
(hate to say it..it Does work!)...... and I suppose the rest may have amused Victoria while waiting for the Gin to take effect!!!!.

Mind you its a fabulous image isn't it!

Suzi

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3400
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip,

are you ok?

i always thought you were so normal!

Jenni
"Yo, don't believe the hype"

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 645
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard mentioned:

There's a story that has been floating around that Queen Victoria smoked marijuana or maybe hashish to alleviate her pains from the cramps associated with her menstruation.

I was always under the impression that she did that during childbirth. And as Suzi points out, she drank gin to alleviate others sorts of discomfort.

Well, that's what my grandmother always told me.

Lyn x
My first reaction is, "OMG that's crazy". But then I'm thinking this just may be crazy enough to work.
copyright © Bradley McGinnis Sept. 2005

Sergeant Charles Eyton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of the great many serial killers and mass murderers I've studied at length it becomes very clear to me that Jack the Ripper is a combination of Aileen Wournos, Nero and the Halifax Slasher, and may God strike me dead if it be otherwise.

Glad to shed some light on the situation.
Eyton

EEV
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 2:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Those suffering from syphilis or a tumor that adversely affects their mental state so that they become killers would tend to fall under the psychotic umbrella as well."

Where can I buy me one of them there "psychotic umbrellas"?

I had a mental picture of a bunch of mental defectives with blood on their hands tripping over themselves trying to get under a large black umbrella when a storm came in, and I couldn't resist commenting.

And with that mental picture came the soundtrack:
"Let me tell a story
of a thousand rainy days since we first met
It's a big enough umbrella
but it's always me that winds up getting wet..."

Sorry, I'll go back to lurking in the shadows now.

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Brown wrote:
1. “Face it Dave...The paranoia is on the Hare-spawned list.”

>>You show your incompetence to understand anything more complicated than a ham sandwich, Mr. Brown. To you and Homer Simpson I think, life is a scratch, a donut, a piece of fried chicken, a spit in the toilet, and little more. Checklists are two-dimensional, and are no substitute for a well-read, in-depth understanding of the syndrome of psychopathy. A checklist will show objectively what psychiatrists have observed in psychopaths. If psychopaths have been observed discussing how some group of people are after them, then this goes down into the file, and may later show up on a checklist if it is seen a number of times. However, while it can be true that some psychopaths show signs of paranoid thinking, this doesn’t mean they are actually paranoid any more than that they can actually give and receive love. The whole gamut of deep, complex emotions is missing from the innermost chamber of the psychopath’s being, and that includes paranoia. Neither love, nor fear, nor paranoia is at all real in a psychopath. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t mimic and use these attributes whenever he might want to call upon them, like someone listening to rock music may play the “air guitar;” it means he automatically counterfeits them as he deems it required in a given situation, and, since the counterfeits are as real as real can be for him, he recognizes no difference between himself and others who actually feel these emotions. As far as he can tell he looks the same as them, smells the same, acts the same, is equally as intelligent, and so, to him, he IS the same as them. A good example of a psychopath showing counterfeit paranoia is John Wayne Gacy. When he was confronted with overwhelming evidence that 30 dead bodies were found under the crawl space of his house, he repeatedly tried to alibi out of the situation by claiming various groups of people, be they police, civic or other, had it in for him. He raved on irrationally, making no sense at all, and this was duly noted in psychiatric files as observed paranoia. But from Gacy’s psychopathic viewpoint, what was really happening was not real paranoid feeling but a two-pronged, albeit arbitrary and ill advised strategy. First, if he could convince people that various groups really did have it in for him, perhaps he could wheedle his way out of prosecution. He could give a story that these folks planted the bodies, or that his case was unfairly handled by attorneys or by police who wanted to see him executed. And second, if he kept spouting paranoia maybe he could cop an insanity plea if the first strategy didn’t work. The end result is that the psychiatrists observe paranoid thinking by Gacy and write it down, and then that goes on a psychiatric checklist of psychopathic indications, and then future psychiatrists thus can anticipate that the psychopath they are interviewing may also spout paranoia. But whereas psychiatrists are able to see beyond the checklist, you can’t, Mr. Brown. Your Homer Simpson-like lack of imagination limits you to two dimensions, whereas they operate in three. Psychiatrists using the checklist know that no psychopath experiences real paranoia any more than he does real love, real hatred, real patriotism, or any other real emotion.

