Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through June 23, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » Kelly Photograph - High Resolution » Archive through June 23, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2670
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A link for anyone interested in viewing a very high-resolution photograph of Mary Kelly. Its nearly 650KB in size.

http://casebook.org/images/kelly_trad_HUGE.jpg

Thought this might be helpful to those who do not have access to a clear and crisp copy of the photograph. Its amazing the number of details you can't see in the versions republished in the various books.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Rebecca Walker
Police Constable
Username: Beccainsc

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow!

Definitely Mary up close and personal.

Now I know my eyesight isn't great, but I was really hoping to be able to see the "F M" that I've heard so much about. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction? I know one of those fancy grids would be too much for this large picture. Maybe the smaller one with a grid, then I could reference back to the larger picture?

These posts on the details of the pictures are very thought provoking!

Rebecca

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2674
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rebecca -

Here's a grid of the traditional Kelly photograph. The alleged 'FM' can be seen in D5/E5. The F is to the far right of D5 while the M is in the left-portion of E5.

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Rebecca Walker
Police Constable
Username: Beccainsc

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Stephen!

I may have to go get my glasses changed as I'm still not seeing it, but at least I have a better idea of where to look.

What is the origin of the rectangular marking on the wall where the letters are located? It seems too uniform to be just random dirtiness or normal "wear and tear" like the area further up appears to be. Though perhaps this is a question to be posed on one of the other threads.

Thanks again!

I am bound and determined to find these mysterious letters!

Rebecca

Michelle E
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having just barely finished watching 'The Diary of Jack the Ripper', may I point out, that the 'F M', would be blurred due to the compression used by a JPEG file. Also the enlarged picture would distort the image.

The orginal viewing of 'F M' would have been taken from the orignal copy. Of course if the supposedly fake diary hadn't stated 'a clue'. Then this would have carried on being unseen.

Michael Richards
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that the "FM" referred to in the photo appears in grid # G4 actually. I dont claim to be an expert on this point, but I recall all references to the initials mentioned "above the body". They appear to be eithered written on, or perhaps engraved into the wood. Another point on the location....it is believed that she her head was on the upper right of the bed when the fatal cut was delivered, then moved back onto the middle of the bed and placed in a way that made the mutilations easier to execute. I would imagine by the resulting damage that she would have been laid open so to speak...arms splayed out, and legs, bent open and separated. Once he had accomplished what he wanted, he posed the left arm with the hand in the abdominal cavity, and the reason for the almost complete amputation of the right arm may have occurred becaues he could not position it the way he wanted due to the beginning of rigor mortis. I think that the estimated time he took allows for the preliminary stiffening, and that same thing may have been what he was doing with the circular cuts on the legs. He could'nt move them the way he wanted, so he tried to remove them instead. Does'nt her pose seem to be some kind of symbolic message to anyone else? I mean with the obvious pulling and pushing that would go on with the pulling free skin and organs her body would have been lucky to remain intact at all, let alone in such an almost a natural pose in sleep for example. She was posed, I think in an indecent manner due to her occupation and her killers hatred for it.

John R. Fogarty
Police Constable
Username: Goryboy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent photo enlargement, SPR. For the first time in 26 years (and Bog knows how many viewings), I can actually see the split femur up close. Definitely not the work of a Lister knife or other standard amputating blade, but likely the result of a hatchet or axe.

Incidentally, the alleged "FM" are indeed in the grid sectors Stephen described: D5 and E5. Unquestionably spurts of arterial blood that jetted from Kelly's neck at the onset of the Ripper's attack, not deliberately drawn initials.

Thanks for posting the pic, Stephen. Do you have the second view in King-Size as well?

MJK, second view
Cheers,
John e-Rotten
(a.k.a., Goryboy)

Mark Goeder
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How does arterial blood squirt on the wall and form an almost perfect " M "

Im am sure blood would continue to run down the wall instead of forming an " M ".

Mark

RosemaryO'Ryan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mark,

Blood is a strange substance and its 'life' is a mystery, too. There are tales aplenty of of the remarkable miracles that human blood have effected
in the diverse cultures of our species. In this instance, I would agree with your observation re,
gravitational orientation.
But what I do find rather sinister is the almost complete lack of blood, arterial, or otherwise... so I am forced to consider the miraculas nature of Kelly's blood as being one possible explanation
in this regard.
Rosey :-)

John R. Fogarty
Sergeant

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Mark:

Arterial blood can jet from the carotid in many weird and wonderful ways. In this case, I think (and this is only my opinion) it spurted to Mary's right, splashing the wall in a jagged fashion, no doubt because she was thrashing and flailing for her life. Thus, it could just as well have formed a W or an N.

As to its not running down the wall, we have no way of knowing, as the final stroke of the "M" is hidding by the mattress. However, I feel fairly certain the blood did in fact run down the wall from both vertical splashes.

