Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through December 04, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Movies » From Hell » Archive through December 04, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi sarah,

Ah! OK, sounds like I better check that film out, then. Especially since everybody is talking about it.

Yes, Sarah. Good point. No snobs here. Still, Hollywood seems to be too worried about the box offices in order to make a credible film on the subject. And certainly an English film would feel more genuine.

It is kinda odd, really, that English drama and film producers seem so reluctant to pick it up, but on the other hand, just look at how it is in the book publishing world: Jack the Ripper is really shark infested waters to dive into.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reece,

You are absolutely correct. I feel the same way. One wonders why it is so hard to get it right; I mean, the room can't be regarded as having the world's most complicated layout and furnishing... One also wonders why they bother to attach such distinguished factual consulants like Stewart P Evans, when they are not listening to them or following their advice. Grrrr indeed.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on March 23, 2004)
Crime historian, Sweden

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 2:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.
As I have said many times, if one intends to make a film based on 'Jack'one has to get the facts right that would satisfy the most ardent critic.
The victims names should be correct , the locations should be correct, the witnesses names should be correct, the interior of kellys room should be precise, and the plot should be realistic.
The actual words used by the witnesses, and the events they witnessed should be portrayed accurately.
Given all that , and if one could cast the actors somewhat resembling the characters as we know them, we would have the makings of a memorable film , that would accurately record, part of British criminal history, and would give the viewing audience, the truth, and not a false account of these murders.
Regards Richard.

Chris Bean
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree totally with all of you. The film was definitely contrary to actual events. I would also be interested in seeing a Ripper movie that is accurate. But unfortunately it is unlikely that one will ever be made and if it is, it will be quite obscure to the general public. The actual events of the Ripper case would not interest those who know nothing of the case. People do not want to see a movie where random prostitutes who have nothing to do with each other are murdered by some unknown man with no obvious motive. Disappointing isn't it.

Well thats my two cents.

Chris

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris wrote:
>People do not want to see a movie where random prostitutes who have nothing to do with each other are murdered by some unknown man with no obvious motive."

I am not so sure. Hollywood may believe that, but I think they're wrong. I think there are many examples of murder mysteries, involving a lone half-crazy nobody, that is quite popular -- not least as far as fiction and detective stories are concerned, and also in filmed crime documentaries. It is somewhat of a misconception that the general public always prefer conspiracies, although those indeed are popular.

Regarding "From Hell", I just saw the movie for the third time. We all know that the story is ridiculous and that they've got all the facts twisted and mixed up.
But there are also reason why I have seen it three times, in spite of these short-comings:

1) the millieus and atmosphere. I love the beginning of the film, where the camera is sweeping over the windows and streets of Whitechapel.

2) The murder scenes are not all that correctly depicted, but some things are satisfactory, like the exterior of 13 Miller's Court, for example. Not to mention the Ten Bells pub (both exterior and interior). Quite well done.

3) I also think some of the women feels quite right in their apparances. The one I feel is most accurate -- on the surface -- is Liz Stride (but God knows why they had to turn her into a sex-hungry lesbian; quite unnecessary), she even has her dark curly hair. I also think Catharine Eddowes feels rather OK.
The others, though, are not that credible.

So there are fortunate elements in the film. But as a whole, it suffers from a bad script, complicated plot and too rough handling with the facts. But OK, I can admit that I can buy it as entertainment and to enjoy the East End atmosphere (although it's quite dramatised).

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

ReeceAU
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 6:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gday Glenn,

Have you had a chance to see the Michael Caine film yet? The murder scenes looked much more like the real thing i thought. There set of millers crt was very well done and showed the proper entry into the crt via the narrow passage from Dorset st. There is the scene when it shows the Ripper walking down the passage while you can see the siloette of Mary through the infamous window getting ready for her final client and singing Sweet violets. That scene still chills me to the core.

Hope you can get a hold of the film soon as i would love to here your input on it!!!

All the best,
Reece G
Geelong, Victoria,Australia

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 4:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll put this in once more, since my answer disappeared due to the transformation of the Boards.

Hi Reece,

No, I haven't seen the Michael Caine film yet, and Swedish television is disastrous when it comes to showing old quality films - this past week I've had to put up with poor Dracula movies from the early 70's with Christopher Lee and Robert Quarry. Quite comical stuff, though.

