Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through September 03, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed (Cornwell, 2002) » Patricia Cornwell's Latest Investigations » Archive through September 03, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

She doesn't debate. I think the closest anyone got was Chris George when he phoned in to a radio talk show she appeared on.

Hi Dan,
I wouldn't exactly call it free publicity, since I've seen a couple of articles quote a price tag of £10,000 per ad. I suppose it's just a drop in the bucket for her and I'm sure she'll make it all back from the new edition of the book.

I loved the comparison with James Ellroy.

Dave

(Message edited by oberlin on August 29, 2005)

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 6:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I can tell you that she only wants discussion on her ground rules and is adept at sidestepping when challenged. I'm speaking from personal experience from question time with her at Lisner Auditorium, George Washington University in Georgetown, Washington, D.C., when her hardback first came out in 2002. I had previously talked to her briefly when she was on a lunchtime NPR talk show (Diane Ramus) the same day and she took telephone calls so she knew who I was.

Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on August 29, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,
....except that James Ellroy so far outstrips her in every way there really isnt any comparison!
Natalie

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 451
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 7:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cannot fault her cleverness in using another Ripperologists dislike of her methods and evidence to drum up more publicity.(Mentioning Stephen P Ryder by name..).
The ads and her press release have been quoted verbatim in two Australian newspapers.

The ideal mix: wealthy celebrity author; application of modern and expensive (CSI-type?) methodology; and a sensational, unsolved, internationally notorious case...

Only one thing missing though...

Stephanie D. Riggsby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pardon my ignorance, but when you refer to mentioning Stephen by name, John, do you mean Ms. Cornwell specificaly or do you mean the article from the Independent?

A big hello to ChrisGeorge by the way :-) It's certainly been awhile.

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,

She doesn't debate. I think the closest anyone got was Chris George when he phoned in to a radio talk show she appeared on.

I believe Scott E Medine asked a question at a promotion somewhere in the US.

She only let him get one question away, possibily realising Ol Scotty is pretty clued up all things Jack and was not one of her teenyboppers, and out of fear that Scott was going to ask her an absoulute doozer.

She ignored him despite Scott constantly raising his hand and at the end, left sharpish.

Catherine Ann,

According to PC Im a sicko, mentally unstable.

So forgive me if I hold no sympathy for a person who does not know me and who cannot get her message across without insulting me.

Cheers,
Monty
:-)

PS OH, and also has no evidence to support her accusations Sickert WAS the killer.

(Message edited by monty on August 30, 2005)
...and I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now you're gonna die!!"

John Dow
Police Constable
Username: Johnmdow

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[John Ruffels]
Only one thing missing though...

.....a conscience.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2894
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John R
.....Or why does too much money STILL get you nowhere nearer to making a sensible 'comment' on 'the case'!
Suz

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 361
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Catherine Ann,

I'm sorry I really don't agree with your premise that 'This theory has has much grounds as any other theory.' This is nonsense.

For a theory to be valid it has to have something to back it up. The case against Sickert, the Prince of Wales and the Welsh doctor don't.

You might just as well say 'I have a theory that Abraham Lincoln did it and you must all accept this as being as valid as any other theory - leaving aside the fact he had been dead for over 20 years'

As for calling Cornwell names I do not recall any instance of that. I do recall her referring to people who don't agree with her as 'klingons'. There may be name calling but it isn't us that's doing it.

Bob

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 1:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

she called us sickos? Geez, I must have missed that

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my momma taught me better than that."

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 1:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She hires armed guards????

I had no idea we were so formidable. Does she think we're so into Jack that we'd like to be killers ourselves?

Talk about ego!!
Mags

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 867
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone wanting to read Scott Medine's experience with Patricia Cornwell can find it here:

Patricia Cornwell Delivers a Lecture at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville

This was a Ripper Notes sample article from when the publication was under the guidance of the gentlemen editors Christopher-Michael DiGrazia and Christopher T. George, so everyone gets to see the fun.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan

Thanks for posting the link to Scott Medine's review of Patricia Cornwell's lecture at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville.

