Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Regular Customer? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Newspaper Articles » Regular Customer? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diana

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It appears that most of the victims lived in or around Dorset Street. Suppose there was a regular customer who had been serviced by the victims many times. He maybe lived in or frequented Dorset St. They thought of him as harmless. Then something happened to make him snap. It would explain why they trusted him even after the scare became widespread. "It's ok to go with 'im. 'e's safe as houses. I knows 'im".

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,
A very plausible point, I believe the killer lived in that immediate vacinity, and lets face it who would you trust most, a partner of one of their own?
Richard.

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

Quite possible -- at least I don't find it implausible that he at one time or another could have been a customer of prostitutes. And I also believe he lived in the area. Whether he really knew them or not, I dare not speculate. But it is possible, by all means.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Alan Sharp
Sergeant
Username: Ash

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana

I'm going to hark back to that John Douglas profile again. In Douglas' opinion "Jack hunted nightly for his victims" and "Many other women would have come into contact with this subject but were not assaulted because the location was not secure enough."

If Douglas' profile is accurate then you are quite right, Jack would probably have been a fairly familiar face around the haunts where the ladies of the night hung out.

Diana
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diana

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So if Jack had been caught the surviving Whitechapel prostitutes would probably have said, "'im? 'e's not Jack. 'e wouldn't 'arm a flea. I've gone wi' 'im lots o times."

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably, Diana. Probably.

Yes Alan, I think Douglas' opinion might be correct.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No evidence whatever indicates the murderer was a regular customer of prostitutes in Whitechapel.

Saddam

Alan Sharp
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ash

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking through the press reports for something else I came across this yesterday:

Another "unfortunate" alleges that on the Saturday night, an hour or so prior to the latest tragedies, she was accosted by a man in Shadwell, who desired her to accompany him to a dark court or alley in the neighbourhood. She refused to go anywhere except to her own house, and the man, finding her firm in this determination, at last left her. She disliked from the first the peculiar look of the man, who, she is convinced, is the murderer; and she adds that she could easily identify him again.

I must have read this four or five times before but because of this thread it suddenly jumped out at me this time. Funny how I find myself frequently dismissing reports like this out of hand, when in truth there is every possibility that this woman actually had a lucky escape.

And Saddam, there is no evidence whatsoever to indicate that he wasn't either. That's why people speculate.

Petra Zaagman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, indeed Saddam..
but anyway, a point IS set.
And, lots of other serial killers were outwardly normal persons. It's a very good possibility that Jack was indeed not suspected, just because 'he wouldn't harm a flea' many others were, so why not Jack?

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many is "regular" ?

Does it depend on how many victims ?

Monty

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Sadders,

The case can't be prooved either way; it's just an interesting theory which is worth considering.

Cheers, Mark

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saddam,

If we were going to fully adapt your harsh criterias for how to study the case, we wouldn't get anywhere whatsoever! There is assuming and there is speculation; there is a difference between the two...

Cheers, mate!

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Shannon Christopher
Detective Sergeant
Username: Shannon

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saddam, coin toss. No evidence either way. He may have been a client, he may have been the street sweep who always wanted to have one, and couldn't afford it. IMO, he lived in the area and more specifically so did the women. They may have been murdered in a wide area ranging from Hanbury on the north, Bucks' Row on the east, Miter Square on the west, but all of the women lived within a two or three block square on Flower & Dean / Dorset street.

Shannon

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All,

Ah, but I haven't even begun to tell you how harsh my criterias are! Not only harsh on the evidence, but harsh on ourselves as well! Time, high time is nigh, when every last bit of Ripperology, and the Ripperologists too, will be put to the ascetic whip!

Saddam

Erin Sigler
Police Constable
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arthur Shawcross, a notorious New York serial murderer I've mentioned in another thread, was well-known to the prostitutes he killed and considered a harmless old man (he was only 44, but looked older). One of his last victims was a notoriously tough pro that even the police thought would be safe from him. Although I haven't heard as much, given the looks of the man suspected of being the Green River Killer, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this were the case with him as well.

Mara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the John Douglas' profile on the site? I would like to read it. Thanks.

Peter Sipka
Police Constable
Username: Peter

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mara,
If you go to Joseph Barnett's suspect page, you'll see a comparison between Barnett and the "F.B.I. Profile." of Jack the Ripper. This is the best I can do for you.

-Peter-

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or -- if you would like to go a bit further (since the FBI profile comparison to Barnett is somewhat incomplete) -- read his book The Cases That Haunts Us, where it is displayed more fully.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.