I have no money at the moment to order the film, but I will see it when I find a possibility - everyone here seems to give it good reviews so I will keep it in mind. It certainly looks interesting, in spite of the plot.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Sarah Long
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 5:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

I also happen to think that Polly is quite nicely portrayed, in fact the only one I have a real problem with is Annie. I mean, she looks nothing like her (at least from what I've seen) and she seems younger and has long flowing hair (I thought she wore it up. The only one who was reported to have her hair down at all times was Mary Kelly.

Sarah
Smile and the world will wonder what you've been up to
Smile too much and the world will guess

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 8:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah,

You may be right; Nichols is probably acceptable and I indeed agree with you about Chapman. I felt exactly the same way when I saw her.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

I think everyone is on the same page here. I think the bigest problem with movie like From Hell is people believe what they see. I dont mind if they want to make the women more attractive or make Abberline a little thinner. I would like them to get the facts right. To sugest that Inspector Abberline was a opium user and claivoiant who was in love with Mary Kelly is absurd. Not to mention that Abberline lived to a ripe old age. He did not die in an opiun den while still in his early thirties.

The best Jack the ripper movie I have seen is the Cain movie Jack the Ripper made in 1988. I thought it was well done. I dont believe the theory that Gull was the ripper but at least they did not use the royal conspiracy. The movie did touch on Abberlines alcholism. Although the woman they got to play Mary had dark hair she was very atractive. I have a problem with any theory involving a coach.

The movie from Hell doese have some good dvd features. The Evans documentary is good and it is even interesting to here Knight lay out his royal conspiracy theory. If you dont have the dvd version dont sweat it they dont really cover anything new. Evans doese discuss Tumblety.

All the best,CB

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi CB,

Well, as you say, when a movie is built on actual events, it is important that they get the facts straight. Although I do admit I am a bit of a sucker for details.
But the main reason why I react to such minor things like the portrayal of the characters, is my dislike of Hollywood's aim nowadays on every occasion to put young "sexy" stars in the roles (not to mention their attempts to always throw in a love story) in order to attract a large public. When they do that, the films also looses in credibility and historical accuracy.
But of course, as you point out, the fact that they turned Abberline into an opium addict with psychic gifts is probably worse anyway -- not to mention the ridiculous plot (yes, the coach element is a real blooper, considering the facts).

So, you liked the Michael Caine movie as well? I just have to see it. So many have spoken well of it.

Regarding From Hell... unfortunately I have no DVD player yet, so I can't see DVD films. I know that Evans documentary part is supposed to be great, and I would kill (sorry about the expression...) to see it. It would also be interesting to here the late Mr Knight tell about the theory in his own words, no matter how much I hate the theory in question.

All the best :-)
Crime historian, Sweden

Amy Green
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a thought regarding the physical appearance and dress of Mary Kelly in From Hell. This spring, right around the time I saw the film, I was in a pre-raphaelite painting rut, and when I came across this portrait of Ophelia by John William Waterhouse (http://www.artrenewal.org/images/artists/w/Waterhouse_John_William/large/Ophelia.jpg) I was struck by the similarity the figure bears to Mary Kelly. The blue dress with green trim and a red chemise, plus the red hair made me wonder whether the allusion was intentional. Given the rest of the Shakespearean references in the film, including Sgt. Godley's comparison of Abberline to Hamlet with "goodnight, sweet prince," and the fact that Abberline loves Mary but sends her away, I wonder if the screenwriters intended Mary Kelly to be an Ophelia figure.

Peo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question about paintings in From Hell movie

Where I can get hold of information about the really grotesque paintings with abnormal people used in the film.

This is from the sequence where "the ripper" eats meat with pouring blood from it sitting in his library. Any information about the paintings on the walls is appreciated.

Thanks

Kris Law
Inspector
Username: Kris

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Peo,

I saw this question first in Pub Talk, and gave you an answer there, which might help.

-K

Shelley Wiltshire
Sergeant
Username: Shelley

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I saw the film a few times, as i like Johnny Depp with a bit of a passion, he's a really good actor. I was a bit disappointed that seems as they were portraying a more gruesome piece of cinematography, they didn't put in the realistic side of the actual case. Just another load of dramitisation again....with the prince of wales, Albert Victor included again.

DreamWriter
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've seen the movie a couple times, admittedly because it stars Johnny Depp.

I believe it's based off of a graphic novel, not the actual events, which is why they made Abberline into an opium and absinthe abuser and killed the character in the end. I've tried to find the graphic novel but have been unsuccessful so I don't know how closely the movie follows it.