The event that I attended at Lisner Auditorium, George Washington University in Washington, D.C., went down along the same lines. Ms. Cornwell controlled the show and allowed few questions, and similarly she cited Ripperologists for their "sick" interest in the crimes and commercializing the case.

As did Scott, I said to myself well, what are you doing, lady? -- particularly when I saw her fans lining up with armfuls of her books to autograph. Also at Lisner Auditorium, as in Knoxville, she cited the fact that people would find it sick to have tours of the sites of the Beltway sniper crimes -- those sniper murders having just happened. There is though a museum at the Texas Book Depository where Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK, let us remind her. . .

I do find her paranoia and defensiveness to be quite marked. There is though some charm, I think, to her downhome delivery and cornpone sayings such as remarking to Scott that his reply to her "shot" her "out of the water," or that Stewart Evans was "mean" to her.

I also will continue to think that Ms. Cornwell deserves credit for bringing modern forensic scientific techniques to the case, even if the science and the findings, as we view it, are, at least to date, being largely misused and misinterpreted by her.

All my best

Chris

Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Monty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Monty

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 4:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan and Chris T.

Dan,

Thats the one. My apologies for mistaking the setting.

I have a private mail from Scott telling me about the experience. The questions he wanted to get away but was ignored.

Hardly the tack of someone who wants to debate.

Chris T,

Stewart mean?

Ha ha ha haaaa. Stewart is straight taliking and passionated about getting things right. In my dealings with him he has been co-operative, objective and thoughtful, but above all else, he has been kind with his time, information and as a person.

I can only say it as I find him....and thats how I find him.

Way to go Patsy ! Whoo!!!

Monty

...and I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now you're gonna die!!"

Terry Lane
Police Constable
Username: Tel

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 7:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read Ms Cornwell's book before I came across this forum, and before I got 1/3 of the way through I was asking myself 'Wot manner of rubbish is this?' My opinion, badly researched (or the research badly interpreted) and waaaaaaay off beam.

Catherine Ann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the point in expressing an opinion here if all that will happen is someone is going to be ridiculed if they have a different idea from your own?

Everybody's opinion is equally valid. My first thought about the Swansea man saying his relative was the ripper was that he was just after money or publicity. But if I thought one of my relatives was responsible I certainly wouldn't own up to it! Apparently he's discovered letters and the handwriting is comparable with some of the letters that the police received from the ripper (or who claimed to be the ripper). He was a royal physician who travelled a lot.

Somebody did do those atrocities, that's the only thing which is definite.

For instance if it was the Duke of Clarence, I strongly doubt, we'd never find out for sure because the Establishment wouldn't reveal the truth.

Similarly, if it was someone in the police force I doubt we'd find out! Also if it was a highly respected doctor.

Nobody writes a non-fiction book about the ripper just like that. I couldn't write one, unless it was pure fiction (and by the way I'd make him a whole lot worse.) :-)

So my own theory is that he was someone not on the suspect list, probably good looking and clean to attract the prostitutes and make them trust him. He no doubt had a bit of money as well. He possibly was a doctor, butcher or a horse slaughterer. He had to have a very tough stomach to do what he was doing. I'd have thrown up with the slightest sight of blood and guts.

So who do you think is the most likely candidate of these crimes? And what book do you think is the best?

Best wishes.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2900
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Catherine Ann

I agree everyones view is totally valid! and thats a point we should all, and 99% of the time do!

However 'good looking and clean' would IMHO be someone at the least 'suspect'.

My view is that he was an 'invisible man' someone the girls knew and weren't in fear of....now, whether that was a fellow 'local'.a policeman,a chummy gent or doctor can't as yet be reasoned BUT someone who could disappear on the streets is to what passes for nmy mind a good possibility!!!!

Books?? ..............Read Rumbelow,then take on some of the other super suspect writers...Fido, Fairclough, Hinton, Farson, Knight, Skinner, ODell, Harris and Matters should keep you reading for a while!!!!!!

Suzi

Maria Giordano
Inspector

Post Number: 450
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi (as usual!) is absolutely right.

In the squalor that was the East End someone cleanand good looking would stand out a mile and draw a lot of attention to himself not only from the frightened prostitutes but from the multitude of folks who'd want to mug him.

