Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Rules of Conduct Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Casebook Issues » Rules of Conduct « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2852
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,

Since our various changes in February 2003, I have to say that, on the whole, I have been very impressed with the manner in which the vast majority of posters have handled themselves on the Casebook. A great deal of the previous acrimony and infighting which plagued these boards has now disappeared, and I want to thank all of you who have respected the new rules of conduct, and for presenting yourselves in a manner which allows for positive-minded, constructive debate. I hope you all have found the Casebook forum to be a better place today than it was twelve months ago.

Unfortunately, problems still do occur, and lately some minor flare-ups have appeared from various sectors. Some temporary user suspensions were handed out this morning for repeated infractions, and I want to make sure everyone is clear on how the system works.

It is basically a three-strikes policy. First strike, you receive an explicit warning via email. Second, a temporary suspension. Third, a permanent suspension.

If you have received warnings via email concerning your behavior on the Casebook, please heed them. There are no second warnings.

I'm sure there are those who disagree with my policies concerning conduct on the forum, and they're more than welcome to. The Casebook message boards are not meant to please everyone. Luckily, there are many, many options out there for those who no longer feel at home on these boards. Following are just a handful, in no particular order:

http://www.jacktheripper.de (German)
http://www.jtrforums.com
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/James_as_Jack/
http://www.crimebuffs.com
http://www.hollywoodripper.com/forum/default.asp

As always I welcome comments and suggestions - please feel free to email me at spryder@casebook.org.

Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi
i don't really have anything to say accept that i have always enjoyed these boards and since feb and the changes your position has always been clear.
i certainly won't be doing anything deliberate to get chucked off!
thanks
jennifer

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 380
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen:

I can understand the action you took and as you know I had issued a call for the people concerned to cease and desist. However, I will say that the two posters are both intelligent and useful contributors to these boards even if they had got into a rut in their debate in which neither was going to give way, with much repetition of similar statements and regurgitated information to the extent of boring the rest of us to tears. blush

Although charges of misconstruing each other's words occurred, I don't think either person had any ill intent, so I would urge that both be treated leniently and let back into the forum as soon as you think wise, and with the hope and possibly a warning that the same loggerheads debate not be renewed here.

Stephen, when all is said and done we are here as your guests on your site, and we all should know that we need to abide by the house rules that you set, which is a fair and just situation. As ever, I appreciate this site for all it has to offer. Thank you, Stephen. applaud

Best regards

Chris George*

* Might I now be nominated for the Casebook sycophant of the year award? Pity we just suspended the rating system for excellent posts! lol

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't forget that EZ Board is still out there. link{http://pub77.ezboard.com/bripperites}. Unmoderated so far, I believe, and originally set up as a place for off-topic posts. Why, I'm going to make one now.

Dave

Ally
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ally

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Dave I will join you. There are still a few things relating to the closed topic that I would like to discuss.

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

Chris, sychopant of the year would certainly be a wonderful award to be presented with. At the risk of competing with you for the award myself, I am in full agreement with all of the points you raise.

All The Best
Gary

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to make a plea. Could we sort of hold remarks like "...you'll have to read the rest in my upcoming book" or "I have solved the case but I'm not ready to give the details yet" to a minimum? I don't mean any disrespect to anyone but these remarks are getting a little tiresome. If you can't provide details, just don't provide them. Don't tease us.

I know of no rule being broken by posters who do this. This is just my personal plea and I hope I have not offended anyone by making it.

Thanks much,

Andy S.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andy,
Point taken.please be assured that leanne and myself, are not using the site for book promotion. Obviously as I have said before, although we cant reveal all details of the contents of the book, we enjoy entering into discussions on relevant topics.
As for teasing readers, that is certainly not our intention, certain snippits have been revealed, which encourage debate, I would gladly go into more possitive mode, after the book is released, but for obvious reasons both of us cannot before.
I Appreciate that it may seem annoying to some, and to those concerned my apologies,I shall therefore on my part, not use the phrase, 'Its in the book' again.
Regards Richard.

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's OK, Richard. Part of it is probably jealousy on my part. I've always wanted to write a book on this case. I believe I'm a decent author as I've had some scholarly material published and managed to write a comprehensible thesis. For years, my distance from the primary sources was the obstacle. Now much of that's available in book form or online. Now my obstacle is lack of time. There is no way that I would have the time to devote to writing a book in the foreseeable future.

So, have at it!

Andy S.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andy,
Leanne and myself ,also have always wanted to write a book on this subject, Leanne has wrote many articles for Ripperoo, in which she is much involved in.
I wrote many scripts for English newspapers, in the 1970s , regarding this subject, with some fascinating theorys[ so I thought] but always received polite very intresting But' replies.
I Corresponded with a leading crimonologist, for several months, he was extremely keen on my views.
When Leanne approached me around march this year, I Was flattered that she suggested we co wrote a book,for I held her opinions in high regard, but like yourself my profession gives me precious spare time, and it is difficult to make time, but it can be done if one has the desire, and I believe its like two people dieting together, the motivation is stronger.
Thanks for the post
Richard.

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 829
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'Day Andy,

I see your point and will behave from now on. What Richard said is right. I was writing all these articles for Ripperoo and getting no financial reward, and after reading all these books that were written with little research behind them, I thought I'd team up with another enthusiast.

This site will get heaps of credit. Sometimes I'm tempted to introduce an issue, so it can be debated and have every angle considered.

LEANNE

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.