Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Icons by Request Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » New Icons by Request « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Scott Nelson
Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I request that they be removed. These boards should encourage serious scholarship. Goofy icons are for the gossipy artsy-fartsy crowd who feel compelled to post something every single day just for attention.

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With one exception: Leave the whip-cracking icon. That's a good one. It represents the sense in which the Ripperologist needs to whip the case evidence into shape.

Saddam

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 572
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I absolutely like the icons, and I think they are an essential feature to the boards (my favourite is the happy ones and the frustrated "bang-my-head-to-the-wall"). Sometimes one must be allowed to play around a bit, I feel, and not take everything so seriously. I'd say there is a lot of intelligent and important high standard research done on the boards in general anyway, and a discussion board is more than a place for "scholarship" -- it is also a social thing.

Another thing about the icons, is that they fill an important role in avoiding misunderstandings. If one adds an icon to show one's emotions, there will be no doubt of the contributor's intention. I think that is the real purpose with the icons to begin with. There is nothing wrong with entertaining features on message boards.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

glenn,

see
jennifer

Belinda Pearce
Police Constable
Username: Belinda

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I LOVE these things I am addicted to them I only wish I had ones I could carry around and wave at peopleMORE

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 830
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

The icons are great! Glenn once pointed out to me that I should put a smiley icon in my post to ensure the other readers when I type a cheeky comment, or something that could be taken the wrong way, that I'm not seriously angry or agressive.

LEANNE

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's noewt wrong with the smileys and friends, just can we have one playing cricket, please.

Cheers, Mark (with the slow right arm over the wicket)

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 628
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But please,

Loose the flags, PLEASE!!!!! Am I the only poor bloke here who uses a 56k modem????? A majority of the funniest and mostly used icons lay in the second half - after these cursing millions of flags, that take forever to download. And noone uses them anyway!

I also forgot to add, that apart from those two I mentioned above - the "banging against the wall" and the one with the silly smile (see the one in this message), I also like the "big cry" icon very much; kinda cute, and God knows it has been useful occasionally...
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Ally
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ally

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second that...actually this is the third or fourth time I've mentioned the *#@&!! flags. They used to be seperated out so they could be used but they didn't load first but it may have something to do with programming why they aren't now. Dunno. But I agree...flags are a pain.

Sarah Long
Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about getting rid of them all together but maybe they should go at the bottom because it is annoying when you are trying to get to the bottom half of the icons.

Sarah (this one needs a blonde sister!!)

(Message edited by Sarah on December 19, 2003)

Frank van Oploo
Detective Sergeant
Username: Franko

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last summer (no, not ‘Last Christmas’ ) we came on the boards at about the same time, and since then most of the times we didn’t agree – which resulted in good discussions, by the way - but this time I completely agree with Glenn . Except for these darned flags, the icons do have a purpose, they can put the right tone to your post. And besides that, it’s simply good fun using ‘m.

All the best,
Frank

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They replace tone of voice which we don't have with print. An outrageous insult becomes a harmless joke when accompanied by a smiley. I like them.

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 852
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is bothersome with the flags, is that they take forever to download for those of us who use an ordinary 56k modem! And when I say forever, I mean FOREVER! And I really don't think that they are used to such a great extent that this very annoying detail is acceptable. I'd say: get rid of them or put them last, on the bottom of the gallery list.

Please Stephen! Do something about it!!!

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on December 25, 2003)
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 853
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah, Frank, Diana.

I agree with you all.

Hey, Frank: you're having a ball, I see... :-)
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Michael Raney
Sergeant
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I agree the flags are sometimes a pain while you wait for all of them to load, but I like them and would like to see an additional one. A gay pride flag, you know, 6 color rainbow. Red, orange, yellow, green, indigo and violet.

Mikey

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael,

Considering that the flags are representative of territories and not ideas, by wishing a gay pride flag you are suggesting that they should all be located to their own little country far removed from straight people.

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where is the german flag btw.?

