Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Researching old newspapers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Researching old newspapers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Julia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 1:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, everyone,

I'm in the process of getting registered as I really enjoy this site!

Here's a technical question: I have been trying to figure out how one goes about researching newspapers from the period of the murders. The problem is that I want to browse French newspapers for a related thesis I am working on and am having a heck of a time locating archives and obtaining information about whether the publications exist in microfiche form or if it is the actual newspaper. Either is fine, but I am in the U.S. and to go to France to look through old newspapers is a possibility--in fact, I would like nothing more!--it's not really feasible at the moment.

Any suggestions? I bent the ear of Chris Scott already with this question and he offered a couple of websites, but I guess due to my inexperience, I was unable to get information from them.

Cheers!

Julia

Alex Chisholm
Detective Sergeant
Username: Alex

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Julia

The British Library lists several French publications among its Newspaper Collection.

The online catalogue can be searched at:

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/newspapers.html

If you find what you want you can order photocopies of individual extracts or issues. Alternatively, full runs of newspapers listed can be order on microfilm.

Hope that’s of some use

Best Wishes
alex

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A very large metropolitan US library or perhaps a good university library should have at least a Paris newspaper or two archived on microfilm. Good luck.

Andy S.

(Message edited by aspallek on February 16, 2004)

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 855
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Before I try writing off for this, I wonder if there's a helpful someone out there with a run of one of the East End papers for June 1888 (East End News, East London Advertiser, East London Observer, etc), who would be willing to look up a couple of articles for me? If so, would you mind dropping me a line at oflaherty@casebook.org? I notice some latter editions have been transcribed so maybe someone has purchased microfilm?

Thanks,
Dave

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.