Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through May 07, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Annual Conferences on Jack the Ripper » Liverpool Conference UK - 2003 » Archive through May 07, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Claudia Oliver
Police Constable
Username: Liverpool2003

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear all,

It gives me very great pleasure to officially announce that the UK Jack the Ripper Conference for 2003 will be held at the prestigious Britannia Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool, England from Friday 15th August to Sunday 17th August 2003.

We are still in the early stages of confirming speakers, and you will be updated as soon as we have further information but it promises many delights and surprises. If you remember Bournemouth – then Liverpool is going to be bigger and better even than that! If you haven’t attended before, then you don’t know what you’re missing!

In the mean time we are now accepting first stage registrations and deposit payments. If you would like to receive further information please contact us at the email address below including your full contact details and indicating if you would prefer to receive your registration details by post, fax or email. Keep reading your copy of Ripperologist for updates or email us to join the conference mailing list.

This year the expenses involved in running the conference have increased so that the full delegate package will cost GBP£200.00 per delegate, secured with a deposit of GBP£60.00. But I am sure you will agree it is worth every penny to attend the UK’s only Jack the Ripper conference. The venue is indeed an impressive one…

Famous for featuring in the TV series ‘Hotel’, the newly refurbished Adelphi offers its guests a wealth of facilities including 5 restaurants, car parking for up to 110 cars and a Health & Leisure Club. Set within 3 minutes walking distance of Lime Street Station and within easy access of the M6 and M62, the hotel is just a short distance from many of Liverpool’s famous attractions, putting the Adelphi in the very best location for a weekend away!

For those of you who wish to travel from London to Liverpool we are anticipating the provision of a FREE rail pass for each delegate. Please indicate on your registration card if you wish to be included in this first come first served offer should it become available to us.

This year your conference organisers are as follows:

Claudia Oliver – administration, hotel confirmations, finance and registration
Paul Begg - speakers and events
Andy Aliffe – publicity and advertising
Adam Wood - conference materials and design

Should you have any queries, to receive further information or to join the conference mailing list, please contact us by email at: liverpool_conference_2003@yahoo.co.uk

From myself and on behalf of the conference team I look forward to receiving your application and welcoming you to Liverpool in August 2003!

Yours sincerely,

Claudia Oliver

Conference Administrator
Jack the Ripper Conference, Liverpool – 2003

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mmmmm

This seems to be rather too handy for the Poste House where you all can go and swap diaries.

Cheers, Mark

Christopher T George
Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Claudia:

I am pleased to see that plans are moving along for the Liverpool convention. Since Liverpool is the city of my birth, for me, this is an event that I want to be certain not to miss!

Claudia, if you will, could you confirm who the deposit cheque should be made out to, and the address to which the cheque should be sent?

Many thanks

Chris

Caroline Morris
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mark,

If you mean The Poste House in Cumberland Street, known as 'Liverpool's smallest pub', playing sardines might be a more realistic option than swapping diaries!

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Caz,

You're back.

I thought you had died and was about to make a collection for your wreath.

Cheers, Mark

Caroline Anne Morris
Police Constable
Username: Caz

Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No Mark, the spirit of Caz is more alive and kicking than it has been for quite a while.

So who's up for the conference then? Should be a laugh and a half!

Love,

Caz

Claudia Oliver
Police Constable

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Just a quick note for all those of you that have had the details of the conference but haven't reserved your place or are in two minds about whether to attend.

Two thirds of the places have already gone. That means there aren't many left, and the conference hasn't even been advertised in the magazines yet, so I expect them to go quickly over the next month.

Please don't miss out if you plan to attend.

Regards,

Claudia

Claudia Oliver
Police Constable

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Just a quick reminder that there are just six weeks to go to get your registration forms in for the Jack the Ripper Conference 2003 in Liverpool, UK this August. More than two thirds of places have already been taken so don't be disappointed - get your registrations in asap!

If you have already verbally confirmed your attendance, you have until the end of April to get your deposits to me.

For more information email me at liverpool_conference_2003@yahoo.co.uk

Regards,

Claudia Oliver
Conference Administrator
Jack the Ripper Conference 2003

Judith A. Stock
Police Constable
Username: Needler

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got off the phone with Claudia and promised I would post this reminder to all:

THERE ARE SIX WEEKS LEFT TO RESERVE A SPOT IN LIVERPOOL. IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON BEING AT THE ADLPHI HOTEL IN AUGUST, YOU HAD BETTER MAKE CERTAIN YOU HAVE RESERVED A SPOT. DEPOSITS ARE £60 PER PERSON, AND ARE DUE ASAP, WITH BALANCE OF £140 DUE IN JULY. CLAUDIA TELLS ME A PAYPAL ACCOUNT HAS BEEN ADDED, SO IF YOU ARE INCLINED TO PAY THAT WAY, JUST E-MAIL AND ASK HER.

liverpool_conference_2003@yahoo.co.uk

This will be another good one, guys....and poop on not flying!! I'll be there with bells on!!