Christian

ok then: 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 :-(

Michael Raney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,

I see your point. I would never want to be separated from straight folks. Who would I have to make fun of???? However, Most of our flags were once representative of an idea. The idea of Freedom and Pride. That's my point.

Mikey

Ally
Inspector

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah but the ones in the icon list aren't representative of an idea, they are representative of countries or territories of some sort. If your idea gets a flag and gets to be displayed, then how about the KKKs flag being allowed for someone to post everytime you post your gay pride flag?

Political ideologies ought to be kept off the main boards and only in pub talk. Otherwise, there could be a whole little war carried out in icons.

And considering I am two steps away from being banned and have no patience for bigots (unless they hate the French, or Republican Presidents, or..okay I like some bigots)..anyway, starting a political sling fest would be bad.

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Michael,

I agree with Ally. I am not worried about your sexual interests, it's you as a person which is important. By the way, what happened to the seventh colour?

Cheers, Mark (how about Notts County's shirt badge as a new icon?)

Michael Raney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I understand your point Ally, and I've been on the boards long enough to know it would end up being taken as a political statement and then someone would start a war.

Mark,
It's so totally NOT about my sexual interests. Being Gay is about WHO you love, not HOW you love.

OMG......I just made a political statement. Ok, I am NOT, I repeat NOT trying to start a war. I promise not to make another request for that particular Icon on this or any other board.

Cheers,
Mikey

Michael Raney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOPS! Somehow I double posted.

Mark, I don't know what happened to the seventh color. I do know that the six color rainbow flag has been in general use since 1978 to represent gay pride.

Mikey

(Message edited by Mikey559 on February 02, 2004)

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Mikey,

Yes, of course, you have a very good point there. It can be so difficult to find love anywhere in life so I do not wish to stop anyone no matter who they love. I hope you have a partner and have found such love. (I have been with my Lady Mary now for nine years and she makes my life feel more fulfilled).

Thanks for the information about the flag; I hadn't realised it had been in use that long. Did its use start in America and come to Britain at a later date?

Cheers, Mark

John Ruffels
Inspector
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops!it appears my message has to have at least twenty five words in it. Otherwise the terrific line up of clip-art symbols I had witilly arrayed
above...

Michael Raney
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,

Yes, the Gay Pride Flag was first used in America, in Chicago in 1978. I'm not sure when it reached the rest of the world. I do know that it was in use in Ireland (Dublin) by 1990, so I would assume it was in England sometime before that.
And yes, I do have a partner, John for the last 5 1/2 years. Thanks for asking.

Mikey

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. I can understand that some people want to keep the flags here -- we are all different, but if they are so interesting, why are they so seldom used?

I would vote for getting rid of the flags, but if that meets too much protests, at least -- place them last in the clip-art library! Please!
As I said, not all here have access to broad-band...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 698
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

The flags themselves don’t bother me one way or another.

But here’s a funny thing. When we do our weekly grocery shopping, our route takes us down a long and winding tree-lined road called ‘The Glade’. All the houses, a mixture of detached, semis and bungalows, and their front gardens, are well-maintained and neat - the epitome of the green and pleasant land that snores gently between Outer London and the heart of the Surrey countryside.

I can’t put my finger on exactly why, but I always have a little involuntarily shiver as we pass one particular abode, as if the place is afflicted by a chill wind that never drops. Its most prominent features are at least three white and red St George flags waving in the breeze.

I don’t know if the occupants need a permanent reminder of where they are, or perhaps who they are, but I can’t help feeling that the temperature on the outside wouldn’t be compensated for by a warm and friendly welcome extended to all-comers from within its walls.

And I would be in no rush to move in next door either.

Love,

Caz

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Caz,

Yes I know what you mean.

I am proud of being English. I am proud of the flag of St George. But I have no wish to fly one, let alone three, outside my house. I feel people with such an ostentatious display of patriotism probably have suspect political views.

Cheers, Mark

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.