Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through March 23, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Shades of Whitechapel » Cleveland Torso Murders » Archive through March 23, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all:

Although Patricia Cornwell is not mentioned in the following article, it is evident that the investigators are trying to do the same thing Cornwell attempted to do in the Ripper case--to link letters sent to the authorities with the DNA of local physician-surgeon, Francis E. Sweeney, the man suspected of the murders by Cleveland safety director, Eliot Ness,
The Torso Murders - 65 years later

All the best

Chris

Chris Scott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chris

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 6:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris
Many thanks for posting this as the Butcher of Kingsbury Run is another case that interests me. Apart from JTR, the Cleveland case and the Bogle-Chandler case are the ones that hold my interest the most. I wonder if DNA analysis has been contemplated in more recent cases where letters played a part- I'm thinking in particular of the Zodiac killer
Regards
Chris S

Gary Weatherhead
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 8:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Please elaborate if you could on the Bogle-Chandler case. I may have missed a good unsolved murder and I can't allow that.

Best Regards
Gary

Gary weatherhead
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.

Does this case in any way reesemble the Hall-Mills murder case? Perhaps better known as the preacher and the choir singer.

Gary

Mark Stone
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 3:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've just released "Eliot Ness and the Torso Murders," a feature length documentary. For more about it visit www.storytellersmediagroup.com. Great to see there is continuing interest in this case, and that you're keeping up with the latest.

Mark

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Detective Sergeant
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. Mark

There is definite interest in this case on the part of many people whom I have talked to.

The most interesting aspect for me is the fact that the Torso killer was a sexual sadist who killed his victims by begining the decapitation process before the victim was dead. Like the Dahlia killer he enjoyed inflicting pain and perhaps humiliation on his victims.

Imagine being decapitated while alive. Even if the victim was unconscious this method of killing is horrible to contemplate.

The Ripper killed his victims and then mutilated them. He was what I have heard described as a bop and drop killer who killed his victims at the outset and took his pleasure in post mortem mutilations.

Best
Gary

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 3:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gary - The Bogle-Chandler case is a superb unsolved Australian murder of 1963. The naked bodies of Stanley Bogle and Margaret Chandler were found after a New Year's Eve party in Sydney. Neither motive nor suspect was ever satisfactorily established. As Bogle was a government research scietntist, it was even suggested that this could have been a KGB-sponsored killing.

And Gary - what evidence was there from the two halves of Elizabeth Short that her killer tortured her? Were the BD initials carved on her thigh before she died?

All the best,

Martin F

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 4:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. Martin

Thanks for the info on the Bogle- Chandler case,I will look it up.

As for Beth Short, it is very unpleasant but here goes. She had rope burns on her wrists and ankles indicating she was suspended and tortured before she died. She suffered repeated blows to her head and face while still alive. The morgue picture of her face shows a broken nose and numerous cuts and bruises which had apparently bled during her ordeal. These blows were sufficient to contuse her brain which was listed in the autopsy as a possible contributing cause of death. She had her mouth slashed in a sick ear to ear grin and blood loss from this wound was said to be the main cause of death. She was forced to eat human excrement which was found to be amongst her stomach contents.

I cannot say for sure as to whether she was dead or alive when the B.D. was cut into her body. Nevertheless she had grass and parts of her flesh inserted into the vagina cavity.

All The Best
Gary

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yuk! My memory quietly censors out these nastinesses when I'm reading about mysterious unsolved murders, unless, as in the Jonbenet Ramsey case, the double injury looks like a serious clue. Though I will often remember feeling decidedly sickened by some particular serialists - Henry Lee Lucas & Ottiss Toole; Bundy; the Wests).
All the best,
Martin F

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. Martin

My mind filters out this kind of of stuff as well and I believe I look at it with a sort of clinical detachment when I see it. This allows me to take it in and process it for analysis and then leave it alone without being sickened.

The one thing I cannot handle are child murders like Jonbenet Ramsey.