Still, I certainly understand why you (and many others) would be convinced the killer daubed an FM on that wall. It does look like those initials (especially since reading the diary). But I believe the blood jetted all over that wall and that the power of suggestion may make us see only the FM.
Cheers,
John e-Rotten
(a.k.a., Goryboy)

Daniel R
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it be possible for someone to produce a closeup picture of what is considered to be the 'F M' initials?

I think I spot the 'M' but cannot for the life of me see the 'F'.

Thanks,
Dan

John R. Fogarty
Sergeant

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan:

The F is in cell D5, but runs into the line separating D5 from E5, just left of the M.
Cheers,
John e-Rotten
(a.k.a., Goryboy)

Priscilla M Steele
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this photograph on the site, and was wondering when it was taken, and if there are anymore photos in exsistence of the site, and the room etc. Anyone know? Door

Robert Clack
Sergeant
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Priscilla

The photo is from the movie "From Hell" and is not the genuine site.

The only photos I am aware of are the two of Mary Kelly's body, one of the outside of her room in Millers Court, taken on the day of her murder, and two of the entrance to Millers Court taken in 1928 by Leonard Matters, one of which is on the victorian london page (whitechapel then and now).
There is photo allegedly of Millers Court in "The Jack the Ripper Whitechapel Murders" but this hasn't been confirmed as genuine.

Rob

Clement Unger
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great detailed photo,In this photo the rectangular object on the table looks too deep to be a newspaper, although when viwed in the other photo it looks more flattened. What i wonder is the box below the bed?

John R. Fogarty
Sergeant

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clement:

The mess on the table is flesh from Kelly's thighs and abdominal wall, while the box (actually a large, wooden bucket) is a slop pail. The room had no lavatory.

Squalid? Yes. Disgusting? Most assuredly. But fairly typical for the time and place.

Incidentally, if the supposed "FM" initials written in blood on the wall were truly hand-painted initials, the police would have noted this. But there is absolutely NO MENTION whatever in any of the surviving police files, interviews with Abberline, etc., of any initials noticed. Thus, I firmly believe that what we take to be bloody initials are in fact bloodstains spurted onto the wall.
Cheers,
John e-Rotten
(a.k.a., Goryboy)

Valerie S.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, new here a couple of observations I made. Is that a hand print on her left calf? And why does she only have one garter on? More importantly, why is there very little blood on the garter, just a smudge or two? given the close proximity to that gaping wound on her thigh, you'd think it'd be saturated in blood. It almost looks like someone put it on her leg after the slaying.

Leanne Perry
Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 414
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

I still see the word Hart on the wall. Look at C5 and you can make out a large capital H, next to it I can see a large lower-case a, (mostly withing the square D5), r and t are fully within D5.

I can make out the FM in this photo, but have seen others where only Hart stands out to me.

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Inspector

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

Can anyone else see this now that I've pointed out exactly where it is? Look at different versions of the same photograph and don't look for letters as small as FM.

LEANNE

Leanne Perry
Inspector

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

You could say that the right-hand verticle line of 'H', is just part of the square pannel thing, well then consider that it could be a lower-case 'h'.

I'm not ready to argue that this was put there by the killer, but it's spooky, considering her heart was taken.

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 301
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne

I can't make out anything in this picture, though sometimes I think I can see all or part of it in book photographs.

Robert

Leanne Perry
Inspector

Post Number: 441
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Robert,

It's not as dark as the 'FM', so maybe that's a problem. But since I spotted it, it appears to me in a lot of versions of this photo!
If it did exist, it couldn't have been a random splash of blood!

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Leanne, I've just woken up! I've been looking at the small picture. Now I've remembered the huge picture and had another look at that, I think I can see something that looks a bit like "Hart", though whether it is actually a word, I'm not sure.

What do you make of the rectangles above the head of the bed?

Re the second photo, before I joined the Boards I'd just assumed that the police took down the partition and photographed her with the window in the background. But on the Boards the opinion seems to be that the bed was moved for the photo, and that it's the door behind. I suppose the police and doctors must have moved the bed at some point so as to see under it properly. But if the photo was taken after the bed was moved, then they must have moved the bedside table too in order to preserve the relative positions of the furniture.

Robert

Leanne Perry
Inspector

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Robert,

The 'Daily Telegraph', 13 November 1888, says that on the morning of Mary Kelly's inquest after the jury was sworn they were: 'conducted by Inspector Abberline to view the body...and subsequently the jury inspected the room in Miller's-court Dorset-street, where the murder was committed...The position of the two tables was not altered.' I'd say that the police moved things as little as possible, and definitely wouldn't have taken down any partitions.

I've always thought that it was the door showing at the back in the second photo. The photographer probably stood at the end of the bed, leaned right over to get a good angle (was this possible with a tripod?), showing how the door banged on the table once it was opened.

The rectangles above the head of the bed are just part of walls design.

LEANNE

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is under the table at the base of the bed? Looks like a pile of cloth to me.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.