Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Was Annie Chapman buried twice? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Was Annie Chapman buried twice? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sadie Jones
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

I've already posted this on another message board, but I thought I'd post it here in the hope someone could answer my question.

I was reading up on a few things in the library when I came across a book about the east end then and now. I've been cross-referencing books to get a better feel for the case and this book had info on Whitechapel and JtR. I made some photocopies to bring home for my own perusal (I already had decided to take out several books and was weighed down!!). Later when I was reading through, I came across a photo of a guy standing at the original burial site of Annie Chapman. It stated that Annie Chapman had since been buried again (I presume somewhere else). Is this true and if so can anyone tell me the reason why?

Thanks in advance,
Best wishes,
Sadie.

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sadie

Annie Chapman's grave was reused by someone else, so I believe she may still be there. Common graves are usually reused at a later date. I presume bodies are buried at different levels. If Annie's body was removed from the site I can only think her remains would have been disposed of by some means. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in these matters might know.

All the best

Rob

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 349
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chapman was indeed buried in a common grave and I am quite sure was never exhumed per se. The grave is in a disused portion of the cemetery if memory serves -- at least an area no longer used for burial -- therefore it is possible that her meager remains along with dozens of others were relocated at some point.

Andy S.

apoorv
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can anybody tell me about martha turner's grave? is it tabram or turner? I've been searching since last few months but have not found any picture or reference about her grave,also i would like to know why she isn't considered as a ripper victim?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.