Anyway, I admit I liked it cause Depp is in it but I also liked the theme of the movie.

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dreamwriter,

The graphic novel has gone through several reprints because it's so possible, so you should be able to turn one up at any comic shop, online or off.

The graphic novel is substantially different from the movie. Abberline wasn't psychic, an addict, MJK's lover (although they met and liked each other), or dead at the end. Many of the facts of the case are followed pretty well... other than being based upon a totally ludicrous and disproven theory, of course... oh, and some whacky occult weirdness, but then Alan Moore is well known for believing in that stuff so it's no surprise it shows up.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 9:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those in the UK, "From Hell" will be shown tonight on Channel 4 at 10pm.

Chris Phillips

Alex Chisholm
Police Constable
Username: Alex

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings All

After the producer, Don Murphy of Angry Films, emailed me to say “Piss Off,” when I suggested a ‘Thank you’ might be in order for the extensive newspaper research I undertook, as production of this film was in danger of being held up by possible legal action over the poisoned grapes issue, I resigned myself to forgoing the ‘pleasure’ of watching “From Hell” on principle.

However, on chancing upon the Channel 4 screening of “From Hell” tonight, I couldn’t be bothered to reach for the remote control, and so am now watching this film for the first time. And what a load of crap it is!

I greatly admire Johnny Depp and Robbie Coltrane. But they are both sadly let down by this pretentious drivel. Give me Michael Caine’s Jack the Ripper any day.

Best Wishes
alex

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must admit, having never seen it before, my eyes have been opened to so much I was ignorant about.

Abberline's suicide in an opium den. Sir William Gull's lobotomisation, and subsequent confinement in an asylum. Very suspicious references to "Jack the Ripper" long before the "Double Event" ...

OK as far-fetched melodrama, I suppose, but what one earth was the point?

Chris Phillips

Stan Russo
Inspector
Username: Stan

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To all,

It's a movie. One of those movie things. It's meant to be enjoyed not to be dissected. People have spent so much time lambasting this movie because of their "love" for the case, that they can't enjoy a fictitious retelling of an historical murder.

Most hate it so much they even missed the real major error, that the kidney was delivered before Eddowes was killed.

It's a movie. I enjoyed it for what it was. Fiction.

SJR

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 635
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 8:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mr. Chisholm..

Maybe that guy Murphy needs a visit. Thats pretty damned rude since you assisted him.

Just out of curiosity,since you mentioned it...what problem would have possibly resulted about the "poisoned grapes" had someone not intervened,if you don't mind my asking ? Thank you.

Stan..good to see you again,brudda..Yeah, the film was made to sell,not inform,for sure...But one positive thing about the film is that double DVD with some guy named Evans and his museum of Ripperana...For those who intend to purchase the DVD, be sure you check to see if it is the issue with the 2 discs. The one with Stewart Evans is gold....just like him.

Hey, Depp's cool...He's into the WM from what I've heard and is a pretty decent actor [ Ed Wood, Cry Baby,etc...].

HowBrown

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 4:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan

It's a movie. I enjoyed it for what it was. Fiction.

I just don't see the point of regurgitating all the inventions and errors they could lay their hands on, long after they've been exploded.

OK - perhaps for dramatic effect you could justify making Abberline an opium addict, inventing a romance with Mary Kelly and letting her escape to Ireland.

But why on earth drag in all that tired old nonsense about Prince Albert Victor, Sir William Gull and the Freemasons? It's just lazy, unoriginal and pointless.

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2608
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 5:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But its based on a book!!

if the book is wrong of course the film is!!
"be just and fear not"

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 5:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni

Well, maybe the graphic novel was more original, because of its format, but surely this stuff has been done to death on film?

Chris Phillips

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3630
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 6:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan,

I am sorry, but it is not even good fiction. It is actually a very bad fiction film.

And as Mr Phillips say: it has been done to death already on the screen anyway; is it the third or the fourth film based on the same theme? Don't you ever get bored?

All the best

G. Andersson, author/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Jeff Leahy
Inspector
Username: Jeffl

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah and how many of you got interested in what rearly happened following some bad film or TV programme.

From Hell was pitched at a mass ordiance and dispite containing little fact had some interesting sets and fab lighting. It could have been alot worse beleive me.

Cant really agree about coltrains performance which was a bit Dick Van Dyke....but hey who'd miss Johney Depp in anything.

So someone needs to remake the Barlow and Watt's Ripper series and give it an open ending, but I dont really think a popular film like 'from hell' will actually do any harm...infact the oppersite...it gives us all a chance to say to the kids 'It didnt actually happen like that but...'