There can't be anything worse than having a child pre-decease you and if they suffered at the hands of one of these sicko's....!!!

All The Best
Gary

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Gary:

I may be wrong about this, but I keep an open mind about whether Beth Short was made to eat excrement or whether grass or parts of her flesh were forced into her vagina. As I understand it, the autopsy report has never been officially released. Since the body was sliced in two, it's possible that excrement mixed with parts of her body giving the illusion she had eaten excrement, and the grass might have come from the crime scene, not have been inserted purposely by the killer. I am not meaning to diminish whatever torture Beth Short may have been submitted to, and agree that the murderer was a vicious and sadistic killer, but just want to point out that the excrement and grass stories related by some authors on the case might be misleading.

All the best

Chris

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

The excrement was said to have been in her stomach contents. The grass was stuffed in her vagina with apparent force along with pieces of flesh cut from her body

I believe portions of the autopsy report have been made public or unearthed by the authors

I will double check to make sure as I believe I have everthing written on Beth Short as well as a rare documentary by Kyle J. Wood.

You raise some points that are worth looking into, however. I question just about everthing I read too. Now If we could only get the author's to do likewise in an objective way.....

All The Best
Gary

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Let me clarify a point about the autopsy. Most of the information in the autopsy came out during the inquest. Some vital information that only the killer would have known was held back to weed out the confssing Sams'. This information involved her immature vagina which would have made sex impossible.

Best
Gary

cam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 4:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey all
could you plz give me all ur info on the Bogle/Chandler murder case thanks cam

Kerri
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2003 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow this is great, finally some other people who find this stuff interesting. Anyway I am a student of Criminal Justice in West Virginia. I am doing a power point presentation on the Cleveland Torso Murders (The Butcher of Kingsbury Run)and The Black Dahlia Murder. I am in search of crime scene photos, autopsy photos, or any other type of visual data. There seems to be alot of written information, however I still need some type of photos. Please don't think that I am sick or something!!!! If anyonw knows of any websites that would help me please let me know.

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 2:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kerri

In the event it isn't too late to help you with your project- check out the Black Dahlia website and link up with the Los Angelas Examiner's photo library.

All The Best
Gary

Erin Sigler
Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've reading a great book on this case called In the Wake of the Butcher, and I'd like to get everyone's views on this case. To me it strongly resembles the Black Dahlia murder, but then I hear that Eliot Ness is claiming the murderer was committed to an asylum (shades of Anderson, anyone?). Also, does anyone care to provide a brief "profile" of the Butcher? A most curious case, and I'd enjoy hearing everyone's opinions on it.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 668
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Erin

I will join you in recommending In the Wake of the Butcher by James Badal. Mr. Badal spoke at the last U.S. Jack the Ripper convention in Baltimore and his presentation was fascinating.

Erin, in my opinion, the resemblances between Black Dahlia case and the Cleveland Torso series of murders are at best superficial.

That is, although the body of Elizabeth Short was bisected and otherwise mutilated, to her face and torso, her corpse was not completely cut up as were the victims' bodies in the Cleveland crimes. In the Cleveland series, head removal was an especially noticeable feature, something that did not occur in the Los Angeles murder of Beth Short.

Also note that the Cleveland series was largely made up of male victims, though not exclusively so, which might suggest a homosexual did the crimes, and this is in sharp contrast with the murder of the young, attractive Elizabeth Short.

One area where there does appear to be similarity is that Beth Short's corpse appears to have been washed after her murder and the Cleveland cases also featured washing of the bodies. My inclination is to think, though, that the murderers were different.

Even so, both Black Dahlia and Cleveland do present us with fascinating crimes to study and compare, to some extent, with the Ripper case.

Best regards

Chris George

Erin Sigler
Sergeant

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 2:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting stuff--thanks Chris!

