Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through January 15, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Sorting the clues » Archive through January 15, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sarah Long
Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 407
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan,

I am relieved that someone else doesn't know if this all has anything to do with what Monty is on about.

I read that Liz Stride moved into at 35 Dorset Street sometime shortly before 1885 and by 1886 she was living somewhere else.

This 33 Dorset Street is bugging me and this misprint you mention of 38 seems to be the only place I've seen it. Where is it listed as 33?

Sarah

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty, if this is the person I think it is...would I be right in thinking that you are building a case against him?

Robert

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 599
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah & Alan….Guys,

OK, this isn’t some great mystery solving moment. Just something that sticks in my head.

Alan is right regarding my reference to Stride. She was quoted at being at Dorset st. But that’s not what interests me. Its the Devonshire St link the gets me excited. Have you ever seen where Devonshire st used to be ??

Right, some more pointers,

1) Look at the Hames testimony...cheers Yuppy !
2) The Eddowes link with Mile End.
3) Strides OTHER link with Poplar.
4) Ada Wilsons assault.
5) Myletts Murder.
6) Start pinpointing these (and other key sites) on a map.
7) Yards.
8) A newspaper report found by the fantastic Mr Scott regarding unusual behaviour in the area of Devonshire St.

These are just indicators. The conclusions must be yours.

Does it point to Jack? I honestly don’t know. But it does point to someone who should be looked at more closely.

That’s all Im going to say right know because it wouldn’t be fair on me to mention names due to the fact that someone else is working not on these links, but on a connection of sorts right now…..and please don’t take this as a suspect being promoted. As far as I know its just being looked at.

But remember, that there is more than just the small area around Whitechapel and the time period between 31/8/88 & 9/11/88.

Guru Monty
:-)

PS Robert. Not any evidence really. Just odd connections. It would be unfair to label this person as a suspect......interesting never the less.

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

I'm confused about Devonshire Street. I went to the Victorian London A - Z Street List and when I looked up Devonshire Street the following came up:-

Devonshire Street East, St Benet, MILE END OLD TOWN [1862]
Devonshire Street East, St Peter, MILE END OLD TOWN [1862]
Devonshire Street East, St Simon Zelotes, BETHNAL GREEN [1862]
Devonshire Street West, St Bartholomew, BETHNAL GREEN [1862]
Devonshire Street West, St Peter, MILE END OLD TOWN [1862]
Devonshire Street, CITY - BISHOPSGATE WITHOUT
Devonshire Street, Cambridge Road, BETHNAL GREEN [1871]
Devonshire Street, Chiswick W4 [1997]
Devonshire Street, Christ Church, SHOREDITCH [1862]
Devonshire Street, Christ Church, ST GEORGE IN THE EAST [1862]
Devonshire Street, Christ Church, ST MARYLEBONE [1862]
Devonshire Street, Holy Trinity, ST MARYLEBONE [1862]
Devonshire Street, Lambeth Church, LAMBETH [1881]
Devonshire Street, MILE END OLD TOWN [1871]
Devonshire Street, Marylebone W1N [1997]
Devonshire Street, Old Kent Road, CAMBERWELL [1871]
Devonshire Street, St Barnabas, ST MARYLEBONE [1862]
Devonshire Street, St Clement, ISLINGTON [1862]
Devonshire Street, St George the Martyr, HOLBORN [1862]
Devonshire Street, St Mary the Less, LAMBETH [1862]
Devonshire Street, St Marylebone, ST MARYLEBONE [1862]
Devonshire Street, St Peter, ISLINGTON [1862]
Devonshire Street, St Stephen, POPLAR [1862]
Devonshire Street, Trinity, Newington, ST SAVIOUR SOUTHWARK [1881]

So, quite honestly I have no idea which Devonshire Street we are talking about.

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

Devonshire st Mile end old Town.

To be honest I wouldnt get too worked up over it.

Its the locations of Myletts murder & Wilsons assault, Eddowes sleeping 'arrangements' and Hames statement regarding Smith.

As Ive mentioned above, Im not really trying to lead you anywhere. I could be oh so very wrong. Im just trying to show that there is more out there than what we are looking at. And when I look around my head keeps turning to the area of Mile End & Poplar.

Monty

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

I must admit I have come across Mile End and Poplar quite often too but I've tended to not pay it much heed. In the timeline for Liz on here it says she said the address was actually Devonshire Street, Commercial Road. Is this still the one in Mile End Old Town?

