Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

From Hell Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » From Hell « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 02, 2003Stephen P. Ryder25 7-02-03  12:01 pm
Archive through September 13, 2003Glenn L Andersson25 9-13-03  7:48 pm
Archive through November 01, 2003Glenn L Andersson25 11-01-03  4:19 pm
Archive through March 19, 2004David O'Flaherty25 3-19-04  4:42 pm
Archive through March 23, 2004Sarah Long25 3-23-04  12:05 pm
Archive through December 04, 2005Suzi Hanney50 12-04-05  10:18 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

minisith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 1:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

O, I'm srry for not being proper wit me English, is the phrase "Go suck a duck." proper enough? Actually I just find that phrase funny.

So where is dis spellchecker thingy that I hear about at? Can it fix everything in dis post?

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Minisith,

Please don't be sorry - just be absent!

I fear the entire output of a Kray Super computer would not be adequate to fix everything that was wrong with your posts!

Bob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3358
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 3:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'GO SUCK A DUCK'..............Hmmmmmmm each to their own I suppose....live and let live is always the way on these threads,but PERLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASE!

Suzi

Fubar Kibble
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You see, the film is based on a graphic novel. I think Hollywood feels that a film should have a beginning, middle and strong definate ending. The Ripper murders had no real construction or definate conclusion. Old Abberline was there as eye candy and a protagonist. IT'S A FILM LIGHTEN UP.

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now we have the earth shatering revelation that the film From Hell was - wait for it - a film.

Many thanks Kibble, I can now sleep soundly at night!

Bob Hinton
Inspector

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mind you considering what Fubar stands for perhaps we shouldn't expect any more from this poster!

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3464
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,

a film?

Damn, youve spoiled it now!!

Jenni

ps weird extras lol
"The sun'll come out,Tomorrow,So ya gotta hang on Til tomorrow, Come what may"

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3553
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob!....I'M STAGGERED!!!!and soooooooooooooo disappointed!!!!

Would this mean ****ed up beyond all recognition and THEN ground into small pieces?? Blimey!! lets hope it works then!!!

Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was fascinated (as ever!) asked a kid (aged 15) at school what it meant and there we are!!!!! Who needs Google!

Suzi

Mr Poster
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

Whatever about the film (and I still think it was worth the price of admission), the novel is probably more "discussable" given that:

1)its one of the defining novels in the genre and it involves JtR.

2) Moore went to considerable work as evidenced by his footnotes (which also indicate that he did not fully swallow Knights story at all but saw it as a basis for a piece of fiction). In fact he went to more work than many I reckon.

3)His insights into the world of Ripperology may be a little hard to bear for many who profess to be Ripperologists yet they would seem to include a kernel of truth

4)His extrapolations regarding the characters of Abberline, Gull and co. and the reasons behind the extrapolations are interesting.

5) His depictions of Victorian life seem very well thought out to me and the whole novel teems with detail.

I cant understand why his book isnt better thought of. Then again, maybe the word "graphic" puts of some people. Not really sure why. Given that word for word there is probably as much text in it as many of the more common Ripper books. And not a word in it is wasted.

Mr P.

Mr Poster
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 8:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

Whatever about the film (and I still think it was worth the price of admission), the novel is probably more "discussable" given that:

1)its one of the defining novels in the genre and it involves JtR.

2) Moore went to considerable work as evidenced by his footnotes (which also indicate that he did not fully swallow Knights story at all but saw it as a basis for a piece of fiction). In fact he went to more work than many I reckon.

3)His insights into the world of Ripperology may be a little hard to bear for many who profess to be Ripperologists yet they would seem to include a kernel of truth

4)His extrapolations regarding the characters of Abberline, Gull and co. and the reasons behind the extrapolations are interesting.

5) His depictions of Victorian life seem very well thought out to me and the whole novel teems with detail.

I cant understand why his book isnt better thought of. Then again, maybe the word "graphic" puts of some people. Not really sure why. Given that word for word there is probably as much text in it as many of the more common Ripper books. And not a word in it is wasted.

Mr P.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.