Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through July 02, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » From Hell » Archive through July 02, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jesse Siegel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently rented the movie "From Hell". Although I didn't like it very much, it did arise some interest in the case, mostly because I thought most of the facts in the movie were, a little skewed. After reading the Casebook's F.A.Q. I've realized it was not just a little skewed, but complete inaccurate.

My question here is, why make a movie, which is not only boring but based on incorrect facts and myths.

The only thing I actually liked from the movie was Ian Holms acting.

What are your thoughts on the movie?

Moraelin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i liked it.
and boring? if you thought it was boring.. well.. then id be afraid to find out what you think is exciting.. *shivers*

the movie was based on the book/comic.. not the real history.
and even if it were based on the history.. its just a movie.. with johnny depp..

besides..
no ones stopping you from making youre own ripper movie.. one thats both completely and totally accurate, while at the same time cram-packed with wild edge-of-your-seat excitement and thrill..
so go right ahead.. i cant wait to see it

Caroline Anne Morris
Detective Sergeant
Username: Caz

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

What I'd like to see is a ripper film featuring all the usual suspects, doing what we know they were getting up to before and after the murders, and having a shadowy mystery figure doing the crimes, with no one emerging as the ripper at the end, but leaving the possibility that it could be any one of them, or none. It could be 'cram-packed with wild edge of your seat excitement and thrill', while staying true to all the facts, if it was written well enough, and you never know - it could result in many of us rethinking which suspects we can and can't see as Jack.

It would be fun suggesting actors for the various colourful characters like Tumblety, D'Onston, Druitt, K-something-ski, Chapman et al.

Jack Nicholson would be forced to take on one of the roles if I had any say in it.

Love,

Caz

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Caz:

Nice idea, Caz. I have often thought a drama with all the suspects buzzing round Whitechapel at the same time might be rather fascinating. laugh

Jack Nicholson could make a very creepy D'Onston while John Malkovitch could be an equally sinister Dr. Cream. Dermot Mulroney would be nice as cricket-playing Druitt. Colin Firth as Walter Sickert. Renee Zellweger as Flo Maybrick and Jason Isaacs (a Liverpudlian) as James Maybrick. Any other possibilities?

Best regards

Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Detective Sergeant
Username: Robert

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I vote for David Jason as Abberline. Unfortunately Ron Moody's too old for Kosminski but we'd have to get him into it somehow.

Robert

Marie Finlay
Inspector
Username: Marie

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hated 'From Hell'. I thought it was worse than boring. I found it mawkish, insipid, and sentimental.

Running with Caz's idea- I'd have to put in my vote for Bob Hoskins as John McCarthy (don't laugh- I think he'd be fab).

I can't think of a single person I'd like to play Barnett, though. That's a toughie.

Robert Charles Linford
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

The fun really starts when we talk about who should play Barnaby and Burgho.

Robert

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It should have been Vincent Price for Tumblety but after his demise Donald Sutherland should get the part.

Cheers, Mark who can't think of anyone for Barnet either

Robert Charles Linford
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For Barnett, there's an actor whose face I can picture, but I'm not sure if the name matches it : Liam Neeson?

Robert

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
If there was not such a thing as censorship, what a horror film it would make, what makes me mad is fims like From Hell', are so unrealistic that it makes me so frustrated, the scene at Hanbury Street looked acceptable, but the rest was utter Trash.
Like all the past films on the subject, surely their budget allows proper researchers, and lets get away with women walking away in a stagger from pubs, and shadows looming up as they rest agaist a wall.
I would love to direct a film and you would see atmosphere that would unfortunetly not get in the censors door.
Richard.

Monty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Monty

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

Ive met a few girls who could take up the parts of Burgho and Barnaby.....oooh Monty, you are awful !!

Monty

Robert Charles Linford
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, Monty. I was careful not to name names on that one.

What about coming at this from the other direction? Who NOT to cast :

Night watchman - Patrick Moore
Lees the clairvoyant - Uri Geller
Long Liz - Danny DeVito

Robert

Marie Finlay
Inspector

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes please, I'll have a bit of Liam Neeson.....

errr, I mean, I think he'd make a mighty fine Barnett.

Joan O'Liari
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about Brad Pitt as Jack, then we'll see how willingly the victims went with him. There could be a whole scene just about his pouty lips.
Joan

Monty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Monty

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joan,

Nah....I see Jack as more of a Bobby Ball type !!