2. “...you did claim that psychopaths didn't feel emotion.”

>>For the two hundredth time, my position is that psychopaths cannot feel REAL emotion, which is the depth of emotion that causes them to develop a REAL personality that locks transcendentally into REALITY. I have never claimed, and have no position that they can’t experience ANY emotion.

3. “I will refrain from arguing with Dave about the psychopathy stuff on this and the Tumblety thread as well.”

>>What’s the matter Mr. Brown, afraid to stand up for yourself without your mommy?
David M. Radka

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Norder wrote:
“Psychopaths are very sane: they know exactly what they are doing, know that it's wrong, but do it anyway because they don't care about other people.”

>>NO! YOU MISS THE WHOLE POINT ABOUT PSYCHOPATHS! Doing wrong because of not caring about other people is something that millions and millions of people do, and the great majority of them are NOT psychopaths! I’ve had many clients who tried to pressure me into telling lies for them on their tax returns. I once knew a bright young professional who casually admitted to me that while in the U.S. Air Force he had secretly broken into his commanding officer’s office quarters and reversed his name with someone else’s on the promotion list—he moved his name up from the 300’s to 6, and that soon got him promoted. These people did bad, but they weren’t psychopaths. Crassly not caring about other people in order to profit or get ahead is common, the syndrome of psychopathy is not. The difference between the ordinary uncaringly immoral person and the psychopath in this respect is that the psychopath believes ordinary rules and regulations don’t apply to HIM ALONE. He believes that he alone is PERSONALLY ENTITLED to break the rules and regulations of society, despite that there is no rational argument to support this entitlement. Thus he is an irrational person. According to your inadequate perspective, millions of bad normal people would be considered psychopaths. The sense of missing transcendence is absent from your perspective on the subject—you know NOTHING about psychopaths.
David M. Radka

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Friends,
Recent postings afford opportunity to reveal the deceptive strategy of Mr. Norder. Essentially, Norder uses our civility and ordinary good will against us. Although he’s no more skilled in doing this than any other political operative, what he does is unusually successful here among the idiots.

How it works is simple. It starts with us. Mr. Norder observes that most people have a need concerning their feeling it incumbent on everyone to deal civilly with others. This amounts to an implied trust, in which one person doesn’t presume the other is misleading him when they meet if he’s got no particular evidence of it. All of us need to think of others in this manner to some extent, and, mostly as a matter of course, we do. We have a reflex of civility. We need and expect others to think of us the same way we think of them. But to Mr. Norder this characteristic is tantamount to our showing him a green light to take advantage of us. He aggressively proceeds to take positions based on a range of assumptions he lets us make about the implicit truth-value of what he says.

The following paragraph illustrates how he does it:

Mr. Norder wrote:
1. “Hi RJ, Apparently you and David are so desperate to get something -- anything -- you can against me that you twist the word "fast-track" around to mean something I didn't say and then claim I am a liar.”

>>The scope of this assessment is in itself quite plausible, assuming you believe that RJ and I have got a reason to “get something” against Mr. Norder. That’s where the civil trust is implied. Mr. Norder doesn’t give you any reason to suspect this situation obtains, he just says it does. Unspoken in this saying is the foregone conclusion that we think what people say is true, or at least is their opinion based on their real experience of things. A man has a right to speak his mind! All of this clicks into our minds without our noticing it, unless we make a special effort to analyze what we’re thinking.

2. “"Fast" is of course relative.”