Stop being such soar pus*y's

Jeff

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3632
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 9:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

The only reason why it didn't get even worse than it turned out in the end (yes it could have been worse), was because prominent Ripper researchers were involved as consultants.
Not that Hollywood listened to them that much, but still...

And I don't know if I agree with you. We are still -- 30 years after the breakthrough of the Royal Conspiracy theory -- struggling with people who are convinced of that the Ripper murders had Royal connections and were performed by a physician in ordinary to the Queen. On this website the Royal Conspiracy is on the suspect top 5.

I don't know about you, but I think it is high time to finally kill this nonsense, and I believe to continue spreading this myth creates more harm then good.
Unlike you, I can't see how constantly correcting people who have been brainwashed by Hollywood (which we've been doing now for several decades), can be considered a benefit to the Ripper mystery. It really goes beyond me.

I, like many others, became interested in the Ripper murders, thanks to documentaries on Discovery and because of Fido's book. Not the rubbish delivered by Stephen Knight and Hollywood.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on June 27, 2005)
Sweden

Jeff Leahy
Inspector
Username: Jeffl

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 9:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn hang loose, nobody really takes the royal conspiracy seriously. Its just Hollywood and thats a great yarn...probably the best out of all the ripper stories. its just hollywood, if it gets people interested and talking perhaps they will turn on a documentary, perhaps a commisioning editor will think theres sufficient interest and potential veiwing figures to make a serious documentary. Personally I'd love to make one. But you'll probably have to wait for another aniversary before it will be commisioned.

Personally I'd love to see a programme that takes a serious look at the Victims rather than the usual drival about one suspect or another.

I'm off to watch Wimbeldon

Jeff

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3633
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,

I think you under-estimate the impact of Hollywood. It is not just Hollywood.

From what I've seen on these Boards and from people I've talked to elsewhere, A LOT of people actually DO take the Royal Conspiracy seriously. Still -- after 30 years and after all the massive criticism it has received. Unfortunately. I don't know ho many newcomers and others here that I have encountered who really believe that is what the Ripper is all about and for those it isn't fiction.
I know it's hard to believe but it is reality.

"Personally I'd love to see a programme that takes a serious look at the Victims rather than the usual drival about one suspect or another."

I totally agree; such an in-depth documentary or fictional drama (whatever one prefer) would be very interesting. Still, I believe it is just the same as with books on the subject: it is the suspect hunts that are believed to draw the attention of the larger audience, not the interesting social context. Unfortunately.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on June 27, 2005)
Sweden

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alex et al.

After seeing "From Hell" when it first came out in 2001 and being greatly disappointed with it, I was surprised recently to catch a TV airing of the Hughes' Brothers previous movie "Dead Presidents" (1995) and was delighted with the quality of it.

"Dead Presidents," about a Seventies bank heist gone wrong and the gang of black punks who attempted the heist, has everything that "From Hell" does not have in terms of production values and depth. What could easily have been a shoot-em-up bank heist features artiness and in-depth characters and, more than anything, visceral authenticity that made the film a delight for me to watch.

"Dead Presidents" showed me what "From Hell" could have been if the Hughes Bros. had really tried, instead of a dullish seen-before retread of the Royal Conspiracy theory through which the lead, Johnny Depp, sleep-walks!

As an aside, I just saw Depp in "Secret Window" (2004), a Stephen King tale with John Turturro, which is also a better film than "From Hell" and in which Depp gives a fine performance as an unhinged writer accused of plagiarism.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 311
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a thriller movie it was fine - as a movie about JTR well it wasn't!

There are however two incidents which for me surpassed creepiness. One was the washing of the bloddstained hands with the camera positioned at the bottom of the tank, and the other was the click clack of the carriage steps as they unfolded.

Superb examples of great visual effects - it just a pity the whole film couldn't have been of the same calibre.

Bob Hinton

PS It has absolutely nothing to do with my book 'From Hell'

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob

You do bring up the worthwhile point that there is some good photography in "From Hell" -- the shot-from-above time-lapse photography of the scene around one of the victims was also very nicely done. As you say, it is just a shame that the rest of the movie was not as well done, and that they could not have avoided such goofs as the kidney arriving before the Double Event!