I will have a look at your other points now.

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

I cannot find a Devonshire st off the Commercial Road.

But If there is one I bet you its towards Mile End.

Im off till tomorrow now. Catch me when you can Mishter Long.

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

I realise that Ada Wilson was attacked in Mile End and Rose Mylett was killed in Poplar High Street but these can only really be taken into account if you believe Jack committed these crimes. I've often thought that Rose MAY have been one of his but I don't think Ada was, but maybe she was. Who knows?

Sarah

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty, RJ Palmer once pointed out to me that there is a Devonshire St fairly close to Berner St. He used it to suggest a way that Kidney could have known where Stride was - the idea being that a friend told Kidney that Stride was nearby, and Kidney then nipped round and killed her.

Robert

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah, Robert,

Sarah,

Fair point. Take away their location and we could say the same of Liz and Mary.

Robert,

Interesting. Id like to know where that is because I cannot find it.

Monty

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty, a bit pushed for time now but later I'll try and find the thread with RJ's post and the map reference that it contained.

Robert

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

I've been scouring an old victorian map for Devonshire Street and I can't find it anywhere. Whereabouts is this Devonshire Street in Mile End? This map dates back to 1859 so I don't know if it didn't exist then maybe. Also I can't seem to find any of the other murder site on it either, I can find Goulston Street but Mitre Square seems to have vanished.

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

Have you a copy of Cornwells Book...the hard back ?

If so then check out the map in the very opening of the book.

Look for Globe Rd, Off Mile End Road, Mile End (its fairly distinctive).

Start from the bottom of Globe rd (where Stepney station is)and work your way up checking the names of all the streets/roads that join Globe Rd from the West (left for you Blondes)

In todays money it would be in the Cephas rd area.

Robert,

Many thanks.

Monty

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

No, my shelves are Cornwell free. I may go and have a peek in the library or nearest bookshop though. Going to check the other map again though with your directions!! Must remember, West is rig..no, no left!! Doh!! People are starting to know me too well!!

Sarah

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

Actually the road you pointed me to was Devonshire Street West. Opposite this road is Devonshire Street East so maybe this isn't the same Devonshire Street as the one we're looking for. Did you notice Cleveland Street though, just coming off Devonshire Street West?? Just noticing things.

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

Ooooohh...now you find it.

Aye, noticed Cleveland st....not the Cleveland st though.

But like I said, its more than Just Devonshire st.

Monty

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

I've started looking at Kate's link to Mile End but can't find a thing. Also, what do you mean by Liz's OTHER link to Poplar? Which is her first link? The coffee shop??

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 612
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

Yep, the coffee shop....not far from Myletts murder site.

Kate stated that she knew who her killer was. Tosh ?? Perhaps. Who recieved this little piece of info from Kate ? Where did they work ? If it was made up, who made it up and why ?...especially if it was Kate....and Ive not even mentioned the theory behind the mutilating of her face.

Emma Smith was spotted on Burdett Road/Farrence st area before her demise. Im not saying she was one of Jacks...infact Im very anti that. But its another Mile End link.

There is the Merriman st incident. Again, nothing to link it with the events during the following Autumn but something happend in that area.

All this will lead us no nearer to Jack. The reason Im pursuing this line is because Im a firm believer that he didnt just keep to the Whitechapel area. I feel there were other attacks (sucessful and not so).

So far, the only ones I can find outside his assumed area is in Poplar and Mile end.

Any advances ?

Monty

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1837
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty

It's on General Discussion/How many people did ol Jacky really kill?/RJ Palmer post of Sept 8 at 8.36 AM.

Robert

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,

You sounded like you were getting awfully excited in your last post.

I didn't pay much attention to the address of the coffee shop, I will now though. I believe Polly wasn't his first, although it's hard to work out who was. I'm not sure about murders after Mary.

Sarah

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, Sarah,

Robert,

Found it !!!

Many thanks.

Sarah,

Excited ? Moi ?? Id like to think of it as passion.

Monty

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 436
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Monty, what was Kate's link to Mile End then?

Sarah

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oooo is it something to do with a casual ward?

Monty
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 625
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

What ? Im supposed to do your leg work now ??

Ask Tris !!

Yep, the casual ward. Where is it located??

Monty

Sarah Long
Inspector

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Errr...Mile End.

I thought I might just relax and let you do all my running around.

Sarah

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.