>>All speeds are relative, plausible enough. But Mr. Norder said he was being primed by his professors to become a psychiatrist coming out of his undergraduate program, and this is not a relative matter that RJ and I can distort. Either he was thought of as a good candidate to be a psychiatrist at that time, or he wasn’t. Notice how Mr. Norder has twisted the terms of discussion by relativistic semantics, making it seem more plausible that RJ and I are showing him in a bad light.

3. “Getting set up as an undergrad with mentors willing to take me under their wings for future studies and so forth that normally people have to worry about much later is definitely getting on the fast track as far as succeeding in the field.”

>>If you are a psychology major as an undergraduate, then if you want to become a psychiatrist the next step is medical school. Studying psychology is not a pre-med major. Pre-med is studying hard sciences like physics, biology, and chemistry, not primarily psychology. There wouldn’t be any reason to believe Mr. Norder would make a good medical student based on his being a psychology major. It is therefore unlikely that Mr. Norder’s psychology professors recommended him for medical school, and therefore Mr. Norder’s statement that he was on the fast track to becoming a psychiatrist is implausible. If he actually received a bachelor’s degree in psychology as he claims, then he conceivably could have been on a fast track to a PhD in psychology, but not to a PhD in psychiatry as he claims.

This passage is a marvel of the manipulation of civility implications on Mr. Norder’s part—it is one of the most densely couched, almost impenetrably deceptive wordings he’s ever presented here. It’s layers deep. He doesn’t say anything much directly, thus eliminating the need for him to back up what he says, but the implications we must draw from what we read if we are to be civil and decent to him are wondrous. First, the nearly ineffable use of the term “future studies.” What Mr. Norder wants us to conclude is that future means future, but actually there is future, and then there is future. Professors aren’t going to set up a student for future work if a major degree must intervene before the work is done, because there is no information available to them to determine whether or not the intervening degree will be completed successfully. Mr. Norder’s undergraduate psychology professors aren’t going to write him a blank check to come back after he completes his M.D. to study psychiatry. That’s not the way academic recommendation works. If you’re a good student you may get your professors to set you up for your NEXT degree, but you are not going to get them to foolishly extend themselves for a ONE AFTER degree. “Much later” is another wondrous term Mr. Norder uses. He implies that psychiatry students “normally” or traditionally have a “much later” dimension to their work, but in fact they don’t. The great majority of them are typical pre-med majors as undergraduates, then typical medical students, and then typical psychiatry PhD candidates. Things are done in the synchronicity typical to the profession. They don’t “normally” take psychology, then skip to medicine, then return for psychiatry. Thus when he says he was particularly fortunate to get his professors to set this sort of thing up for him, going beyond what is “normally” done, he’s deceiving us. They would ordinarily do no such thing for anyone. “Mentors” is another most puissant term Mr. Norder trades on above. College students get mentored all the time by professors, and it need not involve degree recommendations. I was “mentored” in my undergraduate work by two physics teachers, Fred Gardner and Howard Goldick, because I was bright in the physics and philosophy courses they respectively taught, but my major was accounting. I wasn’t looking to study science later. I also received some mentoring from Lawrence Prusak in history, and from Domenic Armentano in economics in my undergraduate days. Just because you are academically “mentored” doesn’t mean you are getting an academic recommendation from your mentor. I bow to Mr. Norder’s deceptiveness in the above passage—it is one of the finest, cleanest and safest jobs of bullsh*tting I have ever seen. The people who read here, for the most part, have no choice but to be taken in by it. All they need do is grant Mr. Norder the minimally civil token of passing on one slim little doubt as to what he’s saying to them, and they’re cooked.

4. “Some people with medical degrees already can't find sponsors like that.”

>>This course doesn’t verify that Mr. Norder found any sponsors.

5. “No, that's not fast-track like ordering fast-food, but nobody said it was.”

>>Mr. Norder didn’t imply an academic fast track was like fast food, no. But RJ and I didn’t either, as Mr. Norder implies we did.

6. “And then you jump on that and try to claim that, since medical school takes a long time and I said "fast", that I must not know I would have needed to go to medical school.”