With due deference to your excellent book, Bob, I do think the producers' decision to call the movie "From Hell" should tip us off that they were after a shocker-type movie rather than a more artful flick. Again referring back to the comparison I made with the Hughes' Brothers "Dead Presidents" -- their choice of that title shows more artfulness and subtlety, the title being of course a reference to the U.S. Presidents on American currency. And talking about the artiness of "Dead Presidents" they had the black actors who played the would-be bankrobbers disguise themselves in white face which I thought made for a very interesting statement. If only their Ripper movie had sought to make such observations beyond the rather tawdry and by rote flick that resulted.

All my best

Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on June 28, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

Matt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Jennifer hit the nail right on the head, its NOT a film about Jack the Ripper, it’s the film version of the ‘From Hell’ graphic novel (which is what adults who read ‘comics’ like to call them to disguise the fact they are reading a comic!) And the story in the comic is more or less the story you see on the screen. Its only entertainment it’s not supposed to educate, indeed it’s not the job of films like that to educate.

I say so what if some people think that the events portrayed are true? Who exactly is harmed by that? Hollywood has always twisted the way we see so many historical events, we live in a world where the greater majority of the ‘Christians’ are unaware of the fact that Jesus wasn’t blond, blue-eyed and white.

So what? I say let Hollywood entertain and let the scholars educate. If someone is dumb enough to think that they know something about history just because they have “seen a film about it”, then it is unlikely that they would have much to contribute to meaningful research anyway, leave them in their ignorance.

That said I'am baffled by the minor errors that have crept in, the Kidney arriving before Catherine was killed and ‘Hanover Street’, being just two of them. And did anyone else notice that the prince is credited as The Prince/Sickert in the end credits? What’s that all about?

And one other thing as a long time connoisseur of Absinthe, please if anyone is going to drink it, don’t set fire to your sugar, unless you want your Absinthe to taste of burnt sugar that is, the true and proper Absinthe ritual calls for iced water to be poured over a sugar cube in a slotted spoon, being usually about 70% ABV, Absinthe burns at about the same rate as petrol so it is rather dangerous to set fire to it in your home!!

Uriah Hexam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 9:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would definitely like to see a "just the facts ma'am" film of the Whitechapel Murders (just as soon as we all agree on what those facts are!)but inaccurate Hollywood depictions don't bother me nearly as much as going to the true crime section of just about any bookstore and picking up badly researched, badly written "non-fiction" books offering us the definitive solution to the case.

That said, I do wish filmmakers could move on from the Gull/Freemasons "solution". I think the world is ready for a cinematic Kosminski and his "solitary vices." Perhaps they could cast Paul Rubens in the lead role...

P.S.

Who would you have direct this hypothetical epic?

Cheryl Waddington
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to agree with the majority. 'From Hell' was more Hollywood than factual and it was an insult to the legacy. Film makers want to make a profit and they dont bother to inject fact into a production. They believe that what really happened wont bring in the bacon so they sex it up to attract their intended audience.
Has anyone seen Jack the Ripper with Michael Caine in? That is my all time favourite film. The ending was amazing and plausible. I f you havent seen it may I suggest you do. I wont give away the conclusion because I dont want to spoil it for you. Let me know if you have seen it and also what you think of it. Thanks. Cheryl, Lancs, England

Mr Poster
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 5:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

The movie "From Hell" was as far as I understood it, the movie of "From Hell" by Alan Moore who makes no bones about saying that his novel is a work of fiction. Therefore the movie can only be criticised in relation to that novel surely.

To assume a level of realism pertaining to JTR is jusdging it by criteria that can not be applied to it.

But why on earth drag in all that tired old nonsense about Prince Albert Victor, Sir William Gull and the Freemasons? It's just lazy, unoriginal and pointless.

It didnt drag them in.....the novel features those characters as main players. And it is only pointless in so far as it is pointless to make a film about any novel.

The JTR case is not sacrosant. Only to be discussed by Ripperologists.

I paid for the film, enjoyed it immensely, and it was better worth the money than many Ripperologist books I have read.

Mr Poster

V Puig
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw the film again for the second time and am not a fanatic like u guys. However the subject is curiously addictive.

There is such a wrangled mess of events and evidence, that it leads me to two basic conclusions.

1/ Either the Metropolitan Police of 1888 were a complete bunch uneducated idiots and fools (nothing has changed I live in London)

or

2/ It must be a cover-up of some sort as there are too many problems and contradictions within the evidence and witnesses.

Either way I think everyone in the world who knows anything about this subject should all be locked up on an Island for 2 years and solve this thing together...it bugs me the lack of combined effort in solving the case.

