Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 06, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Sorting the clues » Archive through November 06, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 6:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just time constraints, mmmm? Nothing like straps then, ay?

Cheers, Mark (just wondering)

Monty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Monty

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott, Marie and Mark,

I checked this 'Edge play' thread out thinking it was a reference to Cricket.....

....Imagine my surprise......

old Fashioned Monty

Scott Medine
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sem

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crickets come under the crush fetish section.

Peace,
Scott

:-)

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marie,

Your youth ?? Why you must still be in your youth....I just get smoother every day....or is that oilyer

Any band I know ??

Scott,

Crush fetish section ?? I think I shall call for my cup !

This edge play stuff then....any link to our mails ??

Saddam,

I....but...erm....yeah...bye.

Monty

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marie,

I was on a Interview under caution course (part of my job)a few weeks ago and they taught us the '7 points of an interview'. One was always go into your interview with an open mind.....I may have heard of you...dont assume...

.....or were you that bad ??

Monty...who shall stop clogging this board..sorry!

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marie,

Monsters of Goth ?!?!?!?

Scarehead ??

Never heared of you !!!

Im more of a half man half biscuit man myself....sorry....but Im sure you were good !!

Monty

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marie,

What building ??

What mail ??

Monty

PS Half man Half biscuit came up with such gems as 'Trumpton riots' & 'all I want for christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit' !!!

Monty
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2003 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marie,

And Ive replied

You've not ate him have you ??

Monty

Donald Souden
Sergeant
Username: Supe

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still being relatively new to the Casebook site, I have been chasing down loose threads whenever possible and came across this one the other day.

It was started by R.B. Nunweek with the suggested purpose of allowing readers to post "the main points or clues that they feel have a distinct bearing on this mystery."

That seemed to me to be (if you will pardon the expression) a ripping good idea and I eagerly began to explore the posts. Alas, they quickly degenerated into another "slanging match" between the pro- and anti-profiling factions as well as those who feel the murders were sexually motivated, lust-for-domination motivated, the results of early school failures, road rage, soccer hooliganism or who knows what else.

Probably a losing battle, but it might be fun to restart the thread using Richard's original criterion: that posters set out the one aspect of the crimes they consider most interesting, most telling, most anomalous . . . well you get the idea. Sticking as closely as possible to accepted fact would helpful.

Meanwhile, perhaps someone could set up competing "Profiling: Threat or menace" and "Profiling: Boon or Benefit" threads to satisfy those who still can't believe someone doesn't agree with their position on the subject.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 3:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Donald,
Yes I remember starting that thread, believing if everyone, put forward their best ideas, or clues, we could decifer them and see if some picture emerged.
So lets start it off.
My main intrest has always been Mary jane kellys time of death, was it between 230am - 430am, or 830am -10am, for taking witnesses into account, and actual time the body was discovered, one of those two time assesments should be right.
My main clue , would be statements made by Hutchinson, and mrs Maxwell seem to go together
Let me explain.
Hutchinson said 'Kelly said 'Oh I have lost my hankerchief'
Maxwell was reported to have said amongst her statements ' Her eyes looked queer as if she was suffering from a heavy cold'
My point being if Kelly was killed at the time 230am -430am , taking into account that she required the use of a hankerchief at 230am, if Maxwell did not see her ,why was the remark about looking like she had a cold, not some comfirmation of her telling the truth?.
There is just one problem with this, many years ago [ thirty] I read' Her eyes looked queer' from a book, but i can not find it. The nearest to it came I belief from Donald McCormack s edition saying,' she appeared all muffled up , like a cold'
Question where did the author of the unknown book, and McCormack get this wording from, have further extracts from Maxwells statement gone astray in the past?.
So to sum up . I feel that if we could find comfirmation that Mrs Maxwell did say ' Her eyes looked queer, as if suffering from a heavy cold'
Then in conjunction with Hutchinsons ; Oh I have lost my hankerchief' it would give a lot more credence to her telling the truth, for she would have not been able to make that statement ,if she had not seen her.
Regards Richard.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 4:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard

I don't want your thread to turn into another Barnett thread, so I'll avoid the time of death issue. But what you said suddenly made me think (I do that once or twice a year, you know): why on earth should Kelly go out in the rain at 2 AM (which we can feel confident she did, from Hutchinson's statement) in just her dress? Why not put on the pilot coat? Same applies next morning, if she's still alive.

I think if she had a cold, she'd have at least thought of putting the coat on. But whether she had a cold or not, I find it odd that she didn't wear the pilot coat.

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 6:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er, Robert, I don't know if such things applied back then, but these days, certainly, whenever young women go out of a night, pubbing, clubbing, looking for male 'talent', whatever, they would sooner catch their deaths (if you'll pardon the inference) than be seen in unflattering outerwear, or indeed any outerwear.

This from the October edition of Viz:

Stockport overcoat n. A thick coating of glitter spray which, when combined with a boob tube and miniskirt, keeps the young ladies of the Cheshire town snug and toasty on the bitterest of winter evenings. A Bigg Market duffle coat.

Love,

Caz

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 6:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz

Blimey!

Robert

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,
I agree with caz, when my daughters were a bit younger, you would have thought they never owned a topcoat, it is considering only a hindrance to hide away all the fancy tops , and skirts ,which are more flattering,
I would say as Kelly was after business, the last item she would have worn was a pilot coat, why hide the goods on offer.
Richard.

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I might be out of my time scale here by a few centuries, but surely in the LVP nobody - not even whores - wore just a dress?
I thought the undergarments to be voluminous.
Somewhere I seem to remember reading an article concerning a gentleman who took thirty years to hack his way through his bride's undergarments before he was able to consumate the marriage.
Caz, I'd go along with your thoughts if you were talking about post first world war fashion and attitudes to baring flesh but I reckon in the LVP modesty and common sense prevailed, even amongst whores.
Photographs from the time seem to confirm this.

Sarah Long
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 7:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately it is true Robert. I've seen many young girls dresing like that on a friday or saturday night. Personally if it is cold I will wear trousers and only wear skirts in the summer. Although these girls are usually somewhere between 16 - 18 in my experience so that they can make sure they get past the doormen.

With regards to MJK having a cold, has it occured to anyone that Maxwell's remark of "her eyes looked queer, as if suffering from a heavy cold" could also point to the fact that MJK might have been crying. When you cry, your eyes puff up and go reddish. This could also occur when you have a heavy cold. Both are very similar.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah,
I Wish I could get comfirmation of that quote, surely there is someone out there, that has seen that before it has to be a publication before 1975, because I brought it up with Colin Wilson in my first correspondence to him then.
Sarah , the upset observation is fine except , that would imply that when Maxwell saw her ,kelly had viewed another corpse in her room, and screaming hysteria, would be a better description , if that was the case.
Richard.

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 5:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP,

You may be right about the layers of undies (although Eddowes went without drawers or stays, for example), but Robert and I were talking about the pilot coat, rather than modesty or baring flesh. The Viz quote was by way of illustrating the point with a humorous extreme.

I can still understand why Kelly, in mid-twenties, would not have chosen to don this coat to go out on the pull.

Put it this way. At the Xmas Smoke & Stagger, some of us go in costume, and I for one won't be scouring the charity shops in the coming weeks for a pilot coat to wear over my gear when tripping off down Brick Lane after midnight for bagels and hot chocolate. Where's the fun in that?

Love,

Caz

(Message edited by Caz on November 06, 2003)

(Message edited by Caz on November 06, 2003)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.