J

Conor Egan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey just a minor question here.

With this conference how old must you be? I'm 15 and have read Patricia Cornwelll's Portrait of a Killer and find it highly intruiging. I'd be flying over by myself (from Australia) and would also be takin the ferry over to Ireland later on to see my family. I just don't want to waste time and a lot of money going over there and finding out I'm not allowed in.

Thanks in advance.

Claudia Oliver
Police Constable

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Conor,

I don't have a problem with it. If you could email your details to me at liverpool_conference_2003@yahoo.co.uk I will double check with the hotel but I see no issue with allowing you to attend if you are interested in what we have to offer.

I presume you have already checked with the airlines regarding age limits for travelling alone?

Regards,

Claudia
Conference Administrator

Christopher T George
Sergeant

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Claudia and Conor:

In 1956, after I first emigrated to the United States, I returned to England for my school hols at age 6 via the Belgian airline Sabena with my name tied to me. It was a prop plane and the plane took 12 hours to traverse the Atlantic, stopping in Gander, Newfoundland, and Cork, Ireland. So I should think, unless regulations have changed dramatically, that Conor should be able to travel alone with no problem but you are right, Claudia, that he ought to doublecheck. Conor, I look forward to meeting you in my hometown of Liverpool.

I am at present reading the book The Cameo Conspiracy: The Real Story of the Cameo Cinema Murders by George Skelly, about a double murder at the Cameo Cinema, Smithdown Road, Liverpool, on March 19, 1949, i.e., on this date 54 years ago! The trials for the case took in St. George's Hall where Florence Maybrick was tried and convicted 61 years earlier, and the plot to rob the Cameo was hatched, the police alleged, in the Beehive in Mount Pleasant, close to the Adelphi Hotel where the August 15-17, 2003 convention will be held.

The outcome of the trials was, apparently, a miscarriage of justice in which an innocent man named George Kelly was hanged for a crime he did not commit. There was no direct evidence, forensic or otherwise, to directly link him to the crime or the crime scene, only the "testimony" of persons who themselves had records and apparently had reason to lie.

Author Skelly makes the case that Kelly was framed by the police, and specifically by Det. Chief Insp. Herbert Balmer, and certainly in two trials, the judges possibly influenced the juries with misleading instructions not unlike Judge Stephen in Florie Maybrick's trial. The book is a fascinating look at the British justice system. As a result of Mr. Skelly's book, the conviction of the executed man, George Kelly, is currently under review. Mr. Skelly tells me that there is to be a preliminary hearing at the Appeal Court on April 3rd.

Best regards

Chris

Claudia Oliver
Police Constable

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

This is another reminder that you have less than four weeks to get your deposit payments and registrations to me for the Liverpool Conference 2003.

If you are planning to attend but are holding off until the last minute to send me your payment please send me a verbal confirmation that you will be attending as places are running low and you may be disappointed if you don't reserve a place now.

Please remember that you can pay by Paypal for an instant deposit and I can send a request for payment to you if you're not sure how to use it. This is particularly useful if you are coming from overseas and payment is likely to be delayed by airmail.

Please be reminded that if you wish to attend but are local or would simply like to attend on a day to day basis, special day delegate rates have been negotiated with the hotel. This also applies to those who would like to attend and bring a partner who will not be attending conference but will be staying at the hotel and making the use of the time to visit Liverpool. Please let me know if you have not already, if this would be of interest to you and I will forward the necessary information.

If you have already confirmed your attendance but have not sent me your deposit payment please remember you have just three weeks to get your money to me. A verbal confirmation will not be sufficient after 1 May 2003 as I have to pay the hotel your reservation fee and if you have not paid me I cannot reserve a place for you.

Time is now starting to run short!

Regards,

Claudia Oliver

Conference Adminstrator

Claudia Oliver
Police Constable

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

There are just 19 days to go before the deadline for registrations for the Liverpool Conference 2003.

If you are planning to attend but are holding off until the last minute to send me your payment please send me a verbal confirmation that you will be attending. Places are now running extremely low and you could miss out if you don't reserve a place now.

