Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Updates on the suspects/victims/etc..... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » Updates on the suspects/victims/etc... pgs. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I first started visiting this site, I never went to the boards and I always went to the suspect’s page. I just think updates should be made on the suspect’s page, victim’s page, Frequently Asked Questions, and so on. For example, if a new discovery has been made about George Chapman, I think it should be added in. Also, if there is a new, serious suspect discovered, I think they should be added in. Or even an old suspect that has not been posted up. Basically, just updating those pages so the "non message board" users have something new to look at every once in a while. I find myself going back to those pages to find out more, but unfortunately, it has been the same for a while.

Christian Jaud
Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe,

very good point.

Not only because "...users have something new to look at every once in a while" but also simply to keep the info on this website up-to-date. After all, it's the non-plus-ultra research place in the net.
The problem will be that this regular updating is a lot of work for one host or webmaster. Maybe Stephen can get people to help him.

Christian

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure what help anyone can offer in making updates to the site (I'm guessing Stephen would want to reserve that privelige for himself or someone he knows well). But if it's a question of his just having some raw documents which need transcribing, like the Press Project, I'm always up for it. I'm sure others are ready to help, too.

Christian, I'm glad to see that you're surviving another Oktoberfest in Bavaria :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Christian Jaud
Sergeant

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only just, Dave, only just..
:-))

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2853
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I definitely agree that the site should be kept up-to-date - in the case of the suspects page, it is woefully under-representative, and please, ANYONE who would be willing to help me fill in the empties (suspects who aren't yet up there), please contact me at spryder@casebook.org.

The idea of offering a "What's new" section on every witness/suspect/victim/police official page is intriguing - sort of a quick hit-list of small discoveries and corrections. I'd have to give some thought as to how to implement such a thing... though I think I'd need some sort of editorial staff to assist in the process, bring new items to light, help decide whether or not a "new" discovery can be independently verified, etc.

Any volunteers? :-)

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Jason Mullins
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Count me in :-) I'd love to help.

Christian Jaud
Sergeant

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen,

I love to help ( tried to start with the photo-section, e.g. Berner street-site, remember? ;-)

I try to figure out other things I could do from here, although it's gonna be difficult.
Almost no chance re Press reports. But should I find a german contemporary article I'll translate it and contribute.
If there's anything else I could do, please give me a hint.
Love the casebook
;-)
Christian

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,
may i suggest a on the boards section updating casebook readers as to anything significant developing on the boards?

jennifer

Robert W. House
Sergeant
Username: Robhouse

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this is a good idea, especially in the sense of updating the suspect page to reflect the current state of research into the case. I would think (ya right) that perhaps some of the regular visitors to casebook could come to some sort of consensus about which suspects are the most plausible or at least who deserves to be on the suspect page at all.

Maybe the suspect page could be broken down into different sections, the same as how the victims page is separated into sections. For example, separating the more plausible suspects from the left-field candidates such as Lewis Carroll. Or maybe it should exclude those suspects entirely. Or maybe it could be sorted by some sort of rating system, although the current rating system seems to be heavily influenced by certain recent pop culture books (Sickert) and the prevalence of theories which are derived from popular movies etc ( Royal Conspiracy). I would prefer to see some sort of rating system based on a more serious study of the case, as opposed to just popular voting. My 2 cents.

Rob H

Dan Norder
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Didn't know where to put this, but this seemed like about the best place.)

Any chance the reference on the Intro to the Case page about the axe being used on MJK's leg will be removed? The jury is still out on that one (I'd go so far as to say it appears to be extremely unlikely), and unsubstantiated speculation probably doesn't belong in a section intended as an unbiased summary of the case.

D. Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Norder wrote:
"Any chance the reference on the Intro to the Case page about the axe being used on MJK's leg will be removed? The jury is still out on that one (I'd go so far as to say it appears to be extremely unlikely), and unsubstantiated speculation probably doesn't belong in a section intended as an unbiased summary of the case."

>>Mr. Norder writes with cynical presumption, and has no idea what the terms "speculation" and "bias" mean. Nick Warren has offered his considered surgical opinion that an axe of some kind was used on Kelly, based on the actual crime scene photos. I wouldn't call this speculation, or at least it isn't speculation on the order of that offered by Stephen Knight concerning the prince. We're talking about what a medical doctor thinks based on actual photographs. Not that I necessarily agree with Dr. Warren on this matter, but we've got to think about what is well-founded and what isn't if we are to solve the case. The suggestion to remove the reference to an axe concerning Kelly is basically a potshot taken at Warren, not a critical thought. It should be noted that evidence exists that an axe might have been used, but the point is unproven.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.