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3642
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

V Puig,

The Met police were certainly not idiots and the internal communication show that they laid down great efforts.
What they didn't have was experience of these type of serial killers (or serial killers at all) and no forensic science. You couldn't even classify blood besides from saying that it was "mammal". They did a lot of mistake, but it has to be viewed in the historical context.

I can't see any evidence whatsoever of cover-ups in the Ripper crimes.
A lot of the contemporary police material is littered with contradictions and details (or lack of them) that rasies questions rather that answers, but then that material is rather representative in its character from police investigations in my country from the same time period as well. Murder investigations as we know them was still at its infancy and most of the errors and confusions we see in the material is a result of inexperience and personal diverging opinions.
But some people wants to see conspiracies everywhere. Thank you Hollywood.

Uriah Hexam,

"That said, I do wish filmmakers could move on from the Gull/Freemasons "solution". I think the world is ready for a cinematic Kosminski and his "solitary vices." Perhaps they could cast Paul Rubens in the lead role...
[...]
Who would you have direct this hypothetical epic?"

I agree; that would interesting.
Who to direct it? No idea, but I would recommend that it should be produced in Britain, not USA.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on June 28, 2005)
Sweden

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

I also saw the film for the first (and last) time on Channel 4. Quite simply I thought it was a good film with a bollox plot.

How could they get so many things wrong? Yes, I realise it was fiction but there are many people who will think it was based on fact.

And it was a very poor version of Alan Moore's story. At least Mr Moore brought in some original things which the film managed to miss. If I was Mr Moore, I would not be very happy (unless I was paid a lot of money to bogger off).

One last thought, why was the Lipski incident used for such little reason and so many other occurences totally forgotten?

Cheers, Mark (who's just put a couple of film dirctors on his list)

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Poster

It didnt drag them in.....the novel features those characters as main players.

Hmm. One way or another, the film decided to have all that old nonsense about Prince Albert Victor, Gull and the Freemasons as its plot. If they were wedded to the graphic novel that had done that, I suppose they had to do it too. I still think it was lazy, unoriginal and pointless.

And I haven't read the graphic novel, but I understand the film makers did feel they had the freedom to bring in a lot more nonsense of their own. Which at least had the virtue of being original nonsense. But still ...

Chris Phillips

Valerie Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FROM HELL DVD - 2 DISC SET

Please can anyone tell me how to access the hidden Easter Egg, the 45 minute documentary on disc 2, based on Steven Knight's, 'Final Solution'?

Thank you very much indeed,

Best,

VAL

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 634
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Val,

If you highlight the title 'Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder' then press the down arrow on your remote followed by the right arrow on your remote that should highlight one of the surgical instruments, then you press enter.

That should get you the program. It's not complete, there are some missing segments but they are in the 'six degrees of separation' documentary.

Rob

Ray
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 4:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone notice that the case is refered to as the "Ripper Case" and Jack the Ripper is mentioned long before the letters arival in the movie?

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 860
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ray.

Oh God! The movie has made an historical inaccuracy!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob,

Mr Evans put me onto that.....and I still cannae get in !!

Monty
:-(
It begins.....

Minisith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 3:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OMG ppl,some of you don't see that this movie was just a movie for entertainment. I thought them making the inspector an opium psychic would make it clear to the viewers that this movie shouldn't be taken seriously. I just seen the movie so I came here to look up the actual events. I came on the MB to see what you thought of the movie, well I got no respect for this lame MB.

Rlly, hear ppl are saying the movie sucked b/c its not accurate....WOW! It's like saying that I hate Dracula movies b/c it isn't accurate on the events on what rlly happened in history, I'm talking about Vlad the original dracula for those of you who didn't know it.
PEACE OUT!
Minisith Unknow

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 675
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty,

Sorry, just seen your post. It will only work on the Region 1 dvd and not Region 2. If you have the Region 1 and still can't get it to work, try pressing the 'Title' button on your remote (it's either a button by itself 'Title/Time' or it may be in the display set up) and type in 21 and press enter, that may work.

All the best

Rob

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 429
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Minisith,

The earth shattering revelation that you have no respect for this website is good news for us all.

With any luck that means we won't have to read such utter drivel as you have posted.

Why don't you go away and try and learn the basics of the English language - you might just grasp the fundamentals of using vowels for a start!

Bob

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 3336
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minisith-

Allegedly there's such a thing as spell check available on these boards.......failing that an English language/reality check may come in handy in any further postings

Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.