I really recommend Jack London's book about the East End to remind us what the place ws really like. sometimes we tend to romanticize.

Also, we're discussing. As Phil points out, anyone jumping into a discussion has to be willing to take the heat.
Mags

Terry Lane
Police Constable
Username: Tel

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 9:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So my own theory is that he was someone not on the suspect list, probably good looking and clean to attract the prostitutes and make them trust him. He no doubt had a bit of money as well. He possibly was a doctor, butcher or a horse slaughterer. He had to have a very tough stomach to do what he was doing. I'd have thrown up with the slightest sight of blood and guts.

Yep, I agree, Jack was probably a totally unknown (to us).

The list of Ripper Suspects is kinda like all those re-incarnated people - all were the Queen of Sheba, the King of Peru or some other illustrious personage - never ordinary folk.

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 782
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 1:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree everyones view is totally valid! and thats a point we should all, and 99% of the time do!

Suzi, I'm afraid I have strongly to disagree. this is PC clap-trap!!

I'd agree that everyone has a right to express an opinion or view, but that ALL views are TOTALLY valid...??? Sorry, much of what I read on here in Casebook is ill-argued, ill-researched, misinformed, and opinionated rubbish? It shows no discernment, background, or depth. How can one grace that as somehow EQUAL to the work and views of those like AP or Chris Scott who work long and hard to underpin their views with new facts and evidence; or someone like Glenn who is deeply rooted in criminalogical lore. I cite only a few names and i respect and read with interest the posts of many here.

But lets not confuse the dross and the "beliefs" of newcomers to the subject (seemingly often based on old/discredited books or films) with the "gold" of those who spend much time and effort evolving their views.

Phil

Harry Mann
Inspector
Username: Harry

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ill argued,Ill researched,misinformed and opinionated rubbish.Phil,why do you talk about yourself like that?
Very soon,if you have your way,there will only be about half a dozen people posting here.
Iam still waiting for the well researched,informed,non opinionated people like yourself,to solve the puzzle.Perhaps it is time you gave the other side a chance,at least they will do no worse than you.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 5:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Harry,

Yes, I too am getting the distinct impression that Phil thinks his posts are a cut above most on the boards, when it comes to speculating about the case.

And since when have his posts not been opinionated? That's what we do here, express and challenge opinions.

But Harry, there are no signs that Phil will ever get his way, and get to choose who posts and who doesn't. If anything, his posts will have the opposite effect, and encourage people to respond whenever they don't agree with him about something.

Love,

Caz
X

(Message edited by caz on September 01, 2005)

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 787
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 1:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry - at least then there'd be decent debate!!

Caz - you are welcome to your views. I took extended leave from casebook recently - clearly not long enough for your taste. I'm quite prepared to go again - and half-minded to anyway given the recent level of posts.

I do aspire to something better - but I claim nothing for my own posts. I am happy to defend my arguments when I advance them, that is sufficient.

Phil

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

everyones opinion is valid is probably taking it a bit far, no?

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Hill

Im sorry but when you took your extended leave there were people who said Thank God for that but there again we're always up for a ruck......but a well reasoned and serious ruck....

PC..... Clap Trap!!!???and yes???.....why????

You 'Do aspire to something better!' ......Dont we all .....but.....

Maria!/Caz THANKS!!!!!!

Suzi x

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2393
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi -Right on Sister ,Right On !
Nats
xxxx

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2903
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nats!!!! Ta!!!
Oh well have taken up on the 13 Millers Ct thread now this ain't worth arguing.............well our chums are always worth arguing with but!!!!!!

See ya at Millers Ct Nats!!!!

Suzi xx

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see the children have broken out of the playpen again.

And Suzi - while I was away, I didn't miss you one bit either. But it was the serious posters who contribute something that brought me back.

Cordially,
Phil

(Message edited by Phil on September 01, 2005)

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2396
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

....Suzi...got ya bover boots on?He needs sortin!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2905
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 3:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As the song goes......

"Lets go girls!"

Cordial????....never touch it!