You can pay by paypal for an instant deposit and I can send a request for payment to you if you're not sure how to use it. This is particularly useful if you are coming from overseas and payment is likely to be delayed by airmail.

If you wish to attend but are local or would simply like to attend on a day to day basis, special day delegate rates have been negotiated with the hotel.

If you have already confirmed your attendance but have not sent me your deposit payment please remember you have just 19 DAYS to get your money to me. A verbal confirmation will not be sufficient after 1 May 2003 as I have to pay the hotel your reservation fee and if you have not paid me I cannot reserve a place for you.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Regards,

Claudia Oliver

Conference Adminstrator

Jennifer L. Mohney
Police Constable
Username: Bootsoffire

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Claudia,

Hi there! I am new to the board and new to the entire Jack the Ripper phenomena- but find myself so interested in everything and have such a desire to learn that I have been reading ripper books left and right. I have actually considered returning to university and doing my Masters degree on the Ripper case. To get to the point- would the Liverpool conference be a good idea for someone that has just begun to examine all of the works out there? What exactly happens at your conferences? Last but not least- I can’t remember if L’pool has an international airport- is Manchester still the closest? I’d be coming in from the States.

Ta,
boots

Jennifer Mohney
Police Constable
Username: Bootsoffire

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Claudia,

Thanks for the email with all of the info. I'll be giving you a 100% answer in the next day or two if I can attend or not. Hope so (fingers crossed)!

Jenn

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jennifer:

I hope you will attend the Liverpool conference. I have now attended three Jack the Ripper conferences, one British (2001) and two American (2000 and 2002) and I think I can speak for everyone who has attended such affairs that at such meetings the talks are informative and the gathering overall friendly and interesting. I thus hope you will have the opportunity to attend! I will be there, as will a number of people whom I have known, British and American, from the prior meetings. As an aside, I am also originally from Liverpool, though now live Stateside in Baltimore, Maryland, and if you have any questions about Liverpool that I can answer, I will be glad to do so if your care to e-mail me.

All the best

Chris

Claudia Oliver
Police Constable

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Just a short reminder that there are just 7 days to go before the deadline for registrations for the Liverpool Conference 2003.

Regards,

Claudia Oliver
Conference Adminstrator

Claudia Oliver
Police Constable

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Just a short reminder that there are just 7 days to go before the deadline for registrations for the Liverpool Conference 2003.

Regards,

Claudia Oliver
Conference Adminstrator

Zkot
Police Constable
Username: Humanvulture

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Chris, Judith, Caz...

Count me in for my third Ripper conference as I'm all paid up for Liverpool!

If this conference is even half as intriguing and informative as those in Bournemouth and Baltimore then it will truly be both time and money well spent indeed. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Cheers!

Scott (with a Z)

Claudia Oliver
Police Constable

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

One more quick reminder that deposit payments and registrations for the Liverpool Conference 2003 must be in this week and don't forget cheques need time to clear!

You can pay by paypal for an instant deposit and I can send a request for payment to you if you're not sure how to use it. This is particularly useful if you are coming from overseas and payment is likely to be delayed by airmail and held up by currency conversions.

If you wish to attend but are local or would simply like to attend on a day to day basis, special day delegate rates have been negotiated with the hotel.

If you have already confirmed your attendance but have not sent me your deposit payment please remember you need to get your money to me this week. A verbal confirmation will not be sufficient after 1 May 2003 as I have to pay the hotel your reservation fee and if you have not paid me I cannot reserve a place for you.

Regards,

Claudia Oliver
Conference Adminstrator

Bruce Tonnermann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who are the speakers at this conference?

Claudia Oliver
Sergeant

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bruce,

We are still awaiting definate confirmations from our intended speakers so I would not want to announce who was going to be there and then they are not. The speaker lineup will be announced prior to the conference, or just as soon as they are confirmed.

Hopefully I can confirm sooner than that. Updates will be posted here as always.

Regards,

Claudia

Bruce Tonnermann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for that but what a pity. The names and calibre of speakers is a relevant factor in deciding whether to attend such an event or not.

Claudia Oliver
Sergeant

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear all,

I am very pleased to be able to announce part of our speaker line up for the conference in August as follows:

Professor David Canter
Christopher George
Michael Huie

And welcoming our special guests:
Colin Wilson and Robin Odell who, 15 years on from ‘Summing Up and Verdict’, will be giving us a retrospective look back at events.

Also welcoming back our host Jeremy Beadle.

Please be aware that this list is subject to change at any time due to unforeseen circumstances.

See Claudia Oliver for more information at liverpool_conference_2003@yahoo.co.uk

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.