Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Research Assistance Needed at Univers... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help Requests » Research Assistance Needed at University of Oxford « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2781
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone live near or have access to the Oxford University libraries? There are three 19th century musical scores that I'd like to obtain copies of, but so far my requests to the library have gone unanswered. If you think you might be able to acquire these copies, please contact me at spryder@casebook.org - thank you!
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Spry!
I suggest you try writing to Ralph Leavis, c/o Lincoln College, Oxford. The musical genius son of the critic F.R.Leavis used to live a wildly independent life in and around Oxford, assisting at any choir or music group that happened across his peripatetic movements. I see he is still writing to the Oxford Mail, so he is probably still there and probably still living as a one-man adjunct to enrich other people's musical lives.
All the best,
Martin F

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen P.,
If you get someone other than Leavis Jr. to volunteer to go to the Oxford University libraries for you, you might like to get them to check out something in the Bodleian Library: (that is, if you are not already familiar with this item).
I am speaking of - (and this is passed-on information)- something in the John Johnson Collection.
Aparently in the journal of one, GEORGE AUGUSTUS SALA, is a reference (dated November 5th, 1892):
"Murder madness prompted by Dr Neill Cream's imminent execution.." mentions also Deeming and Jack The Ripper ( whose work closely resembles that of OLIVER CRAIKE -the anti-hero of a novel
PAIN (PAID (?))IN HIS OWN COIN published only a few weeks before the discovery of the first Ripper body. Author E.J.GOODMAN.
A Ripperologist colleague of mine , the late F.Eric Hermes, of Cheltenham, mentioned this in a letter to me in the 1970's.
I am having a clean-up!

Alexander Chisholm
Sergeant
Username: Alex

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evening All

As it was mentioned by John, I thought a brief review of “Paid in His Own Coin,” from the Pall Mall Gazette 20 Sept. 1888, might be of interest.

“PAID IN HIS OWN COIN.”
“Paid in His Own Coin.” By E. J. Goodman. Three Vols. (Richard Bentley and Son.) At the present moment, when the horrors of the East End have whetted the taste for, and the interest in, mysterious murders, the present story ought to prove attractive. A young medical man is accused of having caused the death of his father-in-law by administering some strange narcotic, unknown to the medical world, and two drops of which cause a deep sleep, ending in death. The story opens on the scene in the law courts at the end of the trial of Dr. Wynd for murder. He is acquitted for want of evidence, but the uncharitable public declines to believe in his innocence. A gaunt, red-haired fellow who day after day has watched the case with keenest interest – his one interest in life being the study of cases of “scientific” murder – dogs the footsteps of the accused man, and eventually discovers that the latter is indeed the perpetrator of the crime, and is paid in his own coin by being killed in his turn. So far, so well; and if the outline of a plot could make a tale successful there is no reason why the author should not have written a readable book. But after it has been said that the plot is not bad, there remains absolutely nothing more to be said in praise of the novel. Among the puppets who are dragged before the public to represent the “characters” there is not a single one which can boast of possessing an average quantity of common sense or intelligence; and never for a moment is it possible for a reader to have a fellow-feeling for any of the imbecile creatures crawling along towards the final denouement with all its sensational absurdities.

Best wishes
alex

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.