Harry Mann
Inspector

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 5:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil,
The child, who at school,had cause to rubbish his classmates to cover his own shortcomings,has still not grown up.Shame on you,child!
A little tip from your headmaster.If you wish to debate with your equals,try the nearest kindergarten,or preface your posts with the message,'Only professionals please reply'.
Seriously though,I do feel yourself and Cornwell, working together ,would have the Ripper identified in no time at all.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 7:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,

I took extended leave from casebook recently - clearly not long enough for your taste.

On the contrary, I clearly wrote that, if anything, your posts will 'encourage people to respond whenever they don't agree' with you.

And that seems to be happening, which is healthy.

I'm more than happy for you to continue posting here for as long as you get something out of it.

We are all judged by what we write, and it is always an education to judge and be judged in that way.

Love,

Caz
X

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well said Caz!

Lets face it the 'raison d'etre' for these boards is to provide a form for debate......see the rider to the boards themselves to this effect .

There is somewhere for everyone here that's why it works!!!!

Suzi (just getting back into my pram having retrieved my toys!)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2907
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

F O R U M ! even!!!!!!

Oh well carry on chaps!!!!!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

F O R U M ! even!!!!!!

Oh well carry on chaps!!!!!

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 1:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry - I have never declined to discuss or debate with anyone. neither have I ever said that anyone has no right to post or express their view. That would be quite wrong, and you deliberately distort my posts (I think).

My point consistently has been to respond (in what i see as an appropriate way) to those posts which do not argue, produce supporting evidence or references, or even produce a line of reasoning, but simply state/assetrt a "belief2 or some such. I have done that with particular reference to posts which (in that same weak way) propose the royal conspiracy theory which has nothing to support it, has been shown to be based on non-existant foundations, and does not reflect historical fact.

What's your beef, Harry?

phil

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry.???......... your call..... we're all here!

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 800
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 2:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Suzi - you now work in packs? Like wolves?

You appear to have lost the power of independent speech (or do you await your pack leader).

Reminds me of McCarthyism.

Phil

Harry Mann
Inspector

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil,
Your post of Thursday above,and your posts on other threads,show clearly your disdain of persons you believe inferior to yourself.

Ill argued,ill researched,misinformed.
P.C. clap trap.
Dross and beliefs of newcomers based on old/discredited books or films.

The 'Gold' of those who spend much time and effort evolving their views.

Above is a small sample of the comments of yourself,which show a concerted attempt to split a once supportive and tolerant group of posters,and discourage the participation of eager newcomers.

I have no beef with you or anyone else,but step down off your pedestal awhile,and remember,the elite,of which you consider yourself part,have,after years of study,uncovered not one shred of evidence which leads to the identity of the Whitechappel Ripper,

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2910
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 6:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
i think we're all getting slightly carried away now, i must say.

Jenni

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2916
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 6:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hunting in packs......like wolves!!!!

Ive heard it all now!

Dont know about you but I wouldn't argue with one!!!!

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 804
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 6:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry - when have I ever claimed to be part of an elite?

Aspiring to high standards does not, surely, make one elitist? I always take my hat off to those who do the real work on this site - Chris Scott, AP etc. I am no more than a dilettante. though my interest does date back a few decades.

The words you state I use (and I don't deny it):

Ill argued,ill researched: why should I not state that to be the case if that seems true. many of the posts I have commented on recently have contained no argument at all - simply beliefs or assertions. Why not challenge them?

misinformed - again, I try always to point out why I think that is the case.

P.C. - I don't find political correctness helpful at all in studying historical periods. I think the remark was aimed at comments such as "all views are equally valid", which rather like the recent (in the UK) there is no such thing as failure, only deferred success - I regard as laughable.

clap trap - some of the arguments advanced are exactly that.

Dross and beliefs of newcomers based on old/discredited books or films - is not that the exact case? When we find the views of Knight and Fairclough advanced after this lapse of time? these books are at the very least based on shakey foundations. At worst, they cheat and mislead their readers. There are solid books (I listed authors such as Begg, Fido, Evans, Sugden, Rumbelow only recently in another thread) to which people should be encouraged to turn if they want to understand this case and have sensible views - I am talking here of customarily accepted standards. I cannot stop people reading anything from The da Vinci Code to the works of Zechariah Sitchin - I do so myself with pleasure - but it is one thing to read any enjoy, another to believe that these books are anything but clever concoctions, on the fringe of credibility.