>>Always remain aware of Mr. Norder’s penchant for misrepresenting the argument that was made against him in order to present the illusion to unsophisticated people that he has “defeated” it. The point made was not that “medical school takes a long time” as he says, but that a psychology major would likely not be in a position to gain recommendations to enter medical school. And thus, since Mr. Norder was unaware that medical school is required to become a psychiatrist (in his writing that his work in psychology qualified him for recommendations for the fast track to entering that profession) that he lacks the basic awareness that anyone seriously studying psychology would have, and thus that he did not ever seriously study psychology, and thus that what he writes about psychology on this web site is uninformed and below third rate.

7. “This despite the fact that I posted many times to this board in the past that psychiatrists have medical degrees.”

>>Please cut and paste here, Mr. Norder, an example of your saying this previously on this web site. Please give the complete thread reference and posting date. We’d like to consider what you say.

8. “Arguing against something I never said or even implied in an effort to try to make people forget your earlier erroneous comments is really a rather ridiculous tactic.”

>>What “earlier erroneous comments” on the part of RJ do you refer to, Mr. Norder? Please cut and paste them here, giving the reference.

9. “And then you wrote: {Mr. Palmer wrote:} "Quite frankly, as long as you're here, I see no point in contributing further to this forum." {Mr. Norder responds:} All you've "contributed" to this forum has been ridiculous personal attacks. Your idea of arguing a point is to claim I need to take drugs. Your response to people pointing out facts about psychological diagnoses that contradict your statements earlier is to claim that it's "delusional" to think that professional psychologists and psychiatrists know what they are talking about. And now you are threatening to leave? Well, it would save Stephen the trouble of actually enforcing the policy against personal attacks, and it would be a nice holiday gift to everyone here who wants the boards to return to being able to discuss the Jack the Ripper case...”

>>Once again, a clear example of how Mr. Norder uses our civility to take advantage of us. He places himself in the role of righteous indignation in complaining about the personal attacks uncivilly made against him by Mr. Palmer. He then invokes Mr. Ryder’s enforcing the policy regarding personal attacks against Mr. Palmer for what would thereby be Mr. Palmer’s independently confirmed transgressions. But once again, there is no confirmation as Mr. Norder implies. Mr. Ryder has in fact not taken any action against Mr. Palmer. Let me say it again, folks: Don’t take a pig in a poke from Mr. Norder. Analyze, compare, and think through for yourselves every single word this person says to you.
David M. Radka

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3458
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

I'm sure i speak for all your friends on the boards when i say,

just let it go an lets get back to actually talking about the topics of the threads for once!

Ok?

Jenni
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution"

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3552
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all (excepting Mr R at present!)

To be honest I thought we were getting onto somthing INTERESTING re the 'effects'of cannibis/gin etc etc on mensturation as championed by some Victorian women,the Queen (Gawd bless er !!!) notwithstanding.

To return to the subject then -

(Incidently 'buddy' is an odd but quite sweet (ish) term I suppose!)..The 12 rags 'some blood stained ' found on poor Kate may be an obvious pointer to how these things were dealt with from day to day in 1888,to be 'used', washed out when time or facility allowed and then saved until the next time that they were needed,probably doubling up as anything else,bandages or whatever in the meantime.

As to the age of the women and their physical condition,I still think it very likely that they were definately pre(what we now call) menopausal.

There we are have had my say!

Suzi

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave:

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. I'm really two dimensional? Gee...thanks !

I said I would refrain from [ and I will ] arguing or discussing what we had been discussing [ your flipflop act ] out of respect for the other 250 members and visitors who come or are here. End of story.

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 540
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi- yes, women did re-use cloths that way.

Lizzie Borden had some bloodstained cloths soaking in water in her basement and the modest Victorian gentlemen of Fall River decided that they didn't want to know any more about THAT, thank you.
Mags

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 976
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

God. What a waste of webspace. My scroll bar has never been so busy.

At least my useless posts are funny.

PHILIP

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.