Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through August 07, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Maybrick, James » The Diary Controversy » Maybrick as the Ripper » Archive through August 07, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

stefan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how did he die or is it still unkown?

Monty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Monty

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stefan,

Writers cramp apparently.

Monty
:-)

Mary Morgan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
Is there anyone here who knows about Battlecrease House? All the photographs I've seen do not show the front door. Could someone please inform me about the front door? Is the door the same one which was there when James and Florence Maybrick resided there? Did the door have a (frosted) glass panel in the upper half at the time of the Maybricks?

Sincerely,

Mary

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Mary:

There is a photograph of Mike and Anne Barrett with daughter Caroline standing on the front step of Battlecrease mansion which you can see in Shirley Harrison's book. I have no idea if the front door is the same as was there during the Maybrick's day. I think, as I recall, the door is solid but don't have the photograph in front of me. There may be a glass panel above the door. I hope this helps.

Best regards

Chris

Mary Morgan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Chris,
Thank you very much indeed. Yes, I have that photograph but the caption doesn't state the location. Cheers!

Regards,

Mary
} }}}

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Mary:

I am glad the information I gave you was useful. As I recall, it was Robert Smith who stated on these boards fairly recently that he had taken that photograph of the Barretts on the front step of Battlecrease. laugh

All the best

Chris

R.J. Palmer
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A lovely picture. Ms. G has a gioconda smile.

Thinking about the ol' diary t'other night, I found my mind still refusing to budge past how Mr. Maybrick and Mr. Ryan happened to chose the same mot juste on a number of occasions. ("Frequented my club."---a very unnatural phrase)

Suggestive, perhaps, of a post-1971 composition, placing it in an era where the Sphere Guide injects some sanity in an otherwise insane tangle of conflicting tales. It all makes the above picture very interesting, yet, studying the lines of their faces, the slightly chilly, evocative distance I see between the players, I can't quite make out what it all means...

Jim? or Florie?

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ:

Don't you think "frequented my club" is just the sort of phrase that someone would use who really doesn't know much about the Victorian era but who thinks it is the way a Victorian gentleman would have spoken? Excuse, me, RJ, but I am just about to frequent the lunch room in my place of work, ha ha. laugh In other words, the phrase "frequented my club" is just one more dud note in the Diary that does anything but ring true as an authentic document--just as in another inauthentic note the stagy ending of the Diary, signing it "Yours truly, Jack the Ripper" introduces the name "Jack the Ripper" for the first time to delight and astound the document's anticipated readership.

Best regards

Chris George

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ,

'...placing it in an era where the Sphere Guide injects some sanity in an otherwise insane tangle of conflicting tales.'

Glad you think so.

I wish I could find some sanity in the insane tangle of conflicting tales whichever era you prefer to place the creation of the thing in.

And then there's the small matter of the timepiece and who made the scratches, if your desire is to place those in the post-Sphere Guide era as well....

It would be wonderful if we could pop into that time machine, return to your era and see the forger busily taking detailed notes from Ryan.

But we've been here once or twice before.

Love,

Caz

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What did I say??

Whatever it was must have touched someone's nerves. Doesn't take much, does it?

Love,

Caz
(more touchy feely than touchy)

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent observations on the implausible first person use of "to frequent", RJP and Chris.
All the best,
Martin F

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately this doesn't help us find who wrote the thing.

It wasn't you, Martin, doing implausible and terrible things with the English language, in order to avert suspicion, was it?

Love,

Caz

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Caz:

Of course I agree entirely that none of this tells us who wrote the Diary. It's just that as I keep emphasizing, the document has far too many negative aspects than positives for it to be the true bill. Moreover, even if the dating of both the Diary and the scratches in the watch is uncertain, there is nothing whatever to prove that Maybrick was responsible for either, or anything in the official records that might indicate that he could have been the Ripper. Thus he remains a rather unlikely and implausible suspect, and one that seems thrust into the limelight for sensational purposes than that he really was the Whitechapel murderer.

I look forward with interest to your book on the Diary controversy nonetheless, Caz. No doubt it will provide many hours of companionship as the snow blows outside this winter.

Best regards

Chris George

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

An interesting question for me would be who had the overactive imagination to paint Maybrick as such a bad character, before the poor old cotton merchant with an arsenic penchant was 'thrust into the limelight' for what you describe as 'sensational' purposes?

I do hope you find the book informative and useful, Chris. Once you've absorbed all you want from the inside, you could always use it as a draught excluder in snowy weather.

Love,

Caz

John Hacker
Sergeant
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,

"An interesting question for me would be who had the overactive imagination to paint Maybrick as such a bad character, before the poor old cotton merchant with an arsenic penchant was 'thrust into the limelight' for what you describe as 'sensational' purposes?"

The centennial of Maybrick's death and Florrie's trial followed close behind the centennial of the Ripper killings. I don't think an overactive imagination was required.

A telly on in 88-89 could easily have provided the inspiration for the Maybrick as Ripper hoax.

I must confess that I am looking forward to your book as well. Hopefully it will give some interesting insights into the personalities of the people responsible for (cough) finding and marketing the Ripper forgery.

Regards,

John

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

I'll rephrase then - an interesting question for me would be who decided to paint Maybrick as Jack, and why Mike Barrett ended up with the finished product.

By the way, I do hope that nasty cough improves in the short time you have left to wait before you can see if the insights you are looking forward to are helpful. My mother-in-law swears by mustard pickle.

Love,

Caz

Qusay
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Many hours of companionship."

Too many Ripper books are written for this purpose. Too few for satisfaction.

<clink>

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, Qusay--

What are most books for, but for entertainment? What has Jack done, more or less, but stepped from the bloody streets of 1888 into the world of entertainment?

Chris

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David, Chris,

What an odd conversation. Chris has no doubt that this Diary book will provide companionship, and David says too many Ripper books are written for this purpose.

I'll be very happy if Chris is proved right, but it says nothing about the book itself, or its purpose.

Love,

Caz

Andy and Sue Parlour
Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello Caz,

Love your efforts in keeping the diary 'oops' journal debate going.

I hear rumours that the next 'Ripper' conference could be in Thorpe-le-Soken (where Sir William Gull grew up and is buried). Hopefully just in time time for the publication of our re-write.

A&S.

P.S. I hope it is a nice young female doctor who asks me to cough.

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andy,

Love all the amusing sound effects on this thread (cough, clink, oops), but they hardly make for an eye-opening debate about the journal, diary, scrapbook, whatever you want to call it.

By the way, I'm looking forward to seeing your new board game - I am hoping you will bring it to Liverpool to show around - splutter clink clink fizz chortle fnaa fnaa

Blimey, this could catch on!

Love,

Caz

Andy and Sue Parlour
Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,

It already has!

Sue and I will not be at con. We have been up to our ears getting 'Phantom at War' finished. It has taken us over 6 years. We have only just done captions to the 70+ photos. Our Publishers have asked us to be free for August/September as book launch imminent. Adam is looking after game etc.
Have a good time and we wish yourself & Keith all the best with book.

A&S

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Andy.

Tell me about it, I know the feeling of being up to the ears.

Sorry we won't be seeing you at the conference, but best of luck with yours too and loads of love to Sue.

Love,

Caz

R.J. Palmer
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz--Do you happen to remember which college or university Albert Johnson was working at when the scratches were discovered? [You could email me the answer if you prefer]. Thanks in advance for any help, RP

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector

Post Number: 253
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ,

I can email you, but out of interest can you say why you'd like to know?

Thanks.

Love,

Caz

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.