Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

CLEAN HOUSE?? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » CLEAN HOUSE?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kris Law
Sergeant
Username: Kris

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I desperatly need to know why the Price Albert Public House was known locally as a "clean house" . . . if anyone knows anything about this, please help me. It seems to me that this would mean the pub didn't sell alcohol, but this seems odd.

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Kris

I don't know where you picked up this characterization that the Prince Albert public house was known locally as a "clean house" but I should think it simply means that it was a better class and well kept pub compared to some other establishments that might be termed dives, e.g., a characterization that might fit places along the Ratcliffe Highway or other locales near the docks.

Best regards

Chris George

Kris Law
Sergeant

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hallo Christopher,

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Not the type of place that allows ragamuffins in, eh?

I took that characterization from the Jack the Ripper A-Z, and I believe also from Letters From Hell, but I could be wrong on the second one.

Thank you for the help Christopher.

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi KRIS!
oOOOOOOOOOPS SORRY ABOUT THOSE CAPS!
A Clean House 'eh........hmmmm I agree with CTG with the interpretaion! for what its worth!.
Wonder if the Cloak and Dagger College St would qualify???? (Hope not!)
Hope you're good Catch ya later'eh?

Cheers

Suzi x

Kris Law
Inspector

Post Number: 389
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suzi,

The Cloak and Dagger on College St. might have been a Clean House before we were there the other night, but it certainly isn't now!

-K

Maria Giordano
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I envy you guys!

Stuck here in Upstate New York.
Mags

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Chief Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 656
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I was under the impression, especially from tales of the American frontier, that a clean house was one which did not allow prostitutes or known troublemakers.

Aside from that I agree with Chris.

All The Best
Gary

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.