Harry - I am on no pedestal. I claim nothing for myself, I urge no particular theory. I ask for (demand maybe) higher standards. If I express myself forcefully, I never shrink from explaining or discussing my views if asked.

By the way, I disagree with you on something else. I think the case has advanced hugely
since i started to read about the Ripper in the 60s. My first book was McCormick, which I still have. Unless one still seeks what is to me the rather simplistic end of "naming Jack", I think much can be said to have been done - in establishing detail about victims, suspects, the police work, the political background, the press and its influence, the context in terms of crime and culture.

Who has done much of this - not the journalistic theorists, but solid researchers such as those I have named above. It was just before 1988 that the books that were good history in the main, began to flow. Sugden is I think their epitome and acme, with the complete Sourcebook and the publication of many of the letters, close beside him. This is progress.

Not royal or masonic conspiracies, and diaries without provenance (whether Abberlines of Maybricks).

Phil}

Bob Hinton
Inspector
Username: Bobhinton

Post Number: 364
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 7:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Might as well have my two pennyworths.

I cannot agree that everyone’s opinion is equally valid. That is obviously nonsense. Everyone has an opinion and they should feel free to express it, but to assert that they are all equally valid or equally valuable is ridiculous.

Lets imagine you are on the operating table about to have a brain tumour removed. The highly qualified and experienced brain surgeon is about to operate when he is interrupted by the cleaner who insists on doing the operation his way because he has an opinion and it is equally valid!

Would you let a person who has absolutely no knowledge of mechanical details pull your car apart and rebuild it just because as a person he has an opinion of how it should be done and that opinion is as valid as that of an experienced mechanic? Of course not.

I fully support anyone’s right to promulgate his or her opinion – but you must equally support my right to dismiss it as rubbish if I think it is!

Maria Giordano
Inspector

Post Number: 453
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to set the record straight that I meant that a toff in Whitechapel would be conspicuous.

I too have to demur about the idea that everyone's theory is equally valid. It's still a sore point here in the States where some places don't want to teach evolution in the schools because creationism or whatever it's calling itself these days is an "equally valid" idea.

I would agree that everyone has a right to express what they think.

Everyone else has a right to discuss, take exception to and try to disprove it.

Mags

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4919
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re "all views are valid" : I think Bertrand Russell once said something to the effect that it is incumbent on both East and West to believe the propositions of nuclear physics - those who don't will be wiped out by those who do.

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2917
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THANKS BOB!!!!!!

Your two pennyworths often are worth more than most peoples 2/6d!!!!!

Sorry Phil, OK you think we hunt as a pack??? ..........then as a pack we'll disappear into the night!

Suzi xx

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 809
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm still trying to work out what Robert meant!!!

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2918
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 2:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert hasn't earned his 'Sage' position for nothing!!!!
:-)

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 907
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyman is my superior in that I might learn from him/her.

The above comes from an episode of All In The Family, the American t.v. program.

In it,a semi-retarded youth shows Archie Bunker how to use a carpenter's plane,as Arch has trouble with it....being all superior and such.

Pretty good advice.

Paul Begg once said in an old Ripperologist editorial...

" Of course,most times speculation doesn't lead anywhere or produce anything new....but its fun looking and hoping.."--April 2001

Great advice...

Who the cleaners are and who the doctors are are transient conditions....Once,I was a newbie. Now I'm in the middle of the road....who knows?

Maybe one day,I'll be able to operate.

We learn more from mistakes than successes, errors than correct answers all the time...and tolerance.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2920
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howie!!!

So true so true!!!!!Archie Bunker I always relate to Alf Garnett....a GREAT philosopher!!!!

Anyway if it wasn't for the mystery (!) what the hell would we all be doing here?..........

AND .......tell you what............. its GOOD that we're friends.................well most of the time!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.