Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Aileen:life and death of a serial killer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Serial Killers » Aileen:life and death of a serial killer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 3:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I was wondering if any one else in the Uk saw this film on channel four yesterday about american serial killer Aileen Wurnos.
I though it to be a really thought provocking film and wondered what others made of it?
regards
Jennifer

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jennifer,

I haven't seen that particular film, but I have seen Monster starring Charlize Theron, it was very intense and sad.

Have you seen it?

-K

Thomas C. Wescott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I just rented 'Aileen Wuornos: The Selling of a Serial Killer'. A half-made documentary from 1992 that looks half-made. Don't bother with it, you'll just be annoyed by the questions it raises and never answers. Incidentally, Wuornos isn't a typical serial killer, but that label sells books and papers, so there it is.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Phoenix45000
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 5:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aileen Wurnos is a female serial killer and as such is a total different breed to the most common serial murderer... The male. Females are exceptionally rare as serial killers, the reasons for it though seem much more feasible with money, revenge and rape (being victim) being the core reasons. Money in particular is very a powerful motive with women sometimes taking ten years to kill their victim.

Not to say that they chain them in a dungeon and torture them for ten years, no, they often rely on a weapon that to my knowledge has not ever been used by a male serial killer... Poison. Often something such as doseage of anti-freeze over ten years, they are also more prone to using handguns, as in the case of Aileen. They are also highly likely to have an accomplice, something that male serial killers have never had, male serial killers have always acted alone.

Aileen was what my lecturer calls a 'revenge' serial killer, in that she hunted those she believed had wronged her, showing no remorse for the killings.

John Hacker
Inspector
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phoenix,

There are many male SKs who used poison. George Chapman is a good example. There are also several male SK teams. The obvious one being the Angelo Buono and Kenneth Bianchi, the Hillside Stranglers.

I've always seen Wuornos as more of a for profit killer than a "revenge" killer myself.

Regards,

John

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.