"You're doing my piggin head in you are!"

Monty

PS Marie, You'll have a bite of Liam Neeson... where ?? oh, sorry bit...then again, whats the difference ??

Marie Finlay
Inspector

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bobby Ball! *tries to rid mind of scary image*

(but yes, I'd have a nibble of Liam any day).

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who is Bobby Ball? Is he one of that comedy duo with two straight men?

Cheers, Mark who remembers Morcombe & Wise

Leanne Perry
Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

I just got home from the gorgeous islands of Vanuatu, where I bought the 'From Hell' DVD for $17 Australian. Was this a bargain?

LEANNE

Robert Clack
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne

Depends if you bought it for the film. I have the American dvd of 'From Hell' (which has a couple of extra special features). I would have paid the same amount for just the documentaries on the discs. As for the film it is fairly entertaining but it is far to loose with the known facts. Take Johnny Depps portrayal of Inspector Abberline for example. I won't drop any plot spoilers but you will see what I mean. Personally I would rather watch the similiar but brilliant 'Murder by Decree'.

Rob

P.S glad you had a nice holiday and glad your back, it's been very quiet without you.

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bargain? It's a long way to go for a DVD. Why not save the ticket money and buy it at home?

It's OK Leanne, I know you were on holiday!

Robert

Leanne Perry
Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

LEANNE

Raymond Edmondson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've all missed the point about 'From Hell' - it's not meant to be 'realistic' - it's loosely based on a graphic novel of the same name. I like the DVD, not least for the very good reconstructions of the murder sites, shown as one of the 'extra bits'. As for the film, you have to take it as way-out fiction!! I'd love to see a film made of the 'real' story, as Caz says...but which actresses would want to play the characters of poor Annie Chapman or Polly Nichols, based on the truth?? Also, there would be so many characters in the movie it would be about 6 hours long to do it justice!! Raymond.}}

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Raymond,

There are plenty of brilliant actresses who have no problem whatsoever faithfully portraying women who have lost their youth and vitality, their looks and their dignity. I'm sure Brenda Blethyn (sp?), Julie Walters or Vanessa Redgrave, to name but three, would happily be made up to look the part and do the business if the script was good enough and appealed to them.

I agree that such a film would involve a large cast of characters, but think of the work it would give to all those actors! Maybe it could be a tv series instead, in six hourly parts.

Love,

Caz

Luis Miguel Rosa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.

Has anyone here read the graphic novel, From Hell, on which the movie is based?

Without wanting to offend, some of you are being quite unfair To the graphic novel when you say the ‘movie isn’t meant to be ‘realistic’ because it’s based on a graphic novel,’ because the graphic novel itself is more realistic than many non-fictional texts on Jack the Ripper available on the market.

It’s fictional only in that it presents the quite old theory that Sir William Gull was the murderer and that the killings were Masonic rituals.

But the author, Alan Moore, never omitted or bent some of the historic facts to ‘prove his point’ or to fit his story:

The victims in the book were never pretty, but drawn based on pictures taken — so they’re quite ugly actually… but of course the movie couldn’t have that.

The book never suggested a relationship between Abberline and Mary Kelly as did the movie — it actually portrays Abberline as the married man he actually was.

Abberline isn’t the opium-smoking psychic in the novel, but it seems the screenwriters decided to incorporate Mr. Lees — Queen Victoria’s psychic — in the character of Abberline — and it’s revealed Lees never had true visions but pretended to play a joke on Sir William and so faked a vision where he sees Dr Gull as the murderer.

And in the graphic novel Dr Gull is shown right from the beginning to be Jack the Ripper to avoid a silly ‘whodunnit’

And it’s also clear Moore took great deal of his theory from Stephen Knight’s Final Solution — now don’t think Moore has any pretensions that he solved the crime — he’s not interested in knowing who’s Jack the Ripper: From Hell is much more than that… he’s more interested in the effects of the Ripper’s crime and its impact than anything else… too bad the movie only glorifies the gore and blood of the graphic novel…

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Newsflash: Heather Graham is awarded fifth place in the "Worst Film Accents of All Time" for her role as Mary Kelly in From Hell.

http://www.dehavilland.co.uk/webhost.asp?wci=default&wcp=EntertainmentStoryPage&wcu=127488S887676S8S43215S0

Interestingly enough, Julia Roberts made seventh place for her similarly-themed role in Mary Reilly.

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.