Based on what I've read so far I get the impression that the killer may have been bisexual, had some kind of medical knowledge, and probably had his own place. I haven't decided yet if he was actually mentally ill or just a sexual sadist. There are both organized and disorganized elements to the crimes, and while I tend to lean more toward the organized side I do see some evidence of a psychopathology that goes beyond simple anti-social tendencies.

Any thoughts? I realize that most of the things I've suggested are pretty basic, so I'm sure when I finish the book my ideas will be a little more developed.

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 585
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 6:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Erin and Chris

It has always been especially interesting to me that the 'Torso Killer' not only removed the heads, presumably to hinder the police in identifying the victims, he began the process of removing the heads while the victims were still alive.

I believe the Torso Killer was a more organized type of offender than many others we have come across. I say this because he took pains to make sure the victims were never identified and he accomplished his goal for the most part. He strikes me as an older and more intelligent serial killer than most.

All The Best
Gary

Erin Sigler
Sergeant

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that I've nearly finished the book, Gary, I would tend to agree with you. I see the Butcher as a sexual sadist. I've read about mutilation murders before, but most seem to occur purely to delay or avoid victim identification. There was nothing utilitarian about the emasculation of the first two victims. As the rope burns on Andrassy's wrists show, the Butcher was clearly into seeing people suffer and shocking whomever might stumble onto the body parts he left behind.

I find it curious that he chose both male and female victims, since most serial killers seem to stick to one or the other. This could point to the killer's possible bisexuality, since there is clearly a sexual component to the murders, particularly where the men are concerned.

As far as suspects are concerned, I find Sweeney a little dissatisfying. My mind keeps going back to the man who admitted photographing Andrassy and possibly the "Tattooed Man." I think the police should have taken a much harder look at him, whether he had medical training or not. There was clearly something "off" about him. At any rate, perhaps the new DNA tests will come to something. As much fun as these unsolved cases are for us, I would much rather the victims had justice, even if it is long after the fact.

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erin
I have always been fascinated by this case, so I have bookmarked about twenty web-sites detailing this case and am going to study it in depth for a week or so.
I think it to have great import to the case we discuss here.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Gary, AP, and Erin:

I would agree that the Cleveland Torso killer would appear to have been an organized offender based on everything that we know about him, and yes, his choice of both male and female victims might suggest he was bisexual, or at the least that he enjoyed seeing his victims suffer no matter what their sex was.

As for the inability to identify the majority of his victims, wasn't this more because the victims appeared to be hobos or drifters? When he was operating in the 1930's, there was a large population of homeless men on the move in the United States as a result of the Depression following the Wall Street Crash of 1929. Remember, most of the bodies were found near the homeless camp in the Kingsbury Run valley, which Cleveland Safety Director Eliot Ness ordered to be burned, for better or worse.

All the best

Chris George

Erin Sigler
Sergeant

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A.P., please let me know what you find. The only in-depth study on the Torso murders that I've found on the internet is the one at Crime Library. You might considering getting the Badal book; it's short and quite well-done, without a lot of unnecessary speculation on the author's part. By the way, as I was reading the book and posting here the image of your caged Grevy stallion kept popping into my head for some reason. . . .

How do you all think the Butcher lured and incapacitated his victims? With the women it's fairly obvious, but less so with the men. I was thinking perhaps he offered them work, but that doesn't explain how he was able to restrain them. Drugs were found only in the body of one victim, and there didn't appear to be marks on the victims indicating they'd been knocked unconscious. Perhaps, like J.W. Gacy, he persuaded them to take part in some kind of "trick," although I have trouble believing anyone as street-wise as, say, Andrassy (who wasn't homeless, curiously enough, and neither was Flo Pollilo), would fall for such an obvious ploy.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Erin

As to how the Torso Killer lured his victims, I should think the promise of money or a place to stay would be a safe bet if as I stated in my last post most of the victims were homeless men. If I am right this would probably mean that the killer himself was not a homeless man, which we pretty much can assume anyway since he apparently had a place to carve up his victims.

